PDA

View Full Version : Roof top tent or pod tent?

bazzaboy
31st January 2017, 09:50 AM
Guys,

I'm thinking about removing my Rhino rack and replacing it with a rack to suit either a rooftop tent or a pod tent. Due to some back issues, I'm thinking a pod style tent would be easier and simple to open & close. Simple & fast is what I'm after. One concern I have is that the canvas seems to attach to the inside edge of the pod. Could that be a weather/waterproofing issue?

Could anyone who has a pod style tent, and is over 6'2" tall, please give me their opinions/views on them, good or bad. I know their probably much more expensive but I'll pay that for a comfortable and simple-fast set-up - pull-down.

threedogs
31st January 2017, 09:59 AM
Maggiolinna do a great pod style tent I think they are South African designed.
Personally Im not a fan of any style of RTT, up and down ladders WT

bazzaboy
31st January 2017, 02:01 PM
Maggiolinna do a great pod style tent I think they are South African designed.
Personally Im not a fan of any style of RTT, up and down ladders WT

I tend to agree with you, but on those occasions when I don't have my CT behind me, I thought that a RTT or pod might be a faster and easier option than my tent. If proven not, for whatever reason, I would stay with my tent.

Cuppa
31st January 2017, 02:16 PM
One thing you may not have considered (but if you have just ignore this).

We had a rooftop tent & I also have some back issues.

We were very happy with the design RTT we chose (Shippshape) BUT it was the back issues which determined it had to go. This had nothing to do with erecting the tent & the same problem would arise with any RTT, whether it was a pod or ‘conventional style. The problem (for me) is that you are stuck up on top of the vehicle in an enclosure in which you can’t stand up. This means that on the occasions when you can’t come down the ladder & get dressed outside - either because of modesty when camped in places where there are others, or because it is p*ssing down with rain (pod’s have no other shelter/privacy arrangements - some RTT’s do, but this involves extra set -up generally) that you have to dress sitting down. With my back issues I found this very uncomfortable because having canvas sides there is nothing to lean against. May not be an issue for you, but better to know before you buy rather than learn as I did.

We now have a CT & an Oztent RV3 for flexibility.

bazzaboy
31st January 2017, 04:53 PM
One thing you may not have considered (but if you have just ignore this).

We had a rooftop tent & I also have some back issues.

We were very happy with the design RTT we chose (Shippshape) BUT it was the back issues which determined it had to go. This had nothing to do with erecting the tent & the same problem would arise with any RTT, whether it was a pod or ‘conventional style. The problem (for me) is that you are stuck up on top of the vehicle in an enclosure in which you can’t stand up. This means that on the occasions when you can’t come down the ladder & get dressed outside - either because of modesty when camped in places where there are others, or because it is p*ssing down with rain (pod’s have no other shelter/privacy arrangements - some RTT’s do, but this involves extra set -up generally) that you have to dress sitting down. With my back issues I found this very uncomfortable because having canvas sides there is nothing to lean against. May not be an issue for you, but better to know before you buy rather than learn as I did.

We now have a CT & an Oztent RV3 for flexibility.

I hadn't considered the confinement issue, which could be a major issue. I was more concerned about the ladder access. My back issue comes from many years of riding motorbikes and can trigger at any time, but mainly if twisting or stretching. You raise some good points, thank you. I may stay with my tent and stretcher. It's definitely less restrictive.

VK2FMIA
31st January 2017, 04:56 PM
Have had a rooftopper for just on six years now & it has been setup & packed up hundreds of times. Probably 10 minutes to setup & 20 to pack. Iv`e got the annex to go with mine, hardly us it, but it takes only 5 minutes to attach & comes in handy on those wet days. If staying somewhere for more than a couple of days then a tent is a better option as it leaves the vehicle free to use.

I`m 6` 4", 140 kg & on the wrong side of 50 & also have back problems, but I still prefer setting up the RTT than putting up my 8 man tent!. Rooftoppers are also ideal if the ground is rocky, sandy or covered in burrs. Also cooler up of the ground in summer & warmer than on the ground in winter. Downside......having 60 kg on the roof all the time & having to climb up & down a ladder in the middle of the night to go to the toilet.

Horses for courses I suppose depending on how you plan to travel.

Rooftopper is ideal when the ground (granite) is too hard to put a peg in!

threedogs
31st January 2017, 05:55 PM
I like most others here would use a strtecher under the awning. KISS

Big Gags
12th March 2018, 11:51 PM
Just tried out our new setup for the first time this weekend. ARB Roof top tent (used once by previous owner), ARB Annex (never used by previous owner), and ARB Awning (used only a few times by previous owner). They were great for what we wanted and location was ideal with dry ground and nice grass to setup on. I'm going to get a couple of ground sheet thingos from 4wdsupacentre to put under the annex and under the awning and I'm also going to look at getting one of the sides for the awning so that I can close it off at the front for a bit more protection.

Looking forward to getting out in it again soon!!! Rooftop tent was no problem for both of us (wife and I in late 40s and pretty fit) and it was plenty big enough for my 6'5" frame to fit in comfortably. My wife found the stock mattress a bit firm and will probably use an inflatable on top of it next time but it was OK for me and I slept like a log!! It was a warm night but we had all the side windows up and the mozzie/midgie screens let through a nice breeze!!

balwayne
6th July 2021, 05:42 PM
I like the Maggiolina tent but it is very expensive.

threedogs
7th July 2021, 02:20 PM
Not a fan of having to climb down for number
ones after a big night aroung the camp fire.
Plus thats a lot of weight up top to think about
as well

MB
7th July 2021, 10:25 PM
No Bullshit, Bugger the $5K++ Electrical South Africans for now, RTT’s properly started Down Under up Cape York ways some 20+ years ago at least and beyond still on my beautiful lawn [emoji51][emoji23]

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2021/07/31.jpg

Speed of two stick efficiency up out of croc/piggies ways was key to a fast safe nights regeneration after rum and a pale skin bug bait girlfriend was helpful with foolishly oversized Mexican nuffy mesh [emoji23]

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2021/07/32.jpg

Quality craftsmanship, after 20 years since fibreglassing those ply boards still truly hold water and sweat as sweltered in the day [emoji23][emoji23]

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2021/07/33.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk