PDA

View Full Version : Building the 'expedition' box - looking for ideas and input

Pages : [1] 2 3

FNQGU
27th November 2016, 04:07 PM
So, after a number of somewhat lengthy trips around various parts of remote Australia, and with plans in place to continue, I came to the conclusion that there is room for improvement in the currently available selection of boxes to put our stuff in. Lots of people out there harp on and on about being prepared, and taking all the right spares and spending money on suspension etc. but when it comes down to packing it all into our vehicles, the challenges begin. Everything from suspension spares and tools to sufficient food, water and appropriate clothing needs to be not only carried, but carefully stowed to prevent damage or loss, whilst at the same time kept to a minimum to reduce weight! If you get these basics right and know how to use your kit, then things proceed just that much smoother and easier, right?

Strangely enough though, not everyone puts the same amount of thought into how to best store all of their well thought out items of equipment. One of the trends in recent times has been to install a set of expensive steel or even more expensive alloy drawers. Drawers themselves work very well and enhance the ability to pack more things in a safe and convenient manner and I've used them to good effect, but over the last few years have decided that there are some distinct downsides.

The first big negative for us, and anyone who packs for long trips requiring plenty of gear, is the sheer weight factor. A bare bones standard drawer system comes in somewhere between about 60 and 80kg before you’ve even thought about putting your spares or your Weetbix in them. 80kgs is a hell of a lot of extra weight to carry for the convenience of better packing and in direct proportion, means you can carry less gear.

The second major negative with these sorts of systems was the fact that when pulling up to a campsite that you might want to stay at for any length of time, the drawers, by design, remain in the vehicle, thus meaning that all your ‘stuff’ remains in the vehicle. What we find works more to our camping style, is the ability to remove our camp boxes from the vehicle to use in the camp as required, thus negating the need to keep returning to the vehicle for any little item one might need to make dinner etc. There are also a lot of campsites around Australia, particularly in some of the National Parks, that do not allow vehicles to be parked up right beside the camp.

The third major sticking point for us, was not so much the use of the drawers when touring, but what happens when you get home from that big trip and want to return your vehicle to being the ‘daily driver’ that is required to take the kids bikes in the back, or the dog, or what have you. This was rammed home big time when my wife once asked me to take one of the kid's bikes in my Patrol, so we could do a cycle on the Cairns esplanade. It didn’t really go down that well when I had to explain that I couldn’t fit it, and the kids in, despite having a vehicle twice the size of her VW Golf.

All of these things led me to re-think my packing and storage methods and requirements and to start a thought process around how we could do it simpler and more efficiently. When designing the layout of my 79 series dual cab canopy, I opted to use 55 litre Nally bins and a light weight aluminium mesh frame, a system that also has a couple of limitations, mostly due to the nature of the Nally bins themselves. The system though does, however, address all three of the above issues to some degree.

So what are the key elements of a ‘touring’ storage system for a 4wd? Strength? Lack of rattles? Dust and water proof? Stack-ability? Removability? Efficient use of space?

In terms of carrying capacity, everything revolves around the cargo area (or tray/canopy) and to a lesser extent, the roof rack, and back seats. What we really wanted was the flexibility in a system to be able to remove items from the vehicle with minimum fuss, and then return them when required. Like in the good old days when as kids, Dad used a ‘kitchen box’ made of ply, but that held just about everything we needed for the weekend. This box was put in the back of the wagon and then removed once we got to camp. The car was then free to be used for other purposes like firewood collection or to carry us kids and the fishing rods down to the beach and back.

In my mind, setting up camp with a table as somewhat of a centrepiece, nearby to the fireplace, with the food and cooking gear under or beside the table, is still what the majority see as the most efficient way to go, unless of course, you are just overnighting all the time and cooking off the back of the tray, or something similar.

When it comes to strength, the good old Nally bin is still probably one of the better options on the market, followed by things like the Wolf Pack (Front Runner) boxes and then a big gap down to the typical clear plastic boxes bought at Bunnings or Woolies. Unfortunately all of these boxes have some serious flaws when it comes to either the weather, the dust, or the rigours of a thousand corrugations, and we noted that a box with the attributes we wanted would by nature be starting to get into the league of the Pelican boxes, Tuff boxes, or Space Cases. Unfortunately, we didn’t want a box to be either as heavy as those options or restricted to those dimensions. We wanted something that was a ‘better’ fit to Four Wheel Drive cargo bays and frankly, a little bit more user-friendly!

So with this in mind, a mate and I have decided to have a go at designing a bullet proof 'touring' box that could easily meet the above needs, but that was waterproof, dust-proof, and could be used either in the back of the vehicle or on the roof. The box also needed to be compatible for use with ratchet straps, turnbuckles or quick release mechanisms, and was still stackable, did not collect water on the lids (like Nally bins), could be used as a seat, couldn’t be opened by inquisitive animals, and didn’t cost hundreds of hard earned dollars.

What we have conceptualized is now being fine tuned in CAD and we hope to have a working prototype ready for testing on our next big trip in about May next year. This new system is also going to work with a specifically designed 'Quick Release' mechanism, a lightweight frame (to replace the heavy drawers) that can be easily removed once the trip is over and the vehicle needs to return to its 'daily driver' duties. Initial research and conversations with some of those in the industry, who spend a lot of time in the great outdoors, indicates that if it all works as we hope, then it will do really well.

The R&D process isn't complete yet, so if you have a feature in mind that you think should be considered for inclusion, let me know and I'll see what we can do with it. If we can get our ducks in a row with it, then we'll try and fire it all up via a Kick Starter project. If you would possibly be interested in something like this, or even willing to help out in testing a prototype sometime next year, then sing out.

lucus30
27th November 2016, 04:22 PM
So, after a number of somewhat lengthy trips around various parts of remote Australia, and with plans in place to continue, I came to the conclusion that there is room for improvement in the currently available selection of boxes to put our stuff in. Lots of people out there harp on and on about being prepared, and taking all the right spares and spending money on suspension etc. but when it comes down to packing it all into our vehicles, the challenges begin. Everything from suspension spares and tools to sufficient food, water and appropriate clothing needs to be not only carried, but carefully stowed to prevent damage or loss, whilst at the same time kept to a minimum to reduce weight! If you get these basics right and know how to use your kit, then things proceed just that much smoother and easier, right?

Strangely enough though, not everyone puts the same amount of thought into how to best store all of their well thought out items of equipment. One of the trends in recent times has been to install a set of expensive steel or even more expensive alloy drawers. Drawers themselves work very well and enhance the ability to pack more things in a safe and convenient manner and I've used them to good effect, but over the last few years have decided that there are some distinct downsides.

The first big negative for us, and anyone who packs for long trips requiring plenty of gear, is the sheer weight factor. A bare bones standard drawer system comes in somewhere between about 60 and 80kg before you’ve even thought about putting your spares or your Weetbix in them. 80kgs is a hell of a lot of extra weight to carry for the convenience of better packing and in direct proportion, means you can carry less gear.

The second major negative with these sorts of systems was the fact that when pulling up to a campsite that you might want to stay at for any length of time, the drawers, by design, remain in the vehicle, thus meaning that all your ‘stuff’ remains in the vehicle. What we find works more to our camping style, is the ability to remove our camp boxes from the vehicle to use in the camp as required, thus negating the need to keep returning to the vehicle for any little item one might need to make dinner etc. There are also a lot of campsites around Australia, particularly in some of the National Parks, that do not allow vehicles to be parked up right beside the camp.

The third major sticking point for us, was not so much the use of the drawers when touring, but what happens when you get home from that big trip and want to return your vehicle to being the ‘daily driver’ that is required to take the kids bikes in the back, or the dog, or what have you. This was rammed home big time when my wife once asked me to take one of the kid's bikes in my Patrol, so we could do a cycle on the Cairns esplanade. It didn’t really go down that well when I had to explain that I couldn’t fit it, and the kids in, despite having a vehicle twice the size of her VW Golf.

All of these things led me to re-think my packing and storage methods and requirements and to start a thought process around how we could do it simpler and more efficiently. When designing the layout of my 79 series dual cab canopy, I opted to use 55 litre Nally bins and a light weight aluminium mesh frame, a system that also has a couple of limitations, mostly due to the nature of the Nally bins themselves. The system though does, however, address all three of the above issues to some degree.

So what are the key elements of a ‘touring’ storage system for a 4wd? Strength? Lack of rattles? Dust and water proof? Stack-ability? Removability? Efficient use of space?

In terms of carrying capacity, everything revolves around the cargo area (or tray/canopy) and to a lesser extent, the roof rack, and back seats. What we really wanted was the flexibility in a system to be able to remove items from the vehicle with minimum fuss, and then return them when required. Like in the good old days when as kids, Dad used a ‘kitchen box’ made of ply, but that held just about everything we needed for the weekend. This box was put in the back of the wagon and then removed once we got to camp. The car was then free to be used for other purposes like firewood collection or to carry us kids and the fishing rods down to the beach and back.

In my mind, setting up camp with a table as somewhat of a centrepiece, nearby to the fireplace, with the food and cooking gear under or beside the table, is still what the majority see as the most efficient way to go, unless of course, you are just overnighting all the time and cooking off the back of the tray, or something similar.

When it comes to strength, the good old Nally bin is still probably one of the better options on the market, followed by things like the Wolf Pack (Front Runner) boxes and then a big gap down to the typical clear plastic boxes bought at Bunnings or Woolies. Unfortunately all of these boxes have some serious flaws when it comes to either the weather, the dust, or the rigours of a thousand corrugations, and we noted that a box with the attributes we wanted would by nature be starting to get into the league of the Pelican boxes, Tuff boxes, or Space Cases. Unfortunately, we didn’t want a box to be either as heavy as those options or restricted to those dimensions. We wanted something that was a ‘better’ fit to Four Wheel Drive cargo bays and frankly, a little bit more user-friendly!

So with this in mind, a mate and I have decided to have a go at designing a bullet proof 'touring' box that could easily meet the above needs, but that was waterproof, dust-proof, and could be used either in the back of the vehicle or on the roof. The box also needed to be compatible for use with ratchet straps, turnbuckles or quick release mechanisms, and was still stackable, did not collect water on the lids (like Nally bins), could be used as a seat, couldn’t be opened by inquisitive animals, and didn’t cost hundreds of hard earned dollars.

What we have conceptualized is now being fine tuned in CAD and we hope to have a working prototype ready for testing on our next big trip in about May next year. This new system is also going to work with a specifically designed 'Quick Release' mechanism, a lightweight frame (to replace the heavy drawers) that can be easily removed once the trip is over and the vehicle needs to return to its 'daily driver' duties. Initial research and conversations with some of those in the industry, who spend a lot of time in the great outdoors, indicates that if it all works as we hope, then it will do really well.

The R&D process isn't complete yet, so if you have a feature in mind that you think should be considered for inclusion, let me know and I'll see what we can do with it. If we can get our ducks in a row with it, then we'll try and fire it all up via a Kick Starter project. If you would possibly be interested in something like this, or even willing to help out in testing a prototype sometime next year, then sing out.
I'd be very interested if it suits my needs. But that's the thing one size generally doesn't fit all.

Im looking for something I can Chuck in the back of the wagon

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

FNQGU
27th November 2016, 04:28 PM
Yep, that was exactly what started this whole thought process off. Making it fit better in the wagon cargo space.

I'll do a couple of sizes. Basically thinking that there will be a standard size and a long size to start with. The longer box is probably the one I'd be throwing on the roof rack. Two of the standard size boxes will still stack on the longer box too.

MB
27th November 2016, 04:37 PM
Well done FNQGU, I'd buy em in a heartbeat mate. Our family wagon has the cheapo drawer system weighing some 80+kg and helps send us into GVM upgrade$$$ territory if we ever seriously tour in it. My ute/tray I've got an assortment of Bunnings 'Rhino' boxes 900&1200's inter stackable and so tough can be used as stairs up when off loaded. Only trouble for me in the ute setup is that as I get older the old back can't handle the 1200's weight and I'm sure oneday soon the 900's will break me too.
Lego I reckon was one of the best inventions ever, especially how varying blocks can always interlock to create any structure we like. Imagine a whole convoy unloading to create a camp kitchen or grandstand seating around the fire, lol :-)

garett
27th November 2016, 04:56 PM
this is why i don't have draws in the back. i use my mav for everything. and draws would kill too much space when i'm not using them. love the idea, much better than the cardboard boxes i use now.

FNQGU
27th November 2016, 05:09 PM
Working on a quick release fridge slide and drop slide too...in HD alloy instead of steel. Should be able to fit the box system to one side and the pull the lot out and stick it all back in the shed when home. Fridge slides are another pain.

Cuppa
27th November 2016, 06:33 PM
I’m watching this with interest. If you can achieve your aim I too think they will be very popular.

