PDA

View Full Version : GU wagon rear door stay (for the small door)

04OFF
21st April 2011, 12:18 PM
I couldn't find this anywhere on here, anyway, this is a idea i came up with mid last year , posted on another forum and so thought you guys with wagons might like it too.....

Id been getting slightly frustrated with the small rear door not staying open on my GU Wagon

A bit of wind at the beach or parked on a incline toward the drivers side and the little door soon becomes a pain in the backside (literally), the big rear door has a lock to prevent accidental closing but the little door has no means of retaining it safely in the open position.

I thought of things like drilling a hole and using a pin to keep the door open, but id forget and break it off for sure, i needed something easy and idiot (me) proof that also didnt need instructions for the family to use.

My solution, i fitted a Gas Strut to the small rear door of the GU , and it appears to work like a charm ,and on the flat (after the handle has been pulled) it will actually push open the door for you in a controlled manner.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/06082010247Medium.jpg

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/06082010248Medium.jpg

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/06082010249Medium.jpg

The strut i used is 290mm fully extended, ive been using this mod on my car since Aug 2010 and it has been one of the best (and cheapest) things ive done to the GU.

I saw the other day someone is now selling GU door strut kits on ebay (nothing to do with me at all)

growler2058
21st April 2011, 12:24 PM
Bloody ripper!!

Bacho86
21st April 2011, 12:33 PM
Thats a great idea - do you find the gas strut is strong enough on steep inclines or with a strong wing?

A little modification that I did to the barn doors was fit a rear door bracket extension from 4x4 equip - has made a huge difference in the opening the small barn door further and was super easy to install

04OFF
21st April 2011, 09:16 PM
Thats a great idea - do you find the gas strut is strong enough on steep inclines or with a strong wing?

Very good in any situation ive come across, Id have to say with mine, if its windy or steep enough that its not holding the door open, your going to be having a hard time standing on two feet :smiley_thumbs_up:

katwoman
21st April 2011, 09:26 PM
I've been looking at these on eBay, I think about $80-120 ? This looks a cheaper fix..
Thanks

my third 256
22nd April 2011, 02:20 AM

A little modification that I did to the barn doors was fit a rear door bracket extension from 4x4 equip - has made a huge difference in the opening the small barn door further and was super easy to install
i used a couple of washers behind original bracket to get the door to open up a little wider a lot cheeper

timbar
22nd April 2011, 03:01 AM
looks Like a Mint IDEA

04OFF
22nd April 2011, 07:49 AM
I've been looking at these on eBay, I think about $80-120 ? This looks a cheaper fix..
Thanks

I thought they had them for about $65 ?

I should point out, those ebay kits didn't appear until "after" i had posted this do it your self idea on the net (on other 4x4 forums), if you intended to get everything new to do the mod, the ebay kit is not too bad really.

If it comes with everything it say's in the ad, and has instructions for $65 it may be worth saving the stuff around chasing parts for some people.

Anyway, this is a pic of the actual type of bracket i used on mine.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/BRACKET-06.jpg

For those that want to look round the wreckers for bits, i came across a toyota hilux ute, the canopy windows had brackets like this i think would work ok ?.....
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/09092010255Large.jpg

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/09092010254Large.jpg

maphew
18th August 2011, 09:47 PM
Great idea, the barn door extender is awsome. Thanks for sharing.

Gerrit Loubser
19th September 2011, 02:56 AM
i used a couple of washers behind original bracket to get the door to open up a little wider a lot cheeper

Thanks a million. Now that is something I am definitely going to try.

Rip'n'Shred
9th February 2013, 02:01 PM
Just came across this thread thanks to Google. Thanks, it's a great idea.

mudski
9th February 2013, 02:39 PM
Can be had on Ebay now for $50. I ask the seller if it comes with the dimensions for the drilling but they never bothered to respond.

altech
10th February 2013, 02:15 PM
On a cheaper Note, I just took out the old bracket and using pliers to push in the tabs that will tighten the plastic rod, so it should be like new again , eg it holds door open regards Alex

P4trol
10th February 2013, 03:07 PM
Bracket for door to open wider: A stainless steel bracket can be had from ebay (US seller, so allow some delivery time) for less than $20.

