PDA

View Full Version : Can someone please tell me what this part does?

HippoNZ
23rd April 2011, 10:30 AM
Hi Guys wondering if you could tell me what this little hose does, it was loose and was wondering if it could be the culprit of me loosing juice to the batteries all the time since there not being charged up every time I go for a drive. GQ TD42 24v system. I have uploaded a picture of it, excuse the mud lol
thanks in advance
Brett

nowoolies
23rd April 2011, 10:32 AM
is it copper or rubber mate
if its rubber it wont have anything to do with your batteries

HippoNZ
23rd April 2011, 10:35 AM
is it copper or rubber mate
if its rubber it wont have anything to do with your batteries
Rubber......damit, thought I had found an easy fix. Thanks mate, I'll go back to the original plan of pulling it apart lol

nowoolies
23rd April 2011, 10:36 AM
Rubber......damit, thought I had found an easy fix. Thanks mate, I'll go back to the original plan of pulling it apart lol

were do both ends connect ?????

HippoNZ
23rd April 2011, 10:40 AM
were do both ends connect ?????

One into the alternator and the other end goes into a rectangle box (I'm assuming a sensor of some sort) then out the back of that runs a wire through to the firewall

nowoolies
23rd April 2011, 10:46 AM
possible vaccumn hose from alternator ?????
sorry mate i cant tell
if it has cable try putting a meter on it with the motor running see if you get voltage
Tony ynot will be the best to answer this

the evil twin
23rd April 2011, 12:12 PM
I would have guessed a Vacuum Sensor switch... but not familiar with the Safari's.

Hippo... grab a Voltmeter and measure the voltage at the Batttery Terminals with
Engine Off
Engine at Idle
Engine at about 1200, 1500 RPM

The results will give us an idea of what your Alternator is producing electrically

HippoNZ
23rd April 2011, 12:56 PM
I would have guessed a Vacuum Sensor switch... but not familiar with the Safari's.

Hippo... grab a Voltmeter and measure the voltage at the Batttery Terminals with
Engine Off
Engine at Idle
Engine at about 1200, 1500 RPM

The results will give us an idea of what your Alternator is producing electrically

Thanks mate, I've already done that. Reads 8-9v regardless if the truck is off or running or with a load. I just need to figure out where I put what probes on the alternator so I can test what's being put out straight from there instead of what the batteries are up to. If you could let me know that would be great mate

the evil twin
23rd April 2011, 03:20 PM
Bro, it can be a lot of things... Alternator, Brushes, Excitation, Regulator etc.

Does your "Alternator Warning Light" illuminate? In some installations that is in cct with the excitation and if the globe blows the Alt stops working

There will be a fairly light gauge wire to the Alternator that will be excitation and should be battery voltage from that pin to earth. The heavy gauge wire is the output wire and should be 27/28 Volts but I reckon you will have nothing like that.

If you have excitation then only 7 or 8 volts it could be 3 or 4 blown bridge rectifier diodes of the Reg.

I reckon you prob need an Auto sparky to have a look and narrow it down for you... thats about the best i can do without testing it myself and my limited knowledge of the Safari's

MudRunnerTD
23rd April 2011, 06:51 PM
Good post Evil ^^^

big_fletch
23rd April 2011, 07:23 PM
Your on the ball there evil, I'm guessing you are a auto-sparky as well lol..
Anyhow ill second your post evil, good one mate

the evil twin
23rd April 2011, 09:02 PM
Your on the ball there evil, I'm guessing you are a auto-sparky as well lol..

Not an Auto Sparky as such but a few qualies in a closely related field. A good Auto Sparky will know a sight more than me but its good to try and rule out the easy bits if ya can... plus I've never had the honour of tinkering with 24 Volt Patrols so could be minor but distinct differences I am not aware of... still use Hitachi Alternators I spose but maybe not

big_fletch
23rd April 2011, 09:33 PM
Not an Auto Sparky as such but a few qualies in a closely related field. A good Auto Sparky will know a sight more than me but its good to try and rule out the easy bits if ya can... plus I've never had the honour of tinkering with 24 Volt Patrols so could be minor but distinct differences I am not aware of... still use Hitachi Alternators I spose but maybe not

Ah ok then lol, not very many differences, same basic principles.. But you know your stuff mate so must be a VERY closely related field lol

the evil twin
24th April 2011, 01:13 AM
Ah ok then lol, not very many differences, same basic principles.. But you know your stuff mate so must be a VERY closely related field lol

ROFL... yeah Fletch the 'vehicles' I worked on for 20 odd years had wings and a few more horses out of the engines than a 'Trol but as you say the principles don't change only the specifics.

Lucky I retired from being around things with guns and bombs a lot of years ago now... there seriously are some deserving targets errrr people out there who really do deserve a special airmail delivery in this modern world of ours. We have forgotten a few valuable lessons learnt in the past but thats for another thread I reckon

big_fletch
24th April 2011, 02:26 AM
ROFL... yeah Fletch the 'vehicles' I worked on for 20 odd years had wings and a few more horses out of the engines than a 'Trol but as you say the principles don't change only the specifics.

Lucky I retired from being around things with guns and bombs a lot of years ago now... there seriously are some deserving targets errrr people out there who really do deserve a special airmail delivery in this modern world of ours. We have forgotten a few valuable lessons learnt in the past but thats for another thread I reckon

Haha yer I reckon mate, I can barley read my phone in so drunk... ll

Yendor
25th April 2011, 09:46 AM
Thanks mate, I've already done that. Reads 8-9v regardless if the truck is off or running or with a load. I just need to figure out where I put what probes on the alternator so I can test what's being put out straight from there instead of what the batteries are up to. If you could let me know that would be great mate

Hi HippoNZ.

The alternator will have 3 wires going to it (possible 4 if it has an earth going to the body of the alternator, black wire).

Two of the wires will go into a plug that connects to the alternator.

The last one is a heavy gauge wire (from memory white wire) this is the wire that supplies the charge to the batteries when the alternator is charging, this wire is connected to the alternator via a nut.

To test alternator output, start vehicle, bring revs up to a fast idle, now with your volt meter put the negative lead to a clean spot on the block and the positive lead to the heavy gauge wire.

If you alternator is charging it should read somewhere between 26-28 volts.

As per the evil twins post you need to make sure the alternator/ battery light in the dash comes on when the ignition is turn on and then goes off when the engine has started.

How are you starting the vehicle? from it's own batteries or do you have to jump start it?

Make sure the battery in your volt meter is not flat, this can cause the volt meter to read out.

Also I would recommend if you are running any 12 volt accessaries from one battery, to remove these and get yourself a 24-12 volt reducer.

Hope this helps.