Our pod based storage came about after I realised the Troopy access only from the rear, for everything, just wasn’t going to work for extended travel. When planning the pod one of the primary goals was storage which as much as possible avoided having to move one thing to access another. I achieved this to a large extent, but it could still be a lot better, especially since removing the previously portable solar panels permanently to the roof. I used two different size of ‘Nally’ bins, same width & length, but two different depths. They slide in & out on aluminium side rails so that when all are removed they leave taller open spaces than you get with shelving, but the framework is restricts non-camper use. When collecting stuff from the hardware store it is not uncommon for me to use my wife’s diminutive two door hatchback as I can get longer things into it. I couldn’t carry a bike inside. A trailer is a necessity for at home use.

mudnut
27th November 2016, 06:55 PM
As someone who is very restricted on how much I can carry, I would love to have bins that are able to be fitted with a handle and wheels. As you have posted, some camps have a fair distance between the carpark and the camp site. I have thrown together a platform that sits where the mid row of seats is, so being able to put a mattress on top of the bins would be a big plus too. I wonder if you could build in a frame at one end of the box to accommodate the wheels and fasten the end on with quick release screws so that the contents can be accessed if the need arises. And maybe interlock the boxes when loaded next to each other.

FNQGU
27th November 2016, 07:19 PM
One of the aims we have with the QR frame is that it can actually be pulled out of a vehicle and left in camp, with the boxes in it so they slide in and out nice and easily. The QR bases of the frame could in theory snap onto anything, including a set of wheels I guess. The frame will also hopefully be stackable - so a double stack and a single, can be joined vertically to make a triple. Some of the feed back I've had from ute owners is that they want a triple stack, or a fridge with a single above it, then directly behind it and up against the headboard, a triple stack. ie. back to back.

The boxes themselves will also have the same feature if we can engineer it. We're aiming to have them snap onto a QR mount on a roof rack, without any straps at all, so technically you could attach some sort of rolling system for either the whole frame, with boxes in it, or an individual box. Designing and building rollers as accessories wouldnt be that hard I don't think. It would just depend on demand.

Cuppa - if we get this right, the system would allow you to pull the whole frame out at will, thus free-ing up that space where your current frame is. I have the exact same drama in my truck now, and this is part of my motivation for trying to make something 'better'.

NissanGQ4.2
24th May 2017, 06:31 PM
I've been following the website recently concept looks good but are they going 2 be any different 2 the poly space cases that are already out on the market?

MudRunnerTD
24th May 2017, 07:21 PM
I would love to find decent tubs with straight sides with no taper and no rim around the top, if needed put the rim on the inside of the box!! Kills me how much space is waisted using the tuba from bunnings.

This pic from Cuppa is a classic example. Those tubs are what is available and they are tapered to allow them to stack inside each other but make them bloody wasteful when used and packed side by side or as drawers.

If anyone comes across decent tubs let me know. Keen as. Prefer with lids.

threedogs
25th May 2017, 03:59 PM
I use and still do sometime use a galley trolley from an aircraft [dont ask].
It will house all my cooking gear and a bit of tin food ,coffee etc had handles each end
you could sit on it ,use it as a table. I made partitons for different bits and pieces alway
had comments made about it. and its lockable about 3ft long x one foot wide and about 18in high
still got it and love it.
Had lift out sections water and dust proof. Fits inside my camper to so thats a plus
MINE IS MADE FROM TWO SHEETS OF ALLOY WITH HONEYCOMB IN THE MIDDLE
JUST FINISHED IT WITH ALLOY ANGLE IRON, very very light, I also have roadie boxes
Ive found cheap on Ebay ,new they are upwards of $500 scored mine for $50'
I too hate drawers with a passion just useless for the way I camp.
Keep looking on Ebay Ive even brought some great timber suit cases. partition it off
and bingo another storage item, Write whats inside and a piece of paper and place
it inside a zip lock bag. Been using this system for years and years.
Yes did the drawer thing but thought things could be better for the way I travel [light]
Even had some marine ply storage boxes made for different items, and they all stack
neatly all together on my shelving. Simple want to go just grab the 4-5 boxes and away you go.
All are waterproof as well, there was a mob down Mordiallic Vic SCS I think that sold
bolt in systems you could unbolt when not in use. Best Idea even among others Id seen.
flip down fridge handles maybe a bit more thought in packing could of saved you $1500
Gee thats nearly an E-Locker lol

FNQGU
2nd June 2017, 07:12 AM
Hi guys, apologies for no updates recently. Been absent due to declining health and eventual passing of my Dad. Starting to get back on track now though.

We've finalised the design of the first box at 55 litres (578mmx440mmx342mm). We've got a plan to design a series of box sizes now that compete with the Space Cases and Tuff boxes etc. but that actually seal properly, have no metal parts, are designed for the 4wd, camping and quad bike market primarily, but also the marine industry etc. We also want to price these realistically and think we can do this.

Its been a steep learning curve for sure and we have had some fantastic support from the likes of Brad McCarthy from MaxTrax and Michael McMillan from Australian Expedition Vehicles amongst others. Yes, it does have tapered sides and an outside lip but this is necessary for Injection Moulding to work properly. Tapering the sides was a big decision to make, but a vertical sided box with the lip on the outside would also 'waste' that space in between boxes. It's all a compromise. Tapering brought significant cost savings too. Mostly in freight because the boxes will 'nest' when stacked in towers on a pallet or when empty and stacked in the side of the shed at home. We did however keep the taper absolutely minimised and put a step in it for strength and to keep the sides as vertical as possible but still smooth for easy wiping out.

The lids come off and will also stack nicely on top of each other. The box is also lockable with three different size padlocks in two places.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/06/7.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/UN4Emm)PastedGraphic-16 (https://flic.kr/p/UN4Emm) by Ben Kincade (https://www.flickr.com/photos/147529924@N07/),

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/06/8.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/VoiXWp)PastedGraphic-15 (https://flic.kr/p/VoiXWp) by Ben Kincade (https://www.flickr.com/photos/147529924@N07/),

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/06/9.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/VoiVWT)PastedGraphic-18 (https://flic.kr/p/VoiVWT) by Ben Kincade (https://www.flickr.com/photos/147529924@N07/),

The grip area on the ends of the box has been loaded with ribs to prevent fingers jamming and also to add strength to the lip.

You can also see the tie-down points on each corner. These are for turn-buckles or ropes. They are 12mm wide, reinforced and rounded off so ropes won't wear on square edges. Using these points means you can access the box contents without having to undo ratchet straps, another reason for the lip on the outside.

The lid profile also retains ratchet straps in place in the grooves, as well as facilitates stacking of other boxes so they won't move around.

If anyone has any further suggestions I am all ears. We are getting really keen to bust out a prototype and test it all.

Jimmyboyjr4
2nd June 2017, 08:03 AM
How do you foresee them being stacked?

I have been looking for a decent set of boxes (forever) so that I'm always packed just have to put them in the car but any decent strength one I can find don't really stack

FNQGU
2nd June 2017, 08:13 AM
The ridges on the underside of these boxes match up with ridges on the lids so they won't move around. The quality of this image is poor sorry. I'll have to find a couple of other pics later but it will sort of look like this. Disregard the height of this stack. We were playing around with pallet dimensions.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/06/10.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/U9KSsM)Screenshot 2017-05-31 19.24.07 (https://flic.kr/p/U9KSsM) by Ben Kincade (https://www.flickr.com/photos/147529924@N07/),

Touses
2nd June 2017, 08:21 AM
FNQGU liking these a lot bloke! In the market for half a dozen at the mo'.
How far off do you think they may be?

Jimmyboyjr4
2nd June 2017, 09:19 AM
Yeah, thats very awesome!
Looking forward to seeing how these fit in the back of the GQ!

FNQGU
3rd June 2017, 11:24 AM
Hard to say how far off we are from production. Monday we order the first prototype to ensure it all works properly. Then probably a second prototype with any minor refinements and to ensure the nesting all works as it should. After that is the big financial decision to pay for the production of the injection moulds. Not a cheap exercise at all so we are tryng hard to make sure it is all worth it and the features etc. all work. Once we have the moulds we'll knock out about twenty or so in a variety of material variations and go smash them on some big trips and torture tests to select a final material. After that, we'll take a pallet load to the shows and see what happens.

Thanks for the feedback, it is all very welcome. Either positive or negative.

Winnie
3rd June 2017, 11:33 AM
Be keen on a couple of these pending final size and price. At the moment I use a couple of very cheap containers from kmart and replace them every few months.
Great for keeping them packed all the time so you can chuck them in the car at the last minute for spontaneous camping tricks.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

threedogs
3rd June 2017, 06:47 PM
great idea partions ,,smash proof, sit on them use as a table winner,, winner,, chicken dinner

FNQGU
15th June 2017, 01:15 PM
Would love a bit of feedback on colour selections if anyone can add their thoughts.

Plain Black
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/06/146.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/VBeUR2)Keyshot Master File.215 (https://flic.kr/p/VBeUR2) by

Plain Grey
[url=https://flic.kr/p/UwcADf]http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/06/147.jpg (https://www.flickr.com/photos/147529924@N07/)Keyshot Master File.214 (https://flic.kr/p/UwcADf) by Ben Kincade (https://www.flickr.com/photos/147529924@N07/),

Desert Tan (although looks a bit cream to me)
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/06/148.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/VBeUZi)Keyshot Master File.213 (https://flic.kr/p/VBeUZi) by Ben Kincade (https://www.flickr.com/photos/147529924@N07/),

Or versions with coloured latches and hinge pins for somethng different.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/06/149.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/VBeV6R)Keyshot Master File.211 (https://flic.kr/p/VBeV6R) by Ben Kincade (https://www.flickr.com/photos/147529924@N07/),

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/06/150.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/Uz8mr6)Keyshot Master File.202 (https://flic.kr/p/Uz8mr6) by Ben Kincade (https://www.flickr.com/photos/147529924@N07/),

FNQGU
15th June 2017, 03:29 PM
Here's a better Desert Tan colour.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/06/151.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/Vy9hhj)Keyshot Master File.225 (https://flic.kr/p/Vy9hhj) by Ben Kincade (https://www.flickr.com/photos/147529924@N07/)

Winnie
15th June 2017, 03:32 PM
I think I like the desert tan, or the black with orange latches.

4bye4
15th June 2017, 03:43 PM
I like the idea of coloured latches, you could use them to differentiate betwen contents instead of a list. Black with a choice of latch colour would be my choice. Also I would like to be able to replace latches, that is have latches as a spare part as I have in the past ended up throwing "Bunnings" type boxes away because of broken latches or hinges.

NissanGQ4.2
15th June 2017, 04:12 PM
Black with red latches.....

I vote 10% discount for forum members + a further 10% discount for a group buy :) all in favor say I *L*

FNQGU
15th June 2017, 04:36 PM
There will definitely be spare latches and pins and internal trays. Probably going to do about six coloured latches/pins and one box colour to start with. After that we are thinking a Medical red, Safety orange, Desert tan, light grey and a few others depending on feedback.

Forum discount for sure!

Touses
16th June 2017, 10:47 AM
I'd think we're all used to walking into the robber barons' and the colour choice is generally black or grey.
A variety of colours here is solid thinking. The only drawback may be uv stability of the colouring.
I can imagine the units will spend a fair deal of time on the ground at camp and colour fade could become an issue, more so those that are lighter in colour!!
That said I'm a fan of the Desert tan but would probably purchase a variety to facilitate ease of identifying the contents.

4bye4
16th June 2017, 11:18 AM
Black with red latches.....

I vote 10% discount for forum members + a further 10% discount for a group buy :) all in favor say I *L*

Free Red Back roof top bag for orders over $1000. :D I'm gonna get banned aren’t I

the evil twin
16th June 2017, 02:17 PM
When it comes to stacking boxes have you considered an accessory that works sort of like shipping container pins do IE you restrain each layer using the rope point on the lower and upper box.

So that you only tie down or restrain the bottom box and any more that stack attach to the box below... or an accessory that hard mounts on a surface and even the bottom box attaches to that point.

Something with hooks at either end and an overcentre for tension so that a quick flick means you can unstack in a jiffy.
Wouldn't be something for everyone but damn handy for anyone who does 3 or 4 layers

MB
16th June 2017, 05:29 PM
Welcome back ET !
Bloody Ripper Idea!!

MB
16th June 2017, 05:40 PM
FNQGU mate, our industry finds 'black' is usually a bit cheaper than colours. Not as bad with injection moulding as MOQ's a very high. Rotational moulding 'black' is a good 'mould cleanout' colour yet best on UV stability. HDPE (High Density Polyethylene) floats whereas others like LLDPE and PVC mixtures sink when flooded. Maybe you could expand into Marine and or Military customers down the track with the right moulds from the start +100,000 runs as a good minimum maker guarantee mate!

FNQGU
16th June 2017, 07:26 PM
Thanks guys. Good input.

MB - yes the Injection Moulds are good for at least 100,000 or even lots more. I saw one mould that had done over a million milk crates with only minor maintenance.

Our current favourite material (pending testing) is a glass reinforced Poly Propylene that is UV stabilised and uses engineering grade Acetal pins and latches instead of metal of any sort. The thought is to make this a tough box that will handle lots of punishment.

The marine guys we've spoken to are definitely keen on the 'no metal' parts and the nesting abilities of the box and we've had a few good conversations with some military blokes too.

Roto moulding gives the nice vertical sides that we all like for packing but unfortunately needs the big interior lip which makes the box hard to clean out. Roto moulded boxes are also everywhere with good products so not worth trying to do another one.

Base colour might be a grey as standard. Black to me seems like it will get really hot if sitting on the roof all the time. Hopefully there will be enough demand for a variety of colours.

ET - I really looked hard at that option and will experiment a bit down the track if we can. Injection moulding comes with a heap of tooling restrictions so it needs clever engineering and detachable fittings. Pelican screw there fittings on which works very well, so that sort of thing might be an option, not sure yet.

dannnnn
16th June 2017, 07:26 PM
great idea. i like the colours with contrasting latches, maybe keep the same colour for the tub and have a range of different latches and/or lids? owners will need some way of telling the boxes apart! some comments
* having the lip of the tub wider than the lid looks like it'd allow water ingress
* consider a raised lip and/or rubber seal inside the lid to seal from water & dust
* does the high raised/convex lid mean you need an equally high raised/concave base on the tub?? if so, that doesn't seem great for internal packing - it'd chew away at space and you wouldn't often pack stuff higher than the rim. if that's the case can you have only a slight rise in height for the lid?
* would the lid be effective with only two latches? opening/closing three of them all the time around camp would get annoying?; or
* can you fold the latches up out of the way so that when you're using them around camp you only need to lock one latch to keep out dingoes/goannas/etc?
* maybe before finalising the design, consider the dimensions so you could make an adaptor/bracket kit to store them on the rhino platform/front runner "system" style roof racks?? similar in concept to how you can easily store maxtrax? maybe you even modify the corners of the tub slightly to introduce a notch so it'd clip into a roof rack bracket and you don't need tie downs?
* if you make them in different sizes, size the smaller unit so that you can stack two together and the pair of them stacked is exactly the same height as the larger single unit.

MB
16th June 2017, 07:44 PM
You are definitely all over it mate, well done! I don't know too much about ABS type glass reinforced plastics but did have a good friend warn me about manufacturers temps in production should be critical ! Once perfected it is some seriously tough shit mate, well done :-) !!

FNQGU
16th June 2017, 08:04 PM
great idea. i like the colours with contrasting latches, maybe keep the same colour for the tub and have a range of different latches and/or lids? some comments
* having the lip wider than the lid looks like it'd allow water ingress
* consider a raised lip and/or rubber seal inside the lid to seal from water & dust -
* does the high raised/convex lid mean you need an equally high raised/concave base?? if so that doesn't seem great for internal packing - you wouldn't often pack stuff higher than the rim anyway. if that's the case can you have only a slight rise in height for the lid?
* would the lid be effective with only two latches? opening/closing three of them all the time around camp would get annoying?; or
* can you fold the latches up out of the way so that when you're using them around camp you only need to lock one latch to keep out dingoes/goannas/etc?
* maybe consider the dimensions so it'd be easy to make an adaptor kit to store it on the rhino platform/front runner style roof racks?? similar in concept to how you can easily store maxtrax? maybe you even modify the corners of the tub slightly to introduce a notch so it'd clip into a roof rack adaptor kit and you don't need tie downs?
* if you make them in different sizes, make a smaller unit that you can stack two together and the pair of them stacked is exactly the same height as the larger single unit.

Thanks Dan,

Re the water ingress - we've got a substantial raised inner lip and quality seal. Had to install a goretex valve to allow pressure equalisation as the seal was so decent.

The interior floor of the box is flat and the height of the lid was based on full sized wine bottles and cordial bottles etc. To avoid the case of wasted space in the higher sections of the box, we added in the removable trays for smaller items. We've also had quite a number of requests for wine storage ability. Like a foam filler or somethng. Drinks and the bush go hand in hand, so we are keeping this in mind as well.

The lid is raised and shaped that way to stop water pooling if left out in camp like the Nally bin scenario.

Two latches - yes we looked at this and ran a heap of computer modeling on the sealing of the box and concluded we needed the third latch to keep integrity. It also helps to avoid the dreaded warp factor when idiots put 2.5t ratchet straps across them and reef them down hard.

You can of course just use one latch to avoid any sort of animal getting in there. The latches will also pop off with a fair bit of effort when at the right angle and are replaceable if lost.

Re storage on roof racks - the notches in all four corners are exactly for this. Designed for turn buckles or ropes and allow the lids to still be opened whilst the box remains secure. This is one annoying thing with using ratchet straps over the top that can be avoided although of course you can still use the straps and the lid has been designed to retain the straps in place either from side to side or end to end.

Re heights - yes. The next model will be larger and about the full width of a roof rack. A smaller model is also in the wings. The current sized 55 litre box will stack on top of the larger box and vice versa. Heights, lengths and widths will all be compatible.

MB - thanks mate. The learning curve has been a steep one but we are getting some great assistance as well. Temps with production moulds are critical and these guys get really fussy when it comes to good design to avoid slowing down the process. MaxTrax are a glass reinforced nylon and these boxes will be sort of similar but with Poly Propylene instead.

Hope this helps.

Ben

dannnnn
16th June 2017, 08:37 PM
nice 1 ben, sounds like a good design! what are you thinking they will sell for??

re: tie down points - i saw your bit about the holes on the top corners, but i find it annoying to use ratchet straps or turn buckles. i was suggesting you make a seperate bracket that you attach to the roof rack and then you simply "drop" / "click" the tub into the bracket on your rack, no further tie downs/etc required.

edit; idea for an accessory - sits on the inside rim sort of like your carry tray, but a cutlery box like the ones creative camping solutions sell on ebay.

FNQGU
16th June 2017, 08:48 PM
Still looking at a whole quick release system mate. But that is down the track a little. Starting with the interior of a wagon first.

dannnnn
16th June 2017, 09:08 PM
fair enough mate, although if you need to build in some notches or whatever to make it work then it'd be better to do it from the beginning??

love the idea of the bolt-in vehicle frame to hold them in the back of a wagon/ute. you have fairly pointed out how awkward drawers can be in day-to-day vehicle use and i'll also point out that after you've spent $400-2,000 on a set of drawers you then need to spend
* another $600 on a drop-down fridge slide just to get your fridge back down to an accessible height
* another $700 odd on a cargo barrier to keep all your stuff from flying into the back of your head
* if you've got kids in seats, another $300 odd on a crib bar because the drawers cover the factory child restraint points
that's a system costing minimum $2000, weighs a heap, and most of the cash is being spent on work-arounds because of the drawers!!

if you design your frame right you could still access the factory child restraint points, you could store stuff *above* the fridge allowing you to use a flat/normal/cheap fridge slide and you could also have catches to restrain the boxes negating the need for a barrier. then you store something like 4 boxes to the right of the fridge, and maybe leave enough space on the bottom or side to store a fold-in-half blow mould table. heaps of storage, touring setup sorted. then when you get home, 4 or so bolts, the whole thing comes out and as a plus you store the boxes in the frame in your garage, taking up minimal extra space. as a system it'd be easily $1,000 cheaper and it's more functional... where do i invest!!??

FNQGU
17th June 2017, 06:52 AM
These are the notches we've built in. Work with a turn buckle or you can feed rope right through (in one side and out the other). They are re-inforced as well.

Might be possible to make quick release brackets that use these notches.

As for the rest, yes, we are on the same page.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/06/166.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/VAYQEN)Notches (https://flic.kr/p/VAYQEN) by Ben Kincade (https://www.flickr.com/photos/147529924@N07/),

Ben

the evil twin
17th June 2017, 12:16 PM
These are the notches we've built in. Work with a turn buckle or you can feed rope right through (in one side and out the other). They are re-inforced as well.

Hi Ben,

Yeah, that is what I was driving at in my previous poorly worded post... having a "joiner" that takes a second or two to tighten/release and not needing turnbuckles, ropes, straps etc to restrain/stack/secure may be one (of several) differentiators that makes your product appeal to the masses out there.
Totally agree they will still need the ability to use the other options of course

Colours? I am not a marketing dude by any means but a 'black with red clips' may make everyone immediately think Tactix brand at first glance, looks good.

Sizes? My only suggestion, which you will almost certainly have already thought of, would be to keep the container outside dimensions as multiples of 2 so that 2 smaller ones match and stack the same footprint as 1 larger one.

Having done the odd K of working the Pilbara/Kimberley and touring the outback the ability of the Aussie Bulldust to get into storage containers, transit cases etc is bloody amazing.
So much so I reckon it is actually an alien life form.
My instrument cases, equipment boxes, drums etc all have seals of Pelican Case standard or better and if you need a gortex valve then yours will tick that box as well I reckon

Anyhooow... hope they are an awesome success for ya

FNQGU
2nd July 2017, 10:06 AM
First prototype guys!

Got to sort the seal and goretex valve install now and then smash it around a bit.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/07/37.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/V6zMZZ)Prototype 1 (https://flic.kr/p/V6zMZZ) by Ben Kincade (https://www.flickr.com/photos/147529924@N07/),

Cuppa
2nd July 2017, 11:24 AM
Woohoo! Well done & it looks just as good as the virtual ones! Quite an achievement. Fingers crossed that testing goes well.

Winnie
2nd July 2017, 11:33 AM
That looks awesome! I hope it works and lasts as good as it looks.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

MudRunnerTD
2nd July 2017, 05:36 PM
I'll tell you I have been looking at space cases to fit one or 2 to the roof rack because they are a good size. I don't want something too tall. I think your sizing is bang on. Will wait to see you product before making a purchase. Nice work.

FNQGU
3rd July 2017, 07:16 AM
Got to do some real torture testing first and then refine a little more I suspect. Coming together though.

Thanks for the support guys.

MudRunnerTD
3rd July 2017, 01:09 PM
have you got a pic of the underside? is it smooth so it can be dragged across surfaces or ribbed and must be lifted?

FNQGU
3rd July 2017, 02:52 PM
Underside will fit the lid ridges to assist with stacking. There are some vague sketches around here somewhere to later play with a wheeled version but at this stage it looks like the below.

If you mean for dragging it across the top of another box, then we've put in two lengthways ribs to help that go smoothly.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/07/60.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/WnpyQR)Underside (https://flic.kr/p/WnpyQR) by Ben Kincade (https://www.flickr.com/photos/147529924@N07/),

MudRunnerTD
3rd July 2017, 07:46 PM
Thanks mate. Yeah I have found with the cheap tubs that the ribs can catch and grab in carpet and rough surfaces and break off. The cheap ones with wheels also don't last well with wheels ripping off.

Surfaces that it might get dragged across would be checkerplate in the bottoms of the camper trailer, carpet on top of the rear drawers in the GU, carpet on the floor at home, concrete driveway. Roof rack mesh.

FNQGU
11th July 2017, 08:29 PM
Well, day one of torture testing and we busted a hinge-pin! Back to the drawing board on the hinge for a bit then try again.

Still, happy with a lot of the other features and it is a nice smooth interior like we wanted. The grips also are nice and comfortable and the latches work great, so not all bad news. Just a bit more work to do yet.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/07/129.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/WnpT7N)Expedition Box 2 (https://flic.kr/p/WnpT7N) by Ben Kincade (https://www.flickr.com/photos/147529924@N07/),

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/07/130.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/WyLzUN)Expedition Box 1 (https://flic.kr/p/WyLzUN) by Ben Kincade (https://www.flickr.com/photos/147529924@N07/),

MudRunnerTD
11th July 2017, 09:22 PM
Looks great.

2 questions.

1. Is the lid strong enough to sit on or stand on?

2. Are the latches or the lid lockable with a padlock or something?

FNQGU
12th July 2017, 07:00 AM
Yes and yes.

The parameters we designed into it are to hold at least 120Kg, which in the computer modeling it did easily. During the rest of the torture testing I'll find out just what sort of real-life weight it will hold, right up until we bust it altogether, so it will probably be the last test.

On the front of the box, to the right and left of the centre latch you can see some holes. This is where you can make use of either one or two various standard sized padlocks which come up from underneath to prevent tampering.

Today we are testing the goretex valve and seal.

So far we've noticed a bit of flex in the side walls, but nothing concerning given that this prototype is only ABS plastic and not the final glass reinforced Polypropylene that should be much stronger.

