PDA

View Full Version : Cummins diesel from an Dodge pickup in a 2000 model Patrol?

geysir
25th April 2011, 09:05 AM
Has anyone done a conversion, putting a Cummings diesel engine in a diesel Patrol?
His Patrol has broken down ZD30 motor and has been offered a Cummings powered pickup for cheap and is thinking about putting that motor in.

Anyone thinks this a good idea?

YNOT
25th April 2011, 07:09 PM
I have seen photos somewhere of someone in Australia who has done a Cummins conversion but I don't have any details of how it was done. One thing I do remember reading is that the Cummins is considerably heavier than any of the Patrol engines so you will need heavy duty springs to compensate.
I think dropping the Cummins engine in is a great idea and would really like to see a build up thread if you go ahead with it.

Tony

growler2058
25th April 2011, 07:12 PM
I think dropping the Cummins engine in is a great idea and would really like to see a build up thread if you go ahead with it.

Tony[/QUOTE]

X2

rotory26
31st May 2011, 11:13 PM
Yes I have done the 24 valve 6bt 2001 Cummins install but not in a Patrol. I am 57 years old and was feed up with all the junk engines. I have owned a WB Holden Overlander for about 20 years and with the Cummins sitting in there now could not be more happy. These things are all grunt run really cool, not like the 6.5 chev I had. Dial up 125hp on top of what you have stock while you drive down the road.

growler2058
1st June 2011, 06:23 AM
Gday mate welcome aboard! The overlanders origionally came with a 308ci didnt they?? That sounds like it'd be a very tuff ol holden mate

YNOT
1st June 2011, 06:57 AM
Yes I have done the 24 valve 6bt 2001 Cummins install but not in a Patrol. I am 57 years old and was feed up with all the junk engines. I have owned a WB Holden Overlander for about 20 years and with the Cummins sitting in there now could not be more happy. These things are all grunt run really cool, not like the 6.5 chev I had. Dial up 125hp on top of what you have stock while you drive down the road.

Welcome to the forum. Photo's please...........

Tony

rotory26
1st June 2011, 11:17 PM
Yes, Arther Hayward from Tassy built them and thats were I bought all the running gear. Re Engines, I had 400 s/b first, no good. Hungry on fuel. 327 s/b lived in the van for most of the original vans life. The first WB had its time so I was able to find a nice, one owner, no rust. Put a 6.5 chev diesel in it, but no guts and run hot unless you know a few tricks and then 250h/p cranks on the ground. Towed back from SharkBay one year and that was enough. So vp44 pumped 2001 Dodge Cummins Turbo Diesel 235 hp 2800rpm 460 F/P at 1600 standed. Went with Edge tuner extra 120 h/p and 300 F/P over and above standed. NV 4500 5 Speed Lomax 205 3/1 transfer case 14 bolt 3.42 chev diff, ARB locker, exhaust brake, snow water/meth injection, and 8 piston SSBC front calipers. Ha Tony send me your mobile # and i will send you some photos. Are yes and 260 litres of fuel.

growler2058
2nd June 2011, 06:16 AM
Yes, Arther Hayward from Tassy built them and thats were I bought all the running gear. Re Engines, I had 400 s/b first, no good. Hungry on fuel. 327 s/b lived in the van for most of the original vans life. The first WB had its time so I was able to find a nice, one owner, no rust. Put a 6.5 chev diesel in it, but no guts and run hot unless you know a few tricks and then 250h/p cranks on the ground. Towed back from SharkBay one year and that was enough. So vp44 pumped 2001 Dodge Cummins Turbo Diesel 235 hp 2800rpm 460 F/P at 1600 standed. Went with Edge tuner extra 120 h/p and 300 F/P over and above standed. NV 4500 5 Speed Lomax 205 3/1 transfer case 14 bolt 3.42 chev diff, ARB locker, exhaust brake, snow water/meth injection, and 8 piston SSBC front calipers. Ha Tony send me your mobile # and i will send you some photos. Are yes and 260 litres of fuel.
Can ya chuck some happy snaps up here for us to check out........please

YNOT
2nd June 2011, 06:21 AM
Can ya chuck some happy snaps up here for us to check out........please

Exactly. I'm sure there's a lot of people would like to see those photo's.
How did you go with the weight of the Cummins diesel?

