PDA

View Full Version : Swags on Roof Racks

10G
31st August 2016, 10:19 AM
I feel this is a stupid question, but I don't have any experience, so here goes.

Carrying swags on roof racks. Don't they get all wet and dusty & dirty and when you roll them out to use they will be unuseable because of it?

Or do they somehow magically stay pretty dry & clean?

Now I don't have a ute any longer, the swags will have to go on the roof of my wagon, hence me asking.

threedogs
31st August 2016, 10:39 AM
You could put them under a roof top zip up bag, before they were invented I just used
large rubbish bags. Mount them across to prevent water ingress Youd be surprised how little
get in

PM AB regarding the Roof top bags they cant be long now lol
I think MSA sell swag bags

4bye4
31st August 2016, 10:39 AM
I feel this is a stupid question, but I don't have any experience, so here goes.

Carrying swags on roof racks. Don't they get all wet and dusty & dirty and when you roll them out to use they will be unuseable because of it?

Now I don't have a ute any longer, the swags will have to go on the roof of my wagon, hence me asking.
G'day mate, depends on the weather and the roads and the distance you are travelling, but the fact is dust and moisture will get in anywhere given time. Driving through rain for hours on end to find your bed is somewhere between soaked and just a bit damp is not my idea of fun. Get a roof top bag if thats the way you have to go.
Cheers Tony

Sir Roofy
31st August 2016, 11:05 AM
we have found the ARB Gear bag to work well for us on the roof
keeps the swags clean and dry but remember a storm will test any bag or cover
that you have

mudski
31st August 2016, 11:18 AM
I use a swag bag made from PVC. Had my swag on the roof in heavy rain and was no issues. Was about $90 from memory.

10G
31st August 2016, 11:22 AM
Thanks guys. I see so many swags just thrown up on rooves, I wasn't sure if there was a swag god that protected them or those people didn't know any better. Time look for some bags.

mudski
31st August 2016, 11:24 AM
I think this is where I got mine from. Though they seem to have made them better than the last one I got. Now I have another swag I need to get another bag...
http://www.wildearth.com.au/buy/burke-and-wills-pvc-double-size-swag-bag/swagbag3

10G
31st August 2016, 11:44 AM
I have to get a new swag, I didn't know they could shrink like my clothes do, so I'll check out bags as well.

Winnie
31st August 2016, 11:51 AM
My Kings swag came with a canvas bag, I drove through a huge storm up at Woods Point for hours. When we got to camp late at night I rolled the swag out and it was dry as a bone.
Surprised the hell out of me because I was expecting a saturated mess.

mudski
31st August 2016, 11:53 AM
My Kings swag came with a canvas bag, I drove through a huge storm up at Woods Point for hours. When we got to camp late at night I rolled the swag out and it was dry as a bone.
Surprised the hell out of me because I was expecting a saturated mess.

Thats good to know winnie. As I have the same swag and just assumed the bag would be like a sponge and soak the water up.

BigRAWesty
31st August 2016, 01:30 PM
As the guys have mentioned RT bags are a great idea.. keep all your crap dry.
On my single the bottom has studs along the edge which the top clips to so when rolled up its sort of sealed..
If it's raining I rolled mine up then into a tarp..
Then strapped down..
But now I have a RT big..
Much easier..

Fark it I'm gunna beet clunk..
@AB..
Where are the redback roof top bags!!!

threedogs
31st August 2016, 01:46 PM
I have to get a new swag, I didn't know they could shrink like my clothes do, so I'll check out bags as well.

I have a brand new King single if you're interested.
Never got around to using it. It has a bag as well

4bye4
31st August 2016, 02:39 PM
Fark it I'm gunna beet clunk..
@AB..
Where are the redback roof top bags!!!
Need a Red Back Swag Bag.

katwoman
31st August 2016, 02:43 PM
We got PVC ones from the local camping store, but for the double swag the old boy made one out of canvas as we couldn't get one big enough at the time. He made it slightly longer for extra blankets, ect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

threedogs
31st August 2016, 02:48 PM
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/OZTRAIL-MITCHELL-DOUBLE-CANVAS-SWAG-CARRY-BAG-150-x-50-x-50cm-/330818105118?hash=item4d064baf1e:g:O9sAAOxy4c5RvAz 3
Pack it with the zip down shouldnt have any problems