Will keep the updates going as we progress.

FNQGU
5th August 2017, 01:24 PM
Short video look at the box for perspective. The Cape Flattery trip was great fun with the kids and gave me the opportunity to get a real feel for the box at the same time. Now we are working towards the second prototype after some improvements to design.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOR6FwJ6G1Y

Clunk
5th August 2017, 03:50 PM
Brilliant stuff mate. We're currently using 3 of below, 65l wheeled jobbies. 2 are black with different coloured lids, the 3rd is red with a blue lid. So it's easy for us to know what's in each box. And as Winnie already said, we also keep them stockvsnd packed for quick getaways.

Not sure if you're able to add wheels as an accessory, but we've found them very useful when storing these under the camp table, lift up one end and pull out etc....Kids can sit on them but definitely no where near as tough as yours, so no good for a fat twat like me. Not dust or water tight either, so not able to chuck them on the roof.

Definitely looking forward to seeing how yours go and eventual purchase price. Hope it all goes well.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/08/47.jpg

FNQGU
5th August 2017, 03:59 PM
Cheers mate. We are looking at an option to attach wheels but don't want to build them into the box as it takes up too much room. I just carried the thing from Cairns to Brisbane via the airport system and it is also pretty handy as a Patrol Box, but would really benefit from a screw on handle/frame/wheels arrangement. Getting there slowly...

Clunk
5th August 2017, 04:13 PM
Cheers mate. We are looking at an option to attach wheels but don't want to build them into the box as it takes up too much room. I just carried the thing from Cairns to Brisbane via the airport system and it is also pretty handy as a Patrol Box, but would really benefit from a screw on handle/frame/wheels arrangement. Getting there slowly...Perfect, hence why I asked about them as an accessory. The wheels do take up a bit of space and handles can get in the way a little as they are.

dads tractor
6th August 2017, 11:23 AM
FNQGU for the wheels maybe solid wheels on a axlesetup like the old sack trollie and the back or handle could consentenor the sections being the same size as your boxes so as to use the holes at the corners or the boxes to lock the cart against upside down to get the wheels out of the way . Pretty hard to explain on paper I'm more hands on sort of bloke .

the evil twin
6th August 2017, 12:33 PM
Design a 'clip on' Wheel and Handle accessory that can be purchased separately sama sama tie downs, racks, joining clamps etc. as prev mentioned on other pages.

More money in it for you and you don't have to have different boxes IE one with wheels and one without

Avo
6th August 2017, 03:45 PM
Design a 'clip on' Wheel and Handle accessory that can be purchased separately sama sama tie downs, racks, joining clamps etc. as prev mentioned on other pages.

More money in it for you and you don't have to have different boxes IE one with wheels and one without

yep if you are going fopr an interlocking system like a sea container where the only one secured is the base box...you could make clip on wheels that fit in the interlock bit easy accessory and build into design

Avo
6th August 2017, 04:06 PM
Um.....this sort ofhttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/08/63.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

FNQGU
7th August 2017, 09:22 PM
Plenty of food for thought there. There are a number of design limitations when using injection moulds (due to the way the moulds work) but if wheels and handle things are important enough then no doubt there is a way.

We've just started some interesting production discussions too. If everything falls into place we might be able to have these available around Feb/March next year. Yes, it does take that long...apparently! The moulds themselves take about 3 months to build and prove and we really need to do another prototype before that. Once we have the moulds we will punch about about twenty boxes in probably three different materials and flog them to death before settling on a final material choice. Unfortunately that means more time in the bush I guess....

FNQGU
30th September 2017, 12:09 PM
Well, a few final last tweaks are underway to the design prior to ordering the expensive injection moulds.

Yesterday we got it into a boardroom of a major company where much was discussed regarding distribution with our intent of keeping the price as low as we can.

Seems like we can go via the BCF/SuperCheap Auto/Rays Outdoors/Anaconda etc. or try and hit up the big boys like ARB or Bunnings, or we can do it ourselves with like an online thing off our website. Or perhaps both!

We can also do a super duty version that would be tough as nails. Probably made with something like the reinforced nylon in MaxTrax, which of course would be more expensive to make, but might be wanted by a lot of people too.

Still yet to finalise pricing, but more and more certain we can do them around the $120-$140 mark, but a lot of the cost is freight or retail markups.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/09/191.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/XUnuT1)Expedition Box (https://flic.kr/p/XUnuT1) by Ben Kincade (https://www.flickr.com/photos/147529924@N07/),

the evil twin
30th September 2017, 12:58 PM
Keep at it, Cobber... hoping it will be a roaring success for you and you can sell the Tojo and get a decent truck

FNQGU
30th September 2017, 01:24 PM
Duramax if I do!

Touses
30th September 2017, 03:45 PM
Well that answered my ? re distribution. Was giving some thought to a coupla pallets of to move to my trade/retail clients. Cést la vie!

FNQGU
30th September 2017, 03:57 PM
no worries. Am working out just how many will fit on a pallet. Lids off they nest inside each other to about the half way mark. 4 stacks will fit, just not sure of height as it depends where we put all the lids. Might be able to just stack them on top of each pillar. Will let you know if you are keen.

threedogs
30th September 2017, 09:47 PM
Here's a better Desert Tan colour.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/06/151.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/Vy9hhj)Keyshot Master File.225 (https://flic.kr/p/Vy9hhj) by Ben Kincade (https://www.flickr.com/photos/147529924@N07/)

looks very similar to an ammo box I just brought, Ill put up a pic latter

FNQGU
2nd October 2017, 07:41 AM
Probably going to offer foam inserts now too. Two layers. A couple of drone photographers with their larger Phantom types and extra gear are very keen for this.

DX grunt
2nd October 2017, 08:41 AM
Well done, Ben.

I can't believe I missed this thread!

I'm really keen on the final product.

I've got a pod on the back of my ute and store all my stuff in stacked plastic boxes and use the provided tie down points to secure them, whilst travelling.

On most occasions when I get to my destination, I store the boxes in a 4 man tent, so I can sleep in the pod, watch a DVD, cook a meal in my oven and boil the kettle, for coffee. lol.

I store everything in plastic boxes because it's organized and I can individualize what and where I pack it.

Contents labelling on box: I also label 'what's in the box' by writing the contents' name on each side of the (black) boxes with a yellow paint pen and each yellow lid with a black permanent marker. That way, if I have to turn the box around, I still know what's in it.

You might want to consider how people are going to label the boxs' content/s, before you go into final production - and be able to change the labelling, if they decide to put something else different in it at a later date.

When I need to move camp in a hurry, I just 'chuck' them in the back, and go.

When I get home, I can unpack one box at a time. No rush and my stuff isn't left in piles, all over the garage floor.

At the moment, I secure the lid to the box via 'Leckie ties', as each end has matching holes on the lid and the box itself.

Hope this helps.

Take care over there.

Rossco

Edit: I'd love to see what a WA 'Red Dirt' coloured box would look like. lol

mudnut
2nd October 2017, 10:36 AM
One thing I also have, is a plastic box which contains all my food preparation and dish washing equipment. I had the idea years ago to design and market the kit, but had no idea how to go about it. The kit contains plastic and melamine crockery, stainless steal cutlery ( for six people ), cooking utensils, fry pan, tea towels and a bottle of dish washing liquid. We use a plastic kitty litter box for a sink. I also use a collapsible crate that is used as a dish rack. There is very little wasted space, but there is room for improvement, and the plastic box is deteriorating.

It would be fantastic if you could design a sink, dish rack, cutlery tray and bottle for the dish washing liquid to fit snugly in your expedition box.

FNQGU
2nd October 2017, 11:58 AM
Yeah, all options I guess. Definitely thought about the kitchen box as I currently do similar in my Nally bins. Different colour for different contents etc. I drag them out of the truck into the camp as the drawer system craps me off having to go back to the car all the time.

Re the washing up dish, I've gone back to one of those flexi type plastic buckets lately myself, but still have the standard rectangular plastic washing up dish somewhere in the shed. Could easily design one to fit as an upper level in the box to replace the current lift-out tray option.

FNQGU
2nd October 2017, 06:37 PM
Just throwing this out there, but anyone reckon there would be a market for a really tough version of this box? Same features, but heavier stronger build again?

Guessing about a $200 price tag though.

mudnut
2nd October 2017, 06:50 PM
That is expensive, but after continually buying replacement bins over the years, it would be worth it, especially if you could guarantee it wouldn't shed glass fibre as it ages.

FNQGU
2nd October 2017, 06:54 PM
thinking a nylon additive at the moment. Going to get twenty odd done in various materials, including a bullet proof one of the heaviest grade and then see what we think. If nothing else, I'll use it in my own truck.

MudRunnerTD
2nd October 2017, 06:57 PM
If your marketing against a Space Case then i think your price point is bang on. Happy to buy it cheap too ;P but i think its pretty good value for a tough as nails box that will last my lifetime.

FNQGU
2nd October 2017, 07:06 PM
Hey look, if it all works as we hope, and we do the torture tests and are satisfied it is worthwhile, then there will be a deal for the NissanPatrol mob for sure!

But yes, our standard level box will hopefully compete with SpaceCase and TuffBox and those big boys but at a price where we can all afford it. Just now that I have learned a little about materials, there is room to do something stronger again but out of the same mould. One of the benefits of injection moulds and some newer materials I guess. I'll get some done and go from there. Just an idea at this stage.

NissanGQ4.2
23rd November 2017, 07:03 PM
Sorry Ben and Nic,

It's not got a name

https://openskytouring.com/4wd-touring-tips/2017/11/expedition-134-brand-born/

FNQGU
23rd November 2017, 09:23 PM
G'day mate - we've branded it the X-134 series.

Going to get a batch made up as soon as the injection moulds arrive, and then try and destroy them to select the final material we want to use.

Waiting on others at the moment, but early First Quarter we should have something to play with. Trying to get them out for Easter.

Here is the link (https://openskytouring.com/4wd-touring-tips/2017/11/expedition-134-brand-born/) to the update for anyone else who might be interested.

or copy and paste: https://openskytouring.com/4wd-touring-tips/2017/11/expedition-134-brand-born/

Plasnart
23rd November 2017, 09:58 PM
Best of luck mate. Really respect people extending themselves and developing quality gear over quick-cash disposables. Guys like yourself, oncedisturbed and PeeBee really putting out quality products that might not sell a million but will just last. Hope it's a goer for you.

FNQGU
23rd November 2017, 10:11 PM
Cheers mate, I'll be washing dishes for a long time now if it doesn't work...

Plasnart
24th November 2017, 12:00 AM
Cheers mate, I'll be washing dishes for a long time now if it doesn't work...

Balls on the line. Utmost respect. Unions check this guy and call him a rich capatalist if he succeeds. Do it yourself.

NissanGQ4.2
24th November 2017, 02:17 PM
AB where going 2 have 2 keep an eye on Ben, he might have 2 start paying for being a vendor soon :)

I'm sure I could turn a blind eye though if one just happened 2 turn up on my door step *LMAO*

FNQGU
24th November 2017, 02:43 PM
Might be able to arrange something... :-)

Seriously though - we're in need of some feedback on pricing.

What would you think is a reasonable price to pay for a waterproof, dustproof, breathable utility box designed for the roof rack, the boat, or the back of a quad? Smooth interior for cleaning, stacks well and nests when empty and the lid is removed. The seals are better than SpaceCase/Rhino whatevers/Tuff boxes and no metal hinges or rivets to rust out or warp either. It's tall enough inside for full size 'cordial' bottles or cornflake packets, and strong enough for at least a 120kg bloke to sit/stand on (think it will be higher, but have only tested to 120kg).

First model has 55 litre volume.

We've got some ideas on where price will land, particularly if we cut out the distributors and just do it ourselves to keep it real.

Thoughts?

