PDA

View Full Version : EGT gauge not working? Can anyone help?

Brad2012crd
18th September 2016, 10:59 PM
Installed my boost and egt gauges today. Boost is fine. But egt gauge is not working. All installed as per the instrucions.

Lights up. Does its little dance round the gauge when ignition is first turned on but won't read anything.

Any help or ideas as to where to start looking would be awesome. Thanks.

Brad

Link to a video below.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1618586101753242/permalink/1807618122850038/

macca
19th September 2016, 06:18 AM
Installed my boost and egt gauges today. Boost is fine. But egt gauge is not working. All installed as per the instrucions.

Lights up. Does its little dance round the gauge when ignition is first turned on but won't read anything.

Any help or ideas as to where to start looking would be awesome. Thanks.

Brad

Link to a video below.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1618586101753242/permalink/1807618122850038/

Polarity of the sensor cable? I guess it should have a resistance if you can test it with an ohm meter, have no idea of what It might be though.

You will see a reading of the exhaust at all times not need to do highway speeds or a hill, if that was the case it is faulty. A firing engine sends heat out the exhaust all the time.

Another thing, is the probe in the gas flow? have you pushed it in far enough. Hold a ciggy lighter on the tip to see if something happens, don't really think you will but never know unless you try.

I read you followed instructions, but just asking the dumb questions, good luck.

the evil twin
19th September 2016, 11:35 AM
Continuity should be almost a short circuit but Thermocouples are a pretty tough so it is probably 95% chance it is OK

What colour are the thermocouple leads?
As Macca said, they are not necessarily intuitive IE red is -ve on many of them.
You could try swapping polarity (thermocouple not gauge power), it won't hurt anything

What range is the gauge, if it is 100 or 200 'zero' then you will need to load it up?
(Facebook is feral)

Kimbo63
19th September 2016, 12:11 PM
Seems to be reading 120deg on the vid try going up a hill with a bit of load on it

threedogs
19th September 2016, 02:42 PM
Where is the probe fitted about 100-150mm after the turbo on the dump pipe???

Brad2012crd
19th September 2016, 04:19 PM
The gauge starts at '0' so the first line is 20 degrees.

Yep the sender is about 100mm from the turbo.

Drove it today and while sitting at the lights stopped is suddenly went roundto 900 degrees and sat there. Pulledup at the shops and turned my lighta off and it went back to 0

4bye4
19th September 2016, 04:33 PM
The gauge starts at '0' so the first line is 20 degrees.

Yep the sender is about 100mm from the turbo.

Drove it today and while sitting at the lights stopped is suddenly went roundto 900 degrees and sat there. Pulledup at the shops and turned my lighta off and it went back to 0

Hmmm that last line may be a clue. Are you sure there are no wires loose or touching behind the gauge or earth problems with the gauge. Always sus when somthing happens when you switch a light on or off or the fuel gauge moves when you open the door or whatever.

the evil twin
19th September 2016, 05:30 PM
snip...

As I prev mentioned... have you double checked the thermocouple wiring polarity?
Have you double checked the power and lighting wires aren't rrse about
Probably 50% of gauges will do the above if the wiring is btf.

The system itself is simple IE the thermocouple is a voltage source and the gauge is a voltmeter

Brad2012crd
19th September 2016, 10:13 PM
Got it sorted. Swapped out the probe and works fine, so putting it down to a dodgy probe.

Mc4by
19th October 2016, 11:26 PM
Got it sorted. Swapped out the probe and works fine, so putting it down to a dodgy probe.

Where did you get the replacement probe? I have a similar problem.