PDA

View Full Version : Camping Mat / Bed suggestions

Hodge
9th February 2017, 09:29 PM
Just after some feedback on mats or air beds for camping purposes. I have a Oztent RV4, so have 2.4mx2.4m of ground/floor space. Was thinking a queen size mat of some sort... Looked at a few options below. My 4 year old will be starting to go away with me so instead of getting him his own swag, for now figured id just use the OZtent since we got it. Thus far ive been sleeping on the stretcher in the OZtent. But instead of getting another stretcher for him(more things to carry), I figured just a ground mat might suffice.... As well as comfort, Im guessing a lot of these would be very cumbersome to roll up / pack up.

Any thoughts or recommendations most welcome!
A lot of choice out there...

Some examples...
Simple foam camping matress from Clarke Rubber. 100-150mm.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=70889&stc=1
Another example is self inflating Oztrail mat...
https://www.snowys.com.au/queen-4wd-mat

Winnie
9th February 2017, 09:56 PM
I wouldn't go a queen size. I have a double sized self inflating and it is manageable to roll up by myself. But any bigger would be a big struggle.

stevemc181
9th February 2017, 10:14 PM
The Exped Megamat 10LXW is the best sleeping mat you will ever own. It rolls up to near on half the size of the others and is more comfortable than my expensive bed at home. The pic below is from a few different mats rolled up for a size comparison. They aren't cheap, but quality rarely is. Wait for a snowy's special and you can usually save some good dollars. The old model is here https://www.snowys.com.au/megamat-10-lxw but looks like it has been superseded now with this one https://www.snowys.com.au/megamat-10-lxw-camping-mat

The Megamat is the red one below, compared to a Dune King Single and an Oztrail. The Megamat has flat/straight sides so putting two together to make a double is easy.

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh486/stevemc181/Camping%20Stuff/2a465da7f48c2de341423488d65ec064_zpsh9ujv6nw.jpg

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh486/stevemc181/Camping%20Stuff/0037f2e015670460e28ddcd36213093a_zpszkpk2er5.jpg

Clunk
10th February 2017, 12:11 AM
We use 2 Dune 4wd mats, yes bulky, pretty damn comfy though. Those Megamats look pretty impressive though, pack up size wise though

Hodge
10th February 2017, 08:55 AM
Thanks gents. Winnie . Reason I'd want a larger one is to somewhat future proof our selves. In case the handbrake wants to come away as well. Sleeps 3.

Steve that mega mat gets some raving reviews. Thanks for pointing that one out.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

mudski
10th February 2017, 09:07 AM
I have one of those Clarke Rubber foam jobbies. Don't use it for camping but if you have a swag bag you could easily roll it up in one of those. But they are a bit bulky.

Touses
10th February 2017, 09:30 AM
Black Wolf. Had 'em for 3 years now,replaced foam matress in camper trailer. Effin expensive, effin good but don't roll down like the megamat in the piccie. That is impressive!

Touses
10th February 2017, 09:32 AM
Black Wolf self inflating. Had 'em for 3 years now,replaced foam matress in camper trailer. Effin expensive, effin good but don't roll down like the megamat in the piccie. That is impressive!

Dumb prick! Meant to edit n posted twice, dumb prick!

threedogs
10th February 2017, 10:26 AM
air beds suck up the cold air giving a very uncomfortable sleep.
I use a self inflating mattress [100mm] rolls up to about 300mm
very nice to sleep on if I may say so.
You only need a 3/4 length
Foam is very hard to roll to a decent size for travel very bulky

stevemc181
10th February 2017, 10:51 AM
Thanks gents. Winnie . Reason I'd want a larger one is to somewhat future proof our selves. In case the handbrake wants to come away as well. Sleeps 3.

Steve that mega mat gets some raving reviews. Thanks for pointing that one out.

The missus and I use two of the Megamats next to each other. The vertical sides on them are ideal for this and they are so much easier to deal with than a double. Everyone I know who has a double self inflater, regrets it. Just too large and difficult to deal with in the morning if you are doing one nighters. If your camping style is more base camp type stuff, then the double will be ok. We are generally on the move each day and need fast compact mats, or the routine gets old very quickly.

I have a few back problems and the bloody expensive mattress on my bed at home doesn't help. I've come close to pulling out the megamat and sleeping on the floor, that's how awesome I think they are!

threedogs
10th February 2017, 01:14 PM
If you want to try a foam mattress I have a brand new fitted one here you can try,
Its about 1400mm wide from memory

Hodge
10th February 2017, 01:43 PM
Just found out one of my workmates opted for that mega mat in his Trackabout camper trailer from the moment it got delivered.. he's gonna set it up on the weekend I'll go and have a feel.

stevemc181
10th February 2017, 02:55 PM
Just found out one of my workmates opted for that mega mat in his Trackabout camper trailer from the moment it got delivered.. he's gonna set it up on the weekend I'll go and have a feel.

There are two versions, the 7.5 and the 10, make sure it's the 10, just that little bit thicker. (I am sure there is a missus joke in there somewhere ?) They will take a while for the first inflation if they have been rolled up for a long time, and you will need to use the schnozzle pump that comes with them. I actually removed the little one way flap valves in mine so it would deflate faster when I roll it up. This makes it a bit harder to easily reduce the pressure by a small amount while you are lying on it though. (This will all make sense when you actually use one and can see the little flap valves etc)

Clunk
10th February 2017, 06:24 PM
Black Wolf self inflating. Had 'em for 3 years now,replaced foam matress in camper trailer. Effin expensive, effin good but don't roll down like the megamat in the piccie. That is impressive!

Dumb prick! Meant to edit n posted twice, dumb prick!
Yes, yes you are [emoji8]

Clunk
10th February 2017, 06:27 PM
You only need a 3/4 length

All very well and good if you're a midget.

Personally, I don't like my legs hanging off then end..... they like to be comfortable too

Touses
13th February 2017, 08:49 AM
Yes, yes you are [emoji8]

Don't want you to feel as though you're all alone in the world! :tease:

DX grunt
13th February 2017, 08:58 AM
I've got several mattress sizes that I put in the back of my ute - a king single for solo trips and a double when with the wife.

Both are high density foam mattresses from Clark Rubber, and I swear by them. I also use that 'bubble foam' underlay.

The HD foam is very firm, and I love it. The underlay makes it a lot warmer in winter, too, because I'm basically sleeping on aluminium above the ground.

Sometimes I sleep with sheets and a blanket. Other times, I'll just roll the swag out on top.

Rossco

Covo71
13th February 2017, 01:59 PM
I have got the megamat 10 queen and single. Better than the mattress at home. Expensive but worth every cent. We looked for ages for comfort and pack up size. These are the best. When packing up try not to rush it and it takes a few minutes, no big deal.

Cuppa
13th February 2017, 02:08 PM
I used a thin thermarest mattress for years on motorcycles & it did a good job, as well as packing up nice & small. In more recent times we bought a couple of King Single Diamantina 4wd mattresses. Thermarest are bonded, most '4wd mattresses, including the Diamantina are non-bonded. We bought the Diamantina's online without having seen them in the flesh & hadn't appreciated what the difference was between bonded & non-bonded. If choosing again I would go for a bonded one (albeit thicker that the one I used on the bikes).
For those who are unaware of the difference, as we were, 'bonded' means the internal foam is glued to the outer fabric, whereas non bonded means the foam is loose inside. Both 'self inflate' but the bonded style allows the user to 'adjust' the softness/firmness by adding a few extra breaths once the mattress has expanded by itself. With the non-bonded whatever it expands to is what you've got. I'm guessing that the megamat that stevemc181 linked to earlier would be a bonded type - they roll up smaller.

Winnie
13th February 2017, 02:38 PM
You tend to get "bubbles" (for lack of a better word) in the non bonded type too. So the foam compresses under the heavier parts of your body and the air just moves elsewhere.

Bush Ranger
6th April 2017, 08:14 PM
BCF in Bundy have concertinaed mattresses for $99 and from memory they`re double mattress size. No idea on the foam thickness though, but looks to ba around 40mm thick and they do feel a bit soft. I don`t know if other BCF stores have the same deal.

Clunk
6th April 2017, 09:04 PM
BCF in Bundy have concertinaed mattresses for $99 and from memory they`re double mattress size. No idea on the foam thickness though, but looks to ba around 40mm thick and they do feel a bit soft. I don`t know if other BCF stores have the same deal.

yeah I've got a similar Oztrail one, not brilliant on their own but I'm a heavy bastard and its only 50mm thick (or so).......... but I like to put it under my 100mm self inflating jobbie for extra comfort during longer stays

DX grunt
7th April 2017, 04:02 AM
Gotta say, "I love my Clark Rubber, high density foam mattress". In transit, it sits on top of all my plastic boxes, in the pod of my ute.

http://i1312.photobucket.com/albums/t525/dxgrunt431/Boyup%20Brook%20-%204_zpspwgywqtd.jpg (http://s1312.photobucket.com/user/dxgrunt431/media/Boyup%20Brook%20-%204_zpspwgywqtd.jpg.html)

Rossco

Touses
7th April 2017, 08:11 AM
Gotta say, "I love my Clark Rubber, high density foam mattress". In transit, it sits on top of all my plastic boxes, in the pod of my ute.

http://i1312.photobucket.com/albums/t525/dxgrunt431/Boyup%20Brook%20-%204_zpspwgywqtd.jpg (http://s1312.photobucket.com/user/dxgrunt431/media/Boyup%20Brook%20-%204_zpspwgywqtd.jpg.html)

Rossco

Joisus Grunter, is that a camping pod or a bodouir in a knock shop??? You got a pea under that mattress princess????

threedogs
7th April 2017, 09:24 AM
Hodge any update on what you have decided on.??

DX grunt
7th April 2017, 10:40 AM
Joisus Grunter, is that a camping pod or a bodouir in a knock shop??? You got a pea under that mattress princess????

Because I'm happily married, it's a camping pod.

I like to call this my mid-life crisis 'Sandman panel van' - of which I used to own one as a young fella. PML.

Bacho86
7th April 2017, 04:35 PM
I just got my 4 "Light Speed" mats refunded from Costco this morning after 2 years because they had developed small leaks.... and then got 4 new ones as replacements!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hodge
13th April 2017, 02:34 PM
Hodge any update on what you have decided on.??
I've had a go at the Megamat suggested by stevemc181 and they are a winner !
So so comfy nearly as comfy as my ARB swag mattress ( best I've slept on) .
So will be going for those me thinks ...

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

stevemc181
13th April 2017, 03:54 PM
I've had a go at the Megamat suggested by stevemc181 and they are a winner !
So so comfy nearly as comfy as my ARB swag mattress ( best I've slept on) .
So will be going for those me thinks ...

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Yep, you won't regret it. I've also removed the little deflation flapper valve in mine so it deflates quicker when I roll it up. This has it's pro's and cons though and makes it a little difficult to release just a small amount of pressure when setting the mattress to exactly how you like it. Make sure you let the mattress breathe unrolled for a day or two before use if it has been packed for a long time or you will need to blow it up a bit more than usual with the included shnozzle pump thing! They take a bit to inflate the first time out of the packet.

threedogs
13th April 2017, 04:22 PM
Rosscoe your set up looks like its from a Harem scene in Arabian nights,,,,lol
looks very comfy though