PDA

View Full Version : Joolca Hot Water System

NissanGQ4.2
16th July 2016, 11:01 PM
Has anyone bought / used the Joolca hot water system for camping?

Winnie, did you buy one of these units?, I vaguely remember an FB post last year from you to Joolca asking if they had a stand or something.

caveman21
17th July 2016, 12:45 AM
Havent seen one in the flesh but have been looking at one of these units my self seem to be well made from all reports, would go with my own pump system i allredy have and save a few bucks that way .Getting sick of boiling water for the girls, to use up in a blink of a eye. hahaha
heres a link to one on ebay for $200 atm
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/JOOLCA-HOTTAP-LPG-GAS-PORTABLE-HOT-WATER-HEATER-CAMP-SHOWER-/291820298338?hash=item43f1d86062:g:AicAAOSwc1FXb9j 1

Winnie
17th July 2016, 05:49 AM
Hey Todd, I got one as a gift. It kicks ass! Totally worth the money mate.
It is awesome to be able to roll out of bed on a minus degree day and just flick the switch to have a nice hot shower!

sooty_10
17th July 2016, 07:08 AM
It is awesome to be able to roll out of bed on a minus degree day and just flick the switch to have a nice hot shower!
Do you have it setup in the truck with water supply or is it more a portable setup and just grab it out when needed?

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

NissanGQ4.2
17th July 2016, 09:11 AM

I think you should re-gift it 2 me *L*

Think I need 2 invest in something like this if I want 2 get out camping more, not so much for me but the missus and kids

threedogs
17th July 2016, 11:15 AM
Havent seen one in the flesh but have been looking at one of these units my self seem to be well made from all reports, would go with my own pump system i allredy have and save a few bucks that way .Getting sick of boiling water for the girls, to use up in a blink of a eye. hahaha
heres a link to one on ebay for $200 atm
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/JOOLCA-HOTTAP-LPG-GAS-PORTABLE-HOT-WATER-HEATER-CAMP-SHOWER-/291820298338?hash=item43f1d86062:g:AicAAOSwc1FXb9j 1

How much hot water do you require and what for roughly.

the evil twin
17th July 2016, 11:18 AM
Haven't seen the 'Joolca' one but many of the brands will be the same two or three Units rebadged.

They work great, just need a bit of plumbing and IMHO an external pump... gravity feed is a PIA

MudRunnerTD
17th July 2016, 01:56 PM
Haven't seen the 'Joolca' one but many of the brands will be the same two or three Units rebadged.

They work great, just need a bit of plumbing and IMHO an external pump... gravity feed is a PIA

Interesting that you say that ET, I have been looking at a few different brands on EBay, I wasn't sure if the Joolca unit had a different internal to allow it to be rated for off-road solid mount to my camper?

There is a fair price difference! How confident are you that the other brands are basically the same?

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/07/11.png

NissanGQ4.2
17th July 2016, 02:14 PM
There is a fair price difference! How confident are you that the other brands are basically the same?

MudRunnerTD, The price difference is Joolca is made in Melbourne from parts in China, the others are made in China from parts in China :)

the evil twin
17th July 2016, 02:22 PM
Interesting that you say that ET, I have been looking at a few different brands on EBay, I wasn't sure if the Joolca unit had a different internal to allow it to be rated for off-road solid mount to my camper?

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/07/11.png

... as confident as I am that there are only about 1 in 5 Winch/Solar Reg/Car Fridge manufacturers as there are Brand resellers for example.

Take a look at the layout of the Gecko/Red Track/Instahot/Instatemp/Gleamhous/etc Heaters and the only difference is cosmetic.
The Instahot is the only one I have used but I would bet quids those are all the same manuf.

Haven't used or seen a Joolca and layout is different so may well be a different manuf hence my comment of 'two or three units'

NissanGQ4.2
17th July 2016, 02:27 PM
Also keep in mind Daz that Geko one does not include pump and other fittings that the Joolca one does

caveman21
17th July 2016, 02:45 PM
How much hot water do you require and what for roughly.

The hot water is mainly for showering whilst away camping in the bush ect... Iam happy just to use the old solar bag and can get 3 showers out of the 20L solar bag, but the girls (missus +daughter) still think they are at home with endless water to waste. I have a 60L water tank(stainless) that i put in the car when i go away,and depending on location have 2 more 20L jerry cans of water to take 100L in total . Thinking just going to retrain the girls on the hot water situation or start getting them to boil the water hahah

threedogs
17th July 2016, 04:02 PM
caveman21 is it possible to buy two large stainless steel buckets to heat
over the fire, while one is being used the next one is warming up.

Its a great way to great hot water when dong the dishes as well. Just
throw all the dirty plates into a plastic tub with some concentrated soap liquid
tip in the boiling water and wash them when its cooled right down

the evil twin
17th July 2016, 04:20 PM
Also keep in mind Daz that Geko one does not include pump and other fittings that the Joolca one does

You sure the pump is included?
Looks like an option to me...

Whats in the box

HOTTAP Water Heater

Shower Hose & Shower Rose

Gas Hose & Regulator

Instruction manual

Mounting screws & Bolts

caveman21
17th July 2016, 04:27 PM
Yer thats a good way of doing it 3D with the buckets, only prob we go camping a lot in the summer months and here in W.A. the have a lot of fire banns,which sucks theres nuthin better than havin a campfire .So restricted to using gas burners most of the time (I just use the butane single burners) . If i was to get something like the JOOLCA HOTTAP would have to add a gas bottle to the mix as well

caveman21
17th July 2016, 04:30 PM

Whats in the box

HOTTAP Water Heater

Gas Hose & Regulator

Instruction manual

Mounting screws & Bolts
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/JOOLCA-HOTTAP-OUTING-LPG-GAS-PORTABLE-HOT-WATER-HEATER-CAMP-SHOWER-CARAVAN-/281872960702?hash=item41a0f00cbe:g:MFAAAOSwdzVXim8 q
$399 all inclucive

NissanGQ4.2
17th July 2016, 04:36 PM

Whats in the box

HOTTAP Water Heater

Gas Hose & Regulator

Instruction manual

Mounting screws & Bolts

I'm sure its included mate: http://www.joolca.com.au/hottapouting

threedogs
17th July 2016, 04:39 PM
Yer thats a good way of doing it 3D with the buckets, only prob we go camping a lot in the summer months and here in W.A. the have a lot of fire banns,which sucks theres nuthin better than havin a campfire .So restricted to using gas burners most of the time (I just use the butane single burners) . If i was to get something like the JOOLCA HOTTAP would have to add a gas bottle to the mix as well

I take it then these are{joolca} are a better option than an On board Say Glind shower system.
A friend brought an impressive heat exchanger and made his own

the evil twin
17th July 2016, 04:40 PM
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/JOOLCA-HOTTAP-OUTING-LPG-GAS-PORTABLE-HOT-WATER-HEATER-CAMP-SHOWER-CARAVAN-/281872960702?hash=item41a0f00cbe:g:MFAAAOSwdzVXim8 q
$399 all inclucive

Fair enough... the prev links are to the $299 option sans Pump

Basically they are all variations on a theme... Coleman HWOD, Companion Aqua Cube, Joolca etc are all portable Instantaneous Hot Water Heaters.
Some use cartridges with LPG option, some use LPG only, some have integrated pumps, some will handle mains pressure, etc.
They all work equally well.
My Coleman lasted for 5 years till the pump crapped out, the Instahot on a Camper I borrowed over east worked equally well.
The Truma I have on my van is pretty good also but they rely on storage so aren't a true instantaneous.

the evil twin
17th July 2016, 04:41 PM
I take it then these are{joolca} are a better option than an On board Say Glind shower system.
A friend brought an impressive heat exchanger and made his own
Joolca et al are stand alone, instantaneous, well at least while the LPG lasts... Glind mean you have to have the vehicle warmed up.

threedogs
17th July 2016, 04:48 PM
Joolca et al are stand alone, instantaneous, well at least while the LPG lasts... Glind mean you have to have the vehicle warmed up.

Just thinking hot water is hot water, so which is the most cost effective??

the evil twin
17th July 2016, 04:52 PM

The $2 shower at the ablution block

MudRunnerTD
17th July 2016, 05:23 PM

I had a Glind kit fitted to the GQ for a few years. The problem is the engine needs to be hot. You need to plan your shower for as soo as your stop driving or you have to warm the car up. You then have to cycle the water through until it's hot enough then use it. I wasn't a fan.

I have a Coleman and to be honest rarely use it. It's ok but a bit of a hassle.