FNQGU
25th February 2018, 08:06 AM
Hi guys, just got the first testers out of the mould. Checking tolerances and feature usability, and then we'll load them up with glass reinforcing, a custom seal and the goretex vents. After that will be destruction testing, which should be the fun bit.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/02/128.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/EZwXDB)First testers (https://flic.kr/p/EZwXDB) by Ben Kincade (https://www.flickr.com/photos/147529924@N07/),

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/02/129.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/23htMYD)First Testers 1 (https://flic.kr/p/23htMYD) by Ben Kincade (https://www.flickr.com/photos/147529924@N07/),

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/02/130.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/23htRwk)First testers 2 (https://flic.kr/p/23htRwk) by Ben Kincade (https://www.flickr.com/photos/147529924@N07/),

MB
25th February 2018, 10:36 AM
Looks great Ben!
In regards pricing suggestions requested: As a family touring setup inside a GU wagon say, we would be adding up a complete fitout. Around $1k not including a fridge slide and cargo barrier would be fair IMHO. Not sure how many ‘Open Sky’ boxes that would equate to mate? IIRC your design concept was for varying size combinations to fill a GU chockers (4 big ones or 2big/4 small maybe?)
FWIW Our wagon I reckon we spent around $1k years back on a way too heavy draw system and Bunnings assorted placcy tubs all but destroyed now. My ute has multiple Rhino 1200mm, 900mm & now 600mm cases at around $200-$300+ each still going strong but the seals glue are crap and they are very annoying to clean spills inside with humps/ridges everywhere!! (Rhino’s are only suited to long chainsaws/loose heavy tools/big yabby pots/big BBQ plates etc...IMO)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maxhead
25th February 2018, 12:30 PM
G’Day Ben, I’ll be in the market for some tough boxes soon but not sure you’ll be able to accomodate.
I’d be looking at something 1800mm wide but I think a better option would be 1x 1200mm and 1x 600mm
Was there any product dimensions in this thread? Sorry couldn’t find them.
Also, I need something by at least beginning of September.
Let me know how you are progressing as I haven’t seen much that I like yet
Cheers

threedogs
25th February 2018, 03:17 PM
I'll tell you I have been looking at space cases to fit one or 2 to the roof rack because they are a good size. I don't want something too tall. I think your sizing is bang on. Will wait to see you product before making a purchase. Nice work.

Thinking the weight alone of 2 space cases on your roof might be a tad heavy on some style of trips.
they look the the same as my fully lockable ammo/battery box

MudRunnerTD
25th February 2018, 09:25 PM
Thinking the weight alone of 2 space cases on your roof might be a tad heavy on some style of trips.
they look the the same as my fully lockable ammo/battery box

Nah the blowmould plastic space cases are.pretty light and used by many on the roof. I use a Oztent for touring so I need something that will fit a particular space on the roof. I also need something for the camper trailer although these could be better than I need there..

I would certainly consider these inside the GU beside the fridge on top of the drawers too. Bring it.

FNQGU
26th February 2018, 07:53 AM
G’Day Ben, I’ll be in the market for some tough boxes soon but not sure you’ll be able to accomodate.
I’d be looking at something 1800mm wide but I think a better option would be 1x 1200mm and 1x 600mm
Was there any product dimensions in this thread? Sorry couldn’t find them.
Also, I need something by at least beginning of September.
Let me know how you are progressing as I haven’t seen much that I like yet
Cheers

G'day mate - this first one is only a 'utility box' at 550 length. We are thinking that we should do another one at double the length that still will stack with these ones, but doing this one step at a time. Doubt we will ever get to 1800mm long, but I guess the market demand is what drives it.

FNQGU
28th February 2018, 09:00 AM
A short YouTube clip on some of the testing failures and use of the tie-down points.

https://youtu.be/GbP5EiFrL0w

NissanGQ4.2
28th February 2018, 03:06 PM
A short YouTube clip on some of the testing failures and use of the tie-down points.

https://youtu.be/GbP5EiFrL0w

Very impressive guys

FNQGU
10th May 2018, 10:05 AM
Bit of an update - our final prototype has arrived (after much stuffing around), and we'll be aiming to put it through some real-world tests over the coming weeks. Planning a bush trip as soon as I get home from work. Testing seals, tie-down points and how they stack. Overall we are really happy with the results so far. Next step is testing various compounds in real life.

FNQGU
25th May 2018, 07:05 PM
A link to our testing results from a 4 day trip into Western Qld. All up we are pretty bloody happy with it.

https://openskytouring.com/4wd-touring-tips/2018/05/expedition134-box-testing/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1FrMS_dM0I&feature=youtu.be

AB
25th May 2018, 07:23 PM
Just saw your post on FB, looks awesome mate!!!

NissanGQ4.2
25th May 2018, 08:11 PM
Looks great Ben, hope you don't mind but I edited your post and added the video

FNQGU
25th May 2018, 08:28 PM
No worries. Couldn't work out how to embed the youtube video, but the link will have to do.

Also, once I get a few of the final boxes I'd be keen to send some down AB. Maybe someone is doing a trip shortly who could give us some further real world testing and evaluation? Don't need trolls, just some reality checks as we are trying hard to make it as good as it can be and at the best value it can be. My thoughts are that there are too many super expensive products out there and we would love to make something 100% Aussie that is available at excellent value. This box is afterall just an idea from a couple of 4wdrivers wanting something better, not big business wanting profits!

NissanGQ4.2
25th May 2018, 08:37 PM
No worries. Couldn't work out how to embed the youtube video, but the link will have to do.

Yeh I noticed you had tried and deleted, It done my head in but managed 2 embed it for you.

Man you guys have done well on this, looks top notch

FNQGU
25th May 2018, 08:42 PM
Thanks Todd, did I mention beers and camping were had on a river recently... We also nailed a few barra... might need to get your truck working again I reckon.

Mc4by
25th May 2018, 09:11 PM
Obviously I would like to pay as little as possible, but I hate paying 2, 3, 4 times for the same thing.
I am very interested in your product and will be keeping a keen eye on the pricing.

FNQGU
25th May 2018, 09:28 PM
Thanks for the feedback mate. We are looking at a proper warranty on a well designed and built product that should last a bloody long time. I'm the same, I don't want to pay twice, but want a product to do the job it was designed for and last the test of time, and that is what this has been about. Our own expectations on the design phases have been extremely high and we were gobsmacked when once asked by a potential manufacturer "how long do you want this to last for? We can design that in?" Needless to say we didn't go with that mob!

We reckon we can bring it in at a very reasonable price for the boxes it ticks. As soon as we know exactly what it will be made of we will set pricing.

Appreciate the support and feedback.

the evil twin
26th May 2018, 11:29 AM
Awesome... really, really well done.

If you can hit a good price point with the quality of that product then I reckon you're on a big winner.

GQtdauto
26th May 2018, 12:18 PM
My Plano in the back of the GQ was $150 odd has the big O ring seal in the lid but doesn't keep dust out which is disappointing given the blurb on them .
The trip were starting next week to the Cape and Kimberly makes me wish I'd looked into yours sooner for the back seat area , seats are removed and have a false floor but making good use of the area would be easier with the expedition box and we've been trialling different methods to make the storage of gear a bit neater and easier to get to .
Will look into it further for next years trip .

FNQGU
26th May 2018, 01:01 PM
Two of these sit nicely side by side across the Patrol when the seats are rolled forward. With the seats out you would have access to all of the footwells as a bonus.

Cuppa
26th May 2018, 01:13 PM
Awesome... really, really well done.

If you can hit a good price point with the quality of that product then I reckon you're on a big winner.

I'll echo that Ben.

GQtdauto
26th May 2018, 01:51 PM
Two of these sit nicely side by side across the Patrol when the seats are rolled forward. With the seats out you would have access to all of the footwells as a bonus.

Foot wells gone I basically have a flat floor , the idea was with tubs and crates it's all easy to remove rather than dedicated shelves then I get to use the available room at other times when not on the tracks .

FNQGU
30th May 2018, 08:02 AM
Guys, I am wondering if anyone might help me out with a very short questionaire? It would take about 5 mins of your time to answer 8 short questions. Basically I need some data for a conversation with the Accountants and it would help me out enormously.

Please PM me if you are willing and able.

Cheers in advance!
Ben

AB
30th May 2018, 04:54 PM
Mb was passing it around the office mate..

FNQGU
30th May 2018, 05:30 PM
Cheers mate - have got about 8 replies so far. Its been great but would love a few more.

These are the basic questions below - but if anyone response could you please respond to me via a cut and paste and a PM. I'll be happy to summarise all the input and put it up here for interest's sake if anyone is keen.

This is the link to the video showing the box if needed - https://openskytouring.com/

Quick Questionaire - Expedition Box

Q. Now that you have seen the Expedition Box prototype, are your initial impressions positive or negative?

Q. What features do you like the most?

Q. Are there any features that you do not like?

Q. Where would you use a box of this type?

Q. What would you use it for?

Q. Do you see any other areas for using this product?

Q. What would you see as the biggest competitor for the Expedition Box?

Q. What would you expect the Expedition box to cost?

Q. How many would you buy if you were to purchase the Expedition Box?

NissanGQ4.2
16th June 2018, 06:10 PM
I reckon you guys are on a winner with this product

A demo on how to use the tie-down points on the Expedition Box when securing it on a roof rack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZIqZqaKYhw&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZIqZqaKYhw

FNQGU
18th June 2018, 02:42 PM
Thanks mate - it is starting to feel very real now.

NissanGQ4.2
5th August 2018, 06:16 PM
Update on the Expedition Box from Ben

Exciting things happening - stay tuned for the pre-production sale announcement!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj-Ad2WpukQ

FNQGU
5th August 2018, 06:45 PM
Thanks Todd, much appreciated!

We smashed out about a hundred boxes in 3 different materials for final testing, and we'll be drinking beers in the bush doing this over the next few weeks to make the final decisions. Pretty sure we know which one we'll go for as a General Purpose box, but we are also testing a pretty advanced material that is super strong. Just not sure it will be worth it as yet but it is bloody tough. At the moment we are thinking through the idea of doing two products. One as a GP model and one as a Pro model with the advanced material.

The GP box is bloody tough though. We've had two blokes standing on the lid and it has held up. I've also stood full weight on the long side of the box and it has bounced back into form and held the seal. Drove a truck over one too, but it collapsed eventually. The factory guys reckon the advanced material will however cope with the weight of a vehicle which is something we are about to test for ourselves.

The glass reinforced version was my favourite, but had a couple of difficulties that came about from the stiffness.

Pricing is still the biggest question getting asked and we are really hoping to be able to make the GP model come in at around the hundred and ten dollar mark, give or take. Freight is a bitch though but we're trying our best to work something affordable and reasonable for everyone and let us send it Australia wide until we find possible retailers who are interested in selling it for us.

Our reckoning is that we'll kick of a discounted pre-production sale program as soon as we settle on the material and can nail the price.

Never done this before - it is first crack at making an idea a reality, so fingers crossed, and all feedback is welcome.

If anyone wants to follow the story or understand a bit more about it, we have a website (in my signature block) and a Facebook page providing updates. When we go live with sales there will be another page link that I'll post up for those interested.

MB
30th August 2018, 05:30 PM
Exciting times ahead, please do keep us posted on here Ben mate, Facebook I aint on :-)
In the midst of reconfiguring the old utes storage, many Rhino boxes seals all but gone and most hardware rivots have chewed out the LLDPE construction beyond upsizing fresh rivots!

FNQGU
30th August 2018, 09:39 PM
Just finished testing mate. Making a srengthening tweak to the latches as we speak (so they grab a bit better) and we're done.

If you are interested, you can log onto the website and get in early. www.expedition134.com, or via our blog website openskytouring.com and follow the link. Pre-order pricing at 89 bucks to help us hit our production target, then they'll be 109. We are going to cop the freight mostly and try to get them out with a $10 freight charge to anywhere in Aus. Might not be doable for the longer term, but see how it goes to start with.

I am about to write up a bit more on the testing and edit up another short video on how they turned out. Unfortunately, paid job gets in the way still so I'm back in the jungle for a few weeks.

A huge thanks to everyone on here for the suggestions and help. It has been a huge challenge, hopefully it hits the mark.

MB
30th August 2018, 09:53 PM
Awesome Ben, didn’t realise you were so product ready mate, my bad!
Not yanking your chain but work could truly utilise decent kits too mate. PM for a pallet QLD<>Vic discussion mate [emoji106]!

FNQGU
30th August 2018, 10:09 PM
Ha!, we're probably not, but gotta start somewhere. You just gave us a reason to say "now will do!"

If I could work out the trick to embedding video's so I don't have to rely on Toddie, I'll throw up the latest one. Just got to load it on YouTube and get a link first.

Pallet to Vic no worries. Will be a few weeks yet as we just 3D printed the new latch and are now modifying the injection mould.

MB
30th August 2018, 10:17 PM
Excellenty! No stress mate, but please do hurry upskis :-) Buggers might buy some more service van Rhino’s too :-(

Touses
31st August 2018, 07:25 AM
Book me in for a pallet as well FNQGU Pm me with the payment deets and we'll get it rolling.

MudRunnerTD
31st August 2018, 09:08 AM
i reckon id be keen on at lease a couple. maybe 3. Great Price IMO.

FNQGU
31st August 2018, 09:49 AM
Awesome, thanks guys.

You can order them at expedition134.com.

Touses, I'll PM you shortly.

Winnie
31st August 2018, 10:05 AM
Yes I will be keen for 2 of them for sure. Will put an order in in a couple of weeks.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

NissanGQ4.2
31st August 2018, 01:08 PM
If I could work out the trick to embedding video's so I don't have to rely on Toddie, I'll throw up the latest one. Just got to load it on YouTube and get a link first.

