PDA

View Full Version : New track rating app - feedback required

red1234
8th February 2017, 04:15 PM
Hi guys

I'm in the process of releasing a new app that will hopefully make 4wding and exploring the bush easier and safer. Its purpose is to provide up-to-date track information for popular tracks in oz, to allow better route planning and safer navigation. Users can see up-to-date track difficulty and conditions on any given day or week for all Australian tracks.

The app was inspired by issues I have personally had with planning trips into unknown areas or tracks, where often there would be limited recent track condition info. It would be difficult to know if my vehicle was capable, if tracks were passable, and what mods or gear I would need to have to attempt.

In addition, track difficulty will be customised to the user based on vehicle type and mods, since a hard track for a stock standard Prado might be easy for a kitted up GQ.

Keen to get feedback on this app prior to release from the 4x4 community so we can add any other functionality you may think valuable.

Feel free to ask any questions.

Cheers
Red

TimE
8th February 2017, 04:25 PM
Sort of Wikitracks?

red1234
8th February 2017, 04:50 PM
Hi guys

I'm in the process of releasing a new app that will hopefully make 4wding and exploring the bush easier and safer. Its purpose is to provide up-to-date track information for popular tracks in oz, to allow better route planning and safer navigation. Users can see up-to-date track difficulty and conditions on any given day or week for all Australian tracks.

The app was inspired by issues I have personally had with planning trips into unknown areas or tracks, where often there would be limited recent track condition info. It would be difficult to know if my vehicle was capable, if tracks were passable, and what mods or gear I would need to have to attempt.

In addition, track difficulty will be customised to the user based on vehicle type and mods, since a hard track for a stock standard Prado might be easy for a kitted up GQ.

Keen to get feedback on this app prior to release from the 4x4 community so we can add any other functionality you may think valuable.

Cheers
Red
Yes sort of, (do you mean wikicamps?) but my understanding is wikicamps is for camping spots and other points of interest. In addition, it requires user input, whereas our offering would be provided for you and updated daily. Plus I don't think wikicamps provides personalised track difficulties/ratings.

NissanGQ4.2
8th February 2017, 04:57 PM
Is there a demo app we can trial before the official release???

TimE
8th February 2017, 05:08 PM
Yes sort of, (do you mean wikicamps?) but my understanding is wikicamps is for camping spots and other points of interest. In addition, it requires user input, whereas our offering would be provided for you and updated daily. Plus I don't think wikicamps provides personalised track difficulties/ratings.

No, what I meant was a "crowd" updated, edited, added to app like Wikicamps but for tracks, hence call it Wikitracks? The advantage of "crowd" updates is there is the potential for 100s of updates per day/week, something a "headquarters" site would struggle to do in "real time" I think.

In any case I like the idea of up to date track info, with a rating for each track. Good luck with your endeavors.

red1234
8th February 2017, 05:31 PM
I like your idea, we could include crowdsourced input for sure. Certain track conditions would require this.

The core offering would however be automatic - this is the key value add. Agree it would be costly but we are working on proprietary method of overcoming this.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

threedogs
8th February 2017, 05:42 PM
How does track condition be updated eg. Deer stalker is ok one day and impassable the next

Mike02Ti
8th February 2017, 06:34 PM
I do like the idea of this. Would be cool if people could geotag photos of general obstacles or things along the track too.
Eg big rutted out hill so you knew what you were in for or old railway bridge that could be nice for a stop.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

GQtdauto
8th February 2017, 06:55 PM
WikiCamps only failing is what one person reckons is great another reckons was horrendous, you have to learn to read between the lines .
Same for track conditions , someone with 35 inch tyres and front and back lockers will say piece of piss when in actual fact it may be impassable .
Also the more people who use a muddy track in a day may take it from easy to chewed out and how do you get that update with no cell phone coverage out bush .
Love the idea though .

VK2FMIA
8th February 2017, 07:04 PM
Great idea. Have planned trips over the years only to find roads & tracks that are on the maps either closed or locked, then having to make a long detour to get to your destination. I think user participation would be key, especially local knowledge of an area. Mike02Ti suggestion of geotagged photos of obstacles & points of interest would be a great help.

