PDA

View Full Version : Grand final long weekend trip EOI

Bacho86
3rd September 2016, 11:58 AM
Been tossing up idea of going away camping for the grand final weekend -- anyone got anything planned or thinking of doing something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mudski
3rd September 2016, 05:39 PM
Hmm. Should be pretty quiet....

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk

AB
3rd September 2016, 05:44 PM
Where were you thinking of going?

Winnie
3rd September 2016, 06:01 PM
We are going to camp at Blake snake camp ground in Dargo that weekend, it's Amy's birthday that weekend too.

jay see
4th September 2016, 01:22 AM
Would like to get away with the sports finished for the season, but it getting close to settlement so if anything it would be a last minute thing.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Bacho86
4th September 2016, 12:13 PM
Hmm. Should be pretty quiet....

Does that mean you'd be interested....

Where were you thinking of going?

No grand plans yet, just want to get out -- somewhere high country that's still open for a couple nights. Aberfeldy region perhaps?

Winnie
4th September 2016, 12:17 PM
Feel free to camp in with us if you're interested.

mudski
4th September 2016, 01:55 PM
Does that mean you'd be interested....

No grand plans yet, just want to get out -- somewhere high country that's still open for a couple nights. Aberfeldy region perhaps?

Interested yes. Can i go? Not sure. Love to but trying to finish the house leaves not much time for anything lately. So it can only be last minute for me.

Bacho86
4th September 2016, 11:24 PM
Feel free to camp in with us if you're interested.

Thanks for the offer Winnie. We just caught up with the family for Father's Day and they're all thinking about going up to Running Creek area, so might end up camping there for a few days

Bacho86
7th September 2016, 07:39 PM
Hodge or any others - can you recommend any good sight seeing or general family orientated tracks around running creek ?

If anyone is in the area feel free to stop by and say hello

Hodge
7th September 2016, 08:03 PM
@Hodge (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/member.php?u=15680) or any others - can you recommend any good sight seeing or general family orientated tracks around running creek ?

The only one I really know of mate is the slate mine. Nothing to see there but slate and shail. But awesome car photo/scenic spot if you can get the the "top" of the slate mine. Last time we were there it was very treacherous and dug up so called it safe and stayed at the road level of the mine.

It's 20-30 minutes from running creek. Take Symes-Mitchells track if you want a more "interesting" trip there especially when wet.

You will love that camping ground. It's definitely my fave. Lost count how many times I've been there.
Just be mindful the mansfield cops and fisheries traverse through there at least once a day.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=68942&stc=1

mudski
7th September 2016, 08:09 PM
Hodge or any others - can you recommend any good sight seeing or general family orientated tracks around running creek ?

You have the Slate mine close by just up Steiners rd, also Frys hut down the Howqua Hills tk. If its raining it will be intrresting donw the first part off Steiners rd. Past Frys is Sheepyards and further along, in tunnel bend, tunnel that goes under the road on a corner section of the Howqua river. Further along, bit further, is Bluff hut and Bindaree falls. It would be a good day drive to see al that.
Even from Bindaree you could keep going around, anti clockwise and loop around Buller and head to King river hut.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
Just realised the track down to Frys will be closed, so will the track past the slate mine down to Mitchels.

Bacho86
7th September 2016, 08:30 PM
Thanks Eric - we'll be on our best behaviour!.

Mark, I'll make sure that I check all the track closures in the area before planning anything. Cheers

Hodge
7th September 2016, 08:37 PM
Also I've posted this picture here before some where. If you want the best spot at Running creek. "The fallen log spot". Enormous log was turned into the river bank and then filled up and flattened to make great camp and fishing spot!! Spot big enough for 4-5 cars easy...

I've circled it in red.
You will notice everyone who arrives there, goes for that spot first, and if it's taken, they drive past or turn around and look elsewhere with sour faces. lol

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=68945&stc=1

Hodge
7th September 2016, 08:39 PM
Sorry one more post from me. Last time I was there 3 weeks ago, the river was pretty gnarly and nobody dared cross it the current would hahve eaten the patrol for brekky. So don't know what it's like now.

Bacho86
7th September 2016, 08:54 PM
Sorry one more post from me. Last time I was there 3 weeks ago, the river was pretty gnarly and nobody dared cross it the current would hahve eaten the patrol for brekky. So don't know what it's like now.

Thanks mate, appreciate all the info!!

We'll properly only get there around lunch time id guess, so chances are the spot will be taken but well have a look regardless!

Hopefully by next month the rivers will have calmed down enough to cross

Hodge
26th September 2016, 10:24 AM
@Bacho86 (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/member.php?u=2418)

Hey buddy. Though I'd let you know, my workmate just returned from that area from over the weekend. As of last Friday/Saturday, running creek was supposedly shut, due to flood / river too high and/or fallen trees.
Since you're going this weekend it may pay to check with the authorities before you head there ...

Edit: Forgot to mention Howqua is super high in that region. So I don't know how you will get to spots I recommended. Providing the place is open. Good luck.

Bacho86
26th September 2016, 08:07 PM
@Bacho86 (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/member.php?u=2418)

Hey buddy. Though I'd let you know, my workmate just returned from that area from over the weekend. As of last Friday/Saturday, running creek was supposedly shut, due to flood / river too high and/or fallen trees.
Since you're going this weekend it may pay to check with the authorities before you head there ...

Edit: Forgot to mention Howqua is super high in that region. So I don't know how you will get to spots I recommended. Providing the place is open. Good luck.

Thanks for the heads up mate!!

My long weekend plans got changed last week - wife is flying to Canada on Thursday morning for 10 days for a family matter, so I'll be playing daddy day care at home for a while with the 2 kids.