PDA

View Full Version : Custom Toolbox - Recommendations

Boinzo
13th November 2016, 03:38 PM
Hello awesome Patrollers!

So - I want to get a custom ally toolbox made. To mount on a roof-bar in-front of my Rhino platform rack (3/4 length).

I basically want something triangular in section that I can mount a solar panel on the lid of. The shape will have it act like a bit of a deflector and still leave me with gobs of space for stuff like tent-ropes and basic tools etc. The rear of it I can mount to the front edge of my rack. The front I'll mount on rhino-rack feet and bar.

I'm thinking something like this:

As a guide to size it'd be near full width - so about 900mm x 250mm high and 500mm deep.

My question is ... do any of you guys know anyone they can recommend that can make this up for me? I can't weld or I'd have a go myself. I've sent out some emails and so on to a few fabrication joints round here but I'm just getting ignored. Tong Boxes quoted like > $1300 which I think is pretty steep for what it is.

Anyone here that's handy with a welder wanna make it up for me? Anyone that you guys can recommend I get onto - I'm in Brisbane - but I don't care if I have to get it shipped.

Any advise gratefully accepted!

threedogs
13th November 2016, 04:22 PM
Way too much weight up top IMHO

Winnie
13th November 2016, 04:28 PM
Way too much weight up top IMHO
Yeah I agree. I'm not a fan of having a lot of weight on the roof. I only pack light stuff on the roof like bedding etc and only when I have to.

Boinzo
13th November 2016, 04:51 PM
Guys. It's not going to weigh that much.
A 2.5m x 1.25m sheet of 8mm check plate is 7kg.
And it's not going to have anything heavy in it! Just some rope and stuff.

Of course it could be made lighter by making it into 2 smaller ones - ie. a gap in the middle.

In any case - any ideas on where I can get something like this made?

threedogs
13th November 2016, 05:04 PM
I have seen taller ones made to hide say a swag from the wind, leave it with me or better still
Ill shoot off some emails on Monday and see what comes up. Remind me Monday. arvo
Have you tried Gary Plant @ the dept on interiors I think he's in Bris he may have something
suitable

Boinzo
13th November 2016, 05:37 PM
Thanks John.
I'll look up Gary.
:-)

Boinzo
15th November 2016, 10:41 AM
Your friendly reminder as requested, Threedogs!
Would love it if you could put me in touch with someone...
Thanks!

I have seen taller ones made to hide say a swag from the wind, leave it with or better still
Ill shoot off some emails on Monday and see what comes up. Remind me Monday. arvo
Have you tried Gary Plant @ the dept on interiors I think he's in Bris he may have something
suitable

threedogs
15th November 2016, 10:46 AM
Going to hospital for some test very soon Ill send off some email whilst Im waiting lol

nissannewby
15th November 2016, 08:55 PM
There is a company at Brendale called EuroFlo. He is generally busy but does some very good work at reasonable prices. Glegg manufacturing also in brendale may be able to assist you.

Boinzo
16th November 2016, 09:13 AM
Thanks Nissannewby. I'll look them up. I have got onto a guy called Matthew at My Toolbox (also out Brendale way). He's being very helpful.
:-)

There is a company at Brendale called EuroFlo. He is generally busy but does some very good work at reasonable prices. Glegg manufacturing also in brendale may be able to assist you.

NissanGQ4.2
16th November 2016, 04:47 PM
We do custom boxes but are located in Sydney so freight would probably not make it worth while

View the thread below if your interested although the thread is dedicated to canopy's rather than tool boxes

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?37363-Ideas-for-members-wanting-a-Custom-Canopy-or-Tray

Boinzo
14th February 2017, 07:33 PM
So - I finally got it made and I finally got around to installing it. Pretty happy with how this works. It's over to the left to leave enough room for the OzTent to sit next to it.
I'll probably make a ply or canvas cover for the solar panel though.
All up weight is like 12kg with a 120W panel on it.
Has plenty of room for and additional 80W folding Solar Panel as well as all my tent ropes, pegs etc. And probably a roll of small hand tools.
Also makes a great spot to put a light-bar!
Thanks to everyone that provided suggestions and feedback.

threedogs
15th February 2017, 11:28 AM
Looks great smaller than what I thought, as for a canvas cover solar panels are very tough
as they are, maybe hook the panel up to your Aux battery so its topped up at all times.

Boinzo
15th February 2017, 06:54 PM
Yeah - I think it's going to work well for all that weird camping junk - ropes etc. Usually the last stuff to put away!
The panel connects down to my Redarc BCDC and charges 2 aux batteries. I also have a second ando so I can easily add in the smaller portable panel as well. Real useful if I have to park in the shade!
The canvas idea was mostly to keep crap off it - I got real sick of cleaning it last time I was away! :-)

Looks great smaller than what I thought, as for a canvas cover solar panels are very tough
as they are, maybe hook the panel up to your Aux battery so its topped up at all times.

threedogs
16th February 2017, 08:55 AM
be sure to wrap everything up well you could also house one
of those cannister stoves, Can you get to it OK from your side steps?
you could line the base with those foam panels that clip together