One track in my area has restricted access, you need keys & a permit to use it. A lot of people go up there only to find the gates locked. Info on an app on how to gain access, eg; contact numbers & conditions of entry would make it easier, once again local knowledge would be an advantage.

Good luck with it, will be keeping an eye on this thread to see how you go..............

red1234
9th February 2017, 11:09 AM
The core of the value proposition is to analyse user route data to determine track difficulty. User input is not necessary and the difficulty is determined via algorithms in the background, normalised against vehicle type and mods. Track difficulties would therefore be objective and the app will provide recommendations not only of track difficulty based on your rig setup but mods you could add to tackle harder tracks.

Daily track updates would be pushed to your device and downloaded for offline use - no data connection required.

Thoughts?

red1234
9th February 2017, 11:10 AM
That being said, ability to add photos etc is a bonus, but the app trys to address current issues where information gaps exist when you rely on user input.

red1234
9th February 2017, 11:18 AM
Is there a demo app we can trial before the official release???
Not yet, we're working on it!

red1234
9th February 2017, 11:19 AM
How does track condition be updated eg. Deer stalker is ok one day and impassable the next
By analysing user route data in the cloud.

Cuppa
9th February 2017, 11:41 AM
To me the idea of ‘crowd sourcing’ such an app, like Wikicamps does would be the only practical method of keeping the info relatively up to date for users. This notion of ‘analysing user route data in the cloud’ sounds somewhat ‘pie in the sky’ if you’ll excuse the pun. :) What user data in the cloud is likely to be available & updated regularly for any but the major tracks? Info which is already readily accessible from state road authorities? That may be worthwhile putting altogether into a single app, but I suspect is less than many folk here would want.

If talking about 4wd tracks (eg. High country tracks or Simpson crossing tracks) as opposed to the main connecting outback tracks (Eg. Birdsville or Oodnadatta tracks) to rate I just cannot see that sort of info being available on an up to date basis (in which case it is pretty useless info) without regular user input. I guess I could be wrong & perhaps you know of regular & reliable info sources I am unaware of, but I’d be surprised.

red1234
9th February 2017, 06:18 PM
You are correct, user input is required, however the platform requires users to upload raw route data (GPS data, etc) which is saved to their device as they use the app on the track. This upload can be automated, as opposed to users consciously having to add info of track conditions, which is more unreliable. The more traffic a track has the more data you can collect. Analysing that data will allow you to infer track conditions.

To me the idea of ‘crowd sourcing’ such an app, like Wikicamps does would be the only practical method of keeping the info relatively up to date for users. This notion of ‘analysing user route data in the cloud’ sounds somewhat ‘pie in the sky’ if you’ll excuse the pun. :) What user data in the cloud is likely to be available & updated regularly for any but the major tracks? Info which is already readily accessible from state road authorities? That may be worthwhile putting altogether into a single app, but I suspect is less than many folk here would want.

If talking about 4wd tracks (eg. High country tracks or Simpson crossing tracks) as opposed to the main connecting outback tracks (Eg. Birdsville or Oodnadatta tracks) to rate I just cannot see that sort of info being available on an up to date basis (in which case it is pretty useless info) without regular user input. I guess I could be wrong & perhaps you know of regular & reliable info sources I am unaware of, but I’d be surprised.

Boinzo
9th February 2017, 06:29 PM
I like this idea. I think it could be made very useful.
Let me know if you need a hand. I'm a software developer with some apps of my own and 25 years experience in user interface design etc.

gubigfish
9th February 2017, 06:35 PM
I would say your biggest issue with this idea is the lack of any decent mobile coverage in 99% of the places that people would want information on these products, which in turn will mean people will need to wait till their in an area that does have mobile coverage in which time that data will be out of date.

Just my 2 cents

red1234
9th February 2017, 06:43 PM
I would say your biggest issue with this idea is the lack of any decent mobile coverage in 99% of the places that people would want information on these products, which in turn will mean people will need to wait till their in an area that does have mobile coverage in which time that data will be out of date.

Just my 2 cents
Fair call, need to work through that issue.