Tony

rotory26
2nd June 2011, 12:30 PM
One problem, I have been able to get the photos to photo bucket but thats as far as I got. LOL. That is why I asked for your mobile or if you want send me your email address re private messages, and I will send them there. Front springs were HJ75 standed leaf springs. Engine weights 1000 lbs and with the ride hight i need works good.

AB
2nd June 2011, 12:44 PM
Hi mate, if you got the photos to photo bucket then youve already done the hard part.

Just right click your mouse over the image in photobucket and copy the URL....Now click the http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/editor/insertimage.png symbol on this forum and paste the address here which will put up the image on your reply/post.

Let us know if you need more help mate.

rotory26
2nd June 2011, 04:36 PM
You are really putting me under the pump AB. I have one photo up at photo bucket but to make sence of it all i need to get a lot more over there. Charging camera battery as we speak. Also still trying to get this cut and paste bisso worked out. AB what is your email address. I can load them to my comp and send them to you and you can load them. Much easer for me.

AB
2nd June 2011, 04:57 PM
no worries mate, info@nissanpatrol.com.au

Gotta take some firewood up to a camp spot soon for the weekend so will try and get them on here late tonight for you.

rotory26
2nd June 2011, 07:21 PM
Ha guys see if this workes

rotory26
2nd June 2011, 07:25 PM
Try again with the photobucket

YNOT
2nd June 2011, 07:29 PM
You need the code that starts and finishes with "img", copy that into your post.

Tony

rotory26
2nd June 2011, 08:24 PM
Try again

http://s882.photobucket.com/albums/ac25/rotory26/

growler2058
2nd June 2011, 08:31 PM
Yep I'm gettin the link to the foters
You've got urself a classic piece of Australian motoring history mate. I read the write up in Australian muscle car mag a while back I'd love to have one

rotory26
2nd June 2011, 08:33 PM
Well they say you have to learn something new every day. I hope you guys like what you see, because in the end I had to call my comp geck to help me out. LOL.

YNOT
2nd June 2011, 09:17 PM
http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac25/rotory26/P1000301-1.jpg

http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac25/rotory26/P1000281.jpg

http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac25/rotory26/P1000291.jpg

Finly Owner
2nd June 2011, 09:22 PM
interesting, but where's the patrol parts?

Tim

YNOT
2nd June 2011, 09:22 PM
http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac25/rotory26/calipers004.jpg

http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac25/rotory26/P1000292.jpg

http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac25/rotory26/P1000290.jpg

If you move your cursor over the images in your photobucket account it brings up a box with the share/copy options, just click on the bottom one (IMG code) and it will say 'copied', right click and 'paste' the code into your post. That's all I've done to get your photo's here.

Tony

YNOT
2nd June 2011, 09:28 PM
interesting, but where's the patrol parts?

Tim

Err......umm.......I don't think there is any! He was trying to help with the Cummins conversion question and we (I started it) asked for photo's. Nothing really to do with Patrols but interesting all the same. Mmmmm, Cummins diesel power with big truck reliabillity.

Tony

Finly Owner
2nd June 2011, 09:40 PM
Well I was thinking neat holden conversion, looks real nice. So many of these look ridiculous!

Tim

YNOT
2nd June 2011, 09:41 PM

Very interesting.

1, Are the gearbox and transfer from the same Dodge that donated the engine?
2, Is it intercooled, if so do you have photo's?
3, 12 or 24 volt engine?
4, What Chev are the diffs out of?
5, How is the fuel economy?
6, How good does it sound, does it have mufflers?

Sorry about all the questions but conversions like this really catch my interest.

Tony

rotory26
2nd June 2011, 09:58 PM
Tell him to buy it, specially if its a manual 5speed.