Congrats all at Open Sky Touring, don't worry about it Ben, I don't mind doing it at all. Sorry for being slack at not getting instructions 2 you, sometimes trying 2 explain something 2 someone else is actually harder than me just doing it myself :) I should have time this weekend 2 sit down and try a way of explaining it

Anyway considering my GQ is parked up at the moment :(, it kinda justifies me still been on here

Edit: Its actually easier than I though and I have been doing it the long hard way for years!!!! :)

NissanGQ4.2
31st August 2018, 01:57 PM
Ben, this is on a PC, let me know if you use a different posting method

Select the Insert video Icon seen in the below photo

Once selected, the below photo will display ( the "Enter your video clip url below" box will be empty, just used this as an example )

Open up your youtube video and copy the text in your browesrs address bar, then paste it into the box under "Enter your video clip URL below." then select ok.

The box will disappear and you will be back at your post with something like this entered onto the screen ( ingnore the text of HTML Code, will only see whats written in the box )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJy9Ly0c2Sw

Then add your text where ever like above or below that bit of text and just select "Submit Reply" like you normally would

Hope that makes some kinda sense

Cheers

Toddie

the evil twin
31st August 2018, 04:42 PM
Congrats on seeing it thru, Ben... and... more importantly...

How many to a Pallet?

FNQGU
31st August 2018, 04:56 PM
Thanks mate, nearly there!

Think it will end up with about 40 per pallet. Still got to pack one up properly though. There are a lot of finicky things to work through, but going ahead with it now.

Plasnart
31st August 2018, 06:41 PM
Well done mate. Really respect the effort you've gone through to get this project off the ground. Hope you sell stacks (excuse the pun)!

FNQGU
31st August 2018, 07:02 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHsOYCMHGN8

Here's a closer look.

Thanks Todd!

Avo
31st August 2018, 07:51 PM
Congrats on seeing it thru, Ben... and... more importantly...

How many to a Pallet?Are you going to be the wa supplier

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

MudRunnerTD
31st August 2018, 08:02 PM
I thought i wanted Black!! But ghee the grey looks swisho!! Hmmmmmm

Clunk
31st August 2018, 08:24 PM
Are you going to be the wa supplier

Sent from my SM-G930F using TapatalkGet a bulk buy for the WP club ?

FNQGU
31st August 2018, 08:27 PM
Tell me what you need Clunky and I'll make it happen.

Avo
31st August 2018, 08:38 PM
Get a bulk buy for the WP club ?Wossies n pussy what this wp club you spreaketh

Avo
31st August 2018, 08:40 PM
Tell me what you need Clunky and I'll make it happen.If a crate get to wa i want 3 hence me asking ET... trying to dave ya on postage to wa...that would kill ya mate.....

Clunk
31st August 2018, 08:42 PM
Tell me what you need Clunky and I'll make it happen.

I'm not in the club any more but Evil Twin is, so there maybe scope to do something there...... I've also passed on your website details to a guy I know who's in the caravan industry over here (hope you don't mind).

Clunk
31st August 2018, 08:50 PM
If a crate get to wa i want 3 hence me asking ET... trying to dave ya on postage to wa...that would kill ya mate.....

exactly, I'd probably take 3 too

the evil twin
31st August 2018, 10:54 PM
If a crate get to wa i want 3 hence me asking ET... trying to dave ya on postage to wa...that would kill ya mate.....

I'm not in the club any more but Evil Twin is, so there maybe scope to do something there...... I've also passed on your website details to a guy I know who's in the caravan industry over here (hope you don't mind).

Yeah, I was thinking along similar lines IE trying to sort out something so Ben doesn't get belted for freight in trying to keep a good price for each side of the country and having to send to, say, a dozen different addresses in WA when we could get a Pallet to one addy and split 'em up over here.

A pallet should be cheaper than a few skids or even individual units esp if they cube out the freight charges like most carriers will do.

FNQGU
1st September 2018, 04:44 AM
That'd be great. We've been thinking along these lines to try and find a WA re-seller.

Cheers ET, any thoughts most welcome.

MB
1st September 2018, 07:04 AM
Don’t know this mob personally Ben mate, just another possible logistics concept for you with many companies like this popping up Australia wide for your longer term plans.
http://www.theparcelpeople.com.au/new/services.php?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5PmgmJ2Y3QIVR3ZgCh3 NUwJNEAAYASAAEgJExvD_BwE
We’ve considered similar for our gear although ours are too bulky and slower moving blowing out savings on the storage fee side for us unfortunately.

Touses
1st September 2018, 10:12 AM
FNQGU drumming up some interest here. What was the eventual sizes LxWxD of the 65lt box?

FNQGU
1st September 2018, 11:23 AM
It's a general purpose 55 litre mate and the dimensions are 578 x 440 x 345.

I can PM you a brochure and all details are on the website too. openskytouring.com or Expedition134.com.

Touses
1st September 2018, 11:33 AM
It's a general purpose 55 litre mate and the dimensions are 578 x 440 x 345.

I can PM you a brochure and all details are on the website too. openskytouring.com or Expedition134.com.

My bad, thought design had changed to 65lt. Ta for the info.

Winnie
1st September 2018, 11:42 AM
I thought i wanted Black!! But ghee the grey looks swisho!! HmmmmmmYeah I wouldn't mind one of each to be honest for identification.

FNQGU
1st September 2018, 12:40 PM
The lids swap over too for easier ID of contents. Hoping to do a range of colours if we can get it off the ground.

MB
1st September 2018, 02:25 PM
Sounds whacky mate but ‘Pink’ or ‘Purple’ would send the Pony Clubs of Oz mothers tack box crazy [emoji23]!
Might know a bloke at ‘Horseland’ if you need an intro down the track [emoji106]

FNQGU
1st September 2018, 03:30 PM
Whatever works mate, whatever works...

MB
1st September 2018, 06:13 PM
Could work in theory mate, maybe being a little selfish me in thought though. PClub at 6:00am for us and I’d be in serious trouble with a box of black rum and frypans instead of bridles, girths & stirrups [emoji23]

AB
1st September 2018, 06:17 PM
A small congrats to old mate in becoming a sponsor on our forum, there may have been a sneaky agreement for one of his awesome boxes...lol

You might want to keep this thread going here mate and start up a whole new thread about your products and I can move it into the Vendors section or if you want this moved over let me know.

We all wish you the best mate!

NissanGQ4.2
1st September 2018, 06:42 PM
Thanks for becoming a vendor Ben and Open Sky Touring :)

Clunk
1st September 2018, 09:44 PM
Awesome stuff

FNQGU
3rd September 2018, 07:10 PM
A link to our official release post.

Would be mighty grateful for any sharing of the info if you know anyone else who might be interested. Our first goal is a heavily discounted sale price to make our production run target.

https://openskytouring.com/4wd-touring-tips/2018/08/expedition134-1st-production-run-and-pre-production-sale/

To those who have asked about pallets, I've got the inquiry underway as to exactly how many will fit and will get back to you as soon as I can.

the evil twin
8th September 2018, 06:00 PM
Clunk Avo and any other WA dudes who are happy to help out Ben by saving him having to spend a gazillion on freight to individual addresses in WA.

Ben and I had a PM exchange and he is happy if you confirm how many you want by PM to me, I'll order the total plus a few extra and we will split up the order here in Perth.

At the moment I have;
Clunk 3,
Avo 3,
me 8 (incl Patrol Club so far)

MB
8th September 2018, 06:33 PM
Same same for any more Vic blokes interested out there, split up pallet from Yarra Valley being finalised in coming weeks.
Winnie & MudRunnerTD if you can confirm numbers and colours soonish we can tack yours onto ours.

Winnie
8th September 2018, 06:53 PM
Same same for any more Vic blokes interested out there, split up pallet from Yarra Valley being finalised in coming weeks.
Winnie & MudRunnerTD if you can confirm numbers and colours soonish we can tack yours onto ours.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkI will have one of each colour Mark

DX grunt
9th September 2018, 03:09 AM
Yeah, I was thinking along similar lines IE trying to sort out something so Ben doesn't get belted for freight in trying to keep a good price for each side of the country and having to send to, say, a dozen different addresses in WA when we could get a Pallet to one addy and split 'em up over here.

A pallet should be cheaper than a few skids or even individual units esp if they cube out the freight charges like most carriers will do.

the evil twin Avo FNQGU

As I'm about 4hrs from Perth and don't get there very much, I've just ordered 8 off Ben. Mine should be a good test run for the cost of freight.

On a different issue but along the same lines, I've lost a lot of sleep over how much to charge people and remain commercially viable.

Rossco

DX grunt
9th September 2018, 03:17 AM
Clunk Avo and any other WA dudes who are happy to help out Ben by saving him having to spend a gazillion on freight to individual addresses in WA.

Ben and I had a PM exchange and he is happy if you confirm how many you want by PM to me, I'll order the total plus a few extra and we will split up the order here in Perth.

At the moment I have;
Clunk 3,
Avo 3,
me 8 (incl Patrol Club so far)

the evil twin FNQGU

Sorry ET, missed this post and ordered 8 via the website.

If Ben wants to add me to this (your) list for my already paid for boxes, I'm happy to save him the extra in separate postage.

If this is the go, my delivery address will have to be changed from Merredin to ????????

Rossco

FNQGU
9th September 2018, 07:47 AM
Don't worry about it guys. Once it is in the system already, it might as well just stay there.

Cheers
Ben

FNQGU
9th September 2018, 07:50 AM
Just for the interest of those discussing pallets, the manufacturer reckons max on a pallet is 40, but we can reduce numbers easily enough. I haven't physically stacked and packed one yet though so won't know for sure until we do.

Ben

DX grunt
9th September 2018, 08:04 AM
Don't worry about it guys. Once it is in the system already, it might as well just stay there.

Cheers
Ben
FNQGU

Sorry Ben. I didn't see the bulk order post before I ordered.

Rossco

FNQGU
9th September 2018, 08:27 AM
All good Rossco,

Driving 4hrs to split a pallet up is a big ask anyway. Order is in so it will head your way direct.

Cheers and thanks for the support.

Ben

Clunk
9th September 2018, 12:11 PM
All good Rossco,

Driving 4hrs to split a pallet up is a big ask anyway. Order is in so it will head your way direct.

Cheers and thanks for the support.

BenIt's all bitumen anyway so he won't have any panic attacks about having to go offroad

Touses
9th September 2018, 01:56 PM
It's all bitumen anyway so he won't have any panic attacks about having to go offroad

Yeah and be a nice bit of driving experience for the current rodent err student into the bargain.

Avo
9th September 2018, 05:58 PM
Clunk

Clunk, if I lived closer I'd ........................PML. hahahahaDo it now he's all vulnerable

Clunk
9th September 2018, 06:02 PM
Clunk

Clunk, if I lived closer I'd ........................PML. hahahahaYeah that would be right.... Have a pop at someone who's just come out of hospital...... You're such a bully [emoji12]

Avo
9th September 2018, 06:11 PM
Yeah that would be right.... Have a pop at someone who's just come out of hospital...... You're such a bully [emoji12]Lol princess.....i cant wait to run the led strips off ya instead of glo sticks...your so much more fun now

Clunk
9th September 2018, 06:25 PM
Lol princess.....i cant wait to run the led strips off ya instead of glo sticks...your so much more fun now

Sent from my SM-G930F using TapatalkAnd don't forget about pluging me in to Stropps car to get it started for him

DX grunt
9th September 2018, 07:14 PM
Yeah that would be right.... Have a pop at someone who's just come out of hospital...... You're such a bully [emoji12]

Sorry to hear you were sick, Clunk. The bush telegraph didn't get the message to me.

Get well soon.

Rossco

Avo
9th September 2018, 07:21 PM
Sorry to hear you were sick, Clunk. The bush telegraph didn't get the message to me.

Get well soon.

RosscoHe's always been sic..just this time it aint his head or his 5houghts

NissanGQ4.2
10th September 2018, 04:08 PM
This thread is now in the Vendors thread if anyone is looking for it

Cheers

Toddie

FNQGU
14th September 2018, 01:42 PM
For those who have ordered, here is a short video showing how to get the lids on and off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yK_DYlGeHSk&list=PLBm4bvp50b29YeN7GrGZzRWGiSIPu8C1D&index=3

FNQGU
9th October 2018, 06:32 AM
The tie-down points will work with ratchet straps, ropes up to 12mm, bungee cords, and even steel turnbuckles. You can’t tell me you’ve never wanted to tie down a good Aussie box!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=208zyQHhCiY&feature=youtu.be

Should mention, we are locked in now for the Production run this coming Friday (12th October) but the special pre-order price will hold until the 17th as we first listed. Nice to be running ahead of schedule for a change.

