PDA

View Full Version : Quick setup family tents

89gqpatrol4x4
25th November 2016, 05:13 PM
Default Quick set up tent for family?
Does anyone have any experience with quick set up tents that don't cost $1000 plus?
We're doing the cape again next year and don't want to take the camper. We could borrow another double swag but would that work for a three year old and 18 month old child? Also thinking the tent might be good for say Moreton and straddle trips as the trailer makes it quite expensive! Especially Moreton.
Cheers Rob

Rock Trol
25th November 2016, 06:09 PM
I use the Oztent RV3 which I picked up from Snowys in October for $800 (on sale). I used to have a RV4 for a couple of years before buying camper. These tents are fast to put up and down and also have an awning which makes them very handy. My RV4 survived very high winds in the Flinders Ranges and Whyalla without any damage. They where just a little noisy as the canvas slaps the aluminium frame.

I know they are very close to your $1000 mark but they are good tents especially with the 2.4 x 2 metre awning. Snowys have the RV3 for $919 and the RV4 for $1039.

https://www.snowys.com.au/camping-tents#/specFilters=5m!#-!86

89gqpatrol4x4
25th November 2016, 06:15 PM
The main reason I don't want to spend heaps is we have a camper trailer and a swag. More than likely as the kids get older they'll
Have there own swags for those remote and expensive( with s trailer) destinations!
The other thing is what do people do for bedding? We have a self inflating mattress but is big and what for the kids?
At least with the swag mattress is already their, but then they are big themselves!

Clunk
25th November 2016, 06:21 PM
I've got no idea on what the quality of these is like but on special at Anaconda at the mo.

https://www.anacondastores.com/camping-hiking/tents/camping-tents/coleman-instant-up-6-person-tent/p/BP90097474

I've got one of these, great for my family of five, but the cost of them has increased substantially since I bought mine. I paid around $500 on special and at the time RRP was $900

https://www.anacondastores.com/camping-hiking/tents/family-tents/dune-eyre-plus-tent/p/BP90043421

MudRunnerTD
25th November 2016, 06:26 PM
I have a Camper Trailer too. For remote Outback I use an RV4 OzTent and it's awesome. Easy to live in. Easy to set and pack. Is water proof with the fly. Rate it highly. But you will need a roof rack as its 2m long.

89gqpatrol4x4
25th November 2016, 06:33 PM
Got a full length rack, so no worries there, but obviously want to maximise available room

89gqpatrol4x4
25th November 2016, 06:36 PM
Thanks, the Coleman doesn't look bad. But what are people using for beds? Don't forget they will be 3 and 18 months

89gqpatrol4x4
25th November 2016, 06:37 PM
The kids that is

Clunk
25th November 2016, 06:44 PM
self inflating mats all round

BigRAWesty
25th November 2016, 06:49 PM
Our tent is the Outdoor Connections Bedarra.
2 room setup, bloody good quality.
About a 15 min setup for the tent. It's the rest of the shoit that takes an hour lol..
We used air beds.
Queen for us and 2 singles for the girls and all have quality sleeping bags..
Easily sleeps the 4 of us in the big end room, not much floor space left but we're in, which leaves the front as a dress room..
2m tall inside, it has 7 poles and that's it for the main tent..
Weights 40kg and rolls up to the size of a single swag..
That's in on the rack
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/11/210.jpg
And that's the best shot I can find atm..
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/11/211.jpg
From memory about $550..

89gqpatrol4x4
25th November 2016, 07:11 PM
Yeah there good but bulky. And do you have weather proof bags for them?

jay see
25th November 2016, 07:13 PM
Thanks, the Coleman doesn't look bad. But what are people using for beds? Don't forget they will be 3 and 18 months
We use to have a 6x3 3 room done tent and when that crapped itself (after 8 years if bush camping) we brought two of the Coleman instead up4 tents.
My kids are older so they set up and sleep in one and the Mrs and I in the other. We've got one of the 1/2 metre high queen mattress and still have enough room for bags. Kids have a double and a single from memory and it takes up the whole floor area.
Quick easy set up even by yourself and no trouble getting anything back in the bag.

