PDA

View Full Version : Waeco cfx95

damian.thomas
30th December 2016, 11:29 PM
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has used or know anything about the Waeco cfx95. I am about to purchase one and I wanted to know some real life figures on usage, I also would like to know how well it fits in the back of a gq.

Thanks in advance Damo

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Clunk
31st December 2016, 12:33 AM
All I know is , they're huge...... almost a metre long...... Will be bloody heavy too when loaded up..... My CFX50 is heavy enough lol

MudRunnerTD
31st December 2016, 12:42 AM
That's a Big Fridge!!!

I'd be giving that some serious thought! Why do you need a 95lt fridge?

A 45lt is a very good size for touring and a family can live out of it comfortably.

I have a 80lt Waeco and a 45lt engel. The engel gets the usage. I'm away and base camping at the moment and I have both fridges with me as much behave a powered site and have the camper. This'll the first time my 80lt Waeco has been used in 5 years!! I am so sing the 45lt engel as a drinks fridge for the first time ever.

Winnie
31st December 2016, 05:55 AM
That's a Big Fridge!!!

I'd be giving that some serious thought! Why do you need a 95lt fridge?

A 45lt is a very good size for touring and a family can live out of it comfortably.

I have a 80lt Waeco and a 45lt engel. The engel gets the usage. I'm away and base camping at the moment and I have both fridges with me as much behave a powered site and have the camper. This'll the first time my 80lt Waeco has been used in 5 years!! I am so sing the 45lt engel as a drinks fridge for the first time ever.
You must have opened the Engel a few times last night because your English is atrocious dude! Lol

Hodge
31st December 2016, 07:21 AM
Are you talking about the DZ one? When we go away with a workmate who owns my old Patrol he takes his Waeco away. His is 95L dual zone. I don't know it's real life amparage figures but...
His car has a 105AH second battery and with the fridge running full time + camping lights, it lasts 3-4 days. Despite their size, I don't think they pull much.
His concern is not the amp usage, but the space usage in the rear of the GU. They are a big unit.

MB
31st December 2016, 08:35 AM
We've got one of the old Waeco 80s F/F and even that's too big I reckon for the back of our GU wagon. Being that the older ones also didn't have a freezer lid I reckon I could run at least two of the 50s or 60s for less power usage. Not sure about the new dual zones power usage but ours has to be set on -11 degrees to keep stuff frozen one side and drinks cold other side. Whereas my utes 60L sits nicely on say 1 degree. Reckon two smaller fridges would be ideal, one tiny one for freezer opened only once a day and other for fridge. AB took my 60 and his 60 across the Simpson solo and kept one in the back seat floor I think, said it worked a treat!

bazzaboy
31st December 2016, 09:00 AM
I find that by using two new plastic 38lt Engels, one as a freezer, one as a fridge, and a "thick-walled" Techniice box for only soft drinks & beers, works well for longer periods. I've found that you can usually pick up ice somewhere on your travels.

MB
31st December 2016, 09:20 AM
I find that by using two new plastic 38lt Engels, one as a freezer, one as a fridge, and a "thick-walled" Techniice box for only soft drinks & beers, works well for longer periods. I've found that you can usually pick up ice somewhere on your travels.
G'day Bazza, nice setup. Yeah I think AB was actually freezing ice block packs atop of his frozen food goods during the long days driving with alternator across the Simmo. Then in the arvos would transfer the ice packs into a small esky ready for nightly brews next to his chair and to take the load off the battery again overnight. I've done similar for extended fishing stays up on the Murray making ice in a stationary Trailblazer with 2 x 120watt panels ready for loading the boat esky on next days outings and so on.

damian.thomas
31st December 2016, 01:02 PM
Thanks for the replys.

I have seen the unit and it is pretty big, was only thinking it would get me and the family up the bush for 1-2 weeks with out having to leave camp and restock.

I haven't done any long trips yet so not really sure what fridge I would be after, second choice was the cfx65 dual zone waeco thoughts on that fridge?

Last question attached below are photos of my battery only have one, is it alright to run off that by itself with a solar panel to charge it or should I just get dual battery system.

Thanks again guys

damian.thomas
31st December 2016, 01:03 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/12/311.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/12/312.jpg

threedogs
31st December 2016, 02:47 PM
My 85ltr Baileys ice box holds 96 cans and ice once full you cant lift it/
this is just for comparison against a 95 ltr. It would fill the cargo area
imo leaving little room for extras damian.thomas what are your fridge requirement.
I take a 40 Engel for food and eskies for cool drinks
my icebox would have to be the most efficient icebox I know
I have added insulation its awesome cost me $390 back in '93
love it
If you dont have an AUX battery then a 100ah battery pack may be the go
Try not to use your start battery, a battery pack and a solar panel may be the go

MB
31st December 2016, 04:34 PM
A battery pack and or just a descent deep cycle battery to take along is a great idea I reckon John mate. I do agree with John Damian in regards to best not use your only lead acid cranking battery on your upcoming extended stay. Just an idea but for now you could buy say a good type Optima yellow or blue top AGM battery and an AGM suited solar panel setup to charge for this quick trip. Thereafter you could install the same battery properly in the truck with a good system like Redarc or the like for next time.
Happy and safe travels mate, enjoy :-) !

MB
31st December 2016, 09:16 PM
Almost forgot Damian mate!
Having a freezer wether that be a dual zone or in my new found opinion being seperate systems are best and are all great technology to embrace mate.
Happy New Year 2016/17 mate, my kids and I'll be fighting over these frozen little lifesavers in the morning;-)
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/12/313.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

damian.thomas
31st December 2016, 10:48 PM
Thanks for all the replys guys

I did a bit of research and have read that the 65lt is run off the freezer and from the reviews I have read they are really shit.

I have decided on the 95 due to of money restrictions, they run off separate systems and the fact they are $500 off at anaconda atm, ideally I like the idea of two but can't have everything.

I will be buying a deep cycle battery to run off a solar panel until I get a dual battery system.

Thank you for all the help everyone and happy new year!!

threedogs
1st January 2017, 02:59 PM
Remember to that a half empty fridge will cycle more than a full fridge.
Take some empty wine bladders and fill with water to fill the void.

damian.thomas
1st January 2017, 08:53 PM
Didn't know that, thanks three dogs

Patrol-Guy
2nd January 2017, 10:18 AM
I bought a 95ltr DZ when they were on special for like $300 off. Regretted it after finding it didn't fit in the camper. But it fits magically in the back of the GU Patrol. Took it all the way to the Cape and back without a problem. Turned out to be one of the best investments I have made. I have a 60ltr in the camper and that was all fridge for the butter, milk, bread, sauces etc and the 95 was half fridge half freezer. The fridge part held the alcoholic beverages and the freezer the frozen meals we had prepared earlier.

My advice is if you can afford it and you have the room it is a very very good item for a trip. Went to Grafton for Christmas and wasn't going to take it cause I have the 65 also but glad I did. So much room and no trying to stuff things in.

I'm happy I bought mine for sure.

threedogs
2nd January 2017, 01:46 PM

do those tehni ice eskies have 3 in 1 foam as an insulation, if not
Id be cutting some circles in the base so you can fill with expanda foam or similar.
Ive done that to a few eskies over the years, makes them much more efficient, lol