Gas strut kit: Got mine from the ebay seller. Comes with 6 or so black & white pages of pictures. They aren't explicit enough to be of much use, unless you have seen the mod before. Once you have installed one, it would easy measure and buy more. I've only got one patrol... and it's his (the ebay sellers) turf. The actual door opens with a bit of force as the children -with heads about the height of the bottom of the door- can attest. I'm banking on the gas strut getting weaker over time, and it should still work. The kids of course should only take a few more 'near misses' to work around it.

mudski
10th February 2013, 09:03 PM
Sooooo can you provide us with the sellers info?
I know the mod won't be hard, I wanted to buy one off the guy I found but he/ she didn't respond so I guess they don't want my business. I just wanted to know if the measurements came with the strut or was I going to have to guess? I don't really want to be drilling more holes than i need too...

trekster
10th February 2013, 09:53 PM
I need to do something about mine on my '98 GU, thing is annoying my wife which is in turn annoying me, not only because she is complaining at me about it, but its giving me the shites too!!!!

On a cheaper Note, I just took out the old bracket and using pliers to push in the tabs that will tighten the plastic rod, so it should be like new again , eg it holds door open regards Alex

Are you talking about some bracket that is inside the door? Mine looks to be missing some sort of piece around the actual rod that goes inside the door, I have some struts here maybe I should just buy a couple of brackets to use one and keep the sucker open!

mudski
10th February 2013, 09:59 PM
Get the kit from here. But like i said, they didn't answer to my question so they won't get my business.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Barn-door-strut-Nissan-patrol-GU-and-GQ-/181077641934?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a29118ace

P4trol
10th February 2013, 10:53 PM
Yes, mudski, that's the ebay seller. How long did you wait?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nissan-Patrol-GU-REAR-DOOR-EXTENSION-BRACKET-/230921464339?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35c3fdea13 is the link for the stainless steel bracket. The seller is crhmachining (for when this link no longer works).

I'll take some pics.

altech
13th February 2013, 07:32 AM
Are you talking about some bracket that is inside the door? Mine looks to be missing some sort of piece around the actual rod that goes inside the door, I have some struts here maybe I should just buy a couple of brackets to use one and keep the sucker open!
Yes the metal bracket that slides the rod goes in & out , I just pull or pushed the metal into the rod, so it made the rod tight and doen'r matter if it's too tight as doors weight will work with you regards Alex

trekster
16th February 2013, 12:33 PM
Any chance of a pic? I'm totally lost now and I've reread what you said a couple of times. Cheers.

threedogs
16th February 2013, 12:39 PM
Click on patrol part on search bar if thats what its called,
to fit just quickly grind tit off the pin underneath, un bolt and re bolt new one 3 min job.

Mickyd188
31st July 2013, 04:37 PM
does this bracket work with 2006 with the extra plastic that the earlier one don't have

threedogs
31st July 2013, 05:14 PM
Should work on all GU , it stops just shy of rear brake lens.

Think I'll try to find some 290mm struts,
cause not paying $55 for a $20 item
When I find them I'll get a few, do they need to
be a certain pressure ??

Mickyd188
31st July 2013, 05:38 PM
cool might have to get one then

mudski
31st July 2013, 06:57 PM
What TD is talking about is different to what the OP is. The OP is referring to a little mod using a gas strut under the rear LH barn door to hold it open when sitting on uneven ground. The pic TD has is an extension bracket to let the door open that little bit more. Low pressure TD for the strut mate. Otherwise you won't shut it. I did have all the dimension written down somewhere on whats needed to make it up. But as usual, I put it somewhere I wouldn't lose it. And guess what?

Mickyd188
1st August 2013, 12:34 PM
yeah that stut would be handy on a hill, that's for sure

P4trol
1st August 2013, 04:16 PM
I see I promised pics earlier. Oops.

As I may have said, I bought the strut off eBay. Initially it seems too powerful, but allowing for fade, is ok after a few months.

mudski
1st August 2013, 04:41 PM
I see I promised pics earlier. Oops.