YNOT
2nd June 2011, 10:06 PM
Tell him to buy it, specially if its a manual 5speed.

Quick forum tip for you rotary26, if you click on "reply with quote" instead of just "reply" people can see what post you are replying to. No harm done and I'm really liking your conversion if you hadn't already guessed.

Tony

rotory26
2nd June 2011, 10:19 PM
Very interesting.

3, 12 or 24 volt engine?

Sorry about all the questions but conversions like this really catch my interest.

Tony

email me AT mazda26@bigpond.com.au

YNOT
2nd June 2011, 10:24 PM
email me AT mazda26@bigpond.com.au

I see you've got the reply with quote sorted now, good stuff.

I'll email you soon.

Tony

YNOT
3rd June 2011, 07:15 AM
Cummins engine in a GU Patrol. The motor is a stationary motor purchased direct from Cummins brand new.
Was destined for a drill rig or stationary pump. At last count it had blown up a clutch, gearbox and 2 rear lockers.

Tony

Silver
3rd June 2011, 08:22 AM
Try again

http://s882.photobucket.com/albums/ac25/rotory26/

thanks for that - the link works for me. Looks very tidy!

growler2058
3rd June 2011, 08:56 AM
Cummins engine in a GU Patrol. The motor is a stationary motor purchased direct from Cummins brand new.
Was destined for a drill rig or stationary pump. At last count it had blown up a clutch, gearbox and 2 rear lockers.

Tony
Bloody hell what sort of neddies do they put out???? and torque

rotory26
3rd June 2011, 09:53 PM
Bloody hell what sort of neddies do they put out???? and torque

2001= 235/245 HP Torque 460/500 foot/ pound at 1600rpm
04.5-07 325 HP Torque 600 F/P
07-09 360 HP Torque 680 F/P
And with a bit of luck the one being released in JULY 400 HP Torque undisclosed over 800 F/P at 1600 rpm.
Then you add a good tuner like EDGE CTS and that will add 120 HP 380 F/P of torque. After all that you realize that in Australia we get treated like kindergarden kids, unable to drive a vechile which will pull anything with out trouble, be reliable, run cool, with good fuel milege.

growler2058
4th June 2011, 05:20 AM
2001= 235/245 HP Torque 460/500 foot/ pound at 1600rpm
04.5-07 325 HP Torque 600 F/P
07-09 360 HP Torque 680 F/P
And with a bit of luck the one being released in JULY 400 HP Torque undisclosed over 800 F/P at 1600 rpm.
Then you add a good tuner like EDGE CTS and that will add 120 HP 380 F/P of torque. After all that you realize that in Australia we get treated like kindergarden kids, unable to drive a vechile which will pull anything with out trouble, be reliable, run cool, with good fuel milege.

I WANT 1!!!!! Next question where to source 1 and what to exPect to pay?? Takin a trip to eBay and google

growler2058
4th June 2011, 10:00 AM
Well I was thinking neat holden conversion, looks real nice. So many of these look ridiculous!

Tim

These actually were basically a new car and from what I gather as rare as rocking horse poop. Similar in the way a HSV is no longer a commonhore

rotory26
4th June 2011, 03:46 PM
Very interesting.

3, 12 or 24 volt engine?

Tony

Gear boxs fit Chev 1 1/8 input Dodge v10 / Cummins 1 1/4 input Hotrod cummins 1 3/8 input shaft. Google Lomax 205 will bolt straight up to the chevy one.
Intercooled yes F250
12 volt system
I think C20 in the states they are everwhere, cheap, single wheel or dual wheel depends on what track you want. Ratios can be a problem 3.42 3.72 and up.
Towing north with 6.5 chev over the same ground pulling the same weight 160 litres. Cummins did the same using 105 litres an ran the hills at 102 kph at 1900. At that time I only had 1900rpm to work with.
4inch straight though muffler, sound is mint specialy when on boost with the Turbo singing.

rotory26
4th June 2011, 05:53 PM
Very interesting.