89gqpatrol4x4
25th November 2016, 07:15 PM
Cheers westy, that's quite a weighty tent, but looks quite big though

Clunk
25th November 2016, 07:56 PM
https://www.anacondastores.com/camping-hiking/tents/camping-tents/dune-eyre-tent/p/BP90043420

10x10 foot version of mine and on special right now, probably suit a family of 4 nicely......... still more than what I paid for mine but not a bad price all the same

89gqpatrol4x4
25th November 2016, 08:08 PM
Thanks for the link clunk

BigRAWesty
25th November 2016, 09:00 PM
Cheers westy, that's quite a weighty tent, but looks quite big though
Yea the weight of the fabrics is noticeably thicker than so your kmart tents, thus heavier..
Pvc base and up the sides a bit so it's got a good water resistant qualities..

threedogs
26th November 2016, 04:19 PM
Dont think Id ever use a lilo or air bed again sucks too much cold air as we know
A 3/4 self inflater is my latest choice and I find it very comfortable.
Those 30 sec tents seem to be the rage lately only down side is you need a roof rack.
if going to the Cape ensure all zips close when I went it was "snake heaven"

Hodge
26th November 2016, 04:30 PM
Oztent RV4. Say no more. Can be had for sub $900. Check snowy's camp website.
Best quick setup tent hands down.

gubigfish
26th November 2016, 04:47 PM
I've got a Blackwolf Turbo 300 which I managed to use Anaconda's beat it by 10% to get the best price. Luckily the BCF down the road had one and it was heaps cheaper than Anaconda, saved another $100 odd dollars off what BCF had it advertised for.

Bacho86
27th November 2016, 08:10 AM
I've been looking at getting a bigger "quick set up tent" for the family recently as well, as we currently only have dome tent.

The Blackwolf tents look pretty good imo, however everyone seems to love the oztent Rv range, I'm not sure how they stack up against each other though

There's plenty of good quality examples going on eBay atm for around the $500-800 mark depending on model and condition

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gubigfish
27th November 2016, 10:59 AM
I went the Blackwolf purely because of the shape, they are a square/rectangular shape and have height in every corner of the tent. The Oztents slope down on one side and the height difference from front to back is very noticeable.

Hodge
27th November 2016, 01:13 PM
I went the Blackwolf purely because of the shape, they are a square/rectangular shape and have height in every corner of the tent. The Oztents slope down on one side and the height difference from front to back is very noticeable.

I love the shape of the Blackwolf. I was sitting on the edge between that and the Oztent for a long time . Done a bit of research and trial between both. Both same quality. What won me over was the setup. Oztent wins hands down. Unfold and pull up. 2 frame clicks and crack a stubby. Blackwolf takes a bit more effort.
Blackwolf was a fair bit heavier too from memory.
But the shape of the blackwolf in rougher/rainy weather would be my pick. Oztent is too "squaery" for my liking.

Cuppa
27th November 2016, 08:42 PM
Centre pole touring tents have been around for a long time because of their simple but effective design, & ease to put up very quickly. Four pegs push up the pole & you’re done. Southern Cross are the best, but there are plenty of cheaper copies around.

MB
27th November 2016, 09:59 PM
Mrs MB & I have cheaply, legally & recently 'acquired' an RV5 OZTent and love it:-)! Not sure if the RRP would have been acceptable for us as a young family :-( Personally grew up camping with the oldies and their 'Arab' tents and they were truly faster and more wind capable than this new one. EDIT: The centre pole is annoying though :-)

sooty_10
27th November 2016, 10:44 PM
I use a companion exo-tent pro 430. Very similar to the black wolf tents. It is super easy to setup. It is full canvas with heavy duty pvc floor so dont even need to use the fly for weather assistance. It is self standing and I have never even used the guy ropes and it has been through some storms. Picked ours up for $750 from aussie disposals on sale.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

MudRunnerTD
28th November 2016, 08:56 AM
So as I stated earlier I run an RV4 OzTent and rate it highly. I have been in Torrential rain and stayed dry when AB and Winnie were camping beside me in centre pole tents that both got washed away. Funny night..... For me.

I like the OzTent because I have set myself up around it. My roof load is designed around having it on the roof. My wife has never slept in it though. Father Son trips is all its seen. But it's seen a few 3 week trips with me and my boy. Awesome.

If I was in the market again I'd have a good look at the black wolf though. Seem good and don't pack up into long bags which could be easier to live with depending on your setup.

