PDA

View Full Version : new steering damper

snake1978
27th April 2011, 02:20 PM
hey
im thinking of replacing the steering damper, the one on its probably original and they arent a very expensive part.
any experience guys? should i get a basic one in a good brand or go for an adjustable one
cheers

growler2058
27th April 2011, 02:28 PM
hey
im thinking of replacing the steering damper, the one on its probably original and they arent a very expensive part.
any experience guys? should i get a basic one in a good brand or go for an adjustable one
cheers

Personal opinion would be basic in a good brand mine is dobinson much gruntier than the little bicycle pump lookin thing that was on it and came in a complete suspension upgrade kit i bought

YNOT
27th April 2011, 02:35 PM
I agree with Growler, get 35mm bore damper in a good brand.

Tony

ZORDO
27th April 2011, 09:55 PM
Ironman 35mm big bore damper is the best value for money only $100
Cheers

snake1978
28th April 2011, 01:16 AM
cool thanks

snake1978
28th April 2011, 01:19 AM
if im considering a 2inch lift in the future, will the damper have to change then? or just get one now

nowoolies
28th April 2011, 04:03 AM
when i had my 2" lift done it was all part of the kit
i have a Old Man Emu out fit on my bus

growler2058
28th April 2011, 06:44 AM
if im considering a 2inch lift in the future, will the damper have to change then? or just get one now

you wont need to replace it but have a look at what sort of lift you want and some "kits" come complete with a steering dampner as woolies said

snake1978
29th April 2011, 05:40 AM
from what ive seen the kids in price range are under 1000.00
basically 4 springs and 4 shocks, ironman i think

growler2058
29th April 2011, 06:44 AM
No worries if you change the dampner before you fit your lift you wont need to change it......unless youve damaged it somehow

chester
29th April 2011, 05:35 PM
I changed mine a month ago just put on a heavy duty Tough dog cost me $120.Don,t go a RTC one a few mate's have had them and reckon never again.

Bigrig
29th April 2011, 07:31 PM
Ironman 35mm big bore damper is the best value for money only $100
Cheers

X2 - fitted one and all good - top price too!!

snake1978
3rd May 2011, 08:18 PM
thanks
why is the return to centre no good?

YNOT
3rd May 2011, 08:21 PM
thanks
why is the return to centre no good?

It makes the steering heavier.

Tony

snake1978
3rd May 2011, 08:23 PM
thanks
i dont have alot of money, have found an iron man suspension kit on ebay for 749.00
4 springs and 4 shocks with 2in lift
i plan to get that done and a new damper

snake1978
3rd May 2011, 08:24 PM
mechanic said get adjustable damper if i can offord it, otherwise just a standard toughdog or ironman would be ok

YNOT
That sounds like a good deal.

Tony

Bigrig
thanks
i dont have alot of money, have found an iron man suspension kit on ebay for 749.00
4 springs and 4 shocks with 2in lift
i plan to get that done and a new damper

Good stuff mate - nothing wrong with the ironman gear!!

YNOT
3rd May 2011, 08:26 PM
mechanic said get adjustable damper if i can offord it, otherwise just a standard toughdog or ironman would be ok

I have tough dog adjustable shocks but I never adjust them, I think if I had an adjustable steering damper it would be the same, set it and forget it, so I may as well just get a fixed one.

Tony

snake1978
3rd May 2011, 08:26 PM
cool, guy said only about 3hrs labour maybe 3.5 so thats ok too

growler2058
3rd May 2011, 08:29 PM
Excuse my ignorence but what is the advantage of and adjustable steering dampner????????????

snake1978
3rd May 2011, 08:29 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/PATROL-GQ-LWB-2-IRONMAN-SUSPENSION-LIFT-KIT-4X4-BG-/300547770414?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item45fa0b082e

this is what ive come up with, most the time it will be just family car , no heavy towing. I was thinking the performance or constant load, but dont want it too stiff
family of 7 plus groceries or camping gear so i think the B or C stiffness will be ok

Bigrig
3rd May 2011, 08:30 PM
Excuse my ignorence but what is the advantage of and adjustable steering dampner????????????

X2 - not a clue .... could think of /make up some reasons, but they seem pointless to me ...

snake1978
3rd May 2011, 08:31 PM
i guess the advantage would be if u live in the city youd have it set different but probably for the xtra 150 bux not worth it, id imaging if u changed seeting too much it would effect wheel alignment

Bigrig
3rd May 2011, 08:36 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/PATROL-GQ-LWB-2-IRONMAN-SUSPENSION-LIFT-KIT-4X4-BG-/300547770414?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item45fa0b082e

this is what ive come up with, most the time it will be just family car , no heavy towing. I was thinking the performance or constant load, but dont want it too stiff
family of 7 plus groceries or camping gear so i think the B or C stiffness will be ok

3 hours is a long time for a workshop to be only swapping the springs and shocks? Even so, beats doing it yourself if you don't have access to a spring compressor.

