PDA

View Full Version : Introducing DavesStuff - Innovative Camping Gear That Works

Pages : [1] 2

AB
11th October 2016, 09:15 AM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/10/103.jpg
Hi folks, I would like to welcome a new vendor to our forum.

Davesstuff.net is a start-up 4wd and camping goods business that recognised some equipment just needed improvement. The first product is the Combi Oven – a simple multi-function camp oven that allows the user to cook roasts, soups, stews, pizza’s, cakes, bread, smoke fish, gently warm food and also is the only camping oven on the market that has an optional smoker built in so you can infuse those smoke flavours into everything you cook. The entire package comes in a heavy duty canvas bag and measures 35cm x 35cm x 20cm. There are 3 models to choose from, so have a look at www.davesstuff.net (http://www.davesstuff.net) for full details and pricing. This oven system is 100% Australian designed and manufactured, and it’s made to last – you won’t need another one in your lifetime – guaranteed.

Winnie
11th October 2016, 10:44 AM
Sounds good, but the website is not working.

TPC
11th October 2016, 10:53 AM
Sounds good, but the website is not working.

Works for me.

AB
11th October 2016, 10:57 AM
Works for me Winnie?

Winnie
11th October 2016, 12:44 PM
Cool, it is working for me now too.

bazzaboy
11th October 2016, 04:37 PM
A bit pricey for me, and too much to pay to replace my Cobb & camp ovens which do just as good a job.

PeeBee
11th October 2016, 06:31 PM
Hi Guys, thanks for having a loot at the website. The costs are simply indicative of manufacturing costs locally in low volume runs. There is a considerable amount of labour component in each oven and includes operations of metal spinning and laser cutting, all which simply costs.

I will be running an intro offer for forum sponsors that will be a discounted price. I understand the 'sticker shock' as it is a big number, however it is a system that has taken a while to develop and will last a lifetime - not that the other camp ovens won't.

Keep an eye out for the promo and hope to win you over.

thanks Phil

PeeBee
11th October 2016, 10:14 PM
A bit pricey for me, and too much to pay to replace my Cobb & camp ovens which do just as good a job.

Thanks for having a look Bazzaboy and commenting - all valuable info. Question though, can you make or cook pizza's in either of your devices and or can you smoke infuse in either of them? It' s important for me to understand if there are any other systems out there that can do everything the Combi Oven can. I am not even attempting to turn this into some sort of marketing joust, but am curious to understand how you validate these items would 'do just as good a job'.

To be honest if I had invested in what you have already it would be a significant Challenge to swap ships, as you have said. Look forward to hearing back from you, would appreciate it.
Thanks PHIL

Clunk
12th October 2016, 12:05 AM
Thanks for having a look Bazzaboy and commenting - all valuable info. Question though, can you make or cook pizza's in either of your devices and or can you smoke infuse in either of them? It' s important for me to understand if there are any other systems out there that can do everything the Combi Oven can. I am not even attempting to turn this into some sort of marketing joust, but am curious to understand how you validate these items would 'do just as good a job'.

To be honest if I had invested in what you have already it would be a significant Challenge to swap ships, as you have said. Look forward to hearing back from you, would appreciate it.
Thanks PHIL

G'day Phil, you can indeed cook pizza and smoke on a Cobb cooker, how good they are at it, I can't say but have been looking at buying a Cobb for quite some time, so have checked out quite a few vids on youtube.

Good to see new products though and good luck with you venture

PeeBee
12th October 2016, 07:57 AM
G'day Phil, you can indeed cook pizza and smoke on a Cobb cooker, how good they are at it, I can't say but have been looking at buying a Cobb for quite some time, so have checked out quite a few vids on youtube.

Good to see new products though and good luck with you venturet

Thanks Clunk, I didn't know this. The Cobb looks like a good package, however can't say I have used one, hence can't compare the performance.

The Combi oven can churn out pizzas every ten minutes once it's hot, and the insulated cooking zone allows very close control of the cooking rate for roasts and stews - certainly I have found you get a more consistent result than with a camp oven and I have been cooking with conventional cast iron and spun ovens for over 25 years. I have found the cooking time for roasts is also reduced by around 40% on a conventional camp oven, without burning, and if you are cooking in windy conditions you don't get a hot and cold side of the pot. I put up a couple of shots on the Facebook page taken with the Combi oven in action in the snow. That weekend was the monster drop one that hit Vic in late July from memory. We had minus 15 all night and minus 5 during the day. The oven simply was dropped onto/into 300mm of snow, fired up and cooked a roast on the first night and pizzas the next - simplicity.

bazzaboy
12th October 2016, 09:41 AM

Thanks PHIL

Hi PHIL,
I have cooked many pizza's in my Cobb with great success. The Cobb has a built in water "moat" which allows you to keep meat moist or flavored simply by adding wine, garlic, etc ....
When cooking pizzas I can add various wood chips to the fire pit to infuse various flavors into the pizza. I like experimenting to see what flavors I can achieve.

the evil twin
12th October 2016, 12:45 PM
G'day Phil,

Your product certainly looks extremely well made so big Kudos for that.

One of the major issues here in W.A. is camp fire/solid fuel fire bans over many parts of the State for about 6 months of the year (usually Nov to April) or even longer.
When in effect only Gas Cooking is permitted.

Does the oven lend itself to use with a Gas Ring or similar?

I also have a Cobb and agree with Bazzaboy, however I will add that the Cob can be a PIA to clean

MudRunnerTD
12th October 2016, 04:27 PM
Interesting conversations. Please bear in mind guys that Phil is a New Vendor supporting our forum and New to the market with his Aussie made and designed bit of kit.

I too have a COBB with most of the attachments. I like it on the most part but it too is Bloody expensive. I got mine on Sale or i would not own it. add to it each of the add ons and your spending some cash. about double what my wife thinks it cost me ;)

Things i don't like about my COBB. ITS BLOODY ROUND! Its complex to Pack Up and still fit in its bag with all the bits. Its quite big and a pain to pack around in the car. it can be a little noisy in the back of the car on rough tracks.

So having a good look at the pics on www.davesstuff.net and breaking it down into Size and functionality, i actually reckon this is bloody good kit. If i did not own a COBB already id be giving this a bloody good look.

So here is my breakdown desktop review of this item.

Its Square
its packed up size is 350 x 350 x 200h
like a COBB it alll packs into itself
It will function using Heat Beads
It will function on top of your fire
It looks like it will pump out Pizzas at Camp or at Home
It looks like it will still be around when my great grand kids are camping on the moon.
Coals On Top

So it looks like the fire box is undersize and slides into the pizza oven space to pack up. I assume you could have your fire inside the Pizza draw and cook on top.

The fire box will take heat beads or over the fire. Phil is the Tray in the photos in the snow part of the kit? if the tray is part of it then its safe to use in WA during fire season as the evil twin asked.

You can cook a Stew on top of the unit in the big pot which is much bigger than the one in my COBB.

Its square and TINY! 350 x 350 x 200 is like half a Milk Crate! Im liking it ALLOT!

Yes its up there is price guys but i can see where the money has gone. This is a great bit of gear.

PeeBee
12th October 2016, 06:08 PM
Interesting conversations. Please bear in mind guys that Phil is a New Vendor supporting our forum and New to the market with his Aussie made and designed bit of kit.

I too have a COBB with most of the attachments. I like it on the most part but it too is Bloody expensive. I got mine on Sale or i would not own it. add to it each of the add ons and your spending some cash. about double what my wife thinks it cost me ;)

Things i don't like about my COBB. ITS BLOODY ROUND! Its complex to Pack Up and still fit in its bag with all the bits. Its quite big and a pain to pack around in the car. it can be a little noisy in the back of the car on rough tracks.

So having a good look at the pics on www.davesstuff.net and breaking it down into Size and functionality, i actually reckon this is bloody good kit. If i did not own a COBB already id be giving this a bloody good look.

So here is my breakdown desktop review of this item.

Its Square
its packed up size is 350 x 350 x 200h
like a COBB it alll packs into itself
It will function using Heat Beads
It will function on top of your fire
It looks like it will pump out Pizzas at Camp or at Home
It looks like it will still be around when my great grand kids are camping on the moon.
Coals On Top

So it looks like the fire box is undersize and slides into the pizza oven space to pack up. I assume you could have your fire inside the Pizza draw and cook on top.

The fire box will take heat beads or over the fire. Phil is the Tray in the photos in the snow part of the kit? if the tray is part of it then its safe to use in WA during fire season as the evil twin asked.

You can cook a Stew on top of the unit in the big pot which is much bigger than the one in my COBB.

Its square and TINY! 350 x 350 x 200 is like half a Milk Crate! Im liking it ALLOT!

Yes its up there is price guys but i can see where the money has gone. This is a great bit of gear.

I might have to think about putting you the payroll MudrunnerTd - you are very good at this marketing stuff - far better than me!