Hodge
9th February 2017, 08:36 PM
Fair call, need to work through that issue.

You could do something like "Download area/map", like the current Hema Explorer on Android does.
You select an area and it downloads all the map tiles in that whole area so it can be used when out of coverage.

red1234
10th February 2017, 07:18 PM
You could do something like "Download area/map", like the current Hema Explorer on Android does.
You select an area and it downloads all the map tiles in that whole area so it can be used when out of coverage.
We have included ability to use offline due to probable poor network coverage

red1234
18th February 2017, 11:15 AM
Hey guys quick update on this project

https://doableprojects1.wixsite.com/newtracs

Have a look and register your interest!

red1234
22nd February 2017, 08:41 PM
Hey guys quick update on this project

https://doableprojects1.wixsite.com/newtracs

Have a look and register your interest!

New website here www.newtracs.com

AB
22nd February 2017, 09:18 PM
Looks good mate and best of luck with it.

Heads up on your developer to be conscious of avoiding yanky spelling?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

red1234
9th March 2017, 12:00 PM
Looks good mate and best of luck with it.

Heads up on your developer to be conscious of avoiding yanky spelling?

Now fixed! Also guys make sure to follow us on Instagram @newtracs

Will be posting updates and photos periodically.

Rumcajs
9th March 2017, 07:39 PM
The core of the value proposition is to analyse user route data to determine track difficulty. User input is not necessary and the difficulty is determined via algorithms in the background, normalised against vehicle type and mods. Track difficulties would therefore be objective and the app will provide recommendations not only of track difficulty based on your rig setup but mods you could add to tackle harder tracks.

Daily track updates would be pushed to your device and downloaded for offline use - no data connection required.

Thoughts?

I have to stop right there and think for a moment! Can't help but wonder if this is to be used as future tracking of 4WDrivers and where they go....
Is this another "big brother" moment in development. I have a big issue with software running as it pleases on my devices without asking for permission or information or my choosing.

This is kind of near real time tracking can be absolute privacy nightmare, I would be happy to let others know of track condition at my choosing though but this is a big NO NO in my books. The software determining what exactly and based on what. What happens when someone else get their sticky fingers in to that data. How do I know what else is uploaded, considering that Android platform being full of holes and data mining I don't think we need another one. So once it analyses the data on the device I presume (nope it uses the cloud) does it strip the identifiers and determines that the track in question is passable? Or does is log everything in the database for the future references of any kind?

It reeks "the Cortana getting to know you" creepy spying TBH.

From the blurb on the website "Proprietary software analyses route data...." I have instant cringe when I read "proprietary analyses ....data"....driving history.... personalised....vehicle setup etc. Collecting personally identifiable data and then what? So how does it work? What/where it does store that data and who has a say? What are the benchmarks, how does it analyses that data against? And then of course is the question about monetizing that data as I'm sure there is an opportunity/interest in there.

Honestly, I admire your intention but like it seems with other software developers, somehow they think that users are idiots unable to have correct judgement, making decision etc.

Which idiot developer/s designed GPS navigational apps/software algos? Exclusively always have epic fails when it comes to a simple task of navigating to a destination correctly.

Anyway, good luck with it.

Regards

GQtdauto
9th March 2017, 07:51 PM
Must admit you make a good point , but we now buy tracking monitors so we can find our stolen items and family and friends can monitor our progress .
Probably not a good idea to do any of this stuff if your names Mick and you live near Wolf creek though .

red1234
10th March 2017, 10:48 AM
I have to stop right there and think for a moment! Can't help but wonder if this is to be used as future tracking of 4WDrivers and where they go....
Is this another "big brother" moment in development. I have a big issue with software running as it pleases on my devices without asking for permission or information or my choosing.

This is kind of near real time tracking can be absolute privacy nightmare, I would be happy to let others know of track condition at my choosing though but this is a big NO NO in my books. The software determining what exactly and based on what. What happens when someone else get their sticky fingers in to that data. How do I know what else is uploaded, considering that Android platform being full of holes and data mining I don't think we need another one. So once it analyses the data on the device I presume (nope it uses the cloud) does it strip the identifiers and determines that the track in question is passable? Or does is log everything in the database for the future references of any kind?

