PDA

View Full Version : Melbourne Cup Long Weekend - Licola - Macalister Hut - Sheepyard Flat Trip

Bacho86
20th October 2016, 02:42 PM
Hey Guys

I've put together a trip with my Dad for the Melbourne Cup long weekend in the Vic High Country (Licola - Macalister Hut - Sheepyard Flat Trip).

If you're interested in attending please feel free to join the trip or send me a message.

Cheers

http://www.4wdtrip.com.au/trip.aspx?tripid=552

mudski
20th October 2016, 03:28 PM
Me and the family are likely going to Camp past sheepyards maybe up at 6 mile flat for a night or two. A bit further upstream of the Howqua river and less people will be there. Well. Should be less. We'll just swagging it as it will be a last minite decision depending on house stuff and weather.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk

Bacho86
20th October 2016, 09:20 PM
Me and the family are likely going to Camp past sheepyards maybe up at 6 mile flat for a night or two. A bit further upstream of the Howqua river and less people will be there. Well. Should be less. We'll just swagging it as it will be a last minite decision depending on house stuff and weather.

Yeh cool, sounds good - I'll keep an eye out for you. Weren't not 100% sure how far we'll make it on the Monday or exactly where we'll camp for the night, but it'll between sheep yard and wrens flat I would hope

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mudski
20th October 2016, 11:07 PM
Yeah 6 and 8 mile are a fair bit up the road from Wrens. But you got Bluff and Lovicks hut further up. Bluff hut has bloody awesome views.
We might even just spend a night at 6 or 8 mile then nick off around the back and come out at Jameison. Or just stay put. Its just going to be us i think, unless anyone else wants to come. So its all weather depending on what we do. Safety first.
Plus i might even don the 35s and see if the trotters catch me. Lol. Or just leave the AT's on. Most stuff out that way if dry is easily doable with AT's.
Howqua hill track down to Frys is fun if its wet, which you will be going down if your going to sheepyards. But being just opened it shouldnt be too ripped up.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Bacho86
25th October 2016, 02:04 PM
mudski how you looking for getting away this long weekend? Weather is looking awesome Sat / Sun, but not so much on Mon / Tues so far- you likely still to be in the area on Monday or Tuesday?

mudski
25th October 2016, 07:13 PM
mudski how you looking for getting away this long weekend? Weather is looking awesome Sat / Sun, but not so much on Mon / Tues so far- you likely still to be in the area on Monday or Tuesday?

Yeah not looking good at the moment.
Five minutes after the photographer left today after taking photos of our house i had started the trench in the back yard getting it deep and long enough for the plumber.
So. If the plumber gets here in the next day or so. And then i can put the grass back that i cut out and do a few other things needed. We'll he going but its not looking good at the moment.
The agent want the house ready and on the market by this time next week. But im trying bud.
What day you leaving?

Bacho86
25th October 2016, 09:17 PM
Yeah not looking good at the moment.
Five minutes after the photographer left today after taking photos of our house i had started the trench in the back yard getting it deep and long enough for the plumber.
So. If the plumber gets here in the next day or so. And then i can put the grass back that i cut out and do a few other things needed. We'll he going but its not looking good at the moment.
The agent want the house ready and on the market by this time next week. But im trying bud.
What day you leaving?

Sorry to hear mate, sounds like you've got a bit on your plate at the moment.

We're leaving Saturday morning heading towards Licola then working way towards Sheepyard flat general area Monday night in order to leave via Mansfield on Tuesday morning

mudski
25th October 2016, 10:48 PM
Yeah ok... if we manage to get away it would be for one night. Is there any channel you will be on? Just incase we get to Sheepyards ill holler out. If i do go, ill go for a squirt up Three Chain tk. The top of this track has a clear view of pretty much everywhere. I could maybe get you up there on the radio.
As for the house. Im pretty good now. me and the wife got a crap load done, just waiting for the plumber to do his thing, then we clean up his mess, do a bit more and we are good to go.

Bacho86
27th October 2016, 11:41 AM
Yeah ok... if we manage to get away it would be for one night. Is there any channel you will be on? Just incase we get to Sheepyards ill holler out. If i do go, ill go for a squirt up Three Chain tk. The top of this track has a clear view of pretty much everywhere. I could maybe get you up there on the radio.
As for the house. Im pretty good now. me and the wife got a crap load done, just waiting for the plumber to do his thing, then we clean up his mess, do a bit more and we are good to go.

Good to hear you're getting ontop of things with the house mate!!