2" won't cause you any issues with regards to how soft it is as you keep the same link pins on the swaybars and as such, they are pulled up slightly tighter, not allowing as much "sway" as such - as one side pulls up, the other side will counter the force and do the same, essentially still keeping you flat and avoiding body roll - I'd go softer to keep it comfortable, and so you can drop the swaybars away when off road if you wanted and get some decent flex!!

growler2058
3rd May 2011, 08:39 PM
i guess the advantage would be if u live in the city youd have it set different but probably for the xtra 150 bux not worth it, id imaging if u changed seeting too much it would effect wheel alignment

Ive replaced all my suspension with a BigO4x4 4" lift and have a big bore dampner non adjustable.....spose what im saying dont get talked into spending the extra coin for something that you dont need, I was under the impression only comp trucks needed em but dont know what use the adjustment is for

snake1978
3rd May 2011, 08:41 PM
what its for is 80% tar driving, and every other weekend taking kids up the beach
we dont own a camper or caravan so it will rarely ever tow, so yea i think the performance type will be ok, the kids are all under 10 so wont be holding much weight

snake1978
3rd May 2011, 08:45 PM
yea that helps, im not doing heavy off road so i just need something thats gonna work good but not go stupid money wise
considering the ones on it are the original, the 750 ironman kit would do what i need

growler2058
3rd May 2011, 08:45 PM
what its for is 80% tar driving, and every other weekend taking kids up the beach
we dont own a camper or caravan so it will rarely ever tow, so yea i think the performance type will be ok, the kids are all under 10 so wont be holding much weight

Mate for your application i would stick with the kit you mentioned above the money you save on adj dampner would be better spent on a compressor to reinflate your tyres after a fun time drivin the sand, or recovery items
:smiley_thumbs_up:

snake1978
3rd May 2011, 08:50 PM
thanks for that, i feel better asking real people who own the same cars than random people i know
its ok for the mechanic to suggest something, but its u guys that have been there and done that so all your helps appreciated
btw off topic, my last 4x4 was a surf , im still getting use to the idea of adding to the car to improve it, not adding to the car to prevent it from blowing up lol

growler2058
3rd May 2011, 08:54 PM
thanks for that, i feel better asking real people who own the same cars than random people i know
its ok for the mechanic to suggest something, but its u guys that have been there and done that so all your helps appreciated
btw off topic, my last 4x4 was a surf , im still getting use to the idea of adding to the car to improve it, not adding to the car to prevent it from blowing up lol

I had a breakable hilux before i saw the light mate its ok your secrets safe with me hahahahahahahahaha youve seen the light and in a troll now

snake1978
3rd May 2011, 08:58 PM
i guess another Q is does one brand have it over the other
ironman , dobinson and tough dog are all under 1000 for the 2in shocks and springs
is it a case of mixed opinions , or does one brand stand out more

YNOT
3rd May 2011, 09:00 PM

And for saying something nice I'll open your thanks account. Welcome to the dark side.

Tony

snake1978
3rd May 2011, 09:01 PM
And for saying something nice I'll open your thanks account. Welcome to the dark side.

Tony

sweet thanks

YNOT
3rd May 2011, 09:02 PM
ironman , dobinson and tough dog are all under 1000 for the 2in shocks and springs

I'd rate them all about the same. Dobinsons and Kings springs are made in QLD and I try to support local companies.

Tony

growler2058
3rd May 2011, 09:04 PM

Mate i'm biased as here my kit is all dobinson coils, springs and dampner and as happy with it as a pig in poop

snake1978
3rd May 2011, 09:26 PM
yea ive heard good reports on dobinsons
aussie made, aussie steel
dunno where ironman are made?

Bigrig
3rd May 2011, 09:36 PM

My springs are dobinson - same reason as Tony stated.

snake1978
3rd May 2011, 09:43 PM
what about shocks bigrig? are dobinsons shocks ok too or just springs better steel

YNOT
3rd May 2011, 09:45 PM
My springs are dobinson - same reason as Tony stated.

I thought you were having an early night???

Tony

YNOT
3rd May 2011, 09:55 PM
what about shocks bigrig? are dobinsons shocks ok too or just springs better steel

I've had a bad experience with Dobinson shocks though it was about 8 years ago.
I bought a matched set of Dobinson springs and shocks for my first GQ. First trip out (Fraser Island) I came back with 3 completely dead shocks. I took them back to where I got them and they happily replaced all 4 shocks without argument. Next trip out (local bush) 2 of the new shocks died completely. I took them back again much to the sellers shock, he admitted defeat and offered me a set of Old Man Emu shocks for just the upgrade cost (about $20 per shock) and I never had another issue.

