PDA

View Full Version : PVC or Stainless for Snorkel.

DownUnder
14th July 2010, 05:09 PM
Hi everyone, new guy here.

I'm Tim, just have a quick question if anyone can help that would be great.

Looking at doing more harder stuff so need a snorkel.

my mate is trying to convince me to go stainless steel because PVC becomes brital.

I'm thinking of going PVC due to the flex and more resistant they are when bouncing around for the next X years.

What do you guys reccommend?

Sorry I couldnt find any answers on here so thought i would ask.

Cheers Tim.:confused:

DownUnder
14th July 2010, 05:11 PM
Also, another quick one.

Do you need to go and buy a new air filter cap only or do you need to actually fit a whole another air filter cannister.

Are there any DIYers who fill in the original hole themselves???

Thanks everyone

patch697
14th July 2010, 05:46 PM
Mate let me start by saying you are more than welcome to ask anything you like here, In Fact we encourage it.

Now as to your question:

It will largely come down to personal preference on the type of material used & both can have there good & bad points but to be honest with you the only beneficial difference I have found is cost???
Both at the end of the day done right (Built Properly) will work the same with no extra advantage in efficiency over the other IMO.

Cheers
Paul

patch697
14th July 2010, 05:56 PM
Also, another quick one.

Do you need to go and buy a new air filter cap only or do you need to actually fit a whole another air filter cannister.

Are there any DIYers who fill in the original hole themselves???

Thanks everyone

This again comes down to choice but the ones I have Built & others I have seen do not take the snorkel all the way down to the front of the guard like thay do with the Safari snorkels so you port in behind the shocker tower near the fire wall but this will largely all depend on your design as to how you go about this?

Maybe you could explain how you intend to run your snorkel & then we can take it from there & do our best to throw some ideas at you.

I hope this makes sense to you????

Cheers
Paul

DownUnder
21st July 2010, 09:55 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2010/07/3.gif
Just found this, can anyone confirm if this is the way to go???

Cheers for your help Paul.

tariadamar
28th October 2010, 05:44 PM
yeah i would have to agree with going a safari snorkel over the stainless. due to cost it is about the same if not cheaper for the proper snorkel. the reason people go stainless is if they have a car that they don't make a snorkel for.

Milik607
10th February 2011, 05:53 AM
A friend made from fiberglass snorkel, it is the cheapest option, time will add pics ...

bomber
12th February 2011, 12:04 AM
PVC is for below ground(due to a lack of ability to withstand UV rays) as mentioned and UPVC is designed to withstand UV rays a lot better.
As i work in mechanical engineering as a turner and welder, s/steal is very expensive and then the shaping/bending and then possible welding is an added cost.
Myself personally......buy a Safari snorkel or similar, unless of course you have a great contact who can buy, manufacture and install the snorkel for you at a cheap rate.

Bigrig
12th February 2011, 12:14 AM
PVC is for below ground(due to a lack of ability to withstand UV rays) as mentioned and UPVC is designed to withstand UV rays a lot better.
As i work in mechanical engineering as a turner and welder, s/steal is very expensive and then the shaping/bending and then possible welding is an added cost.
Myself personally......buy a Safari snorkel or similar, unless of course you have a great contact who can buy, manufacture and install the snorkel for you at a cheap rate.

What sort of price do the Millweld stainless snorkels go for? Is it that big a price difference?

bomber
12th February 2011, 12:28 AM
Myself i am not sure of costing for actual items as such, i just had a quick search and they can go for $500 with out fitting-$650+ for manufacture and fitting.
It is hard for me to give estimates as i am heavily involved in "heavy mechanical engineering"

gec
12th February 2011, 02:04 AM
Got this one made, cost me $130 for the pipe and bends and $35 for the 90 deg rubber bends, already had the top.

http://i327.photobucket.com/albums/k452/BeniMan_08/031.jpg

cheese
4th March 2011, 10:21 PM
go for the stainless mate, pvc wont hold up.