I just came across this site.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/11/8.png

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/11/9.png

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/11/10.png

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/11/11.png

Cheap! Note though that like OzTent, the real money is in the add ons, front wall, side walls, fly, etc.

Here is my OzTent on the roof during a 3 week touring Desert trip.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/11/253.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/11/254.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/11/255.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cuppa
28th November 2016, 09:07 AM
So as I stated earlier I run an RV4 OzTent and rate it highly. I have been in Torrential rain and stayed dry when AB and Winnie were camping beside me in centre pole tents that both got washed away. Funny night..... For me.

Funny for all of us, but wasn’t their getting wet a result of them both having omitted to prepare their new tents prior to use by wetting them down & letting them dry ........ as opposed to the tent’s centre pole design?

MudRunnerTD
28th November 2016, 09:14 AM
Funny for all of us, but wasn’t their getting wet a result of them both having omitted to prepare their new tents prior to use by wetting them down & letting them dry ........ as opposed to the tent’s centre pole design?

Yeah it had nothing to do with the centre pole. I think they both Seasoned their tents before the trip, just not well enough.....

Winnie
28th November 2016, 09:36 AM
Nah that wasn't it at all. Both tents were properly seasoned it was just a cheap tent with poor quality canvas unfortunately.

Cuppa
28th November 2016, 10:26 AM
Nah that wasn't it at all. Both tents were properly seasoned it was just a cheap tent with poor quality canvas unfortunately.

There’s a moral in that somewhere. :)

Winnie
28th November 2016, 12:55 PM
There’s a moral in that somewhere. :)

Absolutely there is.
I've since spent a lot of time and a bit extra money fully waterproofing it and it has held up well since then (I haven't used it much though especially since we bought the camper trailer) but it would have been handy to know before the Simpson!
That was an exceptional amount of wind and rain in Orroroo that night though which if we were closer to home I would be likely to pack up and go home if I saw that storm coming.
The next day though the sun was out and a nice dry breeze. Our tents dried in about 5 minutes!

AB
28th November 2016, 09:12 PM
Absolutely there is. I've since spent a lot of time and a bit extra money fully waterproofing it and it has held up well since then (I haven't used it much though especially since we bought the camper trailer) but it would have been handy to know before the Simpson! That was an exceptional amount of wind and rain in Orroroo that night though which if we were closer to home I would be likely to pack up and go home if I saw that storm coming. The next day though the sun was out and a nice dry breeze. Our tents dried in about 5 minutes! Would of been a great comparison test of all sorts of tents to see which one leaked and how much that night though.

Extreme wind with sideways rain consistently pushing against the canvas for hours would test any manufacturer.

Darren, didn't you get a little bit of water in yours?

That night was pretty much the ultimate tent test!

Throbbinhood
29th November 2016, 01:16 PM
We had a Dune Kimberly 9 Plus for the best part of 3 years, was a great tent with less than 5 minute setup.

Had it in torrential rain with 130km/h winds in Tassie (Conical Rocks). Could feel the wind lifting the air mattress up underneath us with us laying on it.

It never leaked, or even felt like it was going to fall/go anywhere. Probably the best tent I ever owned. Sold it a few months ago as we now have a camper and a swag, so it just doesn't get used anymore.

AB
29th November 2016, 08:10 PM
Default Quick set up tent for family? Does anyone have any experience with quick set up tents that don't cost $1000 plus? We're doing the cape again next year and don't want to take the camper. We could borrow another double swag but would that work for a three year old and 18 month old child? Also thinking the tent might be good for say Moreton and straddle trips as the trailer makes it quite expensive! Especially Moreton. Cheers Rob How many people in your family Rob and age is a huge question if no one has asked that already?

MudRunnerTD
29th November 2016, 08:19 PM
Would of been a great comparison test of all sorts of tents to see which one leaked and how much that night though.

Extreme wind with sideways rain consistently pushing against the canvas for hours would test any manufacturer.

Darren, didn't you get a little bit of water in yours?

That night was pretty much the ultimate tent test!

Nah mate the only rain that got in my OzTent was when I opened the door at 4:30am to visit you guys hold up in the laundry. That was s funny night! You guys got Smashed!!!

