PDA

View Full Version : Rear Lights hooked up to Reverse Lights Legal?

Mark
14th July 2010, 04:01 PM
Ive got the big spotties on the back of the cab for working out of the tray and reversing etc.

It's set up with a switch inside the cab but I want to hook it it up to the reverse lights as well.

Would this be legal, they're pretty bright but would be handy to just automatically come on when reversing with the big trailer, etc.

Might be an issue reversing in a shopping centre or in a built up area?

GU89
14th July 2010, 07:05 PM
Any good with wiring? Hook up a 3 way switch ie. on off on, make one 'on' a constant on regardless of ign or reverse, and the other 'on' switched through reverse cable coming from gearbox so lights turn on only when car is on and in reverse. and of course 'off' for completely switched off all the time.

Mark
14th July 2010, 07:12 PM
i'm no auto eleky but I can work it out.

That makes perfect sense, thanks for the tip.

Is it legal to have blow your eye balls out of their sockets and stun rabbits from 40 yard spotties hooked up to the reverse lights?

Maxhead
14th July 2010, 07:19 PM
The three way switch is a good idea. Flexibility.
I don't think it would be legal to just wire it through the reverse switch only.
I call it the "f**k off light" for when someone gets to close at night

patch697
14th July 2010, 07:38 PM
Here is some info I Have on the subject.

And ADR45, they are not called "Work Lights" they are called "Search Lamps". ADR13 actually restricts the fitment of a white light to the rear of the vehicle other than a reverse lamp so you have to refer to ADR45.

ADR1 is for the testing of the lamp itself (colour of light emitted, intensity ect), ADR13 is the fitment & operational requirements for all lamps fitted to motor vehicles.

Extract from ADR13:

5.10. No red light which could give rise to confusion shall be emitted from a
lamp as defined in paragraph 2.7. in a forward direction and no white
light which could give rise to confusion, other than from the reversing
lamp, shall be emitted from a lamp as defined in paragraph 2.7. in a
rearward direction. No account shall be taken of lighting devices fitted
for the interior lighting of the vehicle. In case of doubt, this requirement
shall be verified as follows:
5.10.1. For the visibility of red light towards the front of a vehicle, with the
exception of a red rearmost side-marker lamp, there must be no direct
visibility of the apparent surface of a red lamp if viewed by an observer
moving within Zone 1 as specified in Annex 4.
5.10.2. For the visibility of white light towards the rear of the vehicle, with the
exception of white conspicuity markings fitted to the vehicle, there must
be no direct visibility of the apparent surface of a white lamp if viewed
by an observer moving within Zone 2 in a transverse plane situated 25 m
behind the vehicle (see Annex 4);

I am not going to post this whole thing but this is the crux of this section of the rule.

Heavy vehicles with work lights actually certify them to ADR13 & 45 (they have search lamps on the mirrors or behind the cab) so there is no reason why you cant use that for the work lamp on the rear of a 4BY provided it isn't hooked up to the reverse lamp circuit.

I have mine wired separate from the reverse lights to comply within ADR guide lines & when asked I refer to it as a search light just as specified in the ADR.

I hope this helps

Cheers
Paul

Patrolling
14th July 2010, 08:51 PM
The three way switch is a good idea. Flexibility.
I don't think it would be legal to just wire it through the reverse switch only.
I call it the "f**k off light" for when someone gets to close at night

mmm...good idea, I like this F**k off light idea for tailgaters.

Very dangerous but very effective...lol

Woof
14th July 2010, 08:56 PM
I've got a 3 way switch on the "Q", really the only way to go.

patch697
14th July 2010, 09:11 PM
Simple anser is "No". But as others have said hook it up so you can disengage it (so it doesn't automatically illuminate when reverse is selected).

I wouldn't flick them on for tailgaters either. The potential consequences are too much for being tailgated from time to time. Just let them go by, bite your tongue and be happy that you get home safe without causing death or disfugurement (even if you think they deserve it at the time). An hour down the track you won't be so aggravated and you won't be getting summoned by the Coroner.

x2 Top post

Cheers
Paul

Mark
15th July 2010, 03:24 PM
Cheers for all your help guys!

Thought it wouldnt be legal doing it that way but the three way switch sounds the go.

Finly Owner
29th July 2010, 11:29 PM
I do have a hand held search light for the bloke who has forgotten he has all driving lights on behind me.

patch697
31st July 2010, 10:54 AM
I do have a hand held search light for the bloke who has forgotten he has all driving lights on behind me.

Tut Tut Tut..............????? You mean you have a hand held search light for seeing behind you & letting other know your there.................lol

Finly Owner
2nd August 2010, 09:22 PM
Tut Tut Tut..............????? You mean you have a hand held search light for seeing behind you & letting other know your there.................lol

Yeah that must be it!