PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Arnhem Land and Nhulunbuy - anyone got any tips on visiting this area?

FNQGU
22nd October 2016, 02:24 PM
Am heading up to poke around in Eastern Arnhem Land for a few weeks next April/May (or whenever the wet season decides we can visit). Just starting the research and trying to get a grip on the various permits needed, but does anyone have any suggestions as to the best way to get a good look around the country.

Might tow the tinnie up with me, not sure yet.

FNQGU
25th October 2016, 02:39 PM
Guess not.

Best I go and have a look and come back and tell you lot about it then...

jack
25th October 2016, 03:59 PM
Guess not.

Best I go and have a look and come back and tell you lot about it then...

Sorry couldn't help with the question BUT I'm looking forwards to trip report. Enjoy and take care.

Stropp
25th October 2016, 05:36 PM
mate you can go to boorooloola and if there the sailing club i think it is called is worth a visit north of town, used to be free camping when i was there, then you can go up the coast to ngukurr then onto the road to gove, roads are a bit rough but doable, some epic fishing spots as you go up. not sure about permits now but as i worked for telstra back then we just had blanket permits, accomodation of any type is expensive in gove along with everything else.

FNQGU
26th October 2016, 11:55 AM
Thanks Stropp, I've been to the King Ash Bay fishing club a few times now. I stopped in whilst enroute to the Limen NP Lost Cities in Sept too. It is now a 'less attractive' type of destination in my books. Was packed out with caravans, like the new version of 'Karumba'.

Advice I've received is that the Central Arnhem Road is the best way in and it takes a couple of days to get there. Permits and getting there, I think I have sorted. I'll just do some more research regarding the best sites to visit and where to stay etc.

Thanks for the input.

Ben

rainsey
26th October 2016, 01:28 PM
Word of warning re alcohol consumption.
As soon as you get to the, I think it is the dept of gaming, and get an alcohol permit.

You have to nominate where you will be and carry it with you.

Fine for drinking without a permit is total and permanent confiscation of vehicle and every thing connected to it. No questions asked.

I was up there last year and the guy allocating the permits told me of two guys that had their vehicles and attached fishing boats taken, never to be returned.

He also warned me that once out of the Nhulunnuy area and permit coverage, if you break down, don't even think of cracking open a tinny while u wait for help.

The place to get the permits is up near the school from memory.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

FNQGU
27th October 2016, 04:35 PM
I think you can book them ahead too now. Beer and Wine, no spirits and designate your consumption location (ie. camp site).

Or just go to the hotel for a coldie.

Thanks for the tip. This is one permit we don't want to get wrong...

rainsey
27th October 2016, 06:08 PM
I think you can book them ahead too now. Beer and Wine, no spirits and designate your consumption location (ie. camp site).

Nope,
Pretty sure it is something that you have to do there.
Cheers
Rainsey

rainsey
27th October 2016, 06:10 PM

We stayed at the camping area within Gove. It is a licensed area so I do not believe you need a permit whilst you are within the confines of this area.