PDA

View Full Version : Tb45 fuel economy

Josh mcgregor
3rd December 2016, 07:25 AM
Hey.
Just bought my first nissan patrol(98 GU petrol) and enjoying getting off road, as it is a big car and big motor it uses abit of fuel.
Would an exhaust and tune help and be worth while mod to save fuel and help it run better? Or any other mods that will help. It is stock standard atm.

Cheers josh

threedogs
3rd December 2016, 08:00 AM
Hi Josh and welcome to the forum, a bigger exhaust
and tune would definitely improve your fuel figures.
MODS will need to put this post in the correct section.
In the meantime pop over to the introductions and say hello
just something the forum asks of us all

jff45
3rd December 2016, 08:17 AM
Hey.
Just bought my first nissan patrol(98 GU petrol) and enjoying getting off road, as it is a big car and big motor it uses abit of fuel.
Would an exhaust and tune help and be worth while mod to save fuel and help it run better? Or any other mods that will help. It is stock standard atm.

Cheers josh

Josh, if it's stock standard, you'll be pushing the pedal to the floor a lot to get it to move in an acceptable manner and that sucks juice.
They respond better when they breathe better. Good extractors, 2.5" or 2.75" (no point in going bigger) exhaust system and run it on 98 octane with 8 to 10 degrees advance makes a good difference.
The fuel usage won't change much however because you won't resist the temptation to let it rev out..
Mine returned an average of 20-21 lts/100 in the 8 years that I had the 4.5 engine.

Don't be conned into a dyno tune, there's nothing that can be tuned in the TB45E ECU. Just get all the stock adjustments like valve clearance, etc spot on. Only advance it more than factory if you consistently run 98 fuel.