It reeks "the Cortana getting to know you" creepy spying TBH.

From the blurb on the website "Proprietary software analyses route data...." I have instant cringe when I read "proprietary analyses ....data"....driving history.... personalised....vehicle setup etc. Collecting personally identifiable data and then what? So how does it work? What/where it does store that data and who has a say? What are the benchmarks, how does it analyses that data against? And then of course is the question about monetizing that data as I'm sure there is an opportunity/interest in there.

Honestly, I admire your intention but like it seems with other software developers, somehow they think that users are idiots unable to have correct judgement, making decision etc.

Which idiot developer/s designed GPS navigational apps/software algos? Exclusively always have epic fails when it comes to a simple task of navigating to a destination correctly.

Anyway, good luck with it.

Regards

Thanks for taking the time to give this feedback, you touch on an important point. I'll try to address as many questions as I can.

- The aim of the app is to amalgamate user data to draw insights, individuals won't be "tracked" as there is no value in doing that. It's the "patterns" that emerge from behaviour of certain vehicles in certain conditions that drive the analysis principles.

- The app will ask permission before collecting any data from your device.

- Analysis won't be in real time, it will be delayed (usually 1-2 days) as users will most likely be out of range for real time analysis. We'll never know where you are at any point in time because you will have moved by the time we see the data.

- Yes analysis will be done in the cloud, similar to google maps.

- The premise of this service ultimatley revolves around collecting user gps data for the collective benefit of the 4wd and camping community. We acknowledge some users will be uncomfortable providing this data and that's fine. There are plenty of other services that already exist where users can add info on tracks actively and don't collect data - in my experience these services are not good enough.

- your personal information (name, address, etc) is not required and doesn't need to be collected, it's not useful in the pursuit of making this amazing hobby safer. You'll need an email address to login, that's all. We will ask to provide info on your vehicle, but this will be generic info (make, model, etc).

- i don't think you're idiots. You are all providing feedback that will shape this service - you are subject matter experts.

- we won't sell your data. Period.

I can't share much by way of how the data is analysed as this forms the basis of our IP.

However for a little context, we are a startup with a small team. This is a solution to a problem that I as an active 4wder have come across many times and thought to try to solve. Given the overwhelming support (we have received amazing support since inception) this issue seems to be shared by many. So however it is solved I feel it should be done.

Happy to answer any more questions where I can.

Red

Rumcajs
10th March 2017, 07:15 PM
Happy to answer any more questions where I can.

Red

I'm curious as to how does the app actually work/figure presence on a 4WD track?

Does the app constantly runs in the background and checks the GPS data coordinates against known tracks or does the user activates the logging/tracking?

Is this app just for smart phones and tablets with GSM connectivity or will it work over WIFI as well?

Regards

red1234
10th March 2017, 07:48 PM
I'm curious as to how does the app actually work/figure presence on a 4WD track?

Does the app constantly runs in the background and checks the GPS data coordinates against known tracks or does the user activates the logging/tracking?

Is this app just for smart phones and tablets with GSM connectivity or will it work over WIFI as well?

Regards

Great question. Short answer is we are still working this out.

It will use GPS to figure out where you are, then logs data points and saves them to your device while offline (the file is small like a text file, won't take up much space). Once you are in wifi or 3G range it will sync this file to our server where it gets analysed with other user files. Results for each track are consolidated and pushed to your device.

We are testing ways in which the GPS will be activated, whether it be manually by the user or automatically say when you open the app.

Will work with any Internet connection.

red1234
8th August 2017, 06:36 PM
HI all

I wanted to provide an update on this app. We have continued to progress the project and currently we are recruiting 4wders to help collect baseline data. Initial focus will be on capturing track data for Victoria, with a focus on the High Country region.

Please yell out if you are interested in providing GPS track data (you might already be recording your tracks). We will be offering free use of the app (including premium features) on launch for those who contribute.

Many thanks

James.

MudRunnerTD
8th August 2017, 10:48 PM
HI all

I wanted to provide an update on this app. We have continued to progress the project and currently we are recruiting 4wders to help collect baseline data. Initial focus will be on capturing track data for Victoria, with a focus on the High Country region.

Please yell out if you are interested in providing GPS track data (you might already be recording your tracks). We will be offering free use of the app (including premium features) on launch for those who contribute.

Many thanks

James.

Will this be Apple or android? I'd be keen to run some tests on the Apple. Are you assuming that your app will run as the primary mapping package and GPS? Surely it must or swapping between hema or mudmap to your app would be come clunky.

I'm keen to do some testing in the high country for you on an iPad no worries.

red1234
9th August 2017, 10:37 AM
Will this be Apple or android? I'd be keen to run some tests on the Apple. Are you assuming that your app will run as the primary mapping package and GPS? Surely it must or swapping between hema or mudmap to your app would be come clunky.

I'm keen to do some testing in the high country for you on an iPad no worries.
Thanks MudRunner, we intend on releasing the app on both IOS and Android but may make use of 3rd party apps for collection of data whilst ours are being built.

Our vision is that Newtracs will be the only navigation app you will need but we will look to build in functionality to allow you to use Hema and other popular map formats in the app also. Hema make paper maps and digitise them to use on a mobile device - our core offering will have a feel similar to Google maps, but with more accurate track info.

I will PM you with details of how you can contribute.

BigRAWesty
10th August 2017, 11:38 AM
Isnt this what 4x4 earth was about AB MudRunnerTD

red1234
10th August 2017, 12:10 PM
Isnt this what 4x4 earth was about AB MudRunnerTD
Hi bigguwesty, 4x4 earth seems to aim to provide track reports, but my experience with it is that the reports are not comprehensive or updated regularly enough. Our app will be able to infer the condition of the track users tackle without their active input. In this way we can provide regular updates of track conditions to a wide number of tracks. In addition we aim to offer other useful features like track difficulties tailored to your rig setup, route planning, and location of free campsites.

red1234
19th April 2018, 12:56 PM
Hi all

Quick update on progress - we have further progressed with development and have gained access to a huge dataset of GPS track logs covering most of Australia. This will represent our baseline dataset and we plan to have something out in the market by October.

I have been doing the rounds visiting 4x4 club member meetings (in Vic) to spread the word and gain valuable feedback. Support from the community has been fantastic, showing a real need for this solution.

We have also built a prototype analysis engine which can ingest standard GPX track logs to figure out where problem areas are along tracks. Difficulty is based on comparing performance of cars and their respective setups.

Check out the mock up screenshots in the galley on our website at www.newtracs.com.au/gallery (https://www.newtracs.com.au/gallery)

Cheers
James

Mike02Ti
19th April 2018, 04:06 PM
James just on your analysis engine , im guessing this will be ultimately what will grade track difficulty autonomously.

How does this differentiate between say a driver taking it easy and crawling up or down difficult terrain vs a driver who limiter bashes it and goes as fast as they can all the way through the same obstacle?

Surely if it was partly a time based kind of analysis that it could be completely wrong in grading of the track.

Hope you get what im saying.

MudRunnerTD
19th April 2018, 05:45 PM
James just on your analysis engine , im guessing this will be ultimately what will grade track difficulty autonomously.

How does this differentiate between say a driver taking it easy and crawling up or down difficult terrain vs a driver who limiter bashes it and goes as fast as they can all the way through the same obstacle?

Surely if it was partly a time based kind of analysis that it could be completely wrong in grading of the track.

And dry versus Wet is a whole other animal.

MB
19th April 2018, 07:46 PM
Awesome idea mate! Very hard though from recent experiences found up there in the Vic-HC. Planned burnoff/dozer blokes keep moving their signs without thought of the 6hr open track crawling start point to get there :-( !

rusty_nail
20th April 2018, 06:46 PM
HI all

Many thanks

James.

Sent from my Pixel using TapatalkG'day mate, just seen your thread and have to admit you have done really well for the third degree some have given you. I understand your motives and think it is a great project. I've tried to sign up in your website but either my internet connection is piss poor or your servers are inundated with people signing up =P

I'm definitely been to be a beta tester for your app. Also, if your an avid 4wder and available you should drop by on our August forum Meetup in licola? Would be a good opportunity to show people how your app works?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

rusty_nail
20th April 2018, 06:47 PM
Also just realised the post I replied to is over 12 months old! My bad!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

GQtdauto
20th April 2018, 06:49 PM
Must look into it as we're heading for the cape from Northern vic then to the Kimberly and much of it on dirt .

Mike02Ti
20th April 2018, 10:23 PM
Also just realised the post I replied to is over 12 months old! My bad!

Sent from my SM-G930F using TapatalkThe thread is over 12 months old. The post you replied to is only about a day and a half old. He gave us an update via his old thread [emoji6]

red1234
21st April 2018, 07:29 PM
G'day mate, just seen your thread and have to admit you have done really well for the third degree some have given you. I understand your motives and think it is a great project. I've tried to sign up in your website but either my internet connection is piss poor or your servers are inundated with people signing up =P

Thanks mate - any feedback is good feedback. We've have indeed getting a lot of people signing up and they seem to be getting through - if you are still struggling let me know and Ill punch it into the database manually.

I'm definitely been to be a beta tester for your app.

Awesome, we are hoping to have something solid released by October but I will announce if and when we need beta testers. Best way is to sign up to the newsletter to stay on top of news.

Also, if your an avid 4wder and available you should drop by on our August forum Meetup in licola? Would be a good opportunity to show people how your app works?

I would be keen to come along - available time will be the deciding factor. We are making significant moves with a few key partners interested in the project and time is limited. But Ill figure out how I can come along - always good to talk about it face to face with people. Do you have a contact name or email address I can use to get in touch?

Your points are spot on, however the analysis engine aggregates or averages track insights across all users who went up that track. If someone is fanging it up a track on the limiter, when usually most will crawl, he (or she) will be an outlier in the data and wont skew the average so much. Hope that makes sense. That being said, the engine is still being refined, and will benefit from having access to a big dataset - which we now have.

Much of the benefit will come from just knowing who went before you - if you know a GQ with 2inch lift and 35s went up no problem you can make a judgement on whether you will struggle based on how you rig compares, regardless of what difficulty the track has been assigned.

On your example I would also argue in low range, hitting the limiter vs crawling doesnt have a massive impact on your actual speed, more your ability to get over obstacles. When looking from a birds eye view your speed wouldnt look TOO different. Happy to hear rebuttals.

And dry versus Wet is a whole other animal.

It is, and this is taken into account differently. We are also looking to pull in rainfall data from BOM to help with this analysis. Its not enough to assume because its raining it will be difficult (but thats a good precaution to take) because the terrain directs water away from the road differently from track to track.. Many a time Ive been up tracks that had heaps of rain but due to the specific terrain features that track was dry.

One way we determine wet vs dry is too look at the mods cars have, to see if there are differences in performance between cars with mud vs all-terrain tyres for example. This is an indicator that tracks are wet.

Awesome idea mate! Very hard though from recent experiences found up there in the Vic-HC. Planned burnoff/dozer blokes keep moving their signs without thought of the 6hr open track crawling start point to get there :-( !

Thanks!

MB
21st April 2018, 09:27 PM
Most welcome Red mate :-)!
Certainly wasn’t trying a third degree as some would say ;-) Probably the least techy bloke on this forum I’d be and it does sound like an awesome idea mate! Only honestly truly meant that government websites and verbal phone query info we follow can’t seem to keep themselves up to date, not you brother!!

Mike02Ti
22nd April 2018, 12:52 AM
Your points are spot on, however the analysis engine aggregates or averages track insights across all users who went up that track. If someone is fanging it up a track on the limiter, when usually most will crawl, he (or she) will be an outlier in the data and wont skew the average so much. Hope that makes sense. That being said, the engine is still being refined, and will benefit from having access to a big dataset - which we now have.

Much of the benefit will come from just knowing who went before you - if you know a GQ with 2inch lift and 35s went up no problem you can make a judgement on whether you will struggle based on how you rig compares, regardless of what difficulty the track has been assigned.

