PDA

View Full Version : 2.8td running temp?

colegate98
26th April 2011, 06:03 PM
hey, i have a 2.8 gu turbo diesel intercooled and im a bit confused about the running temperature i have an after market temp gauge (dont know if its correct:frown: ) on a cold morning it gets no hotter than 160 degrees fahrenheit which is 71 degrees celsius, does this mean the thermostat hasnt opened? and does anyone know at what temp the gauge in the dash starts to rise?

any help will be grate as its got me confused
cheers

Bigrig
26th April 2011, 06:10 PM
hey, i have a 2.8 gu turbo diesel intercooled and im a bit confused about the running temperature i have an after market temp gauge (dont know if its correct:frown: ) on a cold morning it gets no hotter than 160 degrees fahrenheit which is 71 degrees celsius, does this mean the thermostat hasnt opened? and does anyone know at what temp the gauge in the dash starts to rise?

any help will be grate as its got me confused
cheers

Hey mate, not sure on diesels, but my cold thermostat keeps it sitting at about 74 degrees Celsius ... A normal thermostat is only about 85 degrees, so I am figuring somewhere in that range is probably close to the mark.

colegate98
26th April 2011, 06:34 PM
so if mine is running at 70-75c and my thermostat opens at 82(which i think is standard) does that mean it stay closed whislt im driving at that temp?

YNOT
26th April 2011, 06:39 PM
Your aftermarket gauge is likely to be a lot more accurate than the factory gauge.
What you are describing sounds about normal if a little on the low side. As Scott said standard thermostats open around 82 - 85 degrees C.
A thermostat that is stuck closed will cause overheating within a few minutes of start up, a thermostat stuck open will cause the engine to take a long time to warm up.

Tony

colegate98
26th April 2011, 06:50 PM
yeah it heats up ok but as i said on a cold morning it doesnt go above 70-75c but if its a warmer day it will climb to about 82-83c which i would of thought is fine but then it gets to about 85-88c the standard gauge starts to rise do you know if thats right for the standard gauge to go up at or could that be faulty?

ashley

YNOT
26th April 2011, 07:19 PM
The standard gauges are well known to be inaccurate.
What condition is your cooling system in? How old is the thermostat, radiator, water pump etc?

Tony

colegate98
26th April 2011, 08:28 PM
thermostat and radiator are brand new and water pump im assuming is original. im thinking the head gasket might be on its way out because it gets to a certain temperature and spits the coolant out the overflow only on a hot day thoe...

ashley