PDA

View Full Version : ACMA reverses decision ruling millions of uhf radios illegal.

VK2FMIA
9th February 2017, 10:19 AM
Seems that 40 channel CB`s were to become illegal. Found this on another forum, first I had heard of it. Glad it has been reversed.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-03/acma-reverses-decision-ruling-millions-of-uhf-radios-illegal/8235502

mudnut
9th February 2017, 10:49 AM
Rules like these are designed to keep the economy ticking over. Glad it was overturned.

TimE
9th February 2017, 11:07 AM
Rules like these are designed to keep the economy ticking over. Glad it was overturned.

Don't jump the gun just yet. They are only proposals. Check the ACMA website, they are calling for submissions on their PROPOSAL to change the rule.

Hopefully common sense will rule and 40 channels will remain "legal".

VK2FMIA
9th February 2017, 03:12 PM

Could be right there Mudnut, from what I can understand they are worried about "congestion" on the CB band. The original 40 channels are still on the same frequencies on the new 80 channels units, so what is the point of banning them when the frequencies are the same?. I thought the whole idea about 40 new channels was to deal with the congestion.

Probably some communication company pushing for this.

Rock Trol
9th February 2017, 04:58 PM
The reason they want to get rid of the 40 channel units is that when they created the 80 channel units they had to split the current bands as they could not increase the overall spectrum assigned for uhf. They could not add the extra 20 channels to the ends of the existing spectrum.

The 40's run on 25 hertz and the 80's on 12.5 hertz. If you have two units of each type talking to each other on channel 22 for instance then the fourty transmits and receives at 25 hertz while the 80 operates at 12.5 and has been tuned to be in the centre of that range. It actually misses out on 6.25 hertz of transmission on either side of the 40's transmission. That's why the newer units don't pick up the older ones very clearly as they can't catch the full transmission and the older units don't pick up the 80 as loudly as the 40. That's why in a mixed convoy you have people not hearing conversations properly.

the 40's also cause splatter on the higher channels as when they transmit on ch 22 they also transmit 6.25 hertz of their messag to ch 61 and 62 which sit either side of ch 22 on the eighty ch units. A diagram would explain it better.

VK2FMIA
9th February 2017, 06:11 PM
The reason they want to get rid of the 40 channel units is that when they created the 80 channel units they had to split the current bands as they could not increase the overall spectrum assigned for uhf. They could not add the extra 20 channels to the ends of the existing spectrum.

The 40's run on 25 hertz and the 80's on 12.5 hertz. If you have two units of each type talking to each other on channel 22 for instance then the fourty transmits and receives at 25 hertz while the 80 operates at 12.5 and has been tuned to be in the centre of that range. It actually misses out on 6.25 hertz of transmission on either side of the 40's transmission. That's why the newer units don't pick up the older ones very clearly as they can't catch the full transmission and the older units don't pick up the 80 as loudly as the 40. That's why in a mixed convoy you have people not hearing conversations properly.

the 40's also cause splatter on the higher channels as when they transmit on ch 22 they also transmit 6.25 hertz of their messag to ch 61 and 62 which sit either side of ch 22 on the eighty ch units. A diagram would explain it better.

FM transmitters on the 477 Mhz band (and most other FM bands) can only use a signal 8 Khz wide for voice. On the old 40 channel CB`s the frequencies were spaced 25 Khz apart but only use 4 Khz either side of the channel frequency. The new 40 channels were squeezed in between & a few added to the end of the band at a spacing of 12.5 Khz. Both still only transmit & receive an 8 Khz wide signal so there should be no bleed over, if they do then they are not within legal transmitting bandwidth.

Rock Trol
9th February 2017, 07:40 PM
FM transmitters on the 477 Mhz band (and most other FM bands) can only use a signal 8 Khz wide for voice. On the old 40 channel CB`s the frequencies were spaced 25 Khz apart but only use 4 Khz either side of the channel frequency. The new 40 channels were squeezed in between & a few added to the end of the band at a spacing of 12.5 Khz. Both still only transmit & receive an 8 Khz wide signal so there should be no bleed over, if they do then they are not within legal transmitting bandwidth.

thanks for the correction. I couldn't remember the actual units when I posted. We were told that this was the reason by someone who owened a communications business that spoke to us at one of our club meetings. He was salivating at the thought of selling a lot of new radios. Looks like the authorities are reconsidering.

threedogs
10th February 2017, 10:38 AM
I find it funny that talking on a cell phone is illegal but youre free to talk on a CB/UHF whilst driving?
or have they changed that to.

VK2FMIA
10th February 2017, 12:00 PM
I find it funny that talking on a cell phone is illegal but youre free to talk on a CB/UHF whilst driving?
or have they changed that to.

Bit of a grey area there too TD. Not sure of the rules on this but I always put the mike down if I see police about just in case they think it is a cell phone!. Problem could be these days with microphones with a display & lots of buttons you have to look at might be mistaken for a phone.

If Police & emergency agencies can use them I can't see it being a problem for the general public. Have heard stories of people being pulled up but nothing about getting a fine.

mudnut
10th February 2017, 12:19 PM
I haven't had any trouble with using a mix of old and new radios in any convoy. I have been given a few old 40 channel radios that someone has fiddled with the channels though. I have no idea why they have done so. I keep those radios for parts.

TPC
10th February 2017, 12:39 PM
I have a 80ch and have found some 40ch radios come through distorted to me but sound ok on other 40ch units.
The reason would be they are probably transmitting with the full 5 KHz deviation and the 80ch units have their receivers set up to handle 2.5 KHz deviation.

I think all 40 channel units should be banned and everybody should have to buy a new 80 channel unit from my work. :wink:

Touses
10th February 2017, 12:50 PM
I have a 80ch and have found some 40ch radios come through distorted to me but sound ok on other 40ch units.
The reason would be they are probably transmitting with the full 5 KHz deviation and the 80ch units have their receivers set up to handle 2.5 KHz deviation.

I think all 40 channel units should be banned and everybody should have to buy a new 80 channel unit from my work. :wink:

Capitalist Pig!!! I applaud you!:clapping:

threedogs
10th February 2017, 01:04 PM

tick tick tick I love the way you think.lol

mudnut
10th February 2017, 01:22 PM
Meh, I have some 80 channel units any way.

threedogs
10th February 2017, 01:43 PM
I remember all they way back when CBs were first around in 18channel guise, they were deemed illegal to eh?
I also have a spare 80 channel but dont think its worth fitting as all the channels
I use are under 40 anyway,,,,,,lol

Avo
10th February 2017, 01:50 PM
my boss is gunna love me...i told him about this rule in 2013 i think,he went out and bought 6 units with 80 channels....maybe i won't tell him..

TPC
10th February 2017, 01:59 PM
I remember all they way back when CBs were first around in 18channel guise, they were deemed illegal to eh?
I also have a spare 80 channel but dont think its worth fitting as all the channels
I use are under 40 anyway,,,,,,lol

The 18 channel CB's were 27MHz, not UHF and they changed to 40 channel in the early 80's.

Back then they wanted every CB to have a licence.

mudnut
10th February 2017, 03:25 PM
The 18 channel CB's were 27MHz, not UHF and they changed to 40 channel in the early 80's.

Ahh the old turn to channel channel such and such Australian and so and so American after picking up a YL copy.

BillsGU
11th February 2017, 10:51 AM

The bureaucrats were as dumb and unrealistic then as they are now. I still remember the PMG Kombi vans with the loop antennas on the roof that were trying to track us down and confiscate our radios! Hmm – maybe Ground Hog Day is just around the corner.