As I said that was about 8 years ago, if they were still having issues with their shocks word would have got around they wouldn't be selling any.

Tony

Bigrig
3rd May 2011, 09:57 PM

I went EFS - hadn't heard anything bad as such about Dobinson, but after research just found better overall opinions on the EFS .... That said, as per Tonys comment, I now know of someone who has had an issue with them!!

Bigrig
3rd May 2011, 09:58 PM
I thought you were having an early night???

Tony

Yep - but everyone has gone to bed and I'm watching ghost hunters international all by my lonesome and got scared!!! LOL

snake1978
4th May 2011, 02:12 PM
yea i guess youll hear good and bad , but i suppose for a suspension set up under 800.00 its not like its top of the line
ill probably end up going with the iron man set up for 725.00 plus about another 120 for a damper.
spoke to mechanic today and he said worn shocks give the tyres a "christmas tree" shape effect, but to drop it in and he will check the castors, and any other bushes too.
it may not be much, its not a real bad wobble, more like the feeling the balance is slightly out

Bigrig
4th May 2011, 02:23 PM
yea i guess youll hear good and bad , but i suppose for a suspension set up under 800.00 its not like its top of the line
ill probably end up going with the iron man set up for 725.00 plus about another 120 for a damper.
spoke to mechanic today and he said worn shocks give the tyres a "christmas tree" shape effect, but to drop it in and he will check the castors, and any other bushes too.
it may not be much, its not a real bad wobble, more like the feeling the balance is slightly out

Too easy mate - good luck and some happy snaps of before and after would be grand!! We do love our photos!!!

Bulbous
13th May 2011, 05:32 AM

I may be wrong, but I thought the point of this was to allow you to re-centre the steering wheel after lifting. Or if you bent the drag link, like I did then you can adjust it out.

Crowman23
20th May 2011, 09:52 AM
Heres a couple for you to look at
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NISSAN-PATROL-MQ-MK-GQ-GU-TOUGH-DOG-STEERING-DAMPER-/230622022763?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35b224cc6b
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nissan-GQ-Y60-Patrol-Return-Centre-Steering-Damper-/270743261382?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f098e50c6
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NISSAN-PATROL-MQ-MK-GQ-GU-RTC-STEERING-DAMPER-/310317871037?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item484062efbd

Hope it helps

snicko
27th May 2011, 06:39 PM
I bought a OME steering damper yesterday and want to fit it on the weekend. Are there any tricks?? (GU 2006)

YNOT
27th May 2011, 07:04 PM
I bought a OME steering damper yesterday and want to fit it on the weekend. Are there any tricks?? (GU 2006)

2006 GU wagon has a pin to pin damper, getting the tapered pins out might give you a few issues but nothing you can't fix with a hammer and chisel !

Tony

snicko
27th May 2011, 07:19 PM
2006 GU wagon has a pin to pin damper, getting the tapered pins out might give you a few issues but nothing you can't fix with a hammer and chisel !

Tony

Thats an answer I would expect Big Rig would say, as all he has is a tool box full of hammers!!! hahahaha
If I need a chisel will I have to replace the pins??

growler2058
27th May 2011, 07:24 PM
Whatever happens dont get an OME dampner for a GU!!!!! hahahahahahaha only jokin i got NFI.

GUtsy ute
27th May 2011, 07:42 PM
Hi Snicko,
The new damper will have new pins on it.
Also new rubbers, nuts and washers.

Cheers

snicko
27th May 2011, 07:58 PM
Whatever happens dont get an OME dampner for a GU!!!!! hahahahahahaha only jokin i got NFI.

OK smarty...I'll give you my address and you can come and fit it!!! hahahah

snicko
27th May 2011, 08:00 PM
Hi Snicko,
The new damper will have new pins on it. Also new rubbers, nuts and washers.

Cheers

I haven't opened the box yet....maybe I should have and then I wouldn't have ask the stupid question eh?...........hahahahha

Thanks GUtsy

GUtsy ute
27th May 2011, 08:04 PM
No worries,
Have fun!!!

growler2058
27th May 2011, 08:08 PM
OK smarty...I'll give you my address and you can come and fit it!!! hahahah

I dunno bout the GU but its easy on a GQ youll be right have you got a manual?

snicko
27th May 2011, 08:16 PM
I dunno bout the GU but its easy on a GQ youll be right have you got a manual?

