PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with a Nissan 2000 ST 3L Fourbie

eaglewing74
28th April 2011, 08:34 AM
Hey everyone,

I'm Steve, live on the northside of Brisbane and I currently have a 2000 ST 3L Turbo Diesel Auto Wagon.

I found this site/forum whilst surfing about looking up info about Patrols.

I'm having some issues with a serious lack of power when going up hills, blowing some black smoke and fuel economy isn't the best.

Recently had a basic service done. (oil, fuel and air cleaner, new oil) This gave it a bit more oomph for a little while but became sluggish again not long after. Also if I put an injector cleaner in such as Diesel Power, same deal...bit more oomph for a bit but then sluggish again not long after.

Have been told that changing the oil to 5W30 should fix the problem but have been laughed at from other people saying that won't fix it at all.

I have been told by a mate of mine who owns a spare parts shop to give the Three Bond Diesel De Coke spray a go.

Any ideas, thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

YNOT
28th April 2011, 08:40 AM
Lack of power and blowing black smoke indicates incomplete combustion which could be caused by a number of things, faulty injectors, insufficient boost from turbo, restricted air intake just to name a few. I'm assuming the check engine light is not on during normal driving as you have not mentioned it.
You can try changing the oil (personally I'd be using 15w40) and the de coke treatment and they may give some improvement but I really can't see either of them fixing the problem.
Fitting boost and exhaust temperature gauges would assist greatly in diagnosis.

Tony

Bob
28th April 2011, 10:21 AM
welcome steve. join in and enjoy

Bigrig
28th April 2011, 10:23 AM
G'day mate - welcome aboard. Great people, information and laughs on here mate, so feel free to join in and make the most of it. Enjoy!!

nowoolies
28th April 2011, 10:25 AM
g`day Steve
welcome on board
heaps of laughs and bucket loads of info here enjoy
nowoolies
Paul

Sir Roofy
28th April 2011, 02:19 PM
Welcome aboard steve
your sure to find what
your looking for here

Clunk
28th April 2011, 03:59 PM
G'day Steve, welcome aboard mate....... hope you manage to get your problem sorted soon

DX grunt
28th April 2011, 09:19 PM
G'day Steve

Welcome to the forum.

Take care out there.

Ross
DX grunt

growler2058
28th April 2011, 09:21 PM
Gday mate welcome aboard theyre a good mob here full of useful info and advice

big_fletch
28th April 2011, 09:28 PM
Welcome to the forum mate, as a 3.0 owner I would also suggest removing and cleaning the maf sensor on the air intake as could be a possible reason as well.. Clean it with something along the lines of circuit board/contact cleaner available from autobarn or bursons (just spray it all out without touching the end of the sensor)..
After cleaning disconnect the battery for about half an hour to reset the computer.. Let us know how you go

Fletcha

Finly Owner
28th April 2011, 10:39 PM
With out knowing that particular motor, I agree with Tony and suspect injectors. Tony is our guru so I would go with all advice he has given you.

Tim