PDA

View Full Version : where to start

kumarST
21st April 2011, 12:34 AM
hi guys

need some help to get mod started in trol . going to do some touring and off-road stuff , what should i do?? dawes need;e valve , EGt , boost gauge ??etc where can i go to get it done reliably by mechanic ???? had in mind 2' lift , suspension upgrade , EGR block , . Thanks in advance

growler2058
21st April 2011, 08:17 AM
Tyres, suspension but work out exactly what you wanna use your troll for to get the best bang for your buck, research research research. The other gear i cant comment on i got GQ td42 no mod cons

04OFF
27th April 2011, 08:16 PM
Best thing i did to my GU wagon was to fit a 2'' lift kit, cost me $500 and i spent a few hours to fit it myself, it changed the car so much because my old factory suspension had sagged heaps, the 2 inch lift raised the cars total hight 4 inches.

kumarST
28th April 2011, 01:22 AM
cool ...looks like suspension is the place to start ...lol

timbar
28th April 2011, 01:31 AM
G'day mate - welcome aboard join in and have fun mate plenty to do see and if u have any problems just ask and im sure u will get an answer ENJOY and WELCOME

Tim

the evil twin
28th April 2011, 11:38 AM
Hmmm... kinda depends exactly what you want to do.

2 inch lift - most popular lift 'cause you can do it at home and has minimum flow on effect IE you usually (I stress usually) don't need extended brake lines, correction kits, adj Panhards etc etc. Gives you a slightly better approach, departure and ramp over angles. Not a terrible lot of point in doing a suspension lift unless you want to run bigger tyres

Sooo - 33 (or 35) inch tyres - 33's give you up to an extra inch of ground clearance and also improve the clearance angles further. Most people who do a 2 inch lift will then fit 33's. The one downside is you will lose some fuel economy and is more noticeable if you tow. 35's start getting pretty expensive but do give a significant diff pumpkin clearance however you will prob need to adjust your diff ratios or consider crawler gears depending on what you do.

IMHO if you can't get there with 2 inch and 33's then it is starting to get pretty gnarly and you need to be looking at some fairly serious toughening up Mods for the truck not just clearance mods. If I am touring and can't get there with that combo of 2 inch and 33's I don't want the risk of breaking the truck so I head off somewhere else. I reckon the idea is to get there and more importantly back.

Get your instrumentation sorted (Boost and EGT) before you go blocking EGR etc. The effects vary between vehicles but some of these Mods have a large effect on EGT, Boost spikes etc. and the instruments help keep an eye on the MAF sensor performance...speaking of the MAF give it a clean with Contact Cleaner every 20,000 K's or so (maybe 10,000 if you have a lot of oil blow by or really dirty air).

ZD30's respond really well to a better exhaust, Chip and EGR block and that is probably the order I would do them. From what I have seen/read/heard on the Di as opposed to the CRD's a Catch Can is a great idea as well. If you block EGR the 'optimum' control of the Turbo and therefore EGT's is by Dawes and Needle valves. I haven't done that yet but if you don't you MUST adjust the VNT screw to reduce Boost spikes/over pressure hence get the Instruments first

I leave the accessories like Spotties, Winches, Bars, Radios, GPS, Wheel Carriers, Draw Systems and Racks etc up to individual preference just remember every kilo you add should have a purpose or application that you will use. Patrols can only carry an extra 600 to 800 Kg's before they hit GVM so a couple of Adults or small family plus gear doesn't leave a lot of margin for dirty great dual wheel carriers, winch bars, roof racks plus they cost you dearly in fuel.

My opinions only and others may disagree also there is a heap of vehicles that have done "this" mod and not "that" mod and it works well for the owners so I am not saying you HAVE to do 2 inch AND 33's for example... it is just what is perhaps considered the "norm" and also what I have done to mine and I think mine is a pretty kickrrse Tourer that also handles off road conditions quite well when I 'get there'.

Phew long post but hope it helps...

Sir Roofy
28th April 2011, 02:38 PM
Welcome aboard mate enjoy your stay
what e,t has said just about sums it all up to having a good tourer

kumarST
29th April 2011, 10:51 AM
thanks ...for your help , another question ??

instead or dawes needle valve , can i put in Turbosmart boost controller instead

YNOT
29th April 2011, 01:43 PM
For an '04 GU4 3l you will need a dawes and needle valve to work with the variable nozzle turbo.
Turbosmart boost controllers only work on wastegated turbos.

Tony

scrubrat
30th April 2011, 09:24 PM
Best thing i did to my GU wagon was to fit a 2'' lift kit, cost me $500 and i spent a few hours to fit it myself, it changed the car so much because my old factory suspension had sagged heaps, the 2 inch lift raised the cars total hight 4 inches.

Did you fit bigger tyres after the 2" lift and did you need to extend brake lines or modify anything else.

Cheers
Gary

YNOT
30th April 2011, 09:29 PM
Did you fit bigger tyres after the 2" lift and did you need to extend brake lines or modify anything else.

Cheers
Gary

Standard brake lines are OK on a 2" lift.

Tony

flemj
4th May 2011, 09:27 PM
How the mods going?

My thoughts a 2 inch lift and a winch bar even if you cant afford the winch yet.

John