As I may have said, I bought the strut off eBay. Initially it seems too powerful, but allowing for fade, is ok after a few months.
Well guess what mate? Your gonna have to supply us fellow patrollers with some pics of the strut, number on the strut, pics of each end attachment and dimensions of where to mount the brackets. :) Please. Pretty please. I've been wanting to do this mod for yonks and can't find the info I had on it. Plus the dude on Ebay is no longer there.

04OFF
1st August 2013, 08:03 PM
Once i get my car back ( couple of weeks) ill get the relevent info for you from the strut on my car. :p

And BTW, the original strut i used when i came up with this mod is still going strong.

I also re-designed the ball/mount slightly on the door side for better clearance, this also gave enough room to use large washers to stop any minor flex visible in the door metal.

threedogs
2nd August 2013, 11:43 AM
OK I sourced a gas strut and its 340 not 290 long fully extended it says 100Nm Looks like it will work,
But like you said might need to modify the door bracket a touch

threedogs
3rd August 2013, 09:08 AM
@ Mudski might be talking in riddles again but I was referring to pressure of gas strut, from what I gather 10Nm translate to 1kg, so a gas strut with 100Nm will do 10 Kg.
Which is what my 340mm strut is. Do you want me to grab you one in my travels. I just put 300Nm on the Bonnet but think they need to be min 500-600Nm
I'm good to go , but will go see my sheet metal guy he knows how to fit these struts,
as Mudski said don't want to be drilling holes every where. I'll do pics of install as well.
I'll see him Monday Morning
@ 4OFF where was your main concern just clearance on plastic bumper when closing ??

04OFF
3rd August 2013, 10:32 PM
[QUOTE=threedogs;405429@ 4OFF where was your main concern just clearance on plastic bumper when closing ??[/QUOTE]

Normal use is no problem, but, Long term hardish core off roading left rub marks on the top of the plasic bar, not a big issue, until the paint comes off the strut, then the strut gets surface rust, then the brown rust stain gets rubbed off on the plasic bar, and looks s#*t, just 2mm more clearance stops this happening. :wink:

threedogs
10th August 2013, 04:15 PM
Here's a bit of an Update ,been waiting for my rivnut tool to arrive, hate borrowing my mates.
Bit tricky drilling hole but got it done, I just went off where 4OFFs was, I've only used one rivnut M5 at the moment.
Compressed the strut 20mm if that and marked under the door and drilled to suit 8mm bolt.. Works A treat even opens by itself,
and stays open. The Strut I used was 340mm long and 100Nm, Happy camper ,happy days, Will put 2nd rivnut on body side later.
As 4OFF says strut just touches bumper, but I can live with it as very miniscule.

Edit:: as you can see I've used the centre hole, if need be I can shift either way

Edit 2 :: more pics to show how it just touches when closed and clearance underneath, could put a
small piece of Mylar there but don't think it will mark up at all, bumper doesn't move

threedogs
17th August 2013, 11:51 AM
Bumped for update:: with Melbourne wild winds yesterday I picked up the MOF at the supermarket after shopping.
All I can say is the wind did not close the door it just stayed opened, Yes great mod, happy camper.
Maybe its possible to do to the GQ as well?

Edit :: previous post I used an M5 not M3 rivnut

threedogs
8th November 2013, 03:57 PM
Found these on Fleabay that would do the job
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/70mm-Stroke-25kg-55lb-Force-Lift-Strut-Prop-Damper-Auto-Gas-Spring-/300826944053?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item460aaee235#ht_2281wt_1255
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/111102818610?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_1087wt_1018

viking
19th November 2013, 03:44 AM
sometimes its so simple, well done. I need to do similar...

Bush Ranger
10th September 2016, 09:20 PM
I have replaced my bonnet gas struts a few weeks back and wondering if one of them be useful to put on to the small barn door. They still have pressure, but not enough to hold up the bonnet.

mudski
11th September 2016, 10:29 AM
Might be too long. 300mm from memory is the length needed.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk