PDA

View Full Version : GU wagon rear swaybar links (after a 2-3 inch lift)

04OFF
27th April 2011, 04:19 PM
I broke a rear sway bar link pin on my GU wagon not long after fitting a 2'' lift, i noticed how the sway bar arms pointed up after the lift, and seemed to place link pins under tension before any real sort of flexing.

I fitted link pins from the front of Holden commodores to fix the issue and level the arms, VX front one i used for the patrol drivers side rear, and a VE front (must be passenger side) for the patrol passenger side rear. (they are both different pins on the rear)

Here is a pic of the longer VE one next to the standard patrol one......

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/25012011284.jpg

Have done lots of wheeling without breaking these.

I know you can buy aftermarket extended links, i just thought this might be a cheap fix for someone if you can just pull them off commoNdores at the auto wreckers ?

keyword search; ve.swaylink

growler2058
27th April 2011, 04:28 PM
Excellant find mate

YNOT
27th April 2011, 05:57 PM
Great find, you couldn't find a much closer match than that.
When I fitted my lift I cut the standard link pins and welded in a piece of round bar the same length as the lift, did all 4 pins for about $10.

Tony

MudRunnerTD
27th April 2011, 07:09 PM
That is a very very good find mate.. You did not tell us how much they were though?.. After market guys want $100+ each for them??

04OFF
27th April 2011, 07:38 PM
Can't remember exact price as it was many beers ago, the fact that i bought one means it can't have been "that" much (he-he)

Quick search on egay.....

VE $50 a pair

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/2-FRONT-Sway-Bar-Links-HOLDEN-VE-COMMODORE-06-09-/190449574489?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c57ade259

VX $33 a pair

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Front-Sway-Bar-Link-Pin-Kit-Holden-Commodore-VU-VX-VY-/130508776633?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e62ede4b9

The idea i was trying to get across, was to grab them from wreckers so you can just buy 1 of each, hopefully very cheap as there is normally a abundance of wrecked commodores around.

BTW, The VX ones also fit the front sway bar on the GU, although are a little too long to make the swaybar level, (will actually make arms point down) they would be more suited to 3'' lift id think.

Gert B Frobe
18th June 2011, 12:11 AM
Great find mate. Good to see the dunnydores are being recycled for something worthwhile. Dont want to rain on anyones party but i swear i saw some ARB brand new extended ones for $25, cant remember if it was fleabay or gumtree though but great find none the less!!!!

Bigrig
18th June 2011, 12:45 AM
Oh steve ... do you recall a fat bearded bloke offering you a set of extended pins when you were at landcruiser, specifically because yours were pulling up?? lmao

Still have them if anyone wants them ... pay the freight and they're yours!!

big_fletch
18th June 2011, 09:28 AM
Thanks for the post mate, I'm quite sure that will come in handy for someone and its a lot cheaper than other options

04OFF
18th June 2011, 11:30 AM
Oh steve ... do you recall a fat bearded bloke offering you a set of extended pins when you were at landcruiser, specifically because yours were pulling up?? lmao

Still have them if anyone wants them ... pay the freight and they're yours!!

I don't remember seeing SANTA at all mate :tease:

Are they front or rears, or the rose joint rattle type, don't know why i would have turned my nose up to em Scotty ?

Bigrig
18th June 2011, 12:11 PM
I don't remember seeing SANTA at all mate :tease:

Are they front or rears, or the rose joint rattle type, don't know why i would have turned my nose up to em Scotty ?

They're for the front, but not sure they wouldn't go in the rear also - have to check ... if you want them, they're all yours champion ...

And me and Santa? No comparison .... fat blokes are supposed to be jolly, unlike me!!!! lmao

nowoolies
18th June 2011, 12:43 PM
nice find cheap as chips to do it that way

04OFF
18th June 2011, 01:26 PM
They're for the front, but not sure they wouldn't go in the rear also - have to check ... if you want them, they're all yours champion ...

And me and Santa? No comparison .... fat blokes are supposed to be jolly, unlike me!!!! lmao

Ahh cool thanks, i still have standard ones in the front, i just added extra rubbers to level them out a bit more.

Might have to grab em off ya then mate , if you think they will help me keep up :biggrin:

Mmmm, a lokka would be good if you have a spare one (ha-ha) :fish: