PDA

View Full Version : auxiliary battery charging

wildgu6
6th October 2016, 09:08 PM
Hi guys,
In the process of installing dual battery set up in the trol.
Got an ARB battery tray, fitted after turning into a magician.
Got a 100ah deep cycle which covers my needs.
Now Starting with a dumb arse Q: where is the best place to earth auxiliary batt' on a ZD30.
The next bit is doing my head in, isolator vs charger.
Will an isolator (Redarc sbi12d) be sufficient to keep a deep cycle charged or do I need to go for a charger.
Then it comes down to Redarc vs projecta, or are there other brands that people recommend?
What are the pros and cons, is one better than the other. What are you all running to keep your deep cycles charged? Any tips or advice will be much appreciated
Cheers guys

Pete

the evil twin
7th October 2016, 12:13 AM
IMHO an Aux in teh engine bay doesn't need a 'charger'.
The voltage drop from the Alt to the Aux is bugger all so an Isolator can charge much quicker than a 'charger'.
You only need the SBI12D if you are charging both ways (have solar or whatever hooked to the aux) otherwise an SBI12 is sufficient

Brand is kinda up to the individual but Redarc pretty much set the standard for the non-programmable jobbies

wildgu6
7th October 2016, 01:23 AM
IMHO an Aux in teh engine bay doesn't need a 'charger'.
The voltage drop from the Alt to the Aux is bugger all so an Isolator can charge much quicker than a 'charger'.
You only need the SBI12D if you are charging both ways (have solar or whatever hooked to the aux) otherwise an SBI12 is sufficient

Brand is kinda up to the individual but Redarc pretty much set the standard for the non-programmable jobbies

Cheers for that ET, mates with limited knowledge of elec's have been telling me I need a charger for a deep cycle, which kinda scattered my way of thinking. Was set on sbi12 or 12d for external charging until then, but you have cleared that up for me.
Cheers mate 👍

VK2FMIA
7th October 2016, 09:38 AM
Now Starting with a dumb arse Q: where is the best place to earth auxiliary batt' on a ZD30.

Using a bolt on top of the alternator for mine.

wildgu6
7th October 2016, 09:10 PM
Using a bolt on top of the alternator for mine.

Cheers bud, was looking at somewhere around there, didn't want to go to the body, risk of bad earth.