OR

This one looks to be the bee's knees of swag bags
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SINGLE-Swag-bag-ripstop-pvc-pig-hunting-camping-fishing-4x4-/182230793633?hash=item2a6dcd3da1:g:ASEAAOxySoJTSyw w

mudski
31st August 2016, 03:23 PM
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/OZTRAIL-MITCHELL-DOUBLE-CANVAS-SWAG-CARRY-BAG-150-x-50-x-50cm-/330818105118?hash=item4d064baf1e:g:O9sAAOxy4c5RvAz 3
Pack it with the zip down shouldnt have any problems

OR

This one looks to be the bee's knees of swag bags
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SINGLE-Swag-bag-ripstop-pvc-pig-hunting-camping-fishing-4x4-/182230793633?hash=item2a6dcd3da1:g:ASEAAOxySoJTSyw w

I just bought this one....
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/171514495995?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Same brand as my other one but it must be a newer design as its a bit different. I looked at the canvas ones but canvas still isn't totally waterproof. The PVC bag wont be around the stitching but still waterproof.

10G
31st August 2016, 03:56 PM
I have a brand new King single if you're interested.
Never got around to using it. It has a bag as well

Just PMd ya mate.

10G
31st August 2016, 04:05 PM
Was just thinking, I got a thread going on compact camp chairs. I could get a third bag and put my chairs in one, then all that stuff can go on the roof.

This is working out well, thanks everyone.

threedogs
31st August 2016, 04:20 PM
Was just thinking, I got a thread going on compact camp chairs. I could get a third bag and put my chairs in one, then all that stuff can go on the roof.

This is working out well, thanks everyone.

Yeah chairs and swags are std fare for the roof rack things that only need to be taken down once
PM received mate thanks
It something like this,,,,,,,,,, http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/King-Single-Swag-Weisshorn-Camping-Swags-Canvas-Tent-Deluxe-Aluminum-3-Poles-Bag-/351557389969?var=&hash=item51da740e91:m:mAkcjBF5VsidkMzU6Rp_ouA

lucus30
31st August 2016, 04:48 PM
I just bought this one....
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/171514495995?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Same brand as my other one but it must be a newer design as its a bit different. I looked at the canvas ones but canvas still isn't totally waterproof. The PVC bag wont be around the stitching but still waterproof.
Let me know what you think when you get it

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Hodge
31st August 2016, 07:22 PM
As if bag the swag, it's a swag it's meant to get dirty. My ARB swag always lives on the roof when going away and when coming home.
Usually I bring half the high country dust back home in my swag collected on the way back just hose it off when home and dry out. Easy.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=68863&stc=1

mudski
31st August 2016, 08:26 PM
As if bag the swag, it's a swag it's meant to get dirty. My ARB swag always lives on the roof when going away and when coming home.
Usually I bring half the high country dust back home in my swag collected on the way back just hose it off when home and dry out. Easy.

Its all good Eric is the suns out. Dirty isnt my issue, getting the bed wet is. The last thing i would want is to go away for a weekend, drive up in the rain, only to find out water has seeped in and now my bed is wet. Yhat would mean i would have to bunk up in your swag and spoon.[emoji1]

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Hodge
31st August 2016, 08:31 PM
Its all good Eric is the suns out. Dirty isnt my issue, getting the bed wet is. The last thing i would want is to go away for a weekend, drive up in the rain, only to find out water has seeped in and now my bed is wet. Yhat would mean i would have to bunk up in your swag and spoon.[emoji1]

Good swag is the key. lol
I drove up in full rain 2 weeks ago and thought oh shit, wet bed tonight as my sleeping bag, pillow and blankets are rolled up inside the sad. Got to Jamieson unrolled it soakingwet, not a drop inside!!! Lucky. Same thing happened last year when I drove through a downpour just before Yea.

For what it's worth. Aldi as the 4wd stuff coming september 3rd, and one of those items is a roof top bag... Maybe good for a swag ? I might go have a look.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=68864&stc=1

mudski
31st August 2016, 08:43 PM
Yeah i know the swags are waterproof but it only takes water to get in one section and ruin your sleep. The swag bag is insurance i think. Those Aldi rooftop bags wont fit a double swag too.

AGman
31st August 2016, 09:11 PM
I saw Darche had a really good looking swag bag at the 4x4 show, it had a really good zip design and was vinyl, doesn't look like its on their website though...

mudski
1st September 2016, 09:34 AM

Great view from the slate mine too hey? Had a copper chase me up to their a few years back when I was riding my trail bike out that way. As he tried to stop me for a licence check when I was going full noise up a snotty hill climb. He was coming down and decided to just block the track. I just went around him and made a run for it to the slate mine. The look on his face was priceless when he caught up with me. Lol.

10G
1st September 2016, 03:20 PM
Well this has been a worthwhile exercise, I've solved about 3 problems with 1 item.

I splashed out a bought a Drifta roof top bag. That'll be big enough for 1, maybe 2 swags, 2 camp chairs and some other odds and ends that need to go somewhere.

Thanks everyone who contributed.

mudski
5th September 2016, 11:23 AM
Let me know what you think when you get it

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Just turned up now.
Same as my other one, but different straps. The only thing I can't figure out is how to fold up the end where the massive clip thingo is. SO I just loop it around the carry handle. Seems to work fine. Good value I reckon. I could even have my doona and pillow rolled up in the swag and it would still fit in the bag. Plus they gave me a $10 gift voucher too.

oncedisturbed
5th September 2016, 11:44 AM
Keep the straps open, then fold / roll the bag closed and then curve it until the clips fit together.

They're based on the dry bags for kayaker a etc

Never underestimate the power of the tap, let it flow through you.

mudski
5th September 2016, 12:01 PM
Keep the straps open, then fold / roll the bag closed and then curve it until the clips fit together.

They're based on the dry bags for kayaker a etc

Haha! Now that would make sense....Thank you!:smiley_thumbs_up:

oncedisturbed
5th September 2016, 12:22 PM
No worries

threedogs
5th September 2016, 02:25 PM
Great view from the slate mine too hey? Had a copper chase me up to their a few years back when I was riding my trail bike out that way. As he tried to stop me for a licence check when I was going full noise up a snotty hill climb. He was coming down and decided to just block the track. I just went around him and made a run for it to the slate mine. The look on his face was priceless when he caught up with me. Lol.

No way I'd pack my swag "length wise" Ive always packed mine across the patrol with the open down.
Flogged rain all the way home from Birdsville Sept 94 and not a drop in the front swag copping all the weather.
Just saying

threedogs
5th September 2016, 02:28 PM
Yeah i know the swags are waterproof but it only takes water to get in one section and ruin your sleep. The swag bag is insurance i think. Those Aldi rooftop bags wont fit a double swag too.

Have you done a link to your swag bags Mark ??

mudski
5th September 2016, 03:28 PM
Have you done a link to your swag bags Mark ??

Sorry mate. I thought I did.

the evil twin
5th September 2016, 04:05 PM
Nice looking bag...

I also discovered that if your waterproof swag is waterproof and the bedding inside gets wet then your waterproof swag isn't waterproof and you are better off buying a waterproof swag that is waterproof so your bedding doesn't get wet...

just sayin'

threedogs
5th September 2016, 04:16 PM
I saw Darche had a really good looking swag bag at the 4x4 show, it had a really good zip design and was vinyl, doesn't look like its on their website though...

This is a very large one. but its a Darche
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Darche-Outbound-1400-Swag-and-Gear-Bag-/191817272292?hash=item2ca9334be4:g:iScAAOSwzgRW1hk Y

DX grunt
5th September 2016, 05:11 PM

Easy question to answer.......

Go to your local bedding shop and get the left over plastic that comes with new mattresses - preferably not ripped. Single or queen should do the trick. To fit a double swag, you might need a couple of king size mattress plastics.

Put your swag in one or two of them then roll the swag up in the plastic. Should keep the snow, dirt and dust out of them. lol.

That'll be 20 bucks, thanks. lol.

Rossco

AGman
6th September 2016, 04:50 PM
This is a very large one. but its a Darche
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Darche-Outbound-1400-Swag-and-Gear-Bag-/191817272292?hash=item2ca9334be4:g:iScAAOSwzgRW1hk Y

Yeah I saw that one but its canvas. The ones at the show were vinyl or a similar plastic material.

threedogs
6th September 2016, 04:58 PM
Yeah I saw that one but its canvas. The ones at the show were vinyl or a similar plastic material.

Yeah reckon I'd want one made from some
kind of ripstop weather proof plastic material
no zip but a good over-lap.
Got a mate whos a trimmer will see what he can come up with

oncedisturbed
6th September 2016, 09:20 PM
I use the Aussie Swag canvas bags for all my swags and have for a few issues and never had an issue with them getting soaked.

It's rip stop canvas like the old army duffle bag style and seasoned the same way you would a swag