3, 12 or 24 volt engine?

Tony

There you go Tony, some more photos of intercooler pipe work and intercooler.

growler2058
4th June 2011, 06:07 PM
There you go Tony, some more photos of intercooler pipe work and intercooler.
cant see the foters mate

rotory26
5th June 2011, 11:38 PM
cant see the foters mate

Yes they are there. Click on VEIW all. There are 21 photos.

the godfather
18th August 2011, 11:55 PM
I just came across this thread. I have been discussing dropping a Cummins in a Patrol at work with a mate. Apparently there is a few getting around in Geraldton (WA) with the small Cummins in them. I am very interested to see one. They are supposedly a better and more reliable motor than the 6.5 that people usually convert to.

rotory26
21st August 2011, 05:42 PM
I just came across this thread. I have been discussing dropping a Cummins in a Patrol at work with a mate. Apparently there is a few getting around in Geraldton (WA) with the small Cummins in them. I am very interested to see one. They are supposedly a better and more reliable motor than the 6.5 that people usually convert to.
Dont go anywere near a 6.5 Chev. They would have to be the worst engine I have ever had. Towed 3500kg fully inclosed car trailer to SharkBay mid July at 108kph in overdrive uphills and down didnt matter. Speed didnt drop, Water temps never moved from 1/4 on the gauge. Used 90 liters from Mandurah to 440 road house Drumins Cove Geralton. Just the best coversion i have done. Torque is unreal.

Silver
21st August 2011, 06:37 PM
Dont go anywere near a 6.5 Chev. They would have to be the worst engine I have ever had. Towed 3500kg fully inclosed car trailer to SharkBay mid July at 108kph in overdrive uphills and down didnt matter. Speed didnt drop, Water temps never moved from 1/4 on the gauge. Used 90 liters from Mandurah to 440 road house Drumins Cove Geralton. Just the best coversion i have done. Torque is unreal.

bit confused, hard to pick up irony etc on the net?

josh b
26th November 2011, 08:14 PM
the patrol that you are talking about did not do what you have posted, the clutch was the only thing that didn't work to start with but was only upgraded the gearbox was the nissan 5th gear fault on the early gu patrol were the gear was not fully splined the diff was a fault with the locker and was repaired under warrenty if you need any other info about the conversion let me know

YNOT
26th November 2011, 08:25 PM
the patrol that you are talking about did not do what you have posted, the clutch was the only thing that didn't work to start with but was only upgraded the gearbox was the nissan 5th gear fault on the early gu patrol were the gear was not fully splined the diff was a fault with the locker and was repaired under warrenty if you need any other info about the conversion let me know

Welcome to the forum Josh, any information you can provide would be apprecieated.
I was reporting what I had read on another forum as I don't personally know the vehicle or the owner.

Tony

josh b
26th November 2011, 08:40 PM
Thanks Tony

anything you need to know i can help you out with as i was the one that fitted it to the patrol i have done others since and have changed the fit up abit ie, air filters snorkels radaitor for easy fit up i am doin a 24v elec 2 a gu now.

josh

YNOT
26th November 2011, 10:15 PM

I have to admit I was a bit surprised when I read elsewhere that the vehicle had destroyed a number of diffs, that just didn't add up to me. If Heath Lawson can drag race a 600plus HP modified Duramax powered GU and not break diffs how the hell was a standard (no mention of power up mods) Cummins breaking them?

Some questions to satisfy my own curiosity,

1) How did you adapt the Cummins to the Nissan gearbox, is there an off the shelf adaptor or was it custom made?
2) How much heavier is the Cummins, did the suspension need much modification?
3) How does the performance compare to the standard Nissan diesel?
4) Is the Cummins standard or do they respond well to modifications? It looks to me (correct me if I'm wrong - I often am) like more of a work horse mod which you would keep standard for ultimate reliabillity.
5) Do you have any more photo's?