Avo
20th October 2018, 04:43 PM
Very excited....i otdered a couple for me n one for the farm....i reckon theyll go perfectly on the can ams or the kubotas goofers or what ever they called...n

FNQGU
21st October 2018, 07:14 PM
Got 25 pallet loads hot out of the moulds to play with. Home from work tomorrow to get stuck into sorting and sending!

Thanks for all the support with this guys.

Got a couple of Gov't orders too! All marine parks and boating. Exciting stuff!

Clunk
21st October 2018, 07:21 PM
Very excited....i otdered a couple for me n one for the farm....i reckon theyll go perfectly on the can ams or the kubotas goofers or what ever they called...n

Sent from my SM-G930F using TapatalkYep me too... Will get yours when I pick up mine from ET [emoji2]

Avo
21st October 2018, 08:12 PM
Yep me too... Will get yours when I pick up mine from ET [emoji2]Thanks CLUNTY

MB
21st October 2018, 08:23 PM
Yep me too... Will get yours when I pick up mine from ET [emoji2]

Mexican orders re-routed West and bulk delivery coin save too I says please Clunkstar! Ship em all to E.T and Clunk will kindly hit the Nullabor week after next East Bound 110kmph good man ;-)

MudRunnerTD
21st October 2018, 10:29 PM
What state are these being made in? Shipped from?

MB
21st October 2018, 10:45 PM
Your ones are coming via the Cane train old mate :-)

FNQGU
21st October 2018, 11:31 PM
What state are these being made in? Shipped from?

Brisy mate. Queensland’s capital. Known for its youthful zeal, charming vibe and 280 days of sun a year. Also known as the HQ (aka Lang Park) for smashing the Blues for a million years!

MudRunnerTD
22nd October 2018, 06:52 AM
Brisy mate. Queensland’s capital. Known for its youthful zeal, charming vibe and 280 days of sun a year. Also known as the HQ (aka Lang Park) for smashing the Blues for a million years!

Awesome. I only asked as i saw the chatter about gettimg them across the nullaboor. My work has just sent 2 trucks acroas from vic for a big Mines Job and 1 could be coming back empty and i might have been able to get a couple of pallets back for you. All good. Cant wait!! Thinking i might need a couple for the back of the GQ too now.

MB
23rd October 2018, 09:17 PM
We Mexicans honestly can’t wait for your well designed boxes to arrive down South soon Ben mate!
Real time video below, complete cockup performance :-)
https://youtu.be/d1uEAbIOSno
Old Blue Dog passed near through on the final rope release fail before plastic crap explosion :-)
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/10/552.jpg

Plasnart
23rd October 2018, 09:22 PM
We Mexicans honestly can’t wait for your well designed boxes to arrive down South soon Ben mate!
Real time video below, complete cockup performance :-)
https://youtu.be/d1uEAbIOSno
Old Blue Dog passed near through on the final rope release fail before plastic crap explosion :-)
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/10/552.jpg

Show us the drop MB don't leave me hanging!

Woof
24th October 2018, 05:51 PM
Please keep this thread on track, we value our Vendors and will not tolerate childish behavior

FNQGU
27th October 2018, 05:50 AM
A quick update for those who have supported us and placed orders – as we don’t have our own warehouse, or office (or even a coffee machine), we are using a 3rd Party specialist to handle all the logistics. In a nutshell, we have 25 pallets of black and grey boxes, lids and latches in their warehouse about to start shipping. The seals have all been installed into the lids and everything has now been entered into the stock system.

Nic is now entering the individual order details into the system from our end. These orders then get picked and packed into a carton and collected by the freight company to deliver it to your door starting Monday.

When your order arrives, you’ll need to assemble them and a short video on how to do it can be found on our website here (https://openskytouring.com/4wd-touring-tips/2018/09/expedition134-how-to-assemble-your-new-expedition-box/), or in the video section on our Facebook page.

Thinking about your next trip, or a gift for someone for Christmas? Look no further!

Avo
27th October 2018, 10:24 PM
A quick update for those who have supported us and placed orders – as we don’t have our own warehouse, or office (or even a coffee machine), we are using a 3rd Party specialist to handle all the logistics. In a nutshell, we have 25 pallets of black and grey boxes, lids and latches in their warehouse about to start shipping. The seals have all been installed into the lids and everything has now been entered into the stock system.

Nic is now entering the individual order details into the system from our end. These orders then get picked and packed into a carton and collected by the freight company to deliver it to your door starting Monday.

When your order arrives, you’ll need to assemble them and a short video on how to do it can be found on our website here (https://openskytouring.com/4wd-touring-tips/2018/09/expedition134-how-to-assemble-your-new-expedition-box/), or in the video section on our Facebook page.

Thinking about your next trip, or a gift for someone for Christmas? Look no further!Cheers matey....cant wait...

FNQGU
30th October 2018, 07:16 PM
Guys, we are now at the point of planning our second production run! Sold 60 boxes today (hell yeah!) and suddenly we are thinking we need to re-stock as Christmas is coming and the production guys get flat out with other stuff at this time of year. We are also thinking a change of colours is in the wind. We've had overwhelming requests for the drab olive colour we used on some of our prototypes, and also the Safety Orange but what would you like to see in a range of colours?

Clunk
2nd November 2018, 09:45 AM
Aubergeine

Cremulator
2nd November 2018, 11:14 AM
I really like the safety orange & drab olive, but I think an azure blue would look great.76783

Cremulator
2nd November 2018, 11:59 AM
Ohhhh, look what just turned up at the door!
I'm very happy, the box has exceeded my expectations.
Well done Ben.
Ash76784

mudnut
2nd November 2018, 12:29 PM
Camo, that way people will leave they're box behind and will have to buy new ones:)

PeeBee
2nd November 2018, 01:17 PM
I like the drab olive, maybe a dark-ish/mid blue and mid grey.

Clunk
2nd November 2018, 08:54 PM
what I would like and will hopefully be available at a later date..... is to be able to order different coloured lids for the boxes already purchased.

A nice bright yellow box would be good too...... also a light green along with colours already suggested

MB
2nd November 2018, 09:15 PM
Tis honestly endless, marketing wise focus staged best good man!
Pony Clubs of Australia (example) and or similar (poochy clubs) would go Mothers Batpoo for Hot Pink-Purple IMO :-)

Avo
3rd November 2018, 12:05 AM
what I would like and will hopefully be available at a later date..... is to be able to order different coloured lids for the boxes already purchased.

A nice bright yellow box would be good too...... also a light green along with colours already suggestedYou just being difficult agian crunk

Avo
3rd November 2018, 12:05 AM
Camo, that way people will leave they're box behind and will have to buy new ones:)You idiot... ut a clever one

AB
3rd November 2018, 04:40 AM
Looking forward to getting my box mate, haven't had a good box in many years :)

Clunk
3rd November 2018, 11:08 AM
You just being difficult agian crunk

Sent from my SM-G930F using TapatalkNot at all, just like having stuff colour coded..... Which is odd coming from a colourblind person [emoji2]

Clunk
3rd November 2018, 11:10 AM
Looking forward to getting my box mate, haven't had a good box in many years :)Me too, can't wait to fill them with me ticky tackys

FNQGU
4th November 2018, 08:34 AM
Thanks Guys,

Hopefully the boxes are arriving or have arrived for you. Sing out if you had any issues with logistics or problems with using them too. I am aware of some carton damage in transit so if this happens to you, and there is any damage to the box itself, please let me know.

There has also been some issues (let's call them communication challenges) with our packaging and logistics people that I am aware of. Hopefully won't happen again in the future but may have stuffed up the way larger orders were sent. Touses, ET etc. let me know if everything arrives ok if you will.

The Drab Olive and Safety Orange are winning the Facebook poll so far as next colours however we might also be influenced to include a Desert Tan to help out an Aussie business trying to crack a certain market. Blue, red and Pony Club specials hopefully soon.

Clunk - we also will make lids available as single item orders once we have a few colours in stock.

Cheers again, we've nearly sold out of this first production run. Any pics and comments will be gratefully received as feedback.

Touses
4th November 2018, 11:29 AM
Ditto on the Desert Tan. Only prob I can see with it is dirt/ discolouring.
If you go with it I'll give it a crack!!

the evil twin
4th November 2018, 11:50 AM
Desert Tan and Pilbara Red would prob be popular over here... or... safety orange if you want to be able to see the suckers if you put 'em on the ground :-)

threedogs
6th November 2018, 01:41 PM
Hi might have already been suggested ,, thinking a lift out tray maybe handy for some,
I like ACU digital, or may be woodlands???

FNQGU
7th November 2018, 09:56 PM
One of the things that inspired this project was this. I am sure that anyone who has ever used similar boxes knows the problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xr4rRTCOps&feature=youtu.be

the evil twin
7th November 2018, 10:45 PM
Next Vid, I reckon get an "expo" box and an "other" box side by side and toss a shovel of sand in both and do a "get the sand out" challenge

DX grunt
8th November 2018, 02:32 PM
Thanks guys.

The boxes arrived on my front doorstep this morning.

Cheers.

Rossco

Avo
8th November 2018, 02:39 PM
Thanks guys.

The boxes arrived on my front doorstep this morning.

Cheers.

RosscoYou got special delivery hey Rossco

the evil twin
8th November 2018, 02:54 PM
You got special delivery hey Rossco

Freighter probably dropped them off on the way past (thats my story and I'm sticking to it)... ours are still tracking as "in transit"

NissanGQ4.2
8th November 2018, 04:45 PM
Next Vid, I reckon get an "expo" box and an "other" box side by side and toss a shovel of sand in both and do a "get the sand out" challenge

I'll put my tongue out for getting the sand out of the "other" box on the beach as long as she is a hottie

DX grunt
8th November 2018, 05:02 PM
Freighter probably dropped them off on the way past (thats my story and I'm sticking to it)... ours are still tracking as "in transit"

I thought about that the evil twin. lol

I bet they initially drove straight past my door and dropped it off on a 'back load'. PML.

Maxhead
8th November 2018, 06:15 PM
Got me box today, thanks Ben!
It’s an absolute ripper...must get another[emoji106]

MB
8th November 2018, 07:18 PM
Winnie as discussed & MudRunnerTD as per message left our Southern delivery has arrived, thanks again from us all down here Ben mate :-) !
Great boxes, to be honest they are as expected, bloody awesome, Cheers!!
Just need your final numbers/colours MRTD so Rossco can kindly deliver tomorrow evening [emoji106][emoji106]

MudRunnerTD
8th November 2018, 07:42 PM
Winnie as discussed & MudRunnerTD as per message left our Southern delivery has arrived, thanks again from us all down here Ben mate :-) !
Great boxes, to be honest they are as expected, bloody awesome, Cheers!!
Just need your final numbers/colours MRTD so Rossco can kindly deliver tomorrow evening [emoji106][emoji106]

Oh wow!!! Can AB bring 1 of each colour on thr weekend so we can check them out mate.

AB
8th November 2018, 08:09 PM
Oh wow!!! Can AB bring 1 of each colour on thr weekend so we can check them out mate.

I'm not looking good for this weekend mate, long story as you know.

Touch base with Rossco for a certain delivery of orders mate.

FNQGU
8th November 2018, 10:00 PM
Thanks again blokes for the support on this. I really hope they make a difference. From go to whoa, we were really only thinking about ourselves and what we were sick of putting up with. No doubt these things aren't perfect - life is a compromise with everything, but hopefully there is quality in this, and it lasts as long as we all expect shit to last.

I would really like to see some pics of the boxes being used too. No bloody snakes in it though Cuppa!

Avo
9th November 2018, 12:05 AM
Thanks again blokes for the support on this. I really hope they make a difference. From go to whoa, we were really only thinking about ourselves and what we were sick of putting up with. No doubt these things aren't perfect - life is a compromise with everything, but hopefully there is quality in this, and it lasts as long as we all expect shit to last.

I would really like to see some pics of the boxes being used too. No bloody snakes in it though Cuppa!I really hate being southern Mexican

Cuppa
9th November 2018, 10:45 AM
No bloody snakes in it though Cuppa!

I'll try :) but there could be a lot more around by the time it finds it's way around the continent. Was sent on 31st Oct, Northline's Tracking currently still shows 'Picked Up', but not yet 'In Transit'.

Touses
9th November 2018, 02:26 PM

Mine just arrived. Pays to know the transport operator. "In transit" tracking is done by phone.

Me " When are you bringing those feckin boxes Pete?"

Transport mate "Ahh, fer fecks sake they only just turned up in the depot!"

Me "So tomorrow then mate?"

Transport mate " Unintelligble gurgling, sounds of apoplectic fit"

Me "You're a champ mate, Ta!"

Transport?? Easy peasy! ;)

mudnut
9th November 2018, 02:35 PM
Look what turned up today.

threedogs
9th November 2018, 02:43 PM
PM sent hopes it works out, Im excited about it.

threedogs
9th November 2018, 04:31 PM

As for the rest, yes, we are on the same page.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/06/166.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/VAYQEN)Notches (https://flic.kr/p/VAYQEN) by Ben Kincade (https://www.flickr.com/photos/147529924@N07/),

Ben

This colour please Ben

the evil twin
9th November 2018, 05:57 PM
Look what turned up today.

Let me guess... "followed you home from work and now you want to keep it?" (nice crate it is sitting on by the way)

FNQGU
10th November 2018, 08:28 AM
This colour please Ben

Yeah, the proper desert tan colour. It is a popular request. Australian Expedition Vehicles in Townsville have also asked for this specific colour to drop in their 6WD Military vehicles. We are likely going to experiment a bit to get it just right. Check this thing out - just a part of what they do.

Cuppa
10th November 2018, 09:50 AM
Was sent on 31st Oct, Northline's Tracking currently still shows 'Picked Up', but not yet 'In Transit'.

Woohoo!, now I'm excited. As of today tracking shows 'In Transit'. :)

FNQGU
10th November 2018, 01:00 PM
Woohoo!, now I'm excited. As of today tracking shows 'In Transit'. :)

Well you would go and stop on the other side of the continent!

threedogs
10th November 2018, 01:13 PM
FNQGU All done Ben now hoping it works out.
Now to sit on my Verandah and wait, lol

FNQGU
10th November 2018, 01:22 PM
We'll send it Monday mate. Thanks again!

Winnie
10th November 2018, 08:33 PM
Had a good look at them today, unreal how well you've done mate. Darren and I were comparing at supercheap today and nothing came close.
Nice bit of product placement on the label!
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/11/67.jpg

FNQGU
11th November 2018, 08:31 AM
Haha - yeah, AB's wheel bag got a look in. Had the rum goggles on when I took that photo too. Had been a long day of driving and we pulled up in one of the old road quarries for the night.

Thanks for the feedback. Be great to get some photos of the boxes being used and any comments on how they go. We were sent a nice video by a bloke on Facebook yesterday giving them the big thumbs up. He had tied them down on the slide on his drawers beside the fridge. Looked like they sat there really nicely too.

MB
11th November 2018, 02:07 PM
Just had a quick shuffle around with 3 x boxes in the back of the family wagon. Have been meaning to get rid of the Titan 80+kg drawers for a while.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/11/68.jpg
They do sit perfectly atop of the Titan fridge slide though, even with the Waeco CF80L on the right.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/11/69.jpg
Just can’t quite slide it all the way out with the 3rd rear one on top but thinking only two in the back will be fine for us for now. Others can go up top on the racks [emoji106]

FNQGU
11th November 2018, 02:27 PM
Thanks mate, looks good.

This is another bloke with one in his 80 series.

Cuppa
15th November 2018, 09:05 PM
Got mine today. I knew it'd be a good'un, but it's actually way more solid than I had thought it would be. Thanks Ben.

Pic of my wife showing that aside from storage the box will easily replace the folding step I carry to make access to the Patrol's engine compartment easier.

Could double as a fishing box. Ha ha!

But it's main purpose is for storage of Kitchen gear. Carried in the rear of the Tvan, where the folded tent (in the Tvan's rear door) hods it securely in place, but is placed outside on the ground alongside the slide out kitchen at every camp. Stays out over night, & now we no longer have the need to ocky strap a lid on to keep a variety of outback critters from our gear. Could've promoted it as a 'dingo proof box'! :)

Clunk
15th November 2018, 09:58 PM
Got ours yesterday. Have to say, very impressed indeed. Reinforcing under the rim, bloody tough product whick should hopefully take some punishment.

Tested the weight baring by standing on one of Avo and I can say they hold 115kg easy. They're a good height for sittimg on or using as a foot stool.

The missus mentioned she'd like some wheels on them to make it nice n easy to move under tables etc.

the evil twin
15th November 2018, 10:21 PM
Got ours yesterday. Have to say, very impressed indeed. Reinforcing under the rim, bloody tough product whick should hopefully take some punishment.

Tested the weight baring by standing on one of Avo and I can say they hold 115kg easy. They're a good height for sittimg on or using as a foot stool.

The missus mentioned she'd like some wheels on them to make it nice n easy to move under tables etc.

I resisted the urge to fill one of yours with Cow Poo so you got back some of the shit you've been giving the rest of us... glad I did as you would have just given it to Avo.

Seriously tho, they are a decent bit of Kit eh mate

Avo
15th November 2018, 11:30 PM
I resisted the urge to fill one of yours with Cow Poo so you got back some of the shit you've been giving the rest of us... glad I did as you would have just given it to Avo.

Seriously tho, they are a decent bit of Kit eh mateYou,d need a big box of shit to beat all the crap he,s dished out....and rhank you

MudRunnerTD
15th November 2018, 11:31 PM
Yes i also commented that i can leave the milk crate at home now. Normally i carry my cooking gear in a Milk crate and use it for maintenance on the track to stand on when working under the bonnet. These boxes take my 130kegs easily.

The Latches were tough to function but i kept the lid shut for a bit to bed int eh wicked seal and its good as gold. Tough bit of kit.

They are a little smaller than i expected but in hindsight i think they are actually a perfect size for what we really need them for. Those pics that MB has of them in the back of the GU are a great representation of what a great size they are. Fit perfectly. When full they can be managed with easy. Solid construction with a strong lid, strong latches and robust shell. No Lost space from a bulking lip like the Space Cases. Winner.

FNQGU
16th November 2018, 12:08 AM
Cheers guys, great feedback. Love seeing these things being used and and abused. They should be tough as nails and last a bloody long time.

If anyone is finding that seal too damn good, we are working with Gore Industries on a pressure equalisation valve for the back wall in the middle where that little recess is. We had planned on this but were thinking we'd put valves in from factory on a possible next even tougher version, but it could be needed with these too. Especially if hitting the high country or similar. If you do decide you want a valve then let me know, it is simply a matter of drilling a half inch hole and then buying the valve and inserting. They have a lock nut and o-ring seal and so far with testing they have been rock solid and work really well.

the evil twin
16th November 2018, 11:08 AM
Funny you mention pressure equalisation... a couple of dudes from an "un-named" Gov dept over here mentioned it too me yesterday.

Like my mob they often send stuff a long distance and we can get a significant difference in internal pressure at the destination.

A Gore Valve would certainly be worth exploring BUT I would be VERY wary of changing the lid seal.
That is currently one of the major advantages you have over the "budget box" competition.

IMHO you have, at the moment, a premium product at well under the price point of any similar competitor "if it aint broke don't fix it".
Well thought out minor tweaks are allowed but not on Friday!!!
Murphy's 37th Law says "Anything that you change or any idea you implement on Friday is guaranteed to go pear shaped approximately 5 minutes before you planned to knock off for the weekend"
(which is why all I do on Fridays is play Solitaire, surf the Web and push everything to do with work to Monday)

Murphy's 38th Law says "Anything that goes per shaped due to Law 37 on a Friday which precedes a long weekend will also require further unpaid overtime attendance on Saturday"

threedogs
18th November 2018, 04:59 PM
Mine arrived Friday safe and sound, great size IMHO.
Must buy it a mate now LOL

FNQGU
18th November 2018, 08:33 PM
Thanks TD. Glad you like it.

@ET, don't worry, wasn't thinking about changing that seal. Took us months of testing to get that one. A very frustrating experience and it is custom made, which also hurt the wallet. It is staying.

We are still testing the Goretex equalisation valves but they are looking good. Dunking them in the river overnight didn't phase them and the test box has been strapped to Macka's (my business partner) roof rack for months now and is working perfectly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMWtBSYNuPY&feature=youtu.be

MB
18th November 2018, 09:10 PM
Must say Ben mate, we all bought a few for needed work maintenance vans too as you know. Amazing how the younger crew complain about initial brand new “hard to click down closed”
Their boss (top bloke) reckons he aint seen anything like them, even through his years of Canadian Snow Plowing external mount similars.
He did suggest that the seals were so good that in ‘off use’ (shelved waiting) might be smart to keep lids open to keep plump seals, sounds fair maybe?

FNQGU
18th November 2018, 09:20 PM
Mark he's dead right. If the boxes are left locked down for lengthy periods the seal will compress and the lids will feel easy to close and latch. In our testing though, even just opening them for a night before a trip will see a huge rebound effect and they will sit up proud again. That said, it doesn't deteriorate the ingression factor. We've had a prototype locked down for months now and it still keeps a directed garden hose type water pressure out.

The difficulty in latching them in daily use scenarios will quickly ease as the seal conforms.

Before a big trip into the dust or rain, you could just leave them open for a bit of rebound therapy and it will let the compound rebound quite a bit.

threedogs
19th November 2018, 01:57 PM
MB been saying it for years about carting around 80kg of drawers empty.
There $1000 plus you could put towards an E-locker or Pro locker.
Save buying an overpriced drop down fridge thingy as well.
A well thought out cargo barrier to house these boxes nice and snug
would be my choice. being able to sit on them is a bonus or small table?
Ill be putting a name plate of some description on each as I get more..
square stacks better than round thats why my billy is suqare lol
I previously had wooden boxes specially made of differring sizes

AB
19th November 2018, 06:39 PM
As above I took my drawers out a while ago and have been running crates for a while.

Just took these boxes on the weekend and it was a dream.

Everything packed in perfectly and could leave it outside no problem.

As above, but the GQ rear is tight so adding drawers kills a third of your space and doesn't leave much for other things you need to carry at times.

On the weekend when getting wood was easy to just throw it in the back rather than the roof.

Love the boxes mate!!!

Avo
22nd November 2018, 10:19 PM
So from the eastern state to perth...ET then Clunk onto MBTD42 i should have my boxes this weekend..love how the forum
Works..... 2 for camping one for thw farm....getting all excited me is

the evil twin
22nd November 2018, 10:24 PM
snip....getting all excited me is

Well, at least we get to see how stain resistant they are I spose...

Avo
22nd November 2018, 10:35 PM
Well, at least we get to see how stain resistant they are I spose...Oh gezzers....forgot about thw gezzer....high pressure hose n a good uv light should see me right

FNQGU
24th November 2018, 10:09 AM
Bit of an update -

Good news - starting to get some retailers on board now.

Taylors Marine in Perth is on-board and we just sent them some stock. Dave Littlejohn is the bloke to ask for there.

Oceanic Agencies on the Sunny Coast now has them too and is supplying them into the Commercial fishing and prawning fleets.

FNQ Plastics and Decked Out Fabrication in Cairns are also on-board with stock.

The local TJM bloke in Cairns owns stores in Mackay, Mt Isa, Townsvill and Darwin, and is keen to get them in. We are talking with them this week to see what can be done for stock numbers.

And of course TOUSES from this forum, has them in Childers! Thanks again mate for the support and early faith in the idea.

The next production run will be as soon as we can get the custom seal sorted again and cut it all to the correct size. Yep, that is done by hand, by us, unfortunately...

At the moment we will do the Drab Olive colour, the Safety Orange and some more Grey. Still working to get the Desert Tan correct and having to do a lot of waiting on samples. It is a finnicky one to get just right despite providing colour codes.

There has been some great feedback coming in. Really loving to hear this and it sure helps to spread the word or convince a retailer to take a look when we are able to show them what is being said. Huge thanks for this guys!

NissanGQ4.2
24th November 2018, 01:57 PM
Bit of an update -

Good news - starting to get some retailers on board now.

I passed on a link 2 your website and FB page 2 a mate that owns a gun shop last night, hopefully something will come of it

FNQGU
24th November 2018, 02:35 PM
I passed on a link 2 your website and FB page 2 a mate that owns a gun shop last night, hopefully something will come of it

Cheers mate, very much appreciated.

MB - a horsie person from Cuzzybro land wants them in your suggested colours of pink and purple too. So you aren't on your lonesome afterall.

Avo
24th November 2018, 05:50 PM
Cheers all involved ...very happy n satisfied... special mention to ET CLUNK N MBTD42
Its been a long journey but they made it...whatva great forum....n cheers FNQGU great producthttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/11/171.jpg

Cremulator
28th November 2018, 04:44 PM
We took our box away camping last weekend and it was great. The wife loved it to pack food into. It seals like a giant Tupperware container. She really praised it.
I can't wait for the next production run. I'll definitely be getting one of each of the new colours.http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/11/192.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/11/193.jpg

FNQGU
28th November 2018, 07:39 PM
Cheers guys - great news. Glad you like them.

We've put in the PO for another run and are now waiting for the machines to be available. Colours are the drab olive and the safety orange this time around and we are hoping they will be available to ship before Christmas too.

FNQ plastics in Cairns is running a two box give-away competition on Facebook too if anyone is in that neck of the woods and wants to enter.