The Joolca unit or similar permanently mounted yo the camper would get used continuously I think. On my list

NissanGQ4.2
17th July 2016, 05:54 PM
The Joolca unit or similar permanently mounted yo the camper would get used continuously I think. On my list

http://www.joolca.com.au/drawbar-mount

BigRAWesty
17th July 2016, 06:25 PM
I had a Glind kit fitted to the GQ for a few years. The problem is the engine needs to be hot. You need to plan your shower for as soo as your stop driving or you have to warm the car up. You then have to cycle the water through until it's hot enough then use it. I wasn't a fan.

I have a Coleman and to be honest rarely use it. It's ok but a bit of a hassle.

And for $51!!!!!!!
Why wouldn't you!!

AB
17th July 2016, 06:31 PM
Are you blokes saying the $51 one is as good as brand names on the market?

I'm a bit sick of my Coleman to be honest and if I can take one of these to Fraser I would have a happy wife!!!

BigRAWesty
17th July 2016, 07:03 PM

I'm a bit sick of my Coleman to be honest and if I can take one of these to Fraser I would have a happy wife!!!
Wife has just given the go ahead on one for the van..
Hot water on tap.. hell yes..

NissanGQ4.2
17th July 2016, 07:12 PM

I'm surprised you wouldn't pay the 341 dollars more and support someone in your own City *L*

Winnie
17th July 2016, 08:18 PM

Take mine if you want AB

AB
17th July 2016, 08:38 PM
Take mine if you want AB Thanks mate, appreciate the offer'

We'll see how the planets align in the next 2 months.

BigRAWesty
18th July 2016, 12:25 AM
Right. So let's make a list of who's bidding so we don't compete against each other lol..
I can wait.. have 12 months before we need it..

Bart@Joolca
18th July 2016, 10:22 AM
Hey Guys! Bart here, from Joolca. Came across this thread and thought I'd join up and do my best to offer answers to questions you may have. I'm not here to push for sales, I'm just here to help out where I can :)

Yendor
18th July 2016, 05:53 PM
Hey Guys! Bart here, from Joolca. Came across this thread and thought I'd join up and do my best to offer answers to questions you may have. I'm not here to push for sales, I'm just here to help out where I can :)

Hi Bart,

Glad you have joined the conversation.

There has been photo's on facebook recently showing what can happen with these type of units.

What are your comments?, What safe guards (if any) do your units have?

NissanGQ4.2
18th July 2016, 07:19 PM

Welcome 2 the forum Bart, if you want 2 push sales become a forum vendor which is very cheap advertising: http://nissanpatrol.com.au/vendors.html

BigRAWesty
21st July 2016, 02:52 AM

The $51 jobbie ended at nearly $200......

Cuppa
21st July 2016, 08:39 AM

I had one of those too at one stage, but like you say, needing to run the motor up to operating temp, & then having to keep it running whilst using the hot water, combined with somewhat imprecise water temperature control (using the vehicle's heater controls) made me not a fan either.

However the idea of heating water effortlessly & for free was appealing, so what I now have (& the second vehicle I've had one in) is a variation on the same theme. A Calorifier. Essentially works like a Glind, but instead has a copper coil inside a larger & insulated tank, which means you have hot water whenever you arrive at camp, & insulation on the tank keeps it hot for 2 or 3 days. Tank size can vary to suit use/space available. Mine is a commercially made unit which admittedly are somewhat more expensive than these gas instantaneous units, (price comparable to other caravan type hot water systems) but for those handy at fabricating/adapting stuff a DIY version shouldn't be too much of a challenge. A tank with a copper coil running through it connected into the engine cooling system, plus an inlet & outlet for water into the tank. A pressure relief valve is required for safety, & a tempering valve - which automatically mixes cold with hot at the outlet to give a precise & constant pre set temperature. The water in the tank heats to engine coolant temp, typically up to around 90 deg.C which when tempered with the added cold to give safe temperatures 'extends' the tank's capacity significantly. A 30 minute drive is sufficient to have a tankful of hot water (for my 25L - larger tanks may take a bit longer). Of course a pump & a water tank are also required, whereas the instant gas heaters can be run from a bucket or even directly from a creek or other water supply.

