PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Rod storage?

tracemul7
19th April 2011, 04:30 PM
Hey All,

Anyone got any advice about where to store our finishing rods? We're going camping for a week in Streaky Bay with some friends (from Adelaide). Driving out there across 2 days and back in 1 day.
We have 4 fishing roads (1 surf, 2 normal and 1 kids) - and not sure what to do.

We have 2 Rhino roof bars on the patrol, so thought about strapping the rods to the bars . . .any suggestions?

Bob
19th April 2011, 04:33 PM
I would put them in a Poly Pipe with Srew ends and strap that to your Rhino bars. That is if your Surf Road is in two pieces

Maxhead
19th April 2011, 04:34 PM
Hey All,

Anyone got any advice about where to store our finishing rods? We're going camping for a week in Streaky Bay with some friends (from Adelaide). Driving out there across 2 days and back in 1 day.
We have 4 fishing roads (1 surf, 2 normal and 1 kids) - and not sure what to do.

We have 2 Rhino roof bars on the patrol, so thought about strapping the rods to the bars . . .any suggestions?

I use a 100 or 150mm PVC pipe with screw on ends and store the rods in. Tie the pipe to the bars.
That way the rods are protected from the trees, ets

Maxhead
19th April 2011, 04:35 PM
Haha, Bob beat me to it.

AB
19th April 2011, 04:56 PM
Yep x 3, cant beat the PVC pipe!!!

growler2058
19th April 2011, 05:20 PM
I use a 100 or 150mm PVC pipe with screw on ends and store the rods in. Tie the pipe to the bars.
That way the rods are protected from the trees, ets

x4 and i use big hose clamps to fix to the roof rack you can get at bunnings or plumbing shop

Silver
19th April 2011, 06:13 PM
agree with the tube. I would put the rods in rod bags to stop the runners damaging the glass etc. I then lay out the rods tip to butt, with the butts protruding, and tie them together, in my case with neoprene rod wraps, but anything would do. Foam at each end of the rod tube, or old rag, and that's it.

If flying with same arrangement, check the length limits and put a handle or similar on the tube to stop it rolling on the baggage system, or tape two together.

big_fletch
19th April 2011, 07:12 PM
X5 on the pvc pipe, has always worked a treat for me

my third 256
19th April 2011, 11:38 PM
x6 the tubes are great
might sound stupid but dont forget to take the reels off i put them in old socks

indigothecat
20th April 2011, 01:53 PM
agree with the tube. I would put the rods in rod bags to stop the runners damaging the glass etc. I then lay out the rods tip to butt, with the butts protruding, and tie them together, in my case with neoprene rod wraps, but anything would do. Foam at each end of the rod tube, or old rag, and that's it.

If flying with same arrangement, check the length limits and put a handle or similar on the tube to stop it rolling on the baggage system, or tape two together.

I have a 100mm PVC as everyone mentioned here and agree with silver about padding the end of the tube. I have two beach rods broken down and wrapped in a winter bed sheet (the fluffy ones); one rod down roll next bit roll etc etc.

I may be stating the obvious but Rhino have an aluminum bracket that holds these 100mm or 150mm, just got one to bolt on to non Rhino rack for $30 (Conduit Clamp Set (BC2) ).

Good Luck.

trollman
20th April 2011, 04:39 PM
if you dont have a protective casing for the fishing rod. i.e. cause the length etc.

You can always face the heavy end (butt) of the fishing rod to the front of the car, (minus the reel), as being the heavier end it be less likely to break when driving along tracks with heavy overgrowth. Also I find tying the rod to the centre of the roof rack can minimize the chance of it being caught in overhead branches.

tracemul7
1st May 2011, 11:05 PM
Hey All,
Thanks for the advice on this one :)
Set my hubby on with the task of sorting this - he went to Bunnings, got the PVC pipe and brackets and screw caps, and was all made up when i got home!
We took the reels off (very easy as the rods were brand new) and strapped the 4 rods together and slid them into the tube (it was a jigsaw puzzle, but we got it right eventually).
Once we arrived in Streaky Bay, we setup the rods and strapped them with velcro straps to the roof bars, where they stayed during our driving around.

But, TBH, on our way back we just left them strapped to the roof bars. They were pretty secure, and werent at risk of trees/branches etc, so was all good :)

And we caught lots of fish and squid between us and our friends! One day we got 11 blue swimmer crabs, 5 squid and 6 fish! Was a nice feast for 8 of us :D

AB
2nd May 2011, 11:22 AM
Hey All,
Thanks for the advice on this one :)
Set my hubby on with the task of sorting this - he went to Bunnings, got the PVC pipe and brackets and screw caps, and was all made up when i got home!
We took the reels off (very easy as the rods were brand new) and strapped the 4 rods together and slid them into the tube (it was a jigsaw puzzle, but we got it right eventually).
Once we arrived in Streaky Bay, we setup the rods and strapped them with velcro straps to the roof bars, where they stayed during our driving around.

But, TBH, on our way back we just left them strapped to the roof bars. They were pretty secure, and werent at risk of trees/branches etc, so was all good :)

And we caught lots of fish and squid between us and our friends! One day we got 11 blue swimmer crabs, 5 squid and 6 fish! Was a nice feast for 8 of us :D

Good stuff Trace, any photos of the fishys...lol