PDA

View Full Version : Not the Glow Plugs...its the ECU???

Darwin Bound
28th April 2011, 12:45 AM
Hi Peeps,
Well the sparky finished up today telling me that the problem with this Patrol (is now) the ECU, or at least a problem in the power supply if not the ECU...not the glow plugs wiring as I had thought.

Symptons are along the lines of 1) Sometimes the dash indicators for the glow plugs and engine are either not there at all or turn off very quickly. Some times it starts like a dream other times it may take up to 7-8 hits on the key to re-appear. Even when warm.
2) Sometimes it goes thru the motions of glowing the plugs as expected (according to the dash light), but yet it may have to go thru the glowing process 5-6 times before it fires up. Again, even when warm.
3) Sometimes it just completely dies while driving along. I mean even the taco goes to 0 while still rolling in gear, but head lights remain on.

They are the worst of the symptons, and I think 1 and 2 are related but 3 is a sperate issue...3 seems to have more to do with the 5A fuse (drivers side lower dash) which from memory is for battery/electrics. Once it has stopped, I pull out the fuse and replace it(I have cleaned it all out-looks ok to me, no signs of rust or decay thru the fuse box or wires etc) and drive off again.

I am basically wondering if there might be a common cause out there with those syptoms that do not require a new ECU yet, and will let me get to the NT (ex Perth). I am guessing if the auto sparky says it is the ECU then it might be stupid to attempt an across the country trip towing a decent sized trailer lol? All this stuff with this car (2000, 3.0L TD) is really starting to set me back and funds and time are both being eaten ate.

Can I get some opinions on all this please? I really dont know the electrical side of these things hahaha, any past experiences or thoughts would be appreciated :feedback:

Cheers all
Buck

Pete's GU3
28th April 2011, 05:13 PM
Sounds like a pain in the ass...maybe you should take a couple of panadol for yourself ...sorry mate cant help......

mattygu
18th September 2011, 04:48 PM
gday mate yes i am having the same problem after seeing the wiring diagram two of the six wires are around the wrong way and the numbers on the pins on the ecu relay are different the problem isnt there all the time but it does happen so it might not be the ecm itself jus a thought

big_fletch
18th September 2011, 05:55 PM
Hi mate, i have had a couple of 3.0 trolls with same symptoms.. In both cases at work the ECU relay was faulty. The relay has 2 inputs and outputs, and just 1 set dies.. For the price of a relay i would be changing this first.. Its located above the inside fuse panel and is a brown relay

mattygu
19th September 2011, 03:59 PM
big fletch did it today works like a gem

guterra
19th September 2011, 07:30 PM
big fletch did it today works like a gem

Love it when there is a straight up answer! Nice work fletcha! Haven't heard of the problem before, but I will keep it in mind for when it does happen..