Its interesting to hear the feedback both for and against. I will never turn any conversation into a slanging match about a competitors product line as each person has found enough faith and worth in the product to buy it, and since i can't compare, i simply accept that these devices do things differently and as suppliers we are trying to find points of difference to steer someone towards your own product line.
The biggest issue I am hearing is price. Well, simply put i need to make a profit to be around to fund the next batch and the next batch etc. The issue for me is finding the cost point that makes this worthwhile and does not drop me into a hole everytime I order the parts. The one off deal I have offered for the AB engine project is below my actual cost. I am simply stating this as a peg in the sand. The reduced price offer for financial sponsors eats into the margin. All pieces of this jigsaw have to be paid for in advance of any likely sale - its a reality of any business to have to deal with this. For me, the funds have come from savings, and I need to recoup them. What I would put to members is that if they have a genuine desire to own one of these systems, drop me a PM with an offer and we can start the conversation. I know what my break even point is, but thats not where I am going to sell at either because there is 4 yrs of unpaid R&D to consider apart from the cost of development.

So guys, don't interpret this as some moan from a supplier crying poor - I aint poor, but I also am not doing this to subsidize the world either. I recognise that those of you who already invested in significant priced items might be struggling to convince themselves this offers enough good points or improvements to jump ship - I simply can't give you that justification, especially based on the comments about how well the other system seems to perform. It would be great if you could try this in advance but that just isn't possible. All I can say is that the system is simple, robust, cooks beautifully, and yes you can turn perfectly good food into crap with it too if you don't pay attention. I like it and every person who has come into contact with it in the flesh likes it, and some have even bought the system from me on that basis.

Right now, I am focused on the sale of the engine rebuild oven. If I don't sell another oven to members on this forum apart from this one, i will still be happy, so perhaps get together as a group and tip in for one collectively, try it - you have absolutely nothing to lose.
Questions
The heating system is either heatbeads or fire coals on top and bottom. i have not tried gas but think it won't be successful for a number of reasons. The bottom of the chamber only would get heated and you really need that total heat zone top and bottom. One of my mates bought a system and despite using the oven on a number of occasions took his home, only used heatbeads under the oven then rang me up moaning about the oven being a dud. I quickly worked out he wasn't heating the top, and next time, bingo, success. I find heatbeads are great for the pot cooked activities and coals best for pizza's. Smoking works well with either fuel.

The system has a fire box on the ground, insulating cooking chamber for direct cooking of pizzas, or for insertion of the pot into the insulating box. i am calling the 350sq box the insulating box as you end up with a buffered zone of hot air between the outside and the pot, which is heated from below, and then from above with the trays. Whether you slide the smoker tray in between is your choice. I have not tried to cook using the insulated box as the burner box - The external base burner box/tray is designed to fit around the pot so you would have difficulty supporting the camp pot, plus you are not going to get the 360 degree air feed into the coals under the insulated box. This is a significant feature of the system because traditional camp ovens smother the coals they are placed on, thus relying on constant fiddling and loading up coals on the sides and top of the oben lid - you might only have to do one adjustment/yop up to the coals on the lid to cook a roast or 6-8 pizzas.

So, I appreciate having the conversation being alive and interactive and am listening. Thanks guys.

Lastly the tray under the oven was formed up specifically for that trip as i knew the snow would melt and turn to water. Its actually a valid point you raise and I will say that I would be be receptive to supply the tray on the first 6 for the prices advertised, but just as long as its recognised this is another hit on the margin - the next lot will be additional - no idea on how much as i have yet to make the first 6.

Thats it for now, come back as you see fit - all comments welcome.

Clunk
13th October 2016, 12:26 AM
Have you made any vids of it being used?

MudRunnerTD
13th October 2016, 01:07 AM

Yeah that would certainly be awesome. i clicked on each of the photos on the webpage looking for an embedded link to something. Only needs to be a 1minute vid showing you unpacking and packing it up for a start. another cooking would be great.

MB
13th October 2016, 01:34 AM
For sure TD !
I'm already theorising a slab of pork belly in a foil tray atop of a warm pizza stone, swimming in a broth of Coke & brown sugar whilst the upper skin deliberately crackles from white hot ironbark above :-)
Ooh, and it looks too easy to lift the front guillotine door half way through the cook to throw in some veggies for good measure!!

Clunk
13th October 2016, 01:40 AM
Yeah that would certainly be awesome. i clicked on each of the photos on the webpage looking for an embedded link to something. Only needs to be a 1minute vid showing you unpacking and packing it up for a start. another cooking would be great.

Yep and me being a complete novice when it comes to cooking on anything but a camp stove, it would be a handy thing indeed

MB
13th October 2016, 01:55 AM
Just thought of another dish for us maybe possible for the system Mr Clunk! Paella; traditionally/deliberately burn the base and ease the top :-)

bazzaboy
13th October 2016, 12:41 PM
"Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
Interesting conversations. Please bear in mind guys that Phil is a New Vendor supporting our forum and New to the market with his Aussie made and designed bit of kit."

MudRunner,

I am well aware that Phil is a new supporting vendor and is trying to promote his Aussie made and designed product, but thank you for reminding me. I support his enthusiasm and drive to move forward with it, by asking the right questions and views from prospective customers. As a businessmen, this is the only way to improve your product, gauge satisfaction, and make sales.

But please note, my response was an answer to the question he asked. When asked a question or opinion, I will always try to give an actuate & an unbiased answer to whoever asks it.

No offense is intended or taken with this comment.

Bazzaboy

Clunk
13th October 2016, 02:15 PM
G'day Phil,

Your product certainly looks extremely well made so big Kudos for that.

One of the major issues here in W.A. is camp fire/solid fuel fire bans over many parts of the State for about 6 months of the year (usually Nov to April) or even longer.
When in effect only Gas Cooking is permitted.

Does the oven lend itself to use with a Gas Ring or similar?

I also have a Cobb and agree with Bazzaboy, however I will add that the Cob can be a PIA to clean

And the fact over here in WA, quite a few camp sites that have been set out in National parks only allow you to have a fire in the designated rings/pits provided, so I'm not sure how you would go with placing the coals or heat beads outside of said rings. I agree with MR though, a square unit would be easier to store that a round one.

PeeBee
13th October 2016, 06:03 PM

Clunk, no VID yet. I am working and have been working 6 and 7 days a week for months, and its continuing into the near future. I will put some focus on this in the next week as can see some advantages as it would clear up a bit of the 'mystery' around how this works. Appreciate the comments.

PeeBee
13th October 2016, 06:29 PM
OK the Promo Oven has been snapped up by MB - many thanks for your support and contribution to the AB engine fund.

5 ovens remain, and with the additional arm twist of a 'wet weather base plate' included. PM me if you are interested guys. I am very happy with this result.

MudRunnerTD
13th October 2016, 07:36 PM
Clunk, no VID yet. I am working and have been working 6 and 7 days a week for months, and its continuing into the near future. I will put some focus on this in the next week as can see some advantages as it would clear up a bit of the 'mystery' around how this works. Appreciate the comments.

We will organise a Vid for you Phil when we fire up Marks new unit! He is a lucky bugger. kinda kicking myself damn it!!! Anyone wanna buy a COBB!

PeeBee
13th October 2016, 09:08 PM
We will organise a Vid for you Phil when we fire up Marks new unit! He is a lucky bugger. kinda kicking myself damn it!!! Anyone wanna buy a COBB!

Thanks Darren. Mark and I will catch up when he gets home. Appreciate the Vid, I am going to pull my finger out and do a quick 'construction film' in the next couple of days. Is there a size limit for the site or resolution I should be targeting? I have a cannon DSLR with high res but also a little "flip recorder' that takes brilliant video and audio. I have not tried the video aspect on the camera and have no idea what a 1 minute piece would take up.

Clunk
13th October 2016, 09:16 PM
Thanks Darren. Mark and I will catch up when he gets home. Appreciate the Vid, I am going to pull my finger out and do a quick 'construction film' in the next couple of days. Is there a size limit for the site or resolution I should be targeting? I have a cannon DSLR with high res but also a little "flip recorder' that takes brilliant video and audio. I have not tried the video aspect on the camera and have no idea what a 1 minute piece would take up.

No idea but most vids in the past would be uploaded onto you tube, then linked to here....... would be also be a benficial way to do it so you can link and embed it onto your website

PeeBee
13th October 2016, 09:17 PM
No idea but most vids in the past would be uploaded onto you tube, then linked to here....... would be also be a benficial way to do it so you can link and embed it onto your website

Gotcha, thanks. I will get my girls to sort that out once its done.

MB
30th October 2016, 01:58 PM
https://vimeo.com/189481656

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MB
30th October 2016, 02:29 PM
https://vimeo.com/189483108

MB
30th October 2016, 02:54 PM
https://vimeo.com/189484230

MB
30th October 2016, 03:14 PM
https://vimeo.com/189485068

Plasnart
30th October 2016, 03:16 PM
Looking good MB! Keep us posted as it develops!

MB
30th October 2016, 03:18 PM
https://vimeo.com/189485244

MB
30th October 2016, 03:22 PM
https://vimeo.com/189485444

MB
30th October 2016, 04:23 PM
https://vimeo.com/189487721

PeeBee
30th October 2016, 04:40 PM

Thanks for the video Mark, and glad it is all working for you. I like the idea of the cement blocks on the table - good idea for home use.

MB
30th October 2016, 04:45 PM
Thank you Phil :-)
It's an absolute ripper, I love it !

PeeBee
30th October 2016, 04:51 PM
Thank you Phil :-)
It's an absolute ripper, I love it !

I am smilin', big time. Glad you have achieved a good result the first time.

TPC
30th October 2016, 05:03 PM

I was trying to smell it while watching the video, looked great.

MB
30th October 2016, 05:14 PM
It smells awesome TPC :-)
The corn is starting to waft out now!