Of cause........its a tough manly rig........hahahahaha

growler2058
27th May 2011, 08:20 PM
Havent they got a gu one here that you can download?? I got by with a cheapy gregorys one from auto pro, theyre not as good as the workshop manual

growler2058
27th May 2011, 08:21 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?4202-Nissan-Patrol-GU-Y61-service-manual-INC-Supplement-I-II-III-IV-V-VI-VII-amp-VIII&highlight=manual here have a look here

snicko
27th May 2011, 08:22 PM
Havent they got a gu one here that you can download?? I got by with a cheapy gregorys one from auto pro, theyre not as good as the workshop manual

I've looked but not sure which one is the right one. I think I have the 25 posts up!!

growler2058
27th May 2011, 08:24 PM
I've looked but not sure which one is the right one. I think I have the 25 posts up!!:smileyvault-cute-bi TOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY HELP please which manual does snicko need

snicko
27th May 2011, 08:35 PM
Down loading now.

growler2058
27th May 2011, 08:38 PM
beauty yer halfway there if ya were a b it closer would give you a hand

snicko
27th May 2011, 08:50 PM
beauty yer halfway there if ya were a b it closer would give you a hand

Thanks for that, yeah its a 1200km round trip!!

YNOT
27th May 2011, 10:03 PM
:smileyvault-cute-bi TOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY HELP please which manual does snicko need

What on earth does he (edit-oops, she) need a manual for, the damper is held on by 2 nuts, how hard could it be!!!???
As said in earlier posts the new damper should come with new pins, nuts etc.

Tony

snicko
27th May 2011, 10:23 PM
What on earth does he need a manual for, the damper is held on by 2 nuts, how hard could it be!!!???

Tony

Hahahahaha

This may be a silly question:
The instructions say (which I should have got earlier!) "the locking nuts are tightened and secured" well how tight is tight???

YNOT
27th May 2011, 10:54 PM
Hahahahaha

This may be a silly question:
The instructions say (which I should have got earlier!) "the locking nuts are tightened and secured" well how tight is tight???

Not too tight, you'll get them off easily with a spanner.

Tony

growler2058
28th May 2011, 05:58 AM
What on earth does he (edit-oops, she) need a manual for, the damper is held on by 2 nuts, how hard could it be!!!???

Tony

Hahaha coz a piccies worth a thousand words

snicko
28th May 2011, 04:34 PM
Fitted the damper. Is is suppose to have this gap?

GUtsy ute
28th May 2011, 05:19 PM
Hi Snicko,
Did the old one come off easily?
I can't advise you on the gap, as my ute damper has the front shocky style mounts.
One of the members with a wagon will no doubt let you know if it's all good.
Cheers

snicko
28th May 2011, 05:37 PM
Hi Snicko,
Did the old one come off easily?
I can't advise you on the gap, as my ute damper has the front shocky style mounts.
One of the members with a wagon will no doubt let you know if it's all good.
Cheers
Thanks GUtsy
The old nuts were hard to crack (I could'nt do it) and the drivers side took many hits with the hammer to come off.
So I don't know it thats normal or not!

Snicko

snicko
28th May 2011, 06:33 PM
Just taken the truck for a test drive and it seams to pull to the left a little. Do I need to get an alignment or will it settle in and be OK??

NissanGQ4.2
28th May 2011, 06:52 PM
Fitted the damper. Is is suppose to have this gap?

Sorry snicko not sure on the GU setup, but it doesn't look correct 2 me.

snicko
28th May 2011, 06:55 PM
Sorry snicko not sure on the GU setup, but it doesn't look correct 2 me.

Shall I put up a new post?

NissanGQ4.2
28th May 2011, 07:13 PM
Shall I put up a new post?

yeh why not start a new thread, I would :)

Robo
31st December 2011, 12:33 AM
Hi guys.
Some advise please.
35mm ironman dampe mentioned, are these to heavy to rtc without my help.
I,m after some advise.
Adjustable ver RTC, ver HD, ver STD. opnions please

Agil1
11th June 2013, 11:56 PM
What's the best

BigRAWesty
12th June 2013, 12:46 AM
Hi guys.
Some advise please.
35mm ironman dampe mentioned, are these to heavy to rtc without my help.
I,m after some advise.
Adjustable ver RTC, ver HD, ver STD. opnions please

All in all mate, its a steering dampener. Probably don't need heavy duty unless your in a race truck, but as mentioned above the RTC's sometimes cause more headaches than there worth.
Go an adjustable and then you can set to your liking..
If everything suspension wise is correct the cars steering geometry with self center anyway..

What's the best

Again its just a dampener, so not critical.
But stick to brand name stuff. Tough dog, iron man, old man emu etc.

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

Pezzer
25th June 2013, 09:15 AM
My damper and shocks are all MAddog they seem to work really well.

Sanouske
26th June 2013, 05:24 PM
cal offroad quoted me around $200 for a bilstein damper to which i though was good value. using a $80 generic one atm and it works, but could be better..