AB
29th November 2016, 08:54 PM
Nah mate the only rain that got in my OzTent was when I opened the door at 4:30am to visit you guys hold up in the laundry. That was s funny night! You guys got Smashed!!! At Dadswells town we went to the other week was similar conditions and he had a pooftinth of water in the tent but he said it was from the old man trying to find his bed after a few reds...lol

Honestly, yes, they cost a lot!!!

But!!

If you want the quickest set up with the best quality in all conditions, it's a no brainer !

Clunk
29th November 2016, 08:55 PM
So can you guys that have bought these tents that are 240 x 240 honestly say that there's plenty of room for a family of 4, with their bags etc?

AB
29th November 2016, 08:59 PM
So can you guys that have bought these tents that are 240 x 240 honestly say that there's plenty of room for a family of 4, with their bags etc? In my opinion a family of 4 with kids under 10 who like hugging and are a close family, you can do it.

Luggage inside though with above would be very minimal!

AB
29th November 2016, 09:00 PM
In my opinion a family of 4 with kids under 10 who like hugging and are a close family, you can do it. Luggage inside though with above would be very minimal! We did just Mia and LeAh and I with bags was perfect!

Cuppa
29th November 2016, 09:09 PM
As yet we’ve only put our OzTent RV3 up in the garden, but are still glad we bought it. Slides nice & snugly into the compartment under the pod. It was originally intended to be our ‘downstairs living room’ when we had the rooftop tent, but now will be our accomodation when towing the Tvan isn’t desirable. The design is good but I am surprised no one has reported problems with the ripstop material used on most OzTents. When we were looking I found display models is several different shops with wear holes which made me wonder about long term durability. When the opportunity to buy a ‘never camped in’ original canvas model in as new condition at half price of a new one we snapped it up.

Clunk
29th November 2016, 10:16 PM
In my opinion a family of 4 with kids under 10 who like hugging and are a close family, you can do it.

Luggage inside though with above would be very minimal!
so pretty tight then and probably not something that's going to be comfortable for a weeks camping.

Glad I bought mine then, although it seems big and I guess yes it is big but it takes less than 10 minutes to setup. and plenty of room for the 5 of us, so we're not all on top of each other, with room for luggage.

it's one of the things that put me off the Oztents and the Blackwolfs, just not big enough to be comfortable........ for us that is

MB
29th November 2016, 10:28 PM
Mr Clunk :-) Our grand plan was heading North to Fraser as young families once again to relive until a donk popped:-( We had super cheaply scored 2 x RV5s prior ready to go and conjoin them for a full week island family relax. Started looking into the RV conjoining extras, holy crap, it starts adding up :-(

Clunk
29th November 2016, 10:31 PM
Mr Clunk :-) Our grand plan was heading North to Fraser as young families once again to relive until a donk popped:-( We had super cheaply scored 2 x RV5s prior ready to go and conjoin them for a full week island family relax. Started looking into the RV conjoining extras, holy crap, it starts adding up :-(
you're not wrong, it's crazy money

AB
29th November 2016, 10:37 PM
Yeah they are not a family of 4.

3, yes.

AB
29th November 2016, 10:40 PM
so pretty tight then and probably not something that's going to be comfortable for a weeks camping. Glad I bought mine then, although it seems big and I guess yes it is big but it takes less than 10 minutes to setup. and plenty of room for the 5 of us, so we're not all on top of each other, with room for luggage. it's one of the things that put me off the Oztents and the Blackwolfs, just not big enough to be comfortable........ for us that is I wouldn't do 4 for a week, you could do a weekend but a week would be too tight.

MudRunnerTD
29th November 2016, 10:40 PM
Im keen on an RV3 as an add on tent to my nRV4 and would be the perfect family setup.

Being 2.4m long you always have room for you bags at the end of the tent to be honest. I have the peaked sides and front wall too so can easily set it up as a 2 room and have done this when baser camping at woods point for a week with Zach. Was average weather so the front room was set up to have somewhere for fire wood, chain saw ands shoes.

I rate it highly .

I also ahve the fly and leave it permanently on so I ain't getting wet.

MB
29th November 2016, 11:01 PM
RV6 all the way ;-)
Same as 5 + 1k :-)
Great tents for sure, but $$ :-(
As a kid, fondest memories were a tarp & bag, seriously:-)
Must be us Parents softening ;-) !!