On your example I would also argue in low range, hitting the limiter vs crawling doesnt have a massive impact on your actual speed, more your ability to get over obstacles. When looking from a birds eye view your speed wouldnt look TOO different. Happy to hear rebuttals.

Thanks for making that a bit clearer. I can imagine its going to be a headache to refine with so many variables.
However i do believe knowing the min recommended mods would be very handy indeed

What about user ratings? Will they have any merit. Eg Joe goes down track. Rates that track 2 for difficulty . Has front and rear lockers 35s and 4 inch lift.
Bill then does same track. Rates it a 4 for difficulty as he struggled with no lockers and 31s.

red1234
12th December 2018, 08:28 PM
Thanks for making that a bit clearer. I can imagine its going to be a headache to refine with so many variables.
However i do believe knowing the min recommended mods would be very handy indeed

What about user ratings? Will they have any merit. Eg Joe goes down track. Rates that track 2 for difficulty . Has front and rear lockers 35s and 4 inch lift.
Bill then does same track. Rates it a 4 for difficulty as he struggled with no lockers and 31s.

I think that has merit for sure, initially I wanted a solution that didn't only rely on user input alone. I will look to build this into the next iteration.

red1234
12th December 2018, 08:31 PM
Hi all,

Just wanted to give an update on this for those who haven't been getting newsletters. I have release a prototype version of my newly built 4wd track map. The map includes track difficulties which I welcome you to scrutinise for accuracy. Testing has shown excellent results so far. This map has been made from track logs of multiple users, and our database continues to grow from contributions of personal track logs. I can process standard GPX track logs exported by most GPS tracker apps/devices.

www.newtracs.com.au/track-map

I have also put up a quick 1 min walkthrough of navigating the map. See here https://youtu.be/E8mX7dAp6i

As always keen to get your feedback on how it works and level of accuracy based on your knowledge.

Note this map doesn't work offline, still working on the mobile app for iOS and will be out early next year.

IF YOU HAVE TRACK LOGS, please consider contributing to the database! See https://www.newtracs.com.au/track-log-upload.

500 KMs of track logs submitted will get you your first years subscription to premium features for free as well as first go at the app as a beta tester.

Follow us on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter for the latest updates.

Cheers guys
James

red1234
17th December 2018, 07:17 PM
Hi all,

Just wanted to give an update on this for those who haven't been getting newsletters. I have release a prototype version of my newly built 4wd track map. The map includes track difficulties which I welcome you to scrutinise for accuracy. Testing has shown excellent results so far. This map has been made from track logs of multiple users, and our database continues to grow from contributions of personal track logs. I can process standard GPX track logs exported by most GPS tracker apps/devices.

www.newtracs.com.au/track-map

I have also put up a quick 1 min walkthrough of navigating the map. See here https://youtu.be/E8mX7dAp6i

As always keen to get your feedback on how it works and level of accuracy based on your knowledge.

Note this map doesn't work offline, still working on the mobile app for iOS and will be out early next year.

IF YOU HAVE TRACK LOGS, please consider contributing to the database! See https://www.newtracs.com.au/track-log-upload.

500 KMs of track logs submitted will get you your first years subscription to premium features for free as well as first go at the app as a beta tester.

Follow us on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter for the latest updates.

Cheers guys
James

Sorry guys, link to video is wrong, try this instead - https://youtu.be/E8mX7dAp6iI

jamesedger
23rd September 2023, 03:03 PM
Hi guys

I'm in the process of releasing a new gb instagram app (https://gbinstaa.com) that will hopefully make 4wding and exploring the bush easier and safer. Its purpose is to provide up-to-date track information for popular tracks in oz, to allow better route planning and safer navigation. Users can see up-to-date track difficulty and conditions on any given day or week for all Australian tracks.

Cheers
Red

sorry to bumping this very old post, just curious to know where can I have this app on my device? Please share a trusted source of this app! thanks in advance.

Cremulator
23rd September 2023, 07:21 PM
sorry to bumping this very old post, just curious to know where can I have this app on my device? Please share a trusted source of this app! thanks in advance.Post #23? Did you even have a look through this thread?