PDA

View Full Version : 92 patrol steering vibration

snake1978
24th April 2011, 05:44 PM
hi
i just got a 92 diesel patrol lwb
at around 70 km ph it delevops a wobble similar to that of a bad wheel balance, however i had a balance done and its still the same
a mate mentioned certain patrols had a common problem, and it wasnt the balance but something in the way the shocks are mounted or something
has anyone experienced this, if so, how is the issue rectified
thanks

Bob
24th April 2011, 06:10 PM
There are other threads on the Forum on this subject. Have a look around and you should find the thread.

I will do a search later on tonight and advise you of the Thread if you have not found it.

In the meantime how about going to the Introduction Section and tell us about yourself.

I am a little bit pushed for time to help you right now.

Bob
24th April 2011, 07:54 PM
Try this for your enquiry

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?2529-bad-shacking-in-steering&highlight=shacking

Finly Owner
24th April 2011, 08:43 PM
Plenty of threads like Bob sent you. But you need to check:
Wheel bearings
Shocks
Panhard bushes
Swivel hubs and bearings
so all front end for movement

Tim

snake1978
24th April 2011, 11:56 PM
cheers ill check it out

Finly Owner
24th April 2011, 11:58 PM
Keep us updated and feel free to check back here with any questions with what you may find

Tim

snake1978
25th April 2011, 10:33 AM
ill have to take it to a 4x4 guy and start by getting any rubbers, bushes etc replaced first. Tyres are pretty new, and tyrepower said they balance up ok, so have to be a fault on car. im mechanically illiterate, so any suggestions on say top 5 things i should get done to fron t end first. panarm bushes, bearings, etc
thanks

snake1978
2nd May 2011, 04:22 PM
ok so the tyre guy said the problem was in the tyres, even though they have about 90% tread

took it to a 4x4 mechanic and he said its the tyres worn uneven, apparently it only take 12-15hrs driving to set an uneven wear on a tyre?
he said shocks are dead and so is damper, they look standard so probably as old as the car. what this does is cause the tyres not to sit right ( sorta pidgeon toed) making them wear and start a wobble

he said do suspension and damper asap and tyres should correct themselves

does all this sound right??

a mate told me some 89-93 patrols actually had a factory error where the shocks or something were offset 4mm and this caused a steering wobble

any help?

TuffTD42
2nd May 2011, 07:23 PM
I honestly can't see shocks or dampener having an effect on tyre wear on a GQ. I'd rotate the tyres & get a wheel alignment. If the toe is out that will cause the tyre wear. the only thing that can be adjusted by a wheel alignment is the toe. (Makes you wonder why they charge extra than on say a falcon). Any how the likes of caster can be corrected with off set bush's. Camber is non adjustable unless you were to fit offset kingpins. This is usually only done to patrols that pull to the left & is only one swapped on the passenger side. This was the fault from factory as they had the camber pre set factory in the housing. It wasn't set up for the camber on Australian roads.

You will get wobbles with crook shocks along with crook bush's & other stuff. Have a look at the tie rod it may be bent causing the tyre wear also. If the suspension is knackered Then replace it. Have a think what you want to do with your patrol & decide on either going standard height or lifted. A 2 or 3" lift is the cheapest & easiest to do. Any higher & it starts to get costly & creates more problems.

As has been mentioned theres many things that can give you wobbles anything from your rims n tyres, wheel &/or king pin bearings to bush's etc. Good luck & keep us posted on the results.

cheers Jono.

snake1978
3rd May 2011, 03:29 PM
cool thanks ill check it out

Bigrig
3rd May 2011, 03:33 PM
Have you fitted large offset wheels?? Not sure, but if the scrub radius is affected badly, you'll get uneven and excessive wear from that also.

If so, that could also account for the wobble - ackerman angle might be affected - don't know the science, but know it's a problem.

Good luck with it!!!

snake1978
3rd May 2011, 07:20 PM
just 15in sunrasia rims i think
only had it 2 weeks so dunno anything else about it
think tyres are worm wrong, brand are adventurer or something, might have to replace the front tyres for it to lose the wobble

Bigrig
3rd May 2011, 07:29 PM
just 15in sunrasia rims i think
only had it 2 weeks so dunno anything else about it
think tyres are worm wrong, brand are adventurer or something, might have to replace the front tyres for it to lose the wobble

Maybe the tyres are out of round? Or delaminating? I take it there are no spacers behind the rims?

Sounding like a tyre issue ... but best to check everything before outlaying your hard earned mate!!

snake1978
3rd May 2011, 08:42 PM
yea i know nothing about castors, shimms, panarms offset , inset etc
im hoping after i get the suspension done , i can get a good 4x4 mechanic to tell me exactly what i may need in regards to making the wheels drive strait with no wobbles.
the wobbles in the tyres i think, but what made the tyres wear wrong is another question

Bigrig
3rd May 2011, 09:11 PM
yea i know nothing about castors, shimms, panarms offset , inset etc
im hoping after i get the suspension done , i can get a good 4x4 mechanic to tell me exactly what i may need in regards to making the wheels drive strait with no wobbles.
the wobbles in the tyres i think, but what made the tyres wear wrong is another question

Could be one and the same - if you have a wobble, it could be causing the uneven wear also if it does prove to be the tyres.

snake1978
5th May 2011, 05:31 PM
Just an update on the steering wobble
spoke to tyre bloke today and said hes had dozens of patrols come to him over the yrs with the same problem.
People waste money on panarm bushes, castors, kingpins, and so on.
The problem lays in the tyre being worn wrong causing wobble.
He said most people balance the tyre and assume its good, but he mentioned something about fingerplates and that the weight on the tyre must be under 60g
also that he balances the tyre to the car or something
so until i get new tyres the ones on it are stuffed but he will try a couple of brands until its balanced to what he sees good
btw , he also owns a gq, WITH full ironman suspension , so im getting him to do my suspension when i get it done.
cheers

diosky
22nd May 2011, 09:00 AM
had that prob on my 96 patrol. repacking the bushing in the stabilizer rod solved the wobble. i also replaced the steering damper which i thought was a steering damper, it was not it was a front shock for nissan serena.

snake1978
15th August 2011, 08:52 AM
lol, my issue i think it the tyres are worn wrong, but wont know till i get new tyres

BigDog
9th October 2011, 03:22 AM
I have just got my hands on my first 4x4. 1990 Patrol. My father has had it since new. for the last 10 years he has put up with a steering shudder between 90-100klm's.
I have always known about it. He has seen suspension people far and wide and never been able to fix the problem.
I have had the PAtrol for about 6 weeks and got so frustrated at the wobble i decided to do a change up of the tyres.
My father always ran B'stone Desert duelers. A soft wall off road tyre. I changed to a stiffer Goodyear Wrangler. Got new springs and shocks on all 4 corners and even had the steering dampner replaced. A wheel alignment for road use (Take a few shims out) and fantastic!! No shudder at all. Now, im not saying all this was 100% needed, but it has done the job!

Robo
23rd December 2011, 01:43 PM
How is it that the shocks are set incorrectly?.
left,right, back, foward?

lenkeit1234
23rd December 2011, 08:38 PM
thanks guys learning learning all the time

Robo
30th December 2011, 10:52 PM
Checkout this artical on Wikipedia, Wheel sizing.
The whole page is a good read.
And the section on Offset is worth a good think over when it comes to the dreaded death wooble.