PDA

View Full Version : Engine/ driveline vibration

snake1978
25th April 2011, 11:37 AM
Hi
ive just got a patrol and am just in process of getting it to be running how i want it to
ive noticed just off idle , mostly 1st and 2nd, when u take off theres like a rattle, vibration, like a loose chain or something.. is this common,
if i let clutch out and let it idle along at walking pace u can hear the noise, but once u get it revving it stops
any help appreciated. im not mechanically mined, so when i ring mechanic id like a general idea what im asking him to fix

TuffTD42
25th April 2011, 04:08 PM
Thats a normal nissan patrol growl. All the TD42 diesel patrols I,ve owned done it. Don't think the petrols done it. One mechanic said to me 12 years ago it was just drive line shunt. pretty much just a diesel thing, a lot of the trucks i drive do the same thing. I too thought there might have been an issue when I first drove my first TD42. My mate not long ago bought a mavey with the TD42 & he too kept asking me to check it out. I have read blokes reckon it's anything from the gearbox to transfer case being chain driven to clutch. Nothing to worry about just enjoy your rig.

cheers Jono.

snake1978
25th April 2011, 05:03 PM
cool thanks

snake1978
2nd May 2011, 04:33 PM
ok so the tyre guy said the problem was in the tyres, even though they have about 90% tread

took it to a 4x4 mechanic and he said its the tyres worn uneven, apparently it only take 12-15hrs driving to set an uneven wear on a tyre?
he said shocks are dead and so is damper, they look standard so probably as old as the car. what this does is cause the tyres not to sit right ( sorta pidgeon toed) making them wear and start a wobble

he said do suspension and damper asap and tyres should correct themselves

does all this sound right??

a mate told me some 89-93 patrols actually had a factory error where the shocks or something were offset 4mm and this caused a steering wobble

any help?

YNOT
2nd May 2011, 04:37 PM
You may have 2 seperate issues. TD42's especially the earlier silver top engines have an inherent coarseness just off idle, tyres will never fix that.

Tony

snake1978
2nd May 2011, 05:22 PM
duh, lol sorry, engine noise and wobble are 2 different things, ill repost this as a question about steering wobble

sorry

YNOT
2nd May 2011, 06:44 PM
All good mate.

Tony