PDA

View Full Version : 75 Patrol Not starting

gotkeith
24th April 2011, 07:37 PM
Hey gang,

Well - first of all i have a 75 patrol which is running a 6cyl motor ( not original ) and has been converted to gas.

I've got a first starting issues with it, and it simply won't 'spark' - it will turn over till the cows come home but just wont fire.

Now, i've checked all the gas line and the fuel lines etc, and it is getting plenty of juice - no whether or not that is getting through the carb, the solidnoid is rooted or etc, i'm not sure.

It feels like an electrical problem because 'start ya bastard' won't get it going either.

Then magically, about 1 out of 5 times, she fires no problems at all!

Any help to fix this would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

the ferret
24th April 2011, 07:53 PM
Check that the points are not shorting out on the base plate in the dizzy, If the water level in the radiator is low, the gas will freeze.
make sure the little spring loaded carbon rod in the inside/top of dizzy cap is in contact with the top of the rotor button, check coil leads, check points gap, try another condensor and or coil.
Try a hot wire from battery to coil.

gotkeith
25th April 2011, 04:43 PM
Holy hell - That's a fair fw things i will have to try! Thanks a heap for that - that's great.

I'm not sure what some of it is - ( like how to hot wire from the battery to the coil ) but ill have a poke around and see how i go.

Can i pull the dizzy apart to look at it? How do i check for the spring in the bottom of it?

the ferret
25th April 2011, 05:11 PM
The little carbon pin is at the top inside the dizzy cap at the centre, If it's in contact with the rotor button, the contact face will be shiny. Don't pull too hard on the pin as it can pull out, but you can stretch the spring a little. Make sure the points are opening and closing, check the gap. Don't worry about the hotwire at this stage.
You need to find out if there is spark at the plugs. Pull a plug, connect the lead, hold the metal part of the plug against the engine block and turn the motor over with ignition on, make sure it's out of gear and/or pull the other plug leads off but not the central coil lead.

Bob
25th April 2011, 06:17 PM
If your Motor has been converted to Gas I am fairly sure that your automatic choke has been disabled. Turn to Gas and turn on ignition and wait for 10/15 seconds and then try to start.

gotkeith
25th April 2011, 07:19 PM
Thanks Bob and Ferret.

So today - it starts 3 out of 3 times?! Go figure!
It has a manual choke Bob - so i don't know if that effects the starting or not, but sometimes it starts with it in and sometimes it starts with it out.....
Ferret - i will have a good look tomorrow at the distributor and plugs and see if i can get spark!

Cheers fellas.

the ferret
25th April 2011, 07:45 PM
Yeah, Might help if we know what make of motor has been fitted, if you have any idea.

gotkeith
25th April 2011, 08:37 PM
Just done some research, and it is a ford/ falcon 3.3 litre straight 6.

Found this on Wikipedia about it:

So, the Cologne 2.8L V6 was dropped from the engine lineup in the middle of the 1979 production year and replaced with the 200cid Falcon inline six, which was now referred to as the 3.3L engine. The engine and front suspension K-member was transferred from the Fairmont model which helped reduce costs instead of having to redesign the Mustang for a different engine.
The 200 was used in the Ford Maverick and Mercury Comet models, and continued in the Ford Fairmont and Mercury Zephyr until the Fairmont and Zephyr models were retired at the end of the 1983 model year and replaced with the Ford Tempo and Mercury Topaz.

the ferret
25th April 2011, 08:57 PM
The Futura 200, good motor as long as you didn't use it!!.I had a mate who put the SD33t and gearbox in his, it was a great truck.
The 200 Ford persuit motor had a simple ignition system, so shouldn't be hard to track down the problem.

Yendor
25th April 2011, 09:25 PM
I would also check the voltage at that positive side of coil while cranking the vehicle.

Just to make sure there is no voltage drop to the coil and if there is a ballast resistor fitted to make sure the bypass circuit is wired up and the coil is receiving the full 12 volts while cranking.

Also is your starting battery in good condition?

gotkeith
25th April 2011, 11:13 PM
The Futura 200, good motor as long as you didn't use it!!.I had a mate who put the SD33t and gearbox in his, it was a great truck.
The 200 Ford persuit motor had a simple ignition system, so shouldn't be hard to track down the problem.

Haha what do you mean good motor as long as i dont use it? So it's crap? haha!
The Sd33t is the Turbo Diesel version isnt it? Which is a LOT better than the petrol.

the ferret
25th April 2011, 11:59 PM
Yeah, had bad experiences with Ford stuff over the years. Put it this way, they are like cheese and chook poo, SD33t is a real motor and no problem using it!! and no, The SD33T is not a version of anything Ford ever made. No comparison really!

Finly Owner
26th April 2011, 11:02 PM
I need to bring my manuals inside. But I thought the G60 had 3litre petrol in it. And I was unaware it was a falcon motor.

The Motor that is almost equivalent to SD33T is SD33. They are almost identical to look at, except for the tappet cover and the most obvious is the turbo. Inside the blocks are two different assemblies though.

Tim

the ferret
27th April 2011, 12:02 AM
Been around the ol g60 for many years Tim, and Falcons, the g60 petty is nothing like any Falcon motor, but having said that, things may have been different in Europe.
I also believe that the SD33 was used in the American International Scout, and that the g60 came out with the SD33 as well as the petty tho I hav'nt seen one as standard fit, only retro.
Anyway, I don't think a Falcon bottom end would he half as strong as the old Nissan petty. They are a very strong motor but boy are they thirsty. cheers Rod.

Finly Owner
27th April 2011, 12:53 AM
Been around the ol g60 for many years Tim, and Falcons, the g60 petty is nothing like any Falcon motor, but having said that, things may have been different in Europe.
I also believe that the SD33 was used in the American International Scout, and that the g60 came out with the SD33 as well as the petty tho I hav'nt seen one as standard fit, only retro.
Anyway, I don't think a Falcon bottom end would he half as strong as the old Nissan petty. They are a very strong motor but boy are they thirsty. cheers Rod.Go the SD33T economical and strong

Tim

the ferret
27th April 2011, 01:11 AM
Yer, I don't mind working on them, they don't have ECU, if it won't start, it's outa fuel ha ha.

Finly Owner
27th April 2011, 02:30 AM
lol thanks rod

racey000
27th April 2011, 03:34 PM
Can you swap the coil out and test ?

gotkeith
30th July 2011, 11:07 PM
Hey Racey - That's something i might have to try.

I'm not great with cars so hopefully i can figure this out with ya help!