89gqpatrol4x4
30th November 2016, 12:56 AM
We're a family of 4 AB and when we get back into camping will be around a 2.5 and 1 year old.
I do wander if another double swag would work? We do take s 3x3 gazebo with us when camping. There just s pain for getting dressed in etc but are light and the mattress is there already!

Graelin
1st April 2017, 01:23 AM
My first trip in the Patrol was spent in my motor bike tent with Mrs Lin. She asked what tent do you want? A Black Wolf Turbo 300 Canvas, then I told her the price and she said you will be saving a long time. We also decided an upgrade to a two burner gas top would be an improvement over the single.

I like the shape of the Black Wolf as I can stand up in it the shape of OZ tent means I can stand only at the front.

So a week later a friend showed me his new camper trailer, his issue was to sell his used three times Black Wolf Turbo 300 Canvas and two burner cook top. What do you want for both? $400!
We have used it so far for an Espernce and for a two week outback trip.

We are very happy with it.

threedogs
1st April 2017, 08:23 AM
Heres one from Aldi on sale today, I would think it packs up small
You could even leave the fly off if doing the Cape.

https://www.aldi.com.au/en/special-buys/special-buys-sat-1-april/saturday-detail-wk13/ps/p/6-person-instant-up-cabin-tent/

dannnnn
16th June 2017, 08:58 PM
dunno what you ended up buying, but a black wolf or oztent seem like too much $$ if you already have a camper & swag.

i have a coleman instant-up tent and i think it's great. i have a 6pax and it has heaps of room for me & the wife on a queen size airbed and a single kid in a compact portacot. would maybe need an 8-10pax if we had another kid. costs about $200-250 on sale from tentworld. goes up quickly and easily, hasn't leaked even on some very wet nights, stands up to a reasonable wind, fairly cool in summer, packs up fairly small, not too heavy. have had it for about 7 years now and taken it on at least 50 trips, my only complaint is the carry bag could be a bit bigger and sturdier. otherwise love it.

Clunk
16th June 2017, 10:28 PM
dunno what you ended up buying, but a black wolf or oztent seem like too much $$ if you already have a camper & swag.

i have a coleman instant-up tent and i think it's great. i have a 6pax and it has heaps of room for me & the wife on a queen size airbed and a single kid in a compact portacot. would maybe need an 8-10pax if we had another kid. costs about $200-250 on sale from tentworld. goes up quickly and easily, hasn't leaked even on some very wet nights, stands up to a reasonable wind, fairly cool in summer, packs up fairly small, not too heavy. have had it for about 7 years now and taken it on at least 50 trips, my only complaint is the carry bag could be a bit bigger and sturdier. otherwise love it.
Mate of mine just recently bought the 10pax gold series Coleman from Snowys, I was quite impressed.

I'm taking the wee man and youngest daughter camping for the night tomorrow, our Dune Eyre Plus is too big for just the three of us, and my swag is too small for the 3 of us, so I went and got one of these for $200. I did think about just getting a dome tent, but that thought passed pretty quick......

http://www.bcf.com.au/Product/Wanderer-Mawson-Instant-Tourer-Tent-4-Person/384312?menuFrom=571575

MudRunnerTD
16th June 2017, 10:36 PM
I was in BCF today and they had Blackwolf instants on special for 40% off! Was still $700 but a great tent.

dannnnn
16th June 2017, 10:47 PM
yeah the black wolf's are really nice, but the $700 ones are pretty small..! i also saw the sale and you need to spend about $1000 to get the turbo 300 and even that is only the same size as the 6pax coleman instant up.

sooty_10
18th June 2017, 10:45 AM
Since this is back up top here's a recent pic of my companion Exo pro tent. For quicker setup no need for a fly as it is full canvas and water proof without (have tested it). Fly just gives front awning (good for water run off in showers) and helps regulate temp better especially in summer. Never needed to peg guy ropes, just peg out windows or roll them up. Stable and quick to setup.

Several years old now and going strong. http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/06/182.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/06/183.jpg

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

BigRAWesty
18th June 2017, 06:33 PM
Fark ya tents...http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/06/185.jpg

Avo
18th June 2017, 07:57 PM
Fark ya tents...http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/06/185.jpg

geez your mrs has a nice car like my mrs

BigRAWesty
18th June 2017, 08:00 PM
geez your mrs has a nice car like my mrs
She does ey mate.
Campers mine though..