PDA

View Full Version : Camping at sheepyard flat area.

jay see
27th February 2017, 06:14 PM
People we go camping with have a Territory. Where could we go around that area where they would get through, but still not have other campers in our pockets?

Thanks all.

threedogs
27th February 2017, 06:24 PM
You'll get to Sheep Yards no problems in the Territory, just take it a bit slower.
There is no Firewood for a radius of 5km imo so take it in with you.
turn left over the bridge and camp up by the Howqua river reputed to be
one of the best trout streams in VIC. lol
take a chainsaw

mudski
27th February 2017, 06:25 PM
People we go camping with have a Territory. Where could we go around that area where they would get through, but still not have other campers in our pockets?

Thanks all.

John around there you can go right upstream on the Howqua river there as far as 6 Mile flat. Or is it 8 mile? lol. Depending on when, the further you go upstream the quieter it is. Anyhow you can get a car in there easy so a Territory will ship it in. Or, when you get down to Sheepyards and cross the river, if you turn right and follow the road, it winds up a fairly steep hill, fine for 2wd cars if its not pissing down with rain, follow this road for a k or so and you will come to a T intersection, left is 4WD only and goes to Tobacco flat, as its sign posted, right will take you down to Fry's Hut. A massive flat grassy area along the Howqua and a great swimming hole on the far end corner past the hut. But it does get busy down there too, depending on when though.
My choice would be further up stream if its a long weekend. The harsh bumpy road will be the decider for most that sheepyards is far enough. I've been there and its been like a Coles supermarket carpark where there is absolutely no room. Just expect this place to be packed, as its it easily accessible for those non 4wd owners. If its not busy, your in luck. O.h and the local constabulary will more than likely be going through too. Its their favorite hunting ground along there.
And there is heaps of firewood there. You just gotta look for it. We usually go up toward Tobacco flat as its out of the way there.

jay see
27th February 2017, 06:35 PM
Thanks John and Mark.

Don't think they would wanna cross any rivers.
Wanting to go the last week of school holidays which leads into Easter. I know busy time. Maybe head up on Tuesday or Wednesday. As for fishing TD, not for me but love camping next to a river.

Edit.
Crossing the river isn't driving through it.

Upstream would be fry's hut yeah?

threedogs
27th February 2017, 06:43 PM
As you come down the hill there is a bridge that crosses the Howqua.
about three football size areas to camp in if you turn left.
Great spot to do a day trip to Craigs hut
Want to borrow my camper for the kids fully weatherproof??

Hodge
27th February 2017, 08:36 PM
Don't discount the running creek campsite. Easily get a territory there and has all the usual stuff like drop dunnies, swing away fire pits etc... 20 mins out of Mansfield.

jay see
27th February 2017, 09:40 PM
As for the coppers, I'm not taking the quad and the trol isn't cop bait so that should be OK.

TD thanks for the offer but we're happy tenting it.

Will keep running creek in mind Eric.
Thanks.

mudski
27th February 2017, 10:27 PM
Thanks John and Mark.

Don't think they would wanna cross any rivers.
Wanting to go the last week of school holidays which leads into Easter. I know busy time. Maybe head up on Tuesday or Wednesday. As for fishing TD, not for me but love camping next to a river.

Edit.
Crossing the river isn't driving through it.

Upstream would be fry's hut yeah?

Yeah crossing the river over a bridge mate....
Fry's is down stream from Sheepyards. Eight mile flat is a fair way upstream. Theirs some really nice camp spots up that way. But its a good drive past sheepyards. The last week of the holidays might start to get busy. Easter it will be chockers. Years ago we used to go in a group of around 30 people. So a couple of people would go up say on the Wednesday before easter to get our usual site and rope it all off.
Eight mile is the last camp ground along the Howqua before you head up the mountains to Bluff hut.
There a lot of camp grounds along the river so you will find something for sure.

jay see
27th February 2017, 10:50 PM
I usually go earlier too and this time I've got that whole week off, but the Mrs can only get the Thursday off, so well see what happens.
Might even take a drive up there this weekend for night.

happygu
28th February 2017, 12:33 AM
Jaysee,

You could try Butternut Creek Camping Area on the north side of the Mt Buller Rd near Merrijig .... easy for the Territory to get in there, but maybe not as popular.

I have never actually stayed in there, but have been through there a few times and it is on my list for when I have a large group as there is plenty of space, and I have never seen it like Sheepyard Flat.

Mic

jay see
28th February 2017, 12:57 AM
Jaysee,

You could try Butternut Creek Camping Area on the north side of the Mt Buller Rd near Merrijig .... easy for the Territory to get in there, but maybe not as popular.

I have never actually stayed in there, but have been through there a few times and it is on my list for when I have a large group as there is plenty of space, and I have never seen it like Sheepyard Flat.

Mic
Cheers happy

Planning on doing a drive this weekend, will have a look around at as much as we can fit in.

mudski
28th February 2017, 10:24 AM
Cheers happy

Planning on doing a drive this weekend, will have a look around at as much as we can fit in.

Take them down to Pineapple flat. They'll love the river crossing there in the Territory. Now that joint gets chockers! But some nice driving around there, follow the King River to the river Hut, Craigs hut is not far from here, and make your way around to Bindaree falls. Then loop back into Sheepyard flat.

jay see
28th February 2017, 08:17 PM
Take them down to Pineapple flat. They'll love the river crossing there in the Territory. Now that joint gets chockers! But some nice driving around there, follow the King River to the river Hut, Craigs hut is not far from here, and make your way around to Bindaree falls. Then loop back into Sheepyard flat.
Will plot a route tonight with all the mentioned spots.

Thanks all for the info guys much appreciated.

Mansfield would be the last stop for fuel yeah, both lpg and petrol?

mudski
28th February 2017, 09:02 PM
Will plot a route tonight with all the mentioned spots.

Thanks all for the info guys much appreciated.

Mansfield would be the last stop for fuel yeah, both lpg and petrol?

Yeah last stop for fuel is Mansfield. I can name a shipload of places out that way but with a Territory in tow, you are limited. Heres one for you John. A fun and quite easy drive for a single 4wd. At the T intersection I mentioned which takes you down to Fry's hut. The left turn 4wd track takes you to the slate mines. Hodge has pic of this place. Good views from there.
To get there, take the said track, you will go past Tobacco flat then the track will narrow a fair bit and go up the side of a hill. Just follow this track continuously, you will reach a long hill climb, nice and technical, but fairly simple for you. You will reach the top and see another T intersection. Turn left and follow this track, which is pretty much a dirt road with whoopdy's, and it will take you to the slate mines.
From Sheepyards to the top of the slate mines is around 1hr. My pb is 13minutes on a trail bike until I stacked and busted two fingers, smashed my wrist and had the throttle side of the handle bars in my stomach. Lol.

I must get my maps out tonight and have a look at what else is around.

Oh. About 5 or so k's past Sheepyards in Tunnel Bend. A pretty cool man made tunnel that can flood when the water is high. I believe it was used back in the day to divert water through for gold mining purposes. But now you can walk right through the tunnel. You will need torches and some spare shoes as they will get wet.

Talking about this place make me want to get out there. Once I move and settle in, I'm off.

jay see
28th February 2017, 09:14 PM
Yeah last stop for fuel is Mansfield. I can name a shipload of places out that way but with a Territory in tow, you are limited. Heres one for you John. A fun and quite easy drive for a single 4wd. At the T intersection I mentioned which takes you down to Fry's hut. The left turn 4wd track takes you to the slate mines. Hodge has pic of this place. Good views from there.
To get there, take the said track, you will go past Tobacco flat then the track will narrow a fair bit and go up the side of a hill. Just follow this track continuously, you will reach a long hill climb, nice and technical, but fairly simple for you. You will reach the top and see another T intersection. Turn left and follow this track, which is pretty much a dirt road with whoopdy's, and it will take you to the slate mines.
From Sheepyards to the top of the slate mines is around 1hr. My pb is 13minutes on a trail bike until I stacked and busted two fingers, smashed my wrist and had the throttle side of the handle bars in my stomach. Lol.

