PDA

View Full Version : Blow moulded eskies

threedogs
6th April 2017, 04:25 PM
Does anyone use one of those robust looking blow moulded Eskies..
I use a baileys ice box with added 25mm of polystyrene on the lid.
It stays out in the sun with no problems at all, its an 85ltr job.
Best ice box Ive ever seen. With these blow moulded ones do they
have insulation or are they just hollow, I would squirt some 3 in 1
into the cavity if I owned one.
What do you use other than a Waeco or Engel or similar???
Dont start me on Techni ice Grrrrrrr

Winnie
6th April 2017, 05:38 PM
Does anyone use one of those robust looking blow moulded Eskies..
I use a baileys ice box with added 25mm of polystyrene on the lid.
It stays out in the sun with no problems at all, its an 85ltr job.
Best ice box Ive ever seen. With these blow moulded ones do they
have insulation or are they just hollow, I would squirt some 3 in 1
into the cavity if I owned one.
What do you use other than a Waeco or Engel or similar???
Dont start me on Techni ice Grrrrrrr
I have a cheapie, it's a willow brand and not sure what size but fits one slab and ice.
I use it when going to parties and stuff. Ice lasts one day in summer and 2 in winter which is all I ever need it for.

Why does techni-ice make you angry?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

threedogs
6th April 2017, 05:43 PM
over rated IMO, we did tests camping on the Murray in Summer.
It did not last one full day. I wouldnt trust it, plus if you want to use it outback
you have no melt water in case of an emergency,
Might be for some like a day trip for some roadies but thats about it>

It got me angry cause I was sucked into buying a heap, with the gaurantee
it was better than ICE

Winnie
6th April 2017, 05:46 PM
I don't think it was ever marketed in that way was it? I have a couple of ice bricks which stay in the freezer at home, have a little 6 pack cooler bag which I throw them in with a few beers or bottles of water if we are doing a day trip and it keeps them cold for a few hours but I wouldn't expect them to last longer.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

GQtdauto
6th April 2017, 05:47 PM
Do you need ice to keep your stuff cold TD ?

Clunk
6th April 2017, 09:20 PM
My old man has one of these https://www.bunnings.com.au/esky-65l-blue-and-white-hard-ice-king-cooler-with-wheels_p3240360 seems to keep ice for a couple of days in the summer - he was using party ice though

Like Winnie, I've got a 33ltr and 55 ltr cheapo Willow jobbies, definitely not insulated but do the job for a day.

Also got a Waeco Cool Ice http://www.bcf.com.au/Product/Waeco-Cool-Ice-Icebox-22L/215892 and it's Dune 22ltr counterpart from Anaconda. Both are very good for keeping ice for 4-5 days in the summer and longer during the cooler months

Maxhead
6th April 2017, 09:56 PM
An idea for those with a l'cheapo esky. Drill a couple of small holes in it and the lid and spray some space filler/invader foam stuff inside any it quickly fills up any dries. Works a treat.
I did it to one of mine and can get up to 3 days with just a frozen 1.25l bottle of water

...........on the road

gubigfish
7th April 2017, 01:18 AM
I bought one of these before I got my Engel http://www.bcf.com.au/Product/IceKool-Blue-Poly-Icebox-70L/301013?menuFrom=571604 and it keeps everything cold for 4-5 days. Inbetween the 4th and 5th days all you have is a bunch of very cold water in your ice box. OK for drinks but not for food is my opinion.

threedogs
7th April 2017, 09:31 AM
Do you need ice to keep your stuff cold TD ?

I go away with two mates in the Patrol ,on front of my camper I have an 85ltr Bailys ice box
it holds 96 cans plus ice, plus we take another 40ltr blow moulded one full of beer as well.
My 40 ltr Engel keeps all the food nice and cold. If we were drinking out of Engels or Waecos
the fridge would be open say 50% of the time and flatten my battery very quickly.
We have found from going to the Murray now for over 15yrs to the same spot this system works for us

A good idea is to drain off or use the melt water daily ,,after all water is warmer than ice,
we tend to freeze ice cream containers for ice and sometimes soft drink bottles for the hotter months.