MudRunnerTD
30th October 2016, 05:28 PM
MB when it's cold it would be great to see you show all the bits mate. Looks wicked though. I'm coming for dinner.

AB
30th October 2016, 05:33 PM
@MB (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/member.php?u=37098) when it's cold it would be great to see you show all the bits mate. Looks wicked though. I'm coming for dinner.

I saw it the other day Dazz, It's very well made and the way it all compacts together for traveling has been well thought out by Phil.

That deep pot is a huge winner too.

I'm actually jealous now!

I got my Cobb on special but ended up spending the same amount of money as these ones retail for just on all of the added accessories that this already comes with plus more with that deep pot and a larger area to cook and SQUARE!!!!

I would happily swap my Cobb with all the fruit for one of these anytime!

Rossco
30th October 2016, 05:39 PM
OMG Markie stop it that looks amazing, tummy is a rumblin'. Very impressive, i like that it's square too very handy.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

MB
30th October 2016, 05:41 PM
https://vimeo.com/189490694

MudRunnerTD
30th October 2016, 05:41 PM
I saw it the other day Dazz, It's very well made and the way it all compacts together for traveling has been well thought out by Phil.

That deep pot is a huge winner too.

I'm actually jealous now!

I got my Cobb on special but ended up spending the same amount of money as these ones retail for just on all of the added accessories that this already comes with plus more with that deep pot and a larger area to cook and SQUARE!!!!

I would happily swap my Cobb with all the fruit for one of these anytime!

Yeah when I had a good look online it was clear that this was good kit. Can't wait to have a good look at it.

For Sale :---- COBB with the Lot!

MudRunnerTD
30th October 2016, 05:42 PM
https://vimeo.com/189490694

MB can you shot a vid of you opening the Drawer and with the lid on please.

MB
30th October 2016, 05:46 PM
https://vimeo.com/189490891

MudRunnerTD
30th October 2016, 06:38 PM
Bob Sir Roofy.. Coals On Top!!!

Rippa Mate

AB
30th October 2016, 06:39 PM
Bob Roofy.. Coals On Top!!! Rippa Mate Safe coals on top ;)

Clunk
30th October 2016, 06:54 PM
what happened to the third vid MB?............... great job though, the little cooker does look impressive

MB
30th October 2016, 07:02 PM
what happened to the third vid MB?............... great job though, the little cooker does look impressive

Cheers Clunk,
Third vid failed when my Tapatalk crashed.
Reposted it again so I think 4th is 3rd.
Absolute successful cook up on its first run!
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/10/298.jpg
Honestly the only cooker I know of that can achieve 'Smoked Pork Crackle' & 'Medium Pace Pulled Pork' at the same time :-) !
Not hyping it up, truly are a happy camper!!

Rossco
30th October 2016, 07:27 PM
Wow YUM!! Awsome product but think the driver must have done a pretty good job also ;) . .

PeeBee
30th October 2016, 07:28 PM
Thanks Mark for the tremendous images and effort.

I realise the fundraiser has now run its course, and am happy to extend the following offer for the next 10 Gwendolyn Camp Oven Packages, however you must also be forum supporters as previously stated on the original 10% offer.

Buy it Now price $575 plus postage if required, at cost,(cost being postage cost - no charge for my time or package costs).

I will hold this offer live for 2 weeks. If you have been sitting on the fence trying to decide then this is the lowest you will ever see this system for sale - ever. Additionally you will be supporting the running costs of forum.

Drop me a line by all means if you have any questions or via the forum, whatever works for you.

Sir Roofy
30th October 2016, 08:18 PM

Rippa Mate

Only Bob mate dosnt like CT

TPC
30th October 2016, 09:19 PM

Rippa Mate

Was going to bring that up, you beat me too it.

MB
11th November 2016, 11:24 PM
Only Bob mate dosnt like CT
Does depend on what we are all cooking. Bob I don't know personally but no doubt has methods of specific top tucker! Cast ovens, shovelled pits, roast bum wire lifters its all in the craft :-)

Sir Roofy
12th November 2016, 08:40 AM
Does depend on what we are all cooking. Bob I don't know personally but no doubt has methods of specific top tucker! Cast ovens, shovelled pits, roast bum wire lifters its all in the craft :-)

All true mate but ole mate Bob has a story as to why
he doesn't like C o T

Bob
12th November 2016, 10:57 AM
All true mate but ole mate Bob has a story as to why
he doesn't like C o T

MB Sir Roofy

Never put Coals on Top when you have Drunken fellow Campers who insist on checking the Camp Oven and spill the Coals into the Oven.

After someone did the above I have never put Coals on Top but still manage to cook a mean Roast

PeeBee
12th November 2016, 06:00 PM
Thanks Mark for the tremendous images and effort.

I realise the fundraiser has now run its course, and am happy to extend the following offer for the next 10 Gwendolyn Camp Oven Packages, however you must also be forum supporters as previously stated on the original 10% offer.

Buy it Now price $575 plus postage if required, at cost,(cost being postage cost - no charge for my time or package costs).

I will hold this offer live for 2 weeks. If you have been sitting on the fence trying to decide then this is the lowest you will ever see this system for sale - ever. Additionally you will be supporting the running costs of forum.

Drop me a line by all means if you have any questions or via the forum, whatever works for you.

OK Guys, 24 hrs left on the special - any takers? Have a look at www.davesstuff.net for the specifics and also MB's videos are there too. Thanks

Clunk
12th November 2016, 06:19 PM
I'm interested but............... and there's always that but............. I'm broke and Christmas is coming up, so kids get their toys before dad does

threedogs
12th November 2016, 06:26 PM

Depends how drunk the chef[cook] is on the night ,
So its basically a Square camp oven is that a fair description ???
Just one Q what steel is it made from.?

PeeBee
12th November 2016, 07:36 PM
Depends how drunk the chef[cook] is on the night ,
So its basically a Square camp oven is that a fair description ???
Just one Q what steel is it made from.?
The oven is made fro a low grade carbon steel, The grades do vary however between the 'box' and the spun pot and lids. It will rust if not coated in a vegetable oil after use, however no more than any other mild steel device.

AB
12th November 2016, 10:18 PM
Depends how drunk the chef[cook] is on the night , So its basically a Square camp oven is that a fair description ??? Just one Q what steel is it made from.? A square camp oven is far from a fair description John...

Many more ways to cook and way more benefits then a round camp oven.

Easy side access door for loading, unloading, flipping and turning food, checking food, fry pan, deep pot which can all be taken away from the main unit, safe COT, much larger cooking area for both oven and pot, better packing in vehicle and a smoking accessory for the extra win!!!

This bloke has thought a lot about this!

Winnie
12th November 2016, 10:24 PM
OK Guys, 24 hrs left on the special - any takers? Have a look at www.davesstuff.net for the specifics and also MB's videos are there too. Thanks
I'd love to take you up on your offer, unfortunately not in a position to do so at the moment.
Hopefully some other time.

threedogs
13th November 2016, 04:38 PM
Winnie as suggested figure out a small mob you go away with all the time say 6
and divide the cost $$$$$$, will only work if you are realitively close by.

AB wasnt being mean I just saw a side entry camp oven, I can now see it does heaps
more.
TBH Im happy with my ovens but if this can be used during a fire ban then Cudu's I say
Whenever I get to go away again Ill be going back in time and use my 1850s ovens and
or chicken fryer lol lol

PeeBee
13th November 2016, 06:58 PM
Winnie as suggested figure out a small mob you go away with all the time say 6
and divide the cost $$$$$$, will only work if you are realitively close by.

AB wasnt being mean I just saw a side entry camp oven, I can now see it does heaps
more.
TBH Im happy with my ovens but if this can be used during a fire ban then Cudu's I say
Whenever I get to go away again Ill be going back in time and use my 1850s ovens and
or chicken fryer lol lol

ThreeDogs,
thanks for the comments, but I must clear up something straight away - this CANNOT be used on a day of total fire ban. It uses either coals or briquettes and isn't recommended to use indoors. It can be used in a garage with care I guess, however its not intended for that location. Its a fire fueled device.
Phil

threedogs
14th November 2016, 05:45 PM
you'll need to come up with some proven recipes like "Dream pot" did

I scraped and saved till I finally was able to buy a full size "Dream pot"
at the 4x4 show at Jeffs shed in Melb at a discounted price,, to this
day Ive still not used it for a meal, that was be back in about '94, lol

PeeBee
14th November 2016, 06:02 PM
you'll need to come up with some proven recipes like "Dream pot" did

I scraped and saved till I finally was able to buy a full size "Dream pot"
at the 4x4 show at Jeffs shed in Melb at a discounted price,, to this
day Ive still not used it for a meal, that was be back in about '94, lol

I deliberately didn't go this route because there are dozens of campfire cooking books out there and heaps of great dishes - just didn't seem logical to re-invent the wheel. Mind you, seeing MB's pulled pork creation was an eye opener as I had cooked pork before but not like that - but I will be!

AB
14th November 2016, 06:24 PM
I deliberately didn't go this route because there are dozens of campfire cooking books out there and heaps of great dishes - just didn't seem logical to re-invent the wheel. Mind you, seeing MB's pulled pork creation was an eye opener as I had cooked pork before but not like that - but I will be!

Threedogs might be onto something though Phil.

