PDA

View Full Version : Air tanks?

bazzaboy
20th August 2016, 08:38 AM
I need a new project and I was thinking about installing my spare ARB compressor with an air tank in the rear somewhere to be used for airing up tyres. I know a number of you have already done this so I'm after some advise .....

Is it worth it, is it an advantage, or am I better off sticking with my Thumper when needed? If the answer is yes, what size air tank do you recommend to make it viable, bearing it mind the available spaces inside or under my y61?

Thanks guys

the evil twin
20th August 2016, 12:12 PM
Got one in my Ute, about 20 litre or so up under the Tray.
Great addition IMHO, quicker to air up, you can run kickarrse air horns, add a small reg and you can run Air Tools.

Hard to squeeze that big a tank in a Wagon of course but you could maybe run two small tanks to give you decent reservoir capacity

threedogs
20th August 2016, 01:00 PM
You could fit a 4 gallon tank on your cargo barrier, I have tank and pump in one bolted there,
you can also bolts a tank up along the sills, Best thing ever great for air tools as ET stated,
good for blowing out air filters out bush too.

Cuppa
20th August 2016, 01:28 PM
I have a 9 litre tank fitted with the Boss PX07 compressor. Handy when using an air gun, but probably not big enough for a lot of air tools except for short bursts. A mate has used the same compressor to inflate 20” tyres on his OKA for years without a tank. Not sure I’d bother with a tank if starting again. FWIW the Boss tanks (several different sizes) are excellent quality & relatively lightweight being alloy, also means no long term issues with rusting from inside.

threedogs
20th August 2016, 01:54 PM
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Air-Compressor-for-Train-Horn-12-Volt-Max-150-PSI-with-Pressure-Switch-/172147007718?hash=item2814c2e0e6:g:-SIAAOSwAvJW9csz

This will run my front locker and air horn,
15yrs ago I had a set up like Cuppa's same tank and pump
The tanks come in a variety of sizes from 3ltr hotdog ones
that fit along the sills to larger, or you could just use a portable tank
pre filled,
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/5-GALLON-PORTABLE-AIR-TANK-WITH-LINE-GAUGE-125PSI-18-92L-HIGH-QUALITY-LIKEAUTO-/321417297179?hash=item4ad5f6bd1b:g:8T8AAOxyeR9THqI V

MB
20th August 2016, 11:06 PM
Top idea Bazza, works well for me too.
Roughly 20L ute chassis mounted tank to 150psi off an ARB twin.
Great for quick tyre inflate blasts 0< >40psi (30-60 secs 'guesstimate' on a 33" 60+ on 35")
By the time you've moved to next tyre, tank is back to 150psi blast ready again.

the evil twin
20th August 2016, 11:21 PM
... forgot to mention that an air tank means it is easy peasy to reseat a bead as well

MB
20th August 2016, 11:22 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/254.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/255.jpg
Angle Iron off the cab chassis cross, not sure if this location would work on a wagon body though with final tank top height.
Sorry ThreeDogs, personally not so keen on the idea of highly compressed air and heavy steel behind a cargo barrier at passengers head height you mean? I'm sure like always I've got it wrong again :-( !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MB
21st August 2016, 01:07 AM
https://youtu.be/abH9__WKMhc

bazzaboy
21st August 2016, 08:03 AM
Top idea Bazza, works well for me too.
Roughly 20L ute chassis mounted tank to 150psi off an ARB twin.
Great for quick tyre inflate blasts 0< >40psi (30-60 secs 'guesstimate' on a 33" 60+ on 35")
By the time you've moved to next tyre, tank is back to 150psi blast ready again.

Thanks for the numbers MB, good to know. I also agree with you on the location of the tank. I think if I'm to go ahead with this, for my peace of mind, the tank needs to be able to fit under the truck. If this is possible I may be able to go for a much larger capacity tank. This would would open up more options for it's use and make the effort & expensive justifiable.

Thanks MB. ( Thanks all )

NissanGQ4.2
21st August 2016, 08:56 AM
bazzaboy do you every travel past the lower blue mountains?

I have what I assume is a 25ltr MAN truck air tank not being used that you could borrow 2 give you ideas what will fit where.

Its old and heavy and assume air tanks these days are much lighter but its here if you think it might help you out.

Kimbo63
21st August 2016, 09:36 AM
Hi Bazza
I have the same 9L tank as Cuppa fitted in the rear left wheel well of my wagon out of mind out of site wotks for me not much room under the wagon on my rig

bazzaboy
21st August 2016, 10:18 AM
Thanks mate for your kind offer but I have two scuba tanks ( shorts ) that I may use. They are thick walled and have more that enough pressure rating.

Bazza

bazzaboy do you every travel past the lower blue mountains?

I have what I assume is a 25ltr MAN truck air tank not being used that you could borrow 2 give you ideas what will fit where.

Its old and heavy and assume air tanks these days are much lighter but its here if you think it might help you out.

NissanGQ4.2
21st August 2016, 10:31 AM
Thanks mate for your kind offer but I have two scuba tanks ( shorts ) that I may use. They are thick walled and have more that enough pressure rating.

Bazza

No worries at all Bazza

threedogs
21st August 2016, 01:18 PM

Bazza

Big weight difference from a scuba tank to whats available today.
I just threw out two alloy scuba tanks way too heavy