I must get my maps out tonight and have a look at what else is around.

Oh. About 5 or so k's past Sheepyards in Tunnel Bend. A pretty cool man made tunnel that can flood when the water is high. I believe it was used back in the day to divert water through for gold mining purposes. But now you can walk right through the tunnel. You will need torches and some spare shoes as they will get wet.

Talking about this place make me want to get out there. Once I move and settle in, I'm off.
Cheers Mark..

The idea for the Saturday drive is to eyeball a few camping spots and familiarise myself to the area and to make sure the territory will get in and out with no dramas.

Was planning on staying the night but youngest have a soccer match Sunday morning.

If time permits will definitely how a look at your route, itching to get offroad still need to give those reduction gears a run.

mudski
28th February 2017, 09:39 PM
Cheers Mark..

The idea for the Saturday drive is to eyeball a few camping spots and familiarise myself to the area and to make sure the territory will get in and out with no dramas.

Was planning on staying the night but youngest have a soccer match Sunday morning.

If time permits will definitely how a look at your route, itching to get offroad still need to give those reduction gears a run.

Yeah any of the camp sites along the Howqua will be 2wd accessible. So no issues there.

Onthe way into Sheepyards, on the Howqua track you will be pretty much heading uphill. When you get to the top theres a car park on the left at Mt. Timbertop. Oppostie there is a good track call Three Chain Tk. This is a fun track and get quite gnarly on the back side of this track.

Oh yeah. The track into Sheepyard is pretty long, once you hit the hair pin, thats half way. lol

Hodge
28th February 2017, 09:49 PM
The left turn 4wd track takes you to the slate mines. @Hodge (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/member.php?u=15680) has pic of this place. Good views from there.

If in the region. Definitely visit the slate mine.

My go to camp around there is the Running Creek reserve. But have spent a whole 8 hours one day driving around the whole region.
I was just following so, I have no clue what track/loops we've done. Some amazing scenery and easy tracks. But one thing I do remember though is, some tracks you're on feel like nice easy graded 2WD track, and then out of nowhere, after a turn or a crest BAM!!!! You're in and commited, no turning back and some are really really steep... And then on the other side of that, it gets super easy again.

Also do you have the Hema high country book John??
If not, more than welcome to come borrow my one. Some very nice and detailed guides and Loops to do in that whole region. Specifically the Mansfield / Jamieson/ Mt Buller loops....

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=71088&stc=1
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=71089&stc=1

jay see
1st March 2017, 12:10 AM
some are really really steep...

Cool, will finally get to test the reduction gears out.

Thanks for the offer of the book Eric but we should be alright..

jay see
4th March 2017, 05:42 PM
Thanks Eric and Mark

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/03/38.jpg
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/03/39.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/03/40.jpg

More good come when we get back home..

Hodge
4th March 2017, 07:42 PM
Fantastic mate !! Seeing those photos makes me wanna drop this work shift chuck a swag on and just go up there.
That last photo, in front of your car next to that tree is where the below pic is from. And it's where my clutch let go (kind of). Fun times!
Looking forward to the rest of the trip report and photos!

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=71146&stc=1

jay see
5th March 2017, 12:05 AM
Gone in about an hour ago. Took our time coming back. Will post more later, gotta be at soccer by 8.30am here is a couple for now.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/03/45.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/03/46.jpg

mudski
5th March 2017, 09:34 PM
Nice John. Was there many at Sheepyards? Did you check out Frys aswell. Cool hut down there by the river.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk

jay see
5th March 2017, 09:38 PM
Sorry for the delay..

Got into sheepyard about noon, and drove straight to 8 Mile. Don't really like the look of sheepyard. Can lust image over busy time, not for us.

Stopped at 8 mile for lunch, much better. Just as we sat down for lunch a bloke comes over all sweaty and a bit puffed. Can you please help me, I've dropped my motorbike in a small ditch and can't get it up, it's just off the main road on the track that leads down here. Drove up to where his bike is (no farking way I was walking). My son and I helped him get his bike up and after a few attempts it started, followed him back down and after a couple glasses of cold water and a Thank you he moved on to set himself up. Finished up lunch and moved onto 7 mile.