The Cobb has It's own cookbook and for a newbie they are very hard to get to the right temp for different meals.

Definitely worth a thought about how much coals for how long for X type of meat, etc and get on the website.

Just make up 5-10 recipes with how long cooking times, amount of coals roughly, on top or not, etc.

Official top ten DavesStuff camp meals.

PeeBee
14th November 2016, 09:08 PM
Threedogs might be onto something though Phil.

The Cobb has It's own cookbook and for a newbie they are very hard to get to the right temp for different meals.

Definitely worth a thought about how much coals for how long for X type of meat, etc and get on the website.

Just make up 5-10 recipes with how long cooking times, amount of coals roughly, on top or not, etc.

Official top ten DavesStuff camp meals.

OK, I am listening, again! Thanks for the feedback, I will take it on board.

threedogs
15th November 2016, 08:38 AM
I think S.A metal spinners,{Bedourie} have a flyer with some basic
intructions written on it.
Is it possible to include some weights as well please.
I made a camp oven from 16" x 3/8th water pipe cooks
a dream but comes in at 32kg lol

MB
15th November 2016, 07:32 PM
OK, I am listening, again! Thanks for the feedback, I will take it on board.
G'day Phil,
Been theorising with AB over the weekend up the Grampians about a beach camp trip with seafood dish in the big pot for its next run. Reckon along the lines of my old patented mussel stew (Licola bouillabaisse;-) ) but now using the new smoker plate & CoT to add a high temp shell popping smoked extra zing to it ;-)

AB
15th November 2016, 07:40 PM
G'day Phil, Been theorising with AB over the weekend up the Grampians about a beach camp trip with seafood dish in the big pot for its next run. Reckon along the lines of my old patented mussel stew (Licola bouillabaisse;-) ) but now using the new smoker plate & CoT to add a high temp shell popping smoked extra zing to it ;-) I think you should fire up this weekend and do another video. I'll video it and ensure it tastes good!!!

MB
15th November 2016, 07:52 PM
I think you should fire up this weekend and do another video. I'll video it and ensure it tastes good!!!
Did someone say another Costco run :-)
Great mussel cryovac packs for mountain living blokes for sure! Let's invite Nisshead , he can haul down some skin diving real fresh ones for us and supply the firestarter party drinks too ;-)

Winnie
15th November 2016, 07:55 PM
That pot must be pretty big mate if it's gonna feed everyone!

MB
15th November 2016, 08:00 PM
I'll PM Phil to start working on a forum 40+ meetup sized V2.0 version for us Winnie ;-)

Winnie
15th November 2016, 08:03 PM
I'll leave this here as a size reference ;)

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/11/131.jpg

PeeBee
15th November 2016, 08:05 PM
I think S.A metal spinners,{Bedourie} have a flyer with some basic
intructions written on it.
Is it possible to include some weights as well please.
I made a camp oven from 16" x 3/8th water pipe cooks
a dream but comes in at 32kg lol

ThreeDogs, the kit comes in at somewhere between 19kg and 21kg depending on the options. The camp oven has a full set of instructions for set-up and operation, maintenance and hazards. Is this what you are looking for? Originally I wasn't going to do the recipees however I am listening to what the contributing feedback group is telling me regards a gap in supply, so will work on including some recipees for sure.

PeeBee
15th November 2016, 08:32 PM
I'll PM Phil to start working on a forum 40+ meetup sized V2.0 version for us Winnie ;-)

I'll be there for sure complete with multiple ovens if required. Let me know what you are thinking. Would like to put some faces to the names for sure and shake a few hands.

MB
15th November 2016, 08:43 PM
I'll leave this here as a size reference ;)
Cheers Winnie, yes my 'joke' pot last Licola trip was a little over the top by about 100+ too many rations :-) I reckon 3 x Phil's pots would do us 40+ members for sure next July ;-)

Maxhead
16th November 2016, 07:52 AM
Did someone say another Costco run :-)
Great mussel cryovac packs for mountain living blokes for sure! Let's invite Nisshead , he can haul down some skin diving real fresh ones for us and supply the firestarter party drinks too ;-)

Mussles, did someone mention mussles...lol should be right to bring a few kg's of freshies :)

Clunk
25th March 2017, 08:28 PM
what's happened to all of MBs vids?

AB
25th March 2017, 09:04 PM
Uh oh!!!

We had that issue with the Ellis Track vids.

When forum runner had the ability to upload direct to the forum it was using Vimeo.

Looks like Vimeo vids have an expiration date!

@mb

We need to do this all over again using YouTube.

Donk Party???

PeeBee
25th March 2017, 09:43 PM
These are all sitting on the Davesstuff.net webpage, so not lost. However more the better!!

AB
25th March 2017, 09:58 PM
Oh yes lol I forgot about that!

I uploaded marks vids off his phone to YouTube for you.

Crisis averted!

MB
26th March 2017, 07:11 AM
Yeah it's that bloody Tapatalk-Vimeo upload thingo. Not just these vids but as far as I can tell everybody's vids posted up via that method, heaps are gone for good! It doesn't seem to work at all anymore for new uploads either.

MudRunnerTD
26th March 2017, 05:03 PM
Yeah it's that bloody Tapatalk-Vimeo upload thingo. Not just these vids but as far as I can tell everybody's vids posted up via that method, heaps are gone for good! It doesn't seem to work at all anymore for new uploads either.

No way really!!!! That's a disgrace!

MB
26th March 2017, 05:06 PM
Pictures yes, but vids no go !
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/03/3.png

MB
26th March 2017, 05:14 PM
AB's just shown me how to use Youtube (create an account) upload thingo off the mobile, think we'll need to all use that from now on. YT test below from today's kiddie puddle run.
https://youtu.be/U0573hN3IR4

Winnie
25th April 2017, 06:54 PM
I took one of these ovens home from the donk party at MB's property.
After tasting the pizzas and delicious marinated venison that Phil cooked from his oven I had to hit him up for one. I'm very pleased with my decision so far after seeing it in the flesh, I look forward to trying it out tomorrow.

Clunk
26th April 2017, 12:14 AM
I took one of these ovens home from the donk party at MB's property.
After tasting the pizzas and delicious marinated venison that Phil cooked from his oven I had to hit him up for one. I'm very pleased with my decision so far after seeing it in the flesh, I look forward to trying it out tomorrow.
Yep I'm pretty damn happy with my decision too, looking forward to get stews and roasts done on it now

threedogs
26th April 2017, 10:39 AM
Yep I'm pretty damn happy with my decision too, looking forward to get stews and roasts done on it now

Plenty of pics on prep and cooking please.

Clunk
26th April 2017, 04:48 PM
Plenty of pics on prep and cooking please.
Plenty of info and vids of these on here TD...... And available on PeeBee's website

threedogs
26th April 2017, 04:55 PM
Thanks Clunk must get one of these as well when things settle down
whats one more cooking item lol

rusty_nail
26th April 2017, 08:28 PM
Yeah I picked mine up this arvo, gonna keep it in the shed for a while, I'll bring it out in a month or two. Very impressed with everything it comes with!

Sent from my P2 using Tapatalk

Hilux man
26th April 2017, 08:47 PM
Picking my one up this weekend

MB
29th April 2017, 03:51 PM
Here we go Phil PeeBee another session underway on your ripper oven mate!https://youtu.be/ae0pqNGAhlU

MB
29th April 2017, 04:15 PM
Hickory marinated pork spare ribs and smokey chook legs just in:
https://youtu.be/drz4cxeXiIM

Hilux man
29th April 2017, 04:24 PM
Hickory marinated pork spare ribs and smokey chook legs just in:
https://youtu.be/drz4cxeXiIM

Looks good guys.

PeeBee
29th April 2017, 04:35 PM
Looks very delicious Mark. Appreciate the thought regards recording your adventures!!

MB
29th April 2017, 04:36 PM
The non-deadly Nightshade species Eggplant/Aubergine just gone in too: https://youtu.be/BCapaU5cNcI

MB
29th April 2017, 04:41 PM
Looks very delicious Mark. Appreciate the thought regards recording your adventures!! Most welcome Phil mate, we love it!! Learnt a lesson to not use Tapatalk Vimeo this time, YouTube is working great but slower to upload!

MB
29th April 2017, 05:06 PM
Smokey beer can chook legs out now, AB reckons deliciously moisty, will carve em up now ready for kids pizzas soon. $3 for a six pack of chook legs IGA, bargain at 50c a piece!! https://youtu.be/osoEk0jXOf0

AB
29th April 2017, 05:24 PM
Just realised a big advantage of this over the Cobb and that is being able to put a large foil tray in to cook meaning minimal clean up.

Cleaning the Cobb tray and especially the moat is a bit annoying.

Whilst you can obviously put a tray in the Cobb being round would be a mini tray nowhere near the size you can put in this thing.

MB
29th April 2017, 05:27 PM
Smoked Aubergine/Eggplant out now, still juicy as, ready for carving up to add to grown ups Pizza's later tonight! https://youtu.be/3c4KajTV1Yw

Hilux man
29th April 2017, 05:30 PM
I just picked my oven up. Not sure what to cook

MB
29th April 2017, 05:52 PM
I just picked my oven up. Not sure what to cook Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk The beer can smoked chicken legs is by far the easiest and cheapest Rich mate! Tastes bloody awesome and fun prepping the hardware needed too!!

Hilux man
29th April 2017, 05:56 PM
The beer can smoked chicken legs is by far the easiest and cheapest Rich mate! Tastes bloody awesome and fun prepping the hardware needed too!!

One beer for you one for the chicken

MB
29th April 2017, 06:26 PM
Smoked hickory marinated pork spare ribs out now, friggin amazing taste dead set! Pizza Time next !!https://youtu.be/5xIhpdjiZjY

Clunk
29th April 2017, 06:40 PM
AB looked well chuffed in the first vid....... Our illustrious leader hahaha

MB
29th April 2017, 06:47 PM
Final vid for the oven tonight folks, getting dark now and Pizzas are pretty damn easy to work out/burn accidentally:-) https://youtu.be/MCBMHKIqqac

Bacho86
29th April 2017, 06:57 PM
Love watching you cooking adventures Mark!! Looks delicious.... "beer chicken for kids pizza" bahaha

MB
29th April 2017, 07:04 PM
Love watching you cooking adventures Mark!! Looks delicious.... "beer chicken for kids pizza" bahaha Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Helps the little buggers sleep Nath ;-) Don't stress mate, all C2H6O was burnt off long ago :-)

MB
29th April 2017, 07:51 PM
The 'Church of Patrolgy' Pizza Guru is at the reins now Phil mate! http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/04/327.jpgToppings of Hot Sopressa, smoked ribs, smoked eggplant, olives, mozzarella, colby, parmesan for round #1 :-) http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/04/328.jpg

rusty_nail
29th April 2017, 07:52 PM
Yeah boiii thanks for the invite though!!!

Sent from my P2 using Tapatalk

MB
29th April 2017, 07:55 PM
Twas very impromptu sorry Nicko mate :-(

Winnie
29th April 2017, 08:03 PM
We did pizzas last night and they were awesome!
I've got a pork belly in the fridge and we're gonna give that a crack tomorrow night! http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/04/329.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/04/330.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

MB
29th April 2017, 08:06 PM
We did pizzas last night and they were awesome! I've got a pork belly in the fridge and we're gonna give that a crack tomorrow night! Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk Well done Chrisso, a specialised block stand and all, bloody ripper :-) !

Hilux man
29th April 2017, 08:14 PM
I've got a pork belly in the fridge and we're gonna give that a crack tomorrow night! http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/04/329.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/04/330.jpg

Bet your glad you keeped those bricks now

Winnie
29th April 2017, 08:40 PM
Well done Chrisso, a specialised block stand and all, bloody ripper :-) !
Just need to get used to cooking with head beads now. I've never used them before and didn't use enough, they turned out great but took a bit longer than they should have because it wasn't quite hot enough. All trial and error at this stage

MB
29th April 2017, 08:47 PM
Same same mate, heat beads are new to me too but they are appearing to be a bloody good long steady heat, which is what roasts especially need. To super heat I still sneak Redgum splits underneath and a block atop :-)

PeeBee
29th April 2017, 09:02 PM

What have I started? Monster delicious cooking all over the place - looks great guys, really happy you are getting the enjoyment out of 'the box'.

PeeBee
29th April 2017, 09:04 PM
The 'Church of Patrolgy' Pizza Guru is at the reins now Phil mate! http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/04/327.jpgToppings of Hot Sopressa, smoked ribs, smoked eggplant, olives, mozzarella, colby, parmesan for round #1 :-) http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/04/328.jpg

I love the intense concentration, probably trying not to burn the fingers - where are the gloves AB?

That pizza presentation looks fantastic by the way

PeeBee
29th April 2017, 09:07 PM
AB looked well chuffed in the first vid....... Our illustrious leader hahaha

Well put, I wrote a comment 3 times and couldn't quite get it to sound like you have described - so thanks for that Clunk

PeeBee
29th April 2017, 09:08 PM
MB, I am going to adopt your dense wood block on top of coals trick as it makes a great deal of sense - so thanks for the good idea.

MB
29th April 2017, 09:14 PM
Well put, I wrote a comment 3 times and couldn't quite get it to sound like you have described - so thanks for that Clunk He has a way with words ol'Clunk mate, Legend ;-) !

Winnie
29th April 2017, 10:07 PM
MB would you kindly explain your coca cola/brown sugar pork idea? I have a pork belly covered in salt drying out in the fridge ready for tomorrow's cook up, planning on doing the crackle as you did and then using the smoker tray but what's the idea behind the coke and what sort of flavour does it give?

Plasnart
29th April 2017, 10:15 PM
MB will probably give a better answer winnie, but years ago i went duck hunting with an experienced duck man and bagged 2 ducks. Prepped them and into the camp oven. He then asks me to pass him a can of coke. Did that and was amazed when he cracked it and poured it into the camp oven. WTF i thought, but he said chill out you wont taste it after it cooks. Took the gamey taste out of it and they were great! Not sweet or cola-ish.

MB
29th April 2017, 10:16 PM
MB would you kindly explain your coca cola/brown sugar pork idea? I have a pork belly covered in salt drying out in the fridge ready for tomorrow's cook up, planning on doing the crackle as you did and then using the smoker tray but what's the idea behind the coke and what sort of flavour does it give? Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk Too too early for the salt on the pork Winnie, skin ok, but not the meat, you'll suck it dry bro, wash it off!! Yanky broiling PitMasters use 2/3 Coke 1/3 Brown sugar, then hang to smoke! Caramelising juicy they're after but honestly Aussie tastes prefer Apple juice pure and simple :-)

jack
29th April 2017, 10:18 PM
Geez I've had a good dinner but this is making me feel hungry again.

Winnie
29th April 2017, 10:23 PM
Too too early for the salt on the pork Winnie, skin ok, but not the meat, you'll suck it dry bro, wash it off!! Yanky broiling PitMasters use 2/3 Coke 1/3 Brown sugar, then hang to smoke! Caramelising juicy they're after but honestly Aussie tastes prefer Apple juice pure and simple :-)
Just on the skin mate to deliberately suck any moisture out that I can to get the perfect crackle. It works a treat.
Do you use a trivet to keep the meat off the bottom of the foil tray or is that fine?

MB
29th April 2017, 10:26 PM
Phil's Pizza stone is my Glad tray 'Trivot' :-)

Clunk
30th April 2017, 02:30 AM
Well put, I wrote a comment 3 times and couldn't quite get it to sound like you have described - so thanks for that Clunk
I only tells it like I sees it....... A man of few words I am [emoji12]

Clunk
30th April 2017, 02:32 AM
Gonna have to have a go at some stuff like you've done @MB...... Inspirational old mate

Clunk
30th April 2017, 02:37 AM
Just need to get used to cooking with head beads now. I've never used them before and didn't use enough, they turned out great but took a bit longer than they should have because it wasn't quite hot enough. All trial and error at this stage

A nice pile of lumpwood charcoal works well, gets hot quick and seems to retain the heat for quite a while too, can always add a few heat beads to keep in going longer if required

MB
30th April 2017, 02:43 AM
May the F.............It is in you too bro! Hunger, Tucker, Create some tasty treats Clunkstar! My kids love the hard work, taste tests involve us all, inclusively :-)

Winnie
30th April 2017, 03:52 PM
Slow roasted smokey pork belly time http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/04/349.jpg

Winnie
30th April 2017, 04:32 PM
Working very well so farhttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/04/352.jpg

Avo
30th April 2017, 04:35 PM
@ winnie i will try and find a heat bead chart mate...

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

PeeBee
30th April 2017, 04:45 PM
Looks great Winnie.

Avo
30th April 2017, 04:57 PM
you need this one Winnie..click on the link,,but i will try and find the chart..
http://vk4zz.customer.netspace.net.au/ftp/charcoal_calculator.htm

PeeBee
30th April 2017, 05:04 PM
you need this one Winnie..click on the link,,but i will try and find the chart..

AVO, this is a really good starting point. The CCO does cook differently to the cast iron units, but this chart certainly will get you closer to the end point. Great find. Thanks

Avo
30th April 2017, 05:06 PM
Yeah mate i thought that but i think as jt is coals on top and bottom it may come close...Derek Bullock is.a.friend of mine and has eun many camp oven cooking schools over your way..east that is

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Winnie
30th April 2017, 05:25 PM
That's awesome, thanks Avo

Winnie
30th April 2017, 06:06 PM
Well I cocked it up, think I had it too hot underneath and I should have removed some beads from the top after the skin crackled, burnt the sugar from the coke and the outside of the meat is ruined. The inside looks really really good though and the crackle was great. The meat is resting now so will see how it turned out in the end.
All trial and error, hopefully next time I'll get it right.

Maxhead
30th April 2017, 06:17 PM
Well I cocked it up, think I had it too hot underneath and I should have removed some beads from the top after the skin crackled, burnt the sugar from the coke and the outside of the meat is ruined. The inside looks really really good though and the crackle was great. The meat is resting now so will see how it turned out in the end.

Same with any cookin platform mate, it takes time to perfect it. Once you got it no going back...lol

I have me little webber q down pat:)

...........on the road

Winnie
30th April 2017, 06:21 PM
Same with any cookin platform mate, it takes time to perfect it. Once you got it no going back...lol

I have me little webber q down pat:)

...........on the road
Yeah I have mastered the Weber Q after a few years, great jigga they are.
This is a whole new level for me though but the true smokey flavours are unreal.