Tony

josh b
2nd December 2011, 09:25 PM
I have to admit I was a bit surprised when I read elsewhere that the vehicle had destroyed a number of diffs, that just didn't add up to me. If Heath Lawson can drag race a 600plus HP modified Duramax powered GU and not break diffs how the hell was a standard (no mention of power up mods) Cummins breaking them?

Some questions to satisfy my own curiosity,

1) How did you adapt the Cummins to the Nissan gearbox, is there an off the shelf adaptor or was it custom made?
2) How much heavier is the Cummins, did the suspension need much modification?
3) How does the performance compare to the standard Nissan diesel?
4) Is the Cummins standard or do they respond well to modifications? It looks to me (correct me if I'm wrong - I often am) like more of a work horse mod which you would keep standard for ultimate reliabillity.
5) Do you have any more photo's?

Tony

The cummins engine is adapted with a custom adapter that I make up
The engine is a bit heaver, just a upgrade with spring worked fine
The engine are standard but able to play with, you can a get a lot of power out of the cummins but the the car would not stand up to it
I have more photos and will try and put them up
Are you interested in a conversion?

canuck
4th December 2011, 02:04 AM
Hi Josh. I am very interested in this and would like to see a Cummins swap thread if you have the time. I know a guy who has done a number of Cummins swaps int Fj40s using Portal axles. These engines are fairly easy to find here in Canada. The extra power and torque aside, they also get exceptional fuel economy.

Oka374
14th December 2011, 09:48 PM
They cummins can be pretty pricey here in Oz, plenty of them in the US where they fit them to all sorts of different vehicles. Also very reliable and can be modded to produce good economy with heaps of power.

bushwaker
14th August 2013, 01:26 AM
Howdy Josh B.

I m trying to get any info on the cummins (6BT1) conversion into a Patrol.
Can you supply me with some info on how to contact you mate.

MEGOMONSTER
14th August 2013, 06:46 AM
Howdy Josh B.

I m trying to get any info on the cummins (6BT1) conversion into a Patrol.
Can you supply me with some info on how to contact you mate.

I'm not sure if Josh B is still around, as his last post was in December 2011. You could try personal message him by clicking on his name/avatar, then click personal message.

But as said above, Marks adapters may be able to help.

bushwaker
15th August 2013, 06:54 AM
Thanks for the info mate.

Bogmeister
25th October 2014, 12:47 PM
Killa kustom kables are working on a conversion for the Patrol now.

Extrimal D
11th December 2014, 01:07 AM
In Moscow now put the engine from Chevrolet.

rusty_nail
11th December 2014, 10:47 AM
In Moscow now put the engine from Chevrolet.

??????????????

growler2058
11th December 2014, 07:58 PM
Think he was referring to chev diesel v8 mate. But now he's got the manuals we'll probably never know

OAK PATROL 88
6th May 2015, 04:55 PM
Hi Josh,
I am very interested in doing a cummins 4bt Auto conversion into a gu patrol.
I like the economy and torque from the 4 cylinder. and will leave space in bay for dual batteries etc.
any and all tech info and pics you can help with would be awesome.

thanks mate.

Thanks Tony

anything you need to know i can help you out with as i was the one that fitted it to the patrol i have done others since and have changed the fit up abit ie, air filters snorkels radaitor for easy fit up i am doin a 24v elec 2 a gu now.

josh

Danie
16th July 2015, 07:49 PM
Any progress or updates on the Patrol- 6BT conversions?

I'm living in South Africa and we find it hard to get Patrol parts, even from Nissan. I also think the 6BT or even 4BT is the way to go.

Woof
16th July 2015, 08:08 PM
Any progress or updates on the Patrol- 6BT conversions?

I'm living in South Africa and we find it hard to get Patrol parts, even from Nissan. I also think the 6BT or even 4BT is the way to go.

Hey mate, can you head over to the introduction section and post up an introduction as it is something that we request all new members to do.
Just go here http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/forumdisplay.php?2-Introductions

Stropp
17th July 2015, 12:25 AM
Also this thread has been dead for some time, you may want to message the person concerned about progress.