PDA

View Full Version : Easter 2011 -Mt Stirling - Cheshunt - Wonnangatta - Jamieson

billy3752
26th April 2011, 09:41 AM
Friday went from Mt Stirling to King River off Top Crossing, stayed at Sandy Flats. Guy in a new Land Rover asked if i was going to cross the river, I said "yeah, why not?" he said "it looks deep!"
I did a visual, (i know it's not the same as walking it) the water was so clear. and then drove across, water was upto the top of the tyres, and that was the deepest crossing of the 4 days.
Saturday had to go back to Cheshunt for a few forgotten supplies, via Lake William Hovell, then went through to Lake Cobbler, up Abbeyards Track, then into Wonnagatta via East Buffalo, West Humffray Rd, & Wonnagatta Track.
go into the Gatta at 3.45pm.
So many people in the main stretch, must have been at least 300.
Ended up camping on the Herne Spur track, after about 4 river crossings.
stayed all day sundya just kicking back, for once I didn't take fishing gear but actually could've used it. one guy drove into our site & had got 42 fish the day before.
left monday morning at 8am, back through Wonnangatta, up Zeka Spur track, which was in a real bad way, after 1.5 hrs up to Howwitt Plains.
turned right, then down Butcher Country track, again a challenging track. took 2 hrs.
at the bottom turned left down McCalister Track, onto Black Soil gully track to Bull Plains track.
turned right onto Middle Ridge Rd, should've gone left it would've taken me to Jamieson Licola Road sooner.
anyway thought going up McMillans Spur rrtrack would be a good idea, but was another 30 mins of climbing, loose dirt & rock, before coming out onto Jamieson Licola Rd.
from her we went through to Jamieson & Mansfield then home.
Did 800kms total, used about 110 litres of unleaded & at least 50 litres of LPG, from Mansfield to Mansfield.
will add pictures soon
Ray

Bob
26th April 2011, 09:55 AM
Good Trip. Pics should be good

billy3752
26th April 2011, 09:55 AM
cattle on Mt Stirling

King River, from Sandy Flat campsite

King River crossing on Top Crossing

Lake William Hovell

billy3752
26th April 2011, 09:59 AM
Lake Cobbler from opposite the campsites

Cobbler Hut

Closed Sign atg Junction of West Humffry & Wonnangatta track

sunday dinner at Herne Spur camp

katwoman
26th April 2011, 10:03 AM
Very nice. Looks a bit cold, tho.

billy3752
26th April 2011, 10:03 AM
top of Butcher Country track, seems to be muddy like this all year round

McCalister River crossing

Rock cave at above crossing

billy3752
26th April 2011, 10:04 AM
Very nice. Looks a bit cold, tho.

was 3 degrees in the mornings, first pic was friday, about 5 degrees on top of Mt Stirling, obviously a lot of fog, that was about lunch time.

Sir Roofy
26th April 2011, 10:06 AM
good write up good pics any more ?
so zeka is cut up pretty bad is it?where heading up that way in two weeks time maybe 3 have heard diferrent reports on it

billy3752
26th April 2011, 10:16 AM
Hi Roofy, Zeka was really rough, flood damaged. alot of dirt off the track exposing lots more rock. one hairpin had a giant hole (about 700mm) on the inside of hairpin, had to go really wide to get around it, would not like to fall into it.
of course there was plenty of trees down as well.
I only have A/T's, dropped tyres to 28psi when i got onto tracjk into MtCobbler. Didn't have a problem with traction at any time, didn't even engage diff lock.

Bob
26th April 2011, 10:18 AM
Great Pics

nowoolies
26th April 2011, 10:29 AM
great pic`s mate
that meal looks more like a feast

Sir Roofy
26th April 2011, 10:31 AM
Hi Roofy, Zeka was really rough, flood damaged. alot of dirt off the track exposing lots more rock. one hairpin had a giant hole (about 700mm) on the inside of hairpin, had to go really wide to get around it, would not like to fall into it.
of course there was plenty of trees down as well.
I only have A/T's, dropped tyres to 28psi when i got onto tracjk into MtCobbler. Didn't have a problem with traction at any time, didn't even engage diff lock.

thanks for that mate,proberly wont improve much inthe next few weeks

billy3752
26th April 2011, 10:32 AM
those potatoes were the best I ever had, cut in half & put in camp oven.

billy3752
26th April 2011, 10:38 AM
Sandy Flat
river looking upstream - to the left of our camp
crossing on King River
Lk Cobbler
the large camping area at Lake Cobbler
Mt Cobbler lookout, more impressive when you are there
Zeka Spur track, about 400m from the top, track is good there, about 4 times worse half way down
another one on Butcher Country track

Bob
26th April 2011, 11:28 AM
sandy flat
river looking upstream - to the left of our camp
crossing on king river
lk cobbler
the large camping area at lake cobbler
mt cobbler lookout, more impressive when you are there
zeka spur track, about 400m from the top, track is good there, about 4 times worse half way down
another one on butcher country track

makes me a bit envious mate as i was working over easter. Love the high country and thanks again for sharing your pics

Maxhead
26th April 2011, 01:28 PM
Just love the high country scenery. Nice pics and writeup....thanks

big_fletch
26th April 2011, 02:25 PM
Looks like it was a ripper trip mate, i love heading up that way..
Thanks for sharing the pics with us, awesome shots

NissanGQ4.2
26th April 2011, 03:40 PM
Great write up and pics, Wishing i was there now

Finly Owner
26th April 2011, 10:18 PM
Thanks for trip report

Tim

AB
27th April 2011, 07:41 PM
Ripper photos mate, thats my kind of area, love it up there!!!!

Johnny G
22nd May 2011, 01:05 PM
Brilliant Pics

billy3752
28th May 2011, 08:36 AM
pity it was only a phone camera, will have to get a "real" one soon

Bob
28th May 2011, 08:55 AM
It is a great spot to take Pics. Even good Camera's struggle to do the scenery up there justice.

Warnie
29th May 2011, 12:14 PM
Great work Bob, great pics mate. I am gonna head up that way over new years this year. Going up sterling for sure and also from Buller to the Bluff. Always wanted to camp on the Bluff looking back at Mt Buller. Instead of the other way around.

Woof
29th May 2011, 12:39 PM
Great photos and report there Ray, thanks for sharing your trip with us all, great looking country you have over there.

billy3752
30th May 2011, 08:49 PM
heading back that way for Queen's B'day weekend, can't wait. Will be a completely different trip in the wet, anticipating snow as well as rain.

Finly Owner
31st May 2011, 08:00 PM
nice pics too

Tim