Winnie
30th April 2017, 06:35 PM
Probably the best pork belly I have done so far. The edges were ruined but the inside was sensational!

Maxhead
30th April 2017, 06:37 PM
Probably the best pork belly I have done so far. The edges were ruined but the inside was sensational!

You know its bullshit without photos..lol

...........on the road

Winnie
30th April 2017, 06:38 PM
Just wish there was more of it. http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/04/353.jpg

Rossco
30th April 2017, 06:52 PM
Just wish there was more of it. http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/04/353.jpg

Nice legs [emoji6]

MB
30th April 2017, 06:59 PM

That pork looks great Winnie mate, job well done, wish I were there to taste test mate!Gotta be better than the Wangarratta McTurd I'm swallowing roadside:-( http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/04/354.jpg

Hilux man
30th April 2017, 07:09 PM
That pork looks great Winnie mate, job well done, wish I were there to taste test mate!Gotta be better than the Wangarratta McTurd I'm swallowing roadside:-( http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/04/354.jpg

Hopefully There's a shitter near by MB you'll need it

Winnie
30th April 2017, 07:14 PM
Nice legs [emoji6]

Hahaha, nothing like sitting on the couch in ya jocks by the fire

Avo
30th April 2017, 07:36 PM

you put to many heatbeads on didn't ya....Bwhaaaaaa

Winnie
30th April 2017, 08:11 PM
you put to many heatbeads on didn't ya....Bwhaaaaaa
You were too slow with your formula!

Avo
30th April 2017, 10:18 PM
You were too slow with your formula!

haven't you wound ya clock back yet

Hodge
1st May 2017, 09:29 PM
I have to admit I have been very naive when it comes to camp cookers and more elaborate camp food. I am yet to go past my butane stove with a pan for some snags or bangers, or sometimes chuck a hot plate over the fire and get more "interesting" with eggs, bacon etc over the coals lol.

But I've just read this thread and watched Phil's videos... And considering how good some of the food at the meetup was... This cooker now has my attention ...

GQtdauto
1st May 2017, 09:31 PM
Hopefully There's a shitter near by MB you'll need it

Nothing wrong with our wang Maccas , well not much .

GQtdauto
1st May 2017, 09:35 PM
Actually MB you are at the Glenrowen Maccas , if you're heading south that's the better one , I'm about two Kay's cross country from there .

Hilux man
1st May 2017, 09:35 PM
Nothing wrong with our wang Maccas , well not much .

It's maccas of course there is something wrong with it

GQtdauto
1st May 2017, 09:41 PM
Can eat it very occasionally, all three of my kids have worked there at one stage or another so I do know it's pot luck .

MB
1st May 2017, 09:53 PM
25+ smart head hunter old Nephew guarding the block back home, probably cooking up a treat on my deck with my Philstars ripper oven the prick!! Makes a bloke wanna work harder to head back home :-) !!

Plasnart
1st May 2017, 10:17 PM
25+ smart head hunter old Nephew guarding the block back home, probably cooking up a treat on my deck with my Philstars ripper oven the prick!! Makes a bloke wanna work harder to head back home :-) !!

Heard he burnt the bottom out of the philstar cookmaster MB, packet and a half of beads along with your deck all gone up!! Now headed into the hills hahahaha

MB
1st May 2017, 10:22 PM
Him and his mates would wanna be hiding down the deepest darkest shaft in the joint if that is the case Plassy mate!

MB
20th May 2017, 10:37 PM
Another super successful weekend Pizza cook up for the family at home tonight thanks PeeBee Phil mate! Just had a thought whilst cleaning up how to potentially save at least 50% heat beads per 'home-use' cookup. As per last posts I have been using my old BBQ as a heat proof stand for your oven out on the deck when home. http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/05/162.jpg I'm thinking now that for 'home-use' again reckon the base coal tray may not be needed to save on beads. http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/05/163.jpg Next Pizza cook up I'll try placing it straight on top of the open BBQ gas grill direct and only utilise coals on top for the smoker plate taste sensation :-) http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/05/164.jpg

PeeBee
20th May 2017, 10:48 PM
Interested to see how this works Mark , have not tried it. Would allow you good control of temperature, just unsure of what the gas will deliver in an 'open environment' to the box. The coal heat up to around 350Deg C.

MB
20th May 2017, 11:05 PM
That is a fair point mate, the Pizzas bases do 'pop' very well as is with heat beads and even better with redgum coals straight off the open paddock donk party fire good man :-)

MB
1st July 2017, 03:53 PM
At it again with your oven Phil PeeBee mate!
Today's challenge is a 1.7kg Beef Brisket.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/07/6.jpg
It will initially receive a Jamacan Rum, Coke, Brown Sugar Injection and Caramelisation process whilst sitting atop of Garlic & Onions.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/07/7.jpg
Once that's all evaporated off going to do a second run of Hickory smoking.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/07/8.jpg
Stocked up at Bunnings with 30kg of bargain beads and months worth of smoking chips too.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/07/9.jpg
Your Pizza Spatula works great on holding the foil trays stiff whilst loading up the oven mate!
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/07/10.jpg
Going to be a late dinner tonight but should work well we hope :-) !

MB
1st July 2017, 04:36 PM
1 hour into it found I'd hit 190degrees so backing it down by removing some top beads for now and back to 150ish.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/07/11.jpg
Would have burnt its top off if it wasn't for the extra smoker tray diffusing some radiant heat!

PeeBee
1st July 2017, 04:50 PM
1 hour into it found I'd hit 190degrees so backing it down by removing some top beads for now and back to 150ish.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/07/11.jpg
Would have burnt its top off if it wasn't for the extra smoker tray diffusing some radiant heat!

Well done Mark, you are perhaps the most prolific user of this oven, with maybe Clunk coming in a close second it seems! Does pay to stock up on the smoker chips as they are becoming more difficult to source for reasons unknown - certainly straight Hickory seems almost non existent.

MB
1st July 2017, 04:57 PM
Good to know mate, can't let Clunkstar beat me! I ended with a couple of 'blended' 900g chip boxes for different challenges.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/07/12.jpg
The new Bunnings in Lilydale main street also had 'Samba' brand again of pure Hickory chips in 1kg bags for the same price if you need to stock up mate! ($8.99 all I think a bargain)

MB
1st July 2017, 05:07 PM
1.5hours into it now and holding 150 degrees well. Had its third quick rotation/flip, looking alrighty.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/07/13.jpg
Would have preferred starting earlier this morning and slow cooking at say 100ish but should still be ok!

PeeBee
1st July 2017, 05:31 PM
1.5hours into it now and holding 150 degrees well. Had its third quick rotation/flip, looking alrighty.
Would have preferred starting earlier this morning and slow cooking at say 100ish but should still be ok!

Smells delicious!

MB
1st July 2017, 05:34 PM
2hours for its 4th and final flip. Whole peeled Yams going in now too.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/07/14.jpg
Fair Dinkum, these juices already are bloody tasty!

PeeBee
1st July 2017, 05:43 PM

Mark, that very consistent cooking temperature you have there. Are you cooking with the pizza stone also, and are you using heat sources?

MB
1st July 2017, 05:49 PM
Sure are mate, always use the Pizza Stone below my foil tray roasts, works a treat! Haven't touched the full base coals since starting at 3:00pm, only removed 50% of top coals and repositioned remaining like this:
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/07/15.jpg

MB
1st July 2017, 05:58 PM
Just added the previously removed top coals back on the center now to give the final round of smoking chips for the Yams a bit of a quick Zap!
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/07/16.jpg
It's only jumped to 155 so thinking the layer of wood is an added radiant heat block too until they're disintergrated.

the evil twin
1st July 2017, 06:07 PM
Jeezzzz... Can you guys get a private room please... the drool running down my chin is making people think I'm having a stroke!!!

MB
1st July 2017, 06:07 PM
Super Sweet Corn in now on the 2.5hour mark.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/07/17.jpg
This things turning into a Korean Hot-Pot smelling delicacy!

PeeBee
1st July 2017, 06:10 PM
Jeezzzz... Can you guys get a private room please... the drool running down my chin is making people think I'm having a stroke!!!

Laugh I did, thanks!

