PDA

View Full Version : What Alvey?

bazzaboy
28th February 2017, 01:08 PM
Guys,

Going to spend a week or so on Morton Island soon and staring to get my fishing gear together. My intention is to take a surf rod and a 6 -7' estuary rod with an eggbeater.
Never owned an Alvey surf reel but keen to try one. I have used a smaller Alvey for chasing Black fish so I know how to use them.

What Alvey surf reel would you recommend that wont break the bank. I was thinking about a geared model but they seem very expensive. May even buy second hand if there's a popular & reliable old model. What do you think?

threedogs
28th February 2017, 02:01 PM
Whats the norm a 6in Alvey thats all we used when living up that way.
Down here [vic] a 6000s egg beater would be the go

gaddy
28th February 2017, 03:04 PM
My weapon of choice for for this time of year 6oA alvey on a 10ft 6 wilson apollo , very soft action, perfect for the summer whiting and flathead between comby pt and north point , as well as both the east and western beaches ,
Actually my go to beach rod for anything but greenbacks and jewies !

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

UncleFrosty
28th February 2017, 08:31 PM
I use a 651C5 for hauling snapper and other assorteds up 20-50m cliffs. Holds 600+m of 15kg mono. Good as winches, but if you're planning on quick retrieves to excite pelagics you'll need to look elsewhere than this model.
You might need a rod with the larger "Alvey" 1st guide too as they get a bit of a spiral on when casting. I've not tried mine on a standard beach rod but have drawn blood from the whiplash!!!
Simple construction, so there's very little to go wrong with them.