PDA

View Full Version : Free Camps across the Nullabor

10G
15th September 2016, 11:13 AM
We're heading over to Esperance and I'm trying to pinpont camping spots along the way.

Coming from South West Vic, the first stop will be south east of Port Augusta, but where? Don't know yet?

Second night will be around Ceduna, maybe in a Caravan Park, not sure yet.

Third night around Madura WA

Fourth night Esperance.

I've never been across the Nullabor, never been further west than Ceduna.

Any help with regards to camp spots, things to see, where to avoid and any advice will be greatly appreciated.

BigRAWesty
15th September 2016, 12:18 PM
My advice is wikicamps app..
Brillant user based info an being a well traveled section there will be plenty of reviews of each spot.
However as it is user based just make sure there not sending you to a road side truck stop or similar.

Woof
15th September 2016, 01:25 PM
http://www.nullarbornet.com.au/
http://www.nullarbormap.com.au/

10G
15th September 2016, 01:37 PM
My advice is wikicamps app..
Brillant user based info an being a well traveled section there will be plenty of reviews of each spot.
However as it is user based just make sure there not sending you to a road side truck stop or similar.

Yep got that app, it is great. Just thought I'd ask the folks here as I can ask questions if they suggest anything.

Hey, new avatar mate.

gubigfish
15th September 2016, 01:37 PM
Head east of Esperance to find some in the National Parks of Cape Arid and Cape Le Grande thats about as much as I can offer. Theres also a Caravan park in between those 2 National parks called Duke of Orleans its about 40ks out of Condingup on the coast. Or do what the locals do and setup camp on the beach.

10G
15th September 2016, 01:55 PM
Head east of Esperance to find some in the National Parks of Cape Arid and Cape Le Grande.

That sounds like a great suggestion, we will look at that once we're over.

Thanks.

UncleFrosty
15th September 2016, 01:57 PM
Add Thomas River (mouth) into that mix too gubigfish/10G for east of Esp. Ranger there tho, so it's not free as such...
Whales with calves, and some super sized salmon off the rocks to the west of beach last time we were there a number of years ago.
Just beware of the ReallyBigFish...
Oh yeah, and avoid long weekends as most of population of Kal heads down to Espie and surrounds!!!

gubigfish
15th September 2016, 02:03 PM
If you feel like driving a bit further look into some of the spots west of Esperance Stokes National Park, Munglinup, Starvation Bay, Masons Bay and Hopetoun are worth a look

Found this might be worth a look http://www.exploreaustralia.net.au/Western-Australia/Esperance-and-Nullarbor/map

Woof
15th September 2016, 02:27 PM
This is what I have used previously, only just found it again
http://www.exploreaustralia.net.au/Stay/Rest-areas/Western-Australia

threedogs
15th September 2016, 02:30 PM
When I first went across {dirt '73] we just pulled over ,,went bush for a tick and pitched the tent
FYI Ive been across 16 times and not once have I been when it was all Bitumen,[M/cycle,car,bus]
even went across in the train as well. lol

10G
15th September 2016, 03:44 PM
Thanks everyone for the help, it's greatly appreciated, I'm really looking forward to finally standing in WA, I've been waiting for too long!

Woof
15th September 2016, 04:11 PM
Definitely call into http://headofbight.com.au/ well worth the short drive off the highway

Brissieboy
15th September 2016, 08:16 PM
If you're just after a place to stop for the night or have a break, there are heaps of pull-offs or rest areas all the way across; most of them are a loop off the road which goes behind the undergrowth.
But please be courteous and don't take up the space preventing the big fellas from entering and leaving - you can stop anywhere anytime, they have to stop when their log book time is up.

Cuppa
15th September 2016, 08:59 PM
The free camp at Newman Rock is one of the better free camps toward the western end of the Nullarbor. Also if you have time & want to camp on your own away from the highway & feel like you’re a million miles from civilisation you can take the track out to Cocklebiddy cave, about 10 to 12kms north of the highway. Not signposted ... ask at Cocklebiddy. The track divides multiple times, but it all joins up together eventually. The Cave is closed off btw.

Avo
18th September 2016, 08:48 AM
Theres a free camp about 20km out of esperance....Gibsons soak or well.....its at a pub...free camp pets allowed

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

the godfather
22nd September 2016, 01:05 PM
Ceduna to Madurah is a pretty short run. If you leave Cedunah at 8 you will be in Madurah by 2.
I would un hitch and head South down some tracks. There a loads of caves and an old Station home worth visiting.
I am pretty sure the Road house GPS coordinates for them.
I generally miss Ceduna (no offense to anyone but it is pretty ordinary) and take the extra 30 mins to get to Streaky Bay. Great food and beautiful spot.

Bush Ranger
22nd September 2016, 09:44 PM
There`s plenty of pull ins as mentioned before and I use to do just that when I traveled across. Keep an eye out for the sheltered rain water tanks along the way, you can`t miss them and they might be a good camping spot for you. Fraser Range Station is about 100 kilometres east of Norseman if you want a paid camp area and a shower. Try Bromus Dam, which is about 32 Ks south of Norseman and about 65 Ks north of Salmon Gums on the western side of Coolgardie Esperance Highway. I spent a night there once and liked it. If you have a yabby net, drop it in to the dam when you arrive there when you camp and pull it up in the morning. A small tin of cat food will help to attract the yabbies. Driving across the Nullarbor for the first time is great and don`t believe the people who say it`s boring. Stop at Eucla for the museum and the old telegraph station, plus the old jetty that you can still drive too.