Just in case anyone is thinking of mounting an instant Gas water heater inside a camper - this is seriously not a good idea. It's also probably illegal. I say probably only because canvas structures may be a legal grey area (which doesn't make it safe). They need to be mounted outside to be adequately vented in order to prevent risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. (Like the Joolca drawbar mount - needs to be set up each camp). Ones which can be mounted inside have to have proper venting to the outside & are far more expensive & essentially a different product altogether to those being discussed here. IMHO the instant gas water heaters as being discussed here are most suitable for those who set up a base camp rather than those who move on daily.

Winnie
21st July 2016, 09:10 AM
I want to make some sort of ground spike bracket for mine, a star picket would do the job.
I'm not a fan of the drawbar mount, it means you have to have the shower setup within a couple of metres of the trailer, and if you're a fan of long hot showers like me then you end up with a muddy mess around and under the camper.

But on a freezing cold morning camping there is not much better than jumping in the shower for half an hour, pumping water out of the creek so you don't have to fill buckets. Once it is set up it is effortless to use.

the evil twin
21st July 2016, 09:16 AM
If you want to use creek water make sure you have a very good filter on the water inlet side.

Any sort of fine sediment/mud/etc will clog up the heat exchanger

Winnie
21st July 2016, 09:34 AM
Mine has a stainless steel screen filter to stop sand, rocks etc, and an inline water filter.

the evil twin
21st July 2016, 09:36 AM
Mine has a stainless steel screen filter to stop sand, rocks etc, and an inline water filter.

Sweet...... i ran one of those inline filters with the hose qwik connects and it worked great and was easy peasy to swap out when it became clogged.

Winnie
21st July 2016, 09:54 AM
Yep, that's what these units come with.

EDIT: Actually, it came with the pump they sell, not with the unit itself.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/07/229.jpg

lucus30
21st July 2016, 01:07 PM
When I have a camper I'll get one of these for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bart@Joolca
21st July 2016, 03:30 PM
@ Yendor

Sorry for the delayed response. I thought I’d receive email updates for new posts, but I must have missed the option?

Firstly, really good question.

I have seen the post with that image on the FB page. Personally, I think it boils down to user fault. This wouldn’t have happened if the user used soapy water to check for leaks. For me, this is common practice with my gas appliances such as my HOTTAP and my BBQ.

Portable water heaters need to pass rigorous testing in order to get compliance to be legally sold within Australia (or whichever country they are being sold in – for example, NZ needs a separate approval). So, first step would be is to ensure the unit you are looking at has relevant approval. I’m pretty sure the unit in the image has relevant approval.

In terms of the fire spurting under the unit, my experience tells me that one of two things has happened;

1. Cracked gas assembly
2. Loose connection/ fitting

A cracked gas assembly can come about from being dropped/ knocked hard on the gas valve or from over-tightening. From factory (our units and most likely others) are tested before they are shipped here to our warehouse. So, it is highly unlikely to have a cracked assembly from brand new.

I’m pretty certain that the fault in the image was due to a loose/ faulty gas connection (not to do with the unit).

In terms of safeguards, like I mentioned before, make sure the unit you want to get has relevant approvals. Aside from this, I highly recommend using soapy water to check for gas leaks. This is a cheap and easy way to start covering yourself from potential danger. Also, use a spanner to tighten the connection – no hand tightening.

In saying this, these types of units (eg.: HOTTAP) are actually pretty safe. No pilot light, just a piezo to spark up – similar to your BBQ. Over temperature sensors, flame sensors (cuts out if senses no flame: stops release of gas into atmosphere). They’re not made to spit out flames, they’re made to heat up water.

@ NissanGQ4.2

Thanks for that! I may look into it :)

Plasnart
21st July 2016, 04:53 PM
I want to make some sort of ground spike bracket for mine, a star picket would do the job.
I'm not a fan of the drawbar mount, it means you have to have the shower setup within a couple of metres of the trailer, and if you're a fan of long hot showers like me then you end up with a muddy mess around and under the camper.

But on a freezing cold morning camping there is not much better than jumping in the shower for half an hour, pumping water out of the creek so you don't have to fill buckets. Once it is set up it is effortless to use.

Half an hour?? How's the water bill mate? :)

Winnie
21st July 2016, 05:00 PM
Half an hour?? How's the water bill mate? :)
So worth it!