Clunk those little waeco are the ducks guts for small trips, I have a 12v waeco that works 20 degree below ambient
never leave it plugged in as it'll drain a battery very quickly

bazzaboy
7th April 2017, 09:57 AM
over rated IMO, we did tests camping on the Murray in Summer.
It did not last one full day. I wouldnt trust it, plus if you want to use it outback
you have no melt water in case of an emergency,
Might be for some like a day trip for some roadies but thats about it>

It got me angry cause I was sucked into buying a heap, with the gaurantee
it was better than ICE

I have a couple of fridges, an old 50lt Waeco and a new 38lt "Plastic Engle". Both work great although the old Waeco sucks lots more amps. I also have a 60lt Techni Ice white box. Is this the one your referring to? I've never had any problem with it. What I do is freeze some water in 3 2lt plastic milk bottles and then a couple of bags of ice. I have no problem getting three days out of it before topping it up with more ice. That works well for me as I only use it for drinks.

TPC
7th April 2017, 10:39 AM
I have several esky's that I use for different occasions.

If I just want a few drinks at a party I take this

If I need a lot of drinks and food for a party or picnic I take this

On long 4wd trips I have taken an insulated esky similar to this (not evacool, cannot remember the brand I have).
With the last Simpson trip I did we took it as a overflow for the fridge and filled it with frozen cryovaced meat and dry ice and did not open it for 5 days. When we did open it all the meat was still frozen.

threedogs
7th April 2017, 12:27 PM
I have several esky's that I use for different occasions.

If I just want a few drinks at a party I take this

If I need a lot of drinks and food for a party or picnic I take this

On long 4wd trips I have taken an insulated esky similar to this (not evacool, cannot remember the brand I have).
With the last Simpson trip I did we took it as a overflow for the fridge and filled it with frozen cryovaced meat and dry ice and did not open it for 5 days. When we did open it all the meat was still frozen.

Eva-cool took over Bailey ice boxes awesome ice boxes and not too bad as a fridge,
I even had the guys at the airport make me an insulation bag for it as well.
Out in full sun it will keep ice for 5 days. just make sure you grab everyone
a beer at the same time

gaddy
7th April 2017, 01:57 PM
Evakool eveyday of the week for me , I am lucky enough to spend a lot of time on a commercial boat fishing for snapper , we put them through hell ! Stood on jumped on belted by gaffs and the priest ( donga that issues the last rights ) bitten by the toothy brigade , 160 lt white box for ice , 1 or 2 , 200 lt blue for the fish , in this situation for product quality nothing else compares .

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

threedogs
10th April 2017, 02:02 PM
awesome cooler at a great price http://www.bcf.com.au/Product/Waeco-Cool-Ice-Icebox-22L/215892?utm_source=criteo&utm_campaign=criteo&utm_medium=retargeting

MB
6th August 2017, 01:31 PM
Not sure if this is the right thread but maybe an idea for others out there too. We have started collecting these IGA 'Black & Gold' $2 for 2L OJ's and AJ's. http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/08/56.jpg They're nice and square and would fit great as frozen water blocks in 'Esky's' or Kiwi 'Chilly Bin' four corners :-) .http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/08/57.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GQtdauto
6th August 2017, 01:57 PM
Don't know if anyone has seen them but the brand that make Gladwrap now make flexible ,disposable IceCube trays , just fill with water and throw in the freezer if you have yours going out bush .
Doesn't matter which way they go in or if you stack stuff on top just brilliant if you like your ice .

MB
6th August 2017, 02:00 PM
Just looked them up Rob, they are cool ;-)
http://glad.com.au/glad-products/food-management/glad-ice-cube-bags/index.html

MB
6th August 2017, 02:13 PM
Woolies $3.80 a pack, I'm grabbing one for a test run mate, thanks ;-)
Must look like a competitor mystery shopper standing here, photographing/typing lol :-)

TPC
6th August 2017, 02:30 PM
Woolies $3.80 a pack, I'm grabbing one for a test run mate, thanks ;-)
Must look like a competitor mystery shopper standing here, photographing/typing lol :-)

Security to aisle 4

MB
6th August 2017, 02:53 PM
Security to aisle 4
Snuck straight past them on my way back to the ute mate !

threedogs
7th August 2017, 01:52 PM
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/8pcs-Reusable-Stainless-Steel-Whiskey-Wine-Stones-Ice-Cubes-Tongs-/142168140397?epid=918655370&hash=item2119e1aa6d:g:IjAAAOSwXrhXmdsz

these might work OK

Clunk
7th August 2017, 02:00 PM
Just looked them up Rob, they are cool ;-)
http://glad.com.au/glad-products/food-management/glad-ice-cube-bags/index.htmlYep, we used to use those in our old freezer, very handy. Especially when used in an esky, if not used then just refreeze