PDA

View Full Version : Perth to Alice via The Outback Way (Great Central Road) October 2016

Woof
24th September 2016, 06:32 PM
Hi all, will be leaving Perth about mid October and driving this road, just wondering if anyone has driven it and if they have any info on it.

I have purchased the Hema The Outback Way atlas & guide book (which was very hard to find) and researched the net everywhere I can.

Plan at the moment is to head to Alice Springs to see Ayres Rock, after that I will either keep going till Winton QLD or backtrack and head down the Oodnadatta Track to visit Lake Eyre as it will hopefully be full by the time I get there.
Once this part of my trip is complete I will be heading to NSW to visit my family for probably a few months.

Would be interested in campsites and things to see from people who have completed the trip.

I am planning to make a bit of a doco on the trip but we will see how I go with that.

Thanks in advance

the evil twin
24th September 2016, 07:15 PM
I would go the Oodnadatta option mate, inland NSW should have resurfaced by then... more to see and do that way

Cuppa
24th September 2016, 07:27 PM
Camp spot here for you if you make it down to Vic Doggy.

Haven’t yet done the Great Central Road, but have been to both ends of it at Laverton & at Kata Tjuta. Not sure how familiar you are with the Goldfields over there in WA, but I can let you know of a few good camp spots/places to visit over there if you’re interested. The dirt road between Leonora & Laverton follows the old railway track - some interesting history & places to park up for the night. If going to Uluru & you have time (sounds like you have) a couple of weeks exploring the Red Centre would be worthwhile. Boulia is worth a couple of days - make sure you seek out Dinosaur Dick Suter & have a yak with him - a true outback character who loves a yak. We loved Boulia, not a whole lot there but the locals wee really friendly. The Min Min museum is worth a gander too. We camped at the showgrounds but not sure if they are always open. If not there’s a caravan park in town. You might also enjoy a night at the Middleton hotel (camp at the ‘Hilton’ over the road). Friends recently camped at Conn Waterhole between Middleton & Winton for a few days & loved it. If you don’t have it, I’d suggest you invest a $5 or $10 (not sure current price) in the WikiCamps app for phone or iPad. (Can use it offline when no phone signal).

Woof
29th September 2016, 07:44 PM
All going well I should be starting my drive in about 3 weeks, roughly 9,600ks to Bathurst for xmas with my family then about 4,200ks home

Woof
11th October 2016, 08:29 PM
Cancelled due to stuff, maybe next year if stuff allows it

AB
11th October 2016, 08:50 PM
Cancelled due to stuff, maybe next year if stuff allows it Chin up Doggy, east is the best mate ;)

gubigfish
11th October 2016, 09:54 PM
Chin up Doggy, east is the best mate ;)

You're visas cancelled AB expect to be turned around and sent home on your next visit :tease: