PDA

View Full Version : Putting a gu rd28ti into a high roof lwb

CmonSnipeMe
26th February 2017, 11:00 PM
Hi all been a while since i was on here just wondering how i would go about putting this combination together as have just been given a motor an box for nothing and have a couple of spare patrols laying around what do i need for the conversion does the gu have computers? Im generally a petrol mechanic so the diesel side is foreign to me

gubigfish
27th February 2017, 10:17 AM
Don't think the high roofs ever had this engine from factory so you might run into some issues. Think it was just the TD 4.2 and TB 4.2.

CmonSnipeMe
27th February 2017, 10:58 AM
Yeah is registered as lwb wagon so according to vicroads its the same vehicle as a standard roof gq

Sent from my SM-T815Y using Tapatalk

threedogs
27th February 2017, 11:00 AM
Give Killa kustom Kables a buzz and see if they do a plug and play loom your this combo???

CmonSnipeMe
27th February 2017, 11:16 AM
Ok google them or they on facebook ?

threedogs
27th February 2017, 11:19 AM
Just did a quick search and they are on both
Killa Kustum Kables is the correct spelling lol

mudski
27th February 2017, 11:48 AM
Yeah is registered as lwb wagon so according to vicroads its the same vehicle as a standard roof gq

Registered as a LWB wagon or not wont matter. Vic Roads dont know a lot and half the time their info is incorrect. The high roofs aren't the same as a standard roof. I think fish is correct about the motors. Having said that, the GQ did come out with the RD28t, but not Ti. Not sure if there is much of a difference to the elecs though apart from using a MAF and maybe the injector pump is electronic. And an EGR...
Killa would be my first port of call....

mudnut
27th February 2017, 12:33 PM
How good is the engine? The RD28 is prone to overheating issues, sometimes head problems and occasionally cracked cam gears and stripped harmonic balancer keys.

CmonSnipeMe
27th February 2017, 05:06 PM
Low k's clean runs nice clean inside sump and rocker cover been looked after not flogged out

CmonSnipeMe
2nd March 2017, 01:17 PM
Is it possible to change the 2.8t injector pump from electronic back to mechanical ??

gubigfish
2nd March 2017, 01:28 PM
This is just my opinion but it seems like a waste of time you'd be better off to put a TD4.2 in there. Most people take the 2.8 out and replace it with a TD4.2.

CmonSnipeMe
2nd March 2017, 01:54 PM
This is just my opinion but it seems like a waste of time you'd be better off to put a TD4.2 in there. Most people take the 2.8 out and replace it with a TD4.2.
If i had a td42t id be putting it in but whilst this one was free and i have a few spare bodys laying around i thought id try plus if set up right it might make a good long distance tourer in a light body small capacity engine with the right gearing and tire size. Just doing what i can with what i got really

mudnut
2nd March 2017, 02:08 PM
Fair enough, but it is a big process to engage in. I have seen an RD28 in action. On the whole it will do what you want, but at its own pace and towing capacity is limited. It is basically an RB30 block, set up as a diesel. They run a lighter gearbox than the TB and TD. If You had a body that was set up for an RB or RD then it would be a cost saving excercise.
Maybe you can trade a body for one that is RD or RB already, or the engine and gearbox for a good TD engine and gearbox?

CmonSnipeMe
2nd March 2017, 02:12 PM
Fair enough, but it is a big process to engage in. I have seen an RD28 in action. On the whole it will do what you want, but at its own pace and towing capacity is limited. It is basically an RB30 block, set up as a diesel. They run a lighter gearbox than the TB and TD. If You had a body that was set up for an RB or RD then it would be a cost saving excercise.
Maybe you can trade a body or the engine and gearbox for a good TD and gearbox?
Yeap got gearbox 2 and transfer want to put it in a swb for my daughter dont think they made an rb or rd swb so its gonna be a big process ! This motors the turbo one so i wanna push it to the limits of reliably running with biggrr turbo