Our trip plans have changed due to lack of interest....so now we're going up with all the family and camping in running creek general area Saturday / Sunday night as a base camp and doing some easy day trips. Will be on Chanel 16/17 most likely if you're in the area!

lucus30
27th October 2016, 11:49 AM
Good to hear you're getting ontop of things with the house mate!!

Our trip plans have changed due to lack of interest....so now we're going up with all the family and camping in running creek general area Saturday / Sunday night as a base camp and doing some easy day trips. Will be on Chanel 16/17 most likely if you're in the area!

That's a bummer I would have been keen for sure if I didn't have something else on

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Bacho86
27th October 2016, 11:55 AM
That's a bummer I would have been keen for sure if I didn't have something else on

Yeh I was surprised there wasn't more interest - perhaps because it's not a true long weekend and not everyone can get the Monday off?

Still a trip I'm definitely keen to do another time, so I'll keep you posted and we can tee something up!!

lucus30
27th October 2016, 12:03 PM
Yeh I was surprised there wasn't more interest - perhaps because it's not a true long weekend and not everyone can get the Monday off?

Still a trip I'm definitely keen to do another time, so I'll keep you posted and we can tee something up!!

Running creek looks nice I've always wanted to go there.

mudski
27th October 2016, 12:08 PM

Another wedding mate?

mudski
27th October 2016, 12:08 PM
I'm still waiting for the plumber to get out here any do his thing. Then I can finish the rest off and hopefully get out for a night at least.

lucus30
27th October 2016, 12:17 PM
Another wedding mate?
Nope heading to dargo with the club

jay see
27th October 2016, 01:01 PM

Don't worry about Monday, I'm working Tuesday as well....

If that trip does come around again be sure to yell out, hopefully things line up next time probably I would like to tag along.

Bacho86
27th October 2016, 02:40 PM
Don't worry about Monday, I'm working Tuesday as well....

If that trip does come around again be sure to yell out, hopefully things line up next time probably I would like to tag along.

No worries, I'll make sure to put up another post when I re-schedule it. How do you fair range wise when your off road with the dual fuel? I know lucus removed his gas tank and put in long range petrol tanks to deal with this

jay see
27th October 2016, 03:15 PM
ATM I've got 4 x 25 litres jerries plus 30 in the sub.
Gas gets me 400km, but I want to go a long range sub and 1 jerry. Going on past runs on petrol I get around 150 km to one sub, so being conservative I think at least 850 km.
lucus30 what kind of range are you getting out if what size tank?

lucus30
27th October 2016, 03:24 PM
ATM I've got 4 x 25 litres jerries plus 30 in the sub.
Gas gets me 400km, but I want to go a long range sub and 1 jerry. Going on past runs on petrol I get around 150 km to one sub, so being conservative I think at least 850 km.
lucus30 what kind of range are you getting out if what size tank?
I get just a bit over 1100kms from 210 litres

MudRunnerTD
27th October 2016, 04:29 PM
Please note the the Haunted Stream and a number of other tracks in that area will remain closed into November. Check the Parks Vic Site for details. Have a great trip.

Bacho86
1st November 2016, 07:32 PM
Running creek looks nice I've always wanted to go there.

You'll definitely need to check out running creek next time you're in the area. It's got a heap of nice areas - some secluded and also some more formalised designated areas with various facilities.

Only downside IMO is that the first and main campsite is VERY accessible i .e Toyota Yaris and Honda Civic territory (seriously couldn't believe when we saw these cars at the camp), however the first river crossing stopped all the cars and soft roaders coming through.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/11/4.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/11/5.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/11/6.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/11/7.jpg

Hodge
1st November 2016, 08:16 PM
Looks good mate. Looks like you got some OK weather too.

Bacho86
1st November 2016, 08:58 PM
Looks good mate. Looks like you got some OK weather too.

Yeh mate was actually really good - only a little spot of rain on Sunday, no where near the 10-20ml the weather predicated on the area.

I think I found your spot that you showed photos of a couple years ago, after the second river crossing past the main camp with the drop toilet? A bit of a ledge drop off before the river bank?

mudski
1st November 2016, 10:59 PM
Yeah nice mate. I was so hoping for a night away but it wasn't to be.
When our place is sold i wouldn't mind getting away for a night atleast.

Hodge
3rd November 2016, 06:43 AM
Yeah nice mate. I was so hoping for a night away but it wasn't to be.
When our place is sold i wouldn't mind getting away for a night atleast.

You just name the date mate.