Found our next camping spot. Close to the river and deep enough to swim. Happy with that we continued back to Sheepyard to cross over to get to Fry's Hut.

Fry's Hut. Nice, but still a bit to open for my liking. Onto Tabacco Flat again nice, but....

Time was on our side weather was not as it stated raining, but we decided to go to the Old slate mine lookout anyway.

Had V8 Landrover about 100m in front. I noticed his tracks that he was leaving that he was on road tyres and started spinning at the tops of the whoopies. He stopped and waited for me. Turns out he had no idea where he was going. Even with three different forms of maps, I showed him where I thought we were on my rooftop paper map, he wasn't sure and the rain was started to make it a bit slippy so he/wife decided to turn back. We continued on and the weather cleared.
Slate mine was nice, kids enjoyed it. Wife didn't like them getting close to the edge tho.

Made our way to running creek camp stopped there for dinner and then made our way back home.

The patrol performed excellent, except for the fact that the factory temp gauge didn't move at all. Even when the aftermarket one pecked at 107 degrees.
I know that the factory one isn't one to rely on, but the aftermarket one was reading between mid 80 to mid-high 90's throughout the day and the factory never moved. So is there something not 100%?

Anyway thanks for the input guys if all goes well we'll being there during the holidays.

Pics to come (there on my wifes phone)

jay see
5th March 2017, 09:42 PM
Nice John. Was there many at Sheepyards? Did you check out Frys aswell. Cool hut down there by the river.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk

Four minutes ha...

There was more then we would have liked across the whole area.

jay see
5th March 2017, 09:52 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/03/53.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/03/54.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/03/55.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/03/56.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/03/57.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/03/58.jpg

Got a couple of videos too, just need to find them and work out how to get them on here.

Hodge
6th March 2017, 10:49 AM
Fantastic !
Did you drive to the to of the mine ??

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

jay see
6th March 2017, 08:39 PM
Fantastic !
Did you drive to the to of the mine ??

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
No we didn't.
Must do it next time.

Throbbinhood
8th March 2017, 10:53 AM
The patrol performed excellent, except for the fact that the factory temp gauge didn't move at all. Even when the aftermarket one pecked at 107 degrees.
I know that the factory one isn't one to rely on, but the aftermarket one was reading between mid 80 to mid-high 90's throughout the day and the factory never moved. So is there something not 100%?

Unfortunately this is generally by design. My old Hilux gauge would sit in the same spot from 80c to 125c. Once it got to 125c, it went from mid gauge to redline in a hurry.

Average Joe driving would freak out seeing his temp gauge dance around all the time, so they put these 'dead' spots in them.

threedogs
8th March 2017, 03:18 PM
My temp gauge stay just below half all the time.
I rely on the after market digital for readings
jaysee how did you find the wood situation, plenty or picked dry????

jay see
9th March 2017, 12:27 AM
Unfortunately this is generally by design. My old Hilux gauge would sit in the same spot from 80c to 125c. Once it got to 125c, it went from mid gauge to redline in a hurry.

Average Joe driving would freak out seeing his temp gauge dance around all the time, so they put these 'dead' spots in them.
I'm well aware of the dead zone in the factory gauge, I previously owned a Toyota Surf....
Just don't like seeing 100+ degrees.
Even though under pressure the boiling point is up around the 130 mark I believe.

My temp gauge stay just below half all the time.
I rely on the after market digital for readings
jaysee how did you find the wood situation, plenty or picked dry????
That's were my sat all day. Actually it's always at the position regardless of outside weather conditions and what I'm doing.

jay see
9th March 2017, 12:29 AM
Didn't really look for the wood. May take some up with us and we go and then good excuse to go for drive to find some more.

jay see
10th March 2017, 11:19 AM
https://youtu.be/5SDgsdhzJTU

Wife finds the bumpy ride funny.