MB
1st July 2017, 06:34 PM
Here's the 'Aldi' box kit it came in mate, sorry can't work out how to send a picture via Tapatalk iCrapple PM :-) http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/07/20.jpg

MB
1st July 2017, 07:29 PM
Fair Dinkum, what a successful outcome folks, friggin love this oven ;-) !
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/07/25.jpg
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/07/26.jpg
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/07/27.jpg
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/07/28.jpg
Well worth having a crack at it, cuts like butter and will get your kids fighting over shares of the beast :-)

gubigfish
1st July 2017, 07:36 PM
*drool* reminds me of the brisket I had at an American BBQ place the other week

MB
1st July 2017, 07:51 PM
*drool* reminds me of the brisket I had at an American BBQ place the other week
You lucky duck, the real deal :-)
Thanks to Phil & YouTube recipes I'm nearly there, Aussie Styling ;-)

Winnie
1st July 2017, 08:39 PM
Hey Phil do you have any rough guidelines of cooking a simple roast in the big pot? We just cooked a leg of lamb in the kitchen oven, would be nice to try in the oven but have no experience with this kind of cooking.
I've got some chicken drum sticks to cook and might try slow-smoking them next weekend

PeeBee
1st July 2017, 09:33 PM
Hey Phil do you have any rough guidelines of cooking a simple roast in the big pot? We just cooked a leg of lamb in the kitchen oven, would be nice to try in the oven but have no experience with this kind of cooking.
I've got some chicken drum sticks to cook and might try slow-smoking them next weekend

Winnie, 1.5kg lamb roast and 1.5kg of chunk Vegas will take between 75 and 90 minutes from past efforts, but depends on how much heat you whack into the top tray. The bottom tray is given as totally covered in either heat beads or coals. I think around a dozen heat beads on top would do you to deliver a moist roast without burning

Clunk
2nd July 2017, 02:30 AM
Oh I think MB has fast become the guru with this camp oven. We had it going again tonight cooking up some pizzas while camoing with friends down in Dwellingup, have bought a nice chunk of port, so will be having a go at roasting that in the oven at some point durimg the bext few days. Need to buy a thermometer for it though as I've no idea on temps

MB
2nd July 2017, 08:58 AM
Good work mate, looking forward to some pics also. Definitely invest in a good couple of thermometers, one for oven temps and a probe for occasional meat temp tests. Been trying to track down a high temp range Pizza oven one like this as a lot only start at +100. http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/07/34.jpg
Reckon drilling a small hole below the side handle should work to keep it external. My current one sits inside and is a bit annoying in the way and needs regular scrubbing off smoke and juices. http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/07/35.jpg
Phil made a good point about the glass possibly breaking inside and landing atop of kids Pizzas unnoticed too, ouch !

PeeBee
2nd July 2017, 11:40 AM
[QUOTE=MB;732234]Good work mate, looking forward to some pics also. Definitely invest in a good couple of thermometers, one for oven temps and a probe for occasional meat temp tests. Been trying to track down a high temp range Pizza oven one like this as a lot only start at +100. http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/07/34.jpg
Reckon drilling a small hole below the side handle should work to keep it external. My current one sits inside and is a bit annoying in the way and needs regular scrubbing off smoke and juices. http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/07/35.jpg
Phil made a good point about the glass possibly breaking inside and landing atop of kids Pizzas unnoticed too, ouch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/H002425
Good idea but drill the hole in the corner of the rear wall no more than 30mm from the corner and just lower than the smoker tray. This will allow the probe to clear the pizza and flipper. I bought some small and short temp probes from a cooking utensil shop in Knox city, 4 for $10 from memory. Accuracy probably not good but and indicator. I have them in the truck somewhere so will post up a shot of it plus the recommended location. Good idea for sure MB

MB
2nd July 2017, 01:09 PM
Great idea, yes pics please. Also just realised it must go in the corner of the box as the big round pot would not allow it where it near touches the center walls! I think you mean here below is best mate? http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/07/39.jpg

MB
2nd July 2017, 01:58 PM
First time today using the big pot Phil. Decided to not waste last nights Brisket juices and crank up a soup for tonight. Starting off by hot smoking 250 degrees some cheap Beef bones.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/07/45.jpg
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/07/46.jpg
The pot seems great for this, almost like pressure cooking for smokey bone soup stock to follow.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/07/47.jpg

MB
2nd July 2017, 02:14 PM
In goes last nights leftover 500ml of Brisket juices and another 5.5L of water beef stock from cubes. (Preboiled the water as to not warp the 250degree hot spun steel pot)
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/07/48.jpg
Here's a quick picture of the great lid system with wood chips tray that gets sandwiched underneath the coal top folks.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/07/49.jpg

MB
2nd July 2017, 02:47 PM
And finally in goes 1kg of Spuds, one Turnip, one Leek, 500g bag of Garden Peas and I'll let the coals completely burn out ready warm for dinner tonight!
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/07/50.jpg
Ooh, and the Onions & Garlic went in towards the end of hot smoking the bones earlier.

Winnie
2nd July 2017, 02:59 PM
Loving it Mark! Inspiring stuff.

MB
2nd July 2017, 03:21 PM
Cheers Chrisso mate! Just for reference on your oven adventures, when the inside box is around 200C a 'full' pot of liquid will boil 'moderately' with around a dozen coals on top. I am now removing a redgum chunk off the top top as it was starting to overboil!
EDIT: Scrap that above, had to remove 'all' coals now off the top.
EDIT 2: I'm thinking that the bones have finally reached 100C much like Plasnart's Youtube 'Primitive Technology' bloke uses hot rocks to boil water in clay pots! Have now put a 20mm stick under the lid to let some heat out as it was increasing in boil rate going off its head! (Finally simmering now)

PeeBee
2nd July 2017, 04:40 PM
OK, couple of pics and a back flip as well!

The hole in the side of the oven does not work because the head of the thermometer is too heavy and it tips up and would rest against the hot tray, so drill a hole in the rear corner so the probe sits approx 20mm off the wall. the probe length then can be up to 200mm long from memory, so plenty of options regards finding one. Keep the head or dial away from the hot coals, but you can always simply remove the probe when replenishing the coals on top.

The probe i have used is one from BBQ galore from memory and it has both temps and also cook tenderness bands for different meats. The probe is approx 125mm long and dial 45mm diameter.

The smaller ones are for direct placement into the meat and have a 25mm head and 50mm prong. I used these for the venison at the camp oven cook off and they worked a treat.

The hole i have drilled in the side of the oven will be welded up when I get a chance.

Thanks guys for the continual upgrade advice and suggestions. It all helps to make this even better as a cooking device.72359723607236172362

Winnie
3rd July 2017, 06:38 AM
Cheers Chrisso mate! Just for reference on your oven adventures, when the inside box is around 200C a 'full' pot of liquid will boil 'moderately' with around a dozen coals on top. I am now removing a redgum chunk off the top top as it was starting to overboil!
EDIT: Scrap that above, had to remove 'all' coals now off the top.
EDIT 2: I'm thinking that the bones have finally reached 100C much like Plasnart's Youtube 'Primitive Technology' bloke uses hot rocks to boil water in clay pots! Have now put a 20mm stick under the lid to let some heat out as it was increasing in boil rate going off its head! (Finally simmering now)
How was it in the end Mark?

MB
3rd July 2017, 07:10 AM
Not too bad at all mate, probably too many Spuds though, went a big thick after mashing.

Clunk
3rd July 2017, 08:15 PM
Ok first time using the oven to roast something....... Nice bit of pork, didn't get the timing right for the potatoes, so didn't quite crisp up enough.

Will definitely be practising more.... Second photo are left overs for when I get the munchies later

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/07/63.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/07/64.jpg

MudRunnerTD
3rd July 2017, 08:39 PM
This thread officially shits me to tears!!!! MB your a beast cook mate. Glad to see you guys getting a heap of use out of this kit. Well done Phil.

PeeBee
3rd July 2017, 08:46 PM
Looks great. I reckon Pork is a hard meat to get just right, unless you have the power of MB that is, who seems to ace everything. Glad it worked for you though and sky's the limit I guess. What i am surprised about is the number of people using this system as home cookers - I don't have the time to be honest, then then I should try harder I guess.

PeeBee
3rd July 2017, 08:48 PM
This thread officially shits me to tears!!!! MB your a beast cook mate. Glad to see you guys getting a heap of use out of this kit. Well done Phil.

I have a great visual going on of you as i read this post - bloody good laugh, thanks, and yes, MB is a demon of a cook for sure. Certainly demonstrating the power of this great little oven.

MudRunnerTD
3rd July 2017, 08:51 PM
I'm also jealous about doing a wicked cook up. The wife is Vegetarian and the kids are happy with sausages 7 days a week damn it. I wish the family was open to some wicked cookups like Mark is pulling off! Awesome

Winnie
3rd July 2017, 08:58 PM
Looks great. I reckon Pork is a hard meat to get just right, unless you have the power of MB that is, who seems to ace everything. Glad it worked for you though and sky's the limit I guess. What i am surprised about is the number of people using this system as home cookers - I don't have the time to be honest, then then I should try harder I guess.
I have only used mine at home. I don't have the time during the week but am trying to use it a bit on weekends. Getting better but still need more practice!

Clunk
3rd July 2017, 09:15 PM
I have only used mine at home. I don't have the time during the week but am trying to use it a bit on weekends. Getting better but still need more practice!

This is the first opportunity to use it away from home, camping doen in Dwellingup for a week, so perfect for it. Had pizzas on Saturday night, roast pork tonight..... Who knows about the rest of the week, but I reckon the pot should be used next.

PeeBee
3rd July 2017, 09:31 PM
Have not heard from rustynail or Hiluxman regards their efforts so far? Any successes or disasters guys?

Clunk
3rd July 2017, 09:56 PM
Well you've done yourself proud Phil, you've made a mighty fine product..... And yeah ok we may only be able to use it for 3-4 months out of the year over here, but I'll use it as much as I possibly can during that time

Plasnart
3rd July 2017, 10:02 PM
I'm bloody starving now. Bastards!! :D

Phil, you've created a bloody fantastic bit of kit that's for sure.

MB
4th July 2017, 05:50 AM
That Pork came up looking great Clunkstar, enjoy your week off down there mate!
Plenty of practice here gents, I've stuffed up hundreds of dollars worth of meat over the years in other cooking contraptions bought. The front door on Phil's oven like no others just makes it so easy to quickly check temps and adjust coals if needed, bloody fantastic!

