PDA

View Full Version : Calaedonia river/Butcher country Feb 9-12

PeeBee
26th January 2017, 07:38 PM
I am heading into the Caledonia River Valley then out via Butcher Country on the dates above. Its a laid back trip, not a piss-fest, so if you are in the area or want to join us please let me know. Might even go in on the night of the 8th to make the drive more interesting. I am sure one night will include PIZZA's!

mudski
26th January 2017, 10:33 PM
It'd be a great trip. Good tracks through there. I'd love to go but I have to buy a house. :( Stupid things I have to waste my weekends on.....

PeeBee
27th January 2017, 07:30 AM
It'd be a great trip. Good tracks through there. I'd love to go but I have to buy a house. :( Stupid things I have to waste my weekends on.....

No problem, see you 'out there' another time. I reckon there will be next to no traffic at all based on the last time we went up mid week, and the campsites are pretty clean as well, but wood is scarce, especially in the Caledonia River area.

happygu
27th January 2017, 08:59 AM
Have fun. That is one of the nicest areas of Vic in there ..... plenty of wood if you stop a kilometre or two from the camping areas - we usually pick some up on the way.

PeeBee
27th January 2017, 09:07 AM
Have fun. That is one of the nicest areas of Vic in there ..... plenty of wood if you stop a kilometre or two from the camping areas - we usually pick some up on the way.

Yeah, just nowhere to put it! We did grab a bit before heading down the switchbacks, but had an empty hilux with us, so that worked.

gubigfish
27th January 2017, 10:12 AM
Would be surprised if your allowed to have fires at this time of year. Over here its total fire bans all summer through to March-April

Bacho86
27th January 2017, 10:29 AM
I am heading into the Caledonia River Valley then out via Butcher Country on the dates above. Its a laid back trip, not a piss-fest, so if you are in the area or want to join us please let me know. Might even go in on the night of the 8th to make the drive more interesting. I am sure one night will include PIZZA's!

this sounds like a great trip, been back to that area a number of time over the years!!

Unfortunately Feb is out for me trips this year, I was planning on doing a trip there later in the year though hopefully

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PeeBee
27th January 2017, 10:58 AM
this sounds like a great trip, been back to that area a number of time over the years!!

Unfortunately Feb is out for me trips this year, I was planning on doing a trip there later in the year though hopefully

OK, if you have a vacancy on your trip, let me know!

PeeBee
27th January 2017, 11:00 AM
Would be surprised if your allowed to have fires at this time of year. Over here its total fire bans all summer through to March-April

If its a gaztted TFB, then no fires for sure. If not, its usually contained or smallish fires anyway.

PeeBee
28th January 2017, 05:43 AM
Now going in on the night of Wed Feb 8, coming out Sunday

mudski
28th January 2017, 11:10 PM
Now going in on the night of Wed Feb 8, coming out Sunday
Yeah thats plenty of time to explore around there. I'm kinda jealous. Have fun.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk

PeeBee
29th January 2017, 09:29 AM
Yeah thats plenty of time to explore around there. I'm kinda jealous. Have fun.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk

Mentally I am already there!!!!

AB
29th January 2017, 04:15 PM
Mentally I am already there!!!! I'm in desperate need of a break mate just chatting with Mark pending how work goes if you're ok with us two possibly coming along?

PeeBee
29th January 2017, 04:42 PM
I'm in desperate need of a break mate just chatting with Mark pending how work goes if you're ok with us two possibly coming along?

100% fine, look forward to it. Plenty of room down there!

AB
29th January 2017, 06:49 PM
100% fine, look forward to it. Plenty of room down there! Thanks mate well touch base next week as we have no idea what will unfold but hoping the planets align

PeeBee
29th January 2017, 11:11 PM
I have positioned all my fridge magnets to ensure the planets are aligned with the Caledonia River track, so you should be ok!

PeeBee
12th February 2017, 10:49 AM
Back from trip, this time without mechanical or electrical issue. Travelling with another patrol, owner got nervous about approaching wet weather, threw a spaz, so we pulled out of the area 2 days early, no happy. Anyway, weather was hot, mid 35's and sunny, tracks are cut up and not suitable for highway tyres or low hung vehicles. Plenty of challenges but it wet would be difficult and a handful.
Caledonia river valley empty when we got there and didn't see anyone else. Campsites all clean and clear of rubbish. Water was warm, measured 25 C, but flow is down.
Butcher country link track is cut up badly and would be difficult without mud tyres and high clearance. Many long uphill sections at high revs and low speed, radiator temp hit 100C at the top of one climb, but mostly sat at 75C on and 63c off, so happy with cooling capacity.
Butcher country valley also deserted, had a campsite on the river and spent the day drinking beer in a spa bath rock formation. Water temp 28 C.
Track out of valley to main road is steep, cut up, rutted and not recommended for low clearance vehicles or road tyres. It's a clay topped track and would be a nightmare if wet. Number of spots I had a wheel in the air and or bellied up due to the condition of the track, and that's on the uphill steep sections.
River was low, deepest crossing 750mm but most below hubs. Valley still has heaps of firewood but we refrained from fires because the area is tinder dry.
Waiting for some photos from the other guy, I am slack and don't take any, so will post later. Great little part of the world.

MB
12th February 2017, 03:07 PM
You gotta be happy with max 100C on the new Chev in 35C hot hill climbing Phil, reckon that's as good as they'll ever get mate!!

PeeBee
12th February 2017, 03:32 PM
You gotta be happy with max 100C on the new Chev in 35C hot hill climbing Phil, reckon that's as good as they'll ever get mate!!

I monitor temps into and out of the radiator. The max climb temp was 98C into radiator and 86C out of radiator. It hit 100C into radiator after i was sitting on the top of the longest climb waiting for the out guy to arrive, so 5 minutes heat soak . temps then dropped pretty quickly to 75-78 into rad and 63-65C out of radiator, once moving again so yes i am happy. Vehicle probably loaded to 3300kg at a guess. I have the radiator area totally clear of everything except the grill. Aircon was not on though.

MB
12th February 2017, 03:39 PM
That's gold mate, with those numbers reckon even with the aircon on you'd be lucky to hit 105C which is no real drama for a Chev under those conditions so happy days!!

MB
12th February 2017, 03:55 PM
Forgot to ask PBBIZ2 , any luck with the fish mate, water too warm maybe off the bite?

PeeBee
12th February 2017, 04:28 PM
Forgot to ask PBBIZ2 , any luck with the fish mate, water too warm maybe off the bite?

Saw multiple trout up to 30cm just lazing around/ . It was too hot to fish, just right for drinking beer, so you can guess which won out!

AB
12th February 2017, 04:39 PM
Very jealous Phil, Shame we couldn't make this trip but definitely next time!!

AB
12th February 2017, 04:39 PM
Any photos mate?

PeeBee
12th February 2017, 06:24 PM
Any photos mate?

guy with the photos is having trouble sending them to me, will try to sort out tomorrow.