Winnie
8th July 2017, 04:02 PM
Preparing for a cook up, going to use the pot for the first time today. Amy's been marinating some chicken legs and I'm going to use the smoker pot to slow cook them.
Wish me luck!

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/07/88.jpg

AB
8th July 2017, 04:05 PM
I might have to close this thread soon...

Bloody jealous!!!

Winnie
8th July 2017, 04:15 PM
We have invited guests for dinner so the pressure is on!

Maxhead
8th July 2017, 04:21 PM
Pics Chrisso, remember pics...lol

...........on the road

Winnie
8th July 2017, 04:32 PM
This pot is seriously huge. There are a dozen chicken legs and a couple of litres of broth in there.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/07/89.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/07/90.jpg

AB
8th July 2017, 04:54 PM
We have invited guests for dinner so the pressure is on!

Don't stuff it up!!!

Get the number for that pizza shop ready ;)

Winnie
8th July 2017, 04:59 PM
Don't stuff it up!!!

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkCharcoal chicken is around the corner... Hahaha

AB
8th July 2017, 05:01 PM
Charcoal chicken is around the corner

Or under your carport possibly...lol

Winnie
8th July 2017, 05:09 PM
Not yet... Lol.
Not enough heat beads to start with underneath. So I've added some more and it's starting to get a bit of heat in it now.
The top is smoking away very nicely though!

PeeBee
8th July 2017, 05:20 PM
Don't stuff it up!!!

Unbeliever AB!

Winnie
8th July 2017, 05:51 PM
Smelling great and looking just as good! Roughly an hour to go I reckon.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/07/91.jpg

PeeBee
8th July 2017, 07:11 PM
Smelling great and looking just as good! Roughly an hour to go I reckon.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/07/91.jpg

Looks a bit better than my eggs on toast for dinner!

Winnie
8th July 2017, 07:29 PM
It worked a treat! Really happy with how this went but now is the taste test!

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/07/92.jpg

AB
8th July 2017, 07:37 PM
That does look alright old mate!

Winnie
8th July 2017, 08:04 PM
Confirmed by guests as "best chicken ever"
Bloody deliciously smokey goodness!

Maxhead
8th July 2017, 08:08 PM
Confirmed by guests as "best chicken ever"
Bloody deliciously smokey goodness!

Looks shit shot mate, now you have to share the recipe ...lol

...........on the road

mudski
8th July 2017, 08:10 PM
It worked a treat! Really happy with how this went but now is the taste test!

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/07/92.jpg

Jesus Winnie. Your making me hungry and I've just had dinner!

I've been quietly watching this thread over the time and have decided when the funds are free'er one of these are definitely on my list.

MB
9th July 2017, 12:06 PM
Confirmed by guests as "best chicken ever" Bloody deliciously smokey goodness! Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
You're smashing it Chrisso mate :-)
How good is it being able to smoke tucker in a pot ;-)

Winnie
9th July 2017, 12:17 PM
MB I reckon it would bring your world famous bouillabaisse to a whole new level!

MB
9th July 2017, 12:23 PM
Absolutely brother tucker f#cker ;-) ! Let us Cossco shop together :-)

Winnie
16th July 2017, 04:14 PM
Giving it another crack tonight. I've got some pork belly with skin removed, gave it a dry rub early this morning and put it in the oven at about 1pm.
Cooking in apple juice and giving it a spritz with apple juice every half hour or so. Cooking much lower than the last pork I tried.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/07/173.jpg

PeeBee
16th July 2017, 04:35 PM
Looks great Chris, keen to see final outcome and how it tasted, did you cook using the stone under the tray?

Winnie
16th July 2017, 04:54 PM
Yeah mate I've never taken the stone out. I've got an oven thermometer in there and it's slowly cooking at about 120*C

Winnie
16th July 2017, 05:29 PM
Anybody have some tips as to why my heat beads on top would be dying out? They are fully ashed over but barely getting any heat out of them. Just chucked a couple more firelighters in and some fresh beads and it has reignited the old ones as well.

MB
16th July 2017, 05:38 PM
Pork Belly's looking really great mate :-) !
Regards heat beads, it's all new to me too but possibly our cheapo brands? With my new adventures also have just blown the white ash off them over the edge of the deck. Reckon you're in the new shed maybe so not such a good idea, lol :-)

Winnie
16th July 2017, 06:12 PM
Regards heat beads, it's all new to me too but possibly our cheapo brands? With my new adventures also have just blown the white ash off them over the edge of the deck. Reckon you're in the new shed maybe so not such a good idea, lol :-)

Just got it under the carport for now but I don't think Amz would be happy with briquette dust all over the foot path haha.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/07/174.jpg

I've just wrapped the pork up in foil with some more apple juice and put it back in the oven to make it seriously tender.

Sir Roofy
16th July 2017, 06:21 PM
Anybody have some tips as to why my heat beads on top would be dying out? They are fully ashed over but barely getting any heat out of them. Just chucked a couple more firelighters in and some fresh beads and it has reignited the old ones as well.

Its winter mate cold air damp air try covering till they get going

PeeBee
16th July 2017, 06:32 PM

Could have something there MB. If you are struggling, maybe have a try next time with charcoal. You can buy it at Bunnings by the box. I found it generates more heat per mass than the heat beads but won't burn for so long. All a bit of experiment in some regards. Looking at the small amount of coals on top, I would say you are doing really well to hold that temperature Ove an extended period. Really looks good though.

Winnie
16th July 2017, 06:41 PM
Could have something there MB. If you are struggling, maybe have a try next time with charcoal. You can buy it at Bunnings by the box. I found it generates more heat per mass than the heat beads but won't burn for so long. All a bit of experiment in some regards. Looking at the small amount of coals on top, I would say you are doing really well to hold that temperature Ove an extended period. Really looks good though.Hmm, I've only got 1 bag of beads left so might try charcoal next time.
I'm trying to use less beads to keep the heat down. Maybe there weren't enough to keep the heat up and that's why they died out.

MB
16th July 2017, 06:50 PM
Been thinking about getting one of these or making similar for home use only maybe Phil mate!
https://www.bunnings.com.au/heat-beads-bbq-chimney_p3170712
China a while back was street feasting on I hope awesome 'chicken skewers' over open charcoal/beads. They had a 'chimney' system self feeding/rolling into steel guttering to keep their temps optimum :-)

MB
16th July 2017, 07:00 PM
Winnie Chef mate, tis 6:30pm Tucker Time Skinless Smoked Apple Pork Belly pictures pretty please good man :-) !!

Winnie
16th July 2017, 07:07 PM
Winnie Chef mate, tis 6:30pm Tucker Time Skinless Smoked Apple Pork Belly pictures pretty please good man :-) !!So full of hope mate, little bit disappointing in the end. The meat wasn't very tender and the flavour in the rub was not very well suited for pork. I got the recipe from an American BBQ website and it was listed for pork.
Anyway, the apple sauce really got into the meat though and so did the smoke. Pretty nice in the end but wouldn't go to the effort with that recipe next time.
I think it's time to leave pork belly alone for a little while!

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/07/175.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/07/176.jpg

MB
16th July 2017, 07:12 PM
Aaargh, too self critical mate! Looks really friggin awesome:-)
Wasn't one of them bread only feed pigs was it mate, reputable butcher?

Winnie
16th July 2017, 07:19 PM
Wasn't one of them bread only feed pigs was it mate, reputable butcher?Woollies meat unfortunately =(
Our local pork abattoirs burned down a few weeks ago and my butcher is struggling to source any pork.

MB
16th July 2017, 07:26 PM
Fair call mate! Your new big backyard is perfect I reckon for some outa da window veggie scrap munching suckling oinkers :-) Check out some of AVO's pics, they don't grow too big ;-)

PeeBee
16th July 2017, 07:40 PM
Hmm, I've only got 1 bag of beads left so might try charcoal next time.
I'm trying to use less beads to keep the heat down. Maybe there weren't enough to keep the heat up and that's why they died out.

Winnie if the beads 'died' then I think it's more like crappy heat beads. They should burn to the core, perhaps a bit too much moisture got into them or poor manufacturing practice. Heat beads are'supposed' to be formed using high pressure and minimum moisture, but if the beads have a high percentage of poor quality brown coal that is wet, you probably won't win. I tend to use the 'heat bead' brand and find them larger and harder on the surface. The other brands are smaller and crumble more readily. I think your cooking style is fine, just maybe got caught with the bead quality, and as @sir roofs suggests, moist air isn't going to help either.

PeeBee
16th July 2017, 07:43 PM
Been thinking about getting one of these or making similar for home use only maybe Phil mate!
https://www.bunnings.com.au/heat-beads-bbq-chimney_p3170712
China a while back was street feasting on I hope awesome 'chicken skewers' over open charcoal/beads. They had a 'chimney' system self feeding/rolling into steel guttering to keep their temps optimum :-)

Have seen these also, and they would no doubt get you started quicker I reckon.

PeeBee
16th July 2017, 07:45 PM
Wasn't one of them bread only feed pigs was it mate, reputable butcher?

Agree with MB, too self critical. Looks good from here Winnie.

MB
16th July 2017, 07:56 PM
ET was right again I says! Getta room the lotta us :-) !

PeeBee
16th July 2017, 08:00 PM
This is a lot more interesting than contemplating the migratory path of jellyfish in the Atlantic Ocean, so I vote we keep going!