NissanGQ4.2
21st July 2016, 05:04 PM
Bumped for Bart as his last post went into moderation.....
bart@Jalcoola when tagging someone don't put a space between the @ symbol and there user name as they won't get a notification saying they have been tagged in a post :)

Yendor
21st July 2016, 05:43 PM
@ Yendor

Sorry for the delayed response. I thought I’d receive email updates for new posts, but I must have missed the option?

Firstly, really good question.

I have seen the post with that image on the FB page. Personally, I think it boils down to user fault. This wouldn’t have happened if the user used soapy water to check for leaks. For me, this is common practice with my gas appliances such as my HOTTAP and my BBQ.

Portable water heaters need to pass rigorous testing in order to get compliance to be legally sold within Australia (or whichever country they are being sold in – for example, NZ needs a separate approval). So, first step would be is to ensure the unit you are looking at has relevant approval. I’m pretty sure the unit in the image has relevant approval.

In terms of the fire spurting under the unit, my experience tells me that one of two things has happened;

1. Cracked gas assembly
2. Loose connection/ fitting

A cracked gas assembly can come about from being dropped/ knocked hard on the gas valve or from over-tightening. From factory (our units and most likely others) are tested before they are shipped here to our warehouse. So, it is highly unlikely to have a cracked assembly from brand new.

I’m pretty certain that the fault in the image was due to a loose/ faulty gas connection (not to do with the unit).

In terms of safeguards, like I mentioned before, make sure the unit you want to get has relevant approvals. Aside from this, I highly recommend using soapy water to check for gas leaks. This is a cheap and easy way to start covering yourself from potential danger. Also, use a spanner to tighten the connection – no hand tightening.

In saying this, these types of units (eg.: HOTTAP) are actually pretty safe. No pilot light, just a piezo to spark up – similar to your BBQ. Over temperature sensors, flame sensors (cuts out if senses no flame: stops release of gas into atmosphere). They’re not made to spit out flames, they’re made to heat up water.

@ NissanGQ4.2

Thanks for that! I may look into it :)
Hi Bart

This makes sense. I did notice that the gas bottle didn't appear to be fix to the trolley, so damage could of easily occurred while they were moving it around.

Thank you for taking the time to reply and explaining the safety features.

Cheers Rodney

threedogs
24th July 2016, 04:16 PM
Yep, that's what these units come with.

EDIT: Actually, it came with the pump they sell, not with the unit itself.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/07/229.jpg

Is this just a non return valve, I like your idea of drawing water from the river.
Might need a cage etc to stop sticks and stuff, I take it this would work using
those smaller gas canisters. I have my light poles that would be perfect to
hang the hand piece off

NissanGQ4.2
24th July 2016, 04:39 PM
I like your idea of drawing water from the river.
Might need a cage etc to stop sticks and stuff.

http://www.joolca.com.au/screen-filter

I take it this would work using those smaller gas canisters.

I don't believe this ones do, only off an lpg cyclinder

Winnie
24th July 2016, 05:28 PM
Is this just a non return valve, I like your idea of drawing water from the river.
Might need a cage etc to stop sticks and stuff, I take it this would work using
those smaller gas canisters. I have my light poles that would be perfect to
hang the hand piece off
No its a filter.

http://www.joolca.com.au/screen-filter

I don't believe this ones do, only off an lpg cyclinder
Yep this is the screen filter I have as well.

threedogs
24th July 2016, 05:34 PM
They are not a small unit IMO only a little smaller than a house instantaneous HWS
More stuff to take away, but the luxury of having hot water at the click of your fingers
sounds inviting

BigRAWesty
25th July 2016, 07:58 AM
They are not a small unit IMO only a little smaller than a house instantaneous HWS
More stuff to take away, but the luxury of having hot water at the click of your fingers
sounds inviting
Yea the whole idea of portable is crazy..
I guess it's portable due to electronic ignition..

Winnie
25th July 2016, 08:20 AM
It's about the same size as a slab of beer.

BigRAWesty
25th July 2016, 05:55 PM
It's about the same size as a slab of beer.
Stubbies or cans?? 😉

Winnie
25th July 2016, 06:17 PM
Cans......

Bart@Joolca
25th August 2016, 02:21 PM
Haha, guys, terrible of me. My apologies for coming in an out of your lives like a one night stand.

NissanGQ4.2

Thank you for the bump and thanks for the tip, hopefully I did it right this time?

Yendor

My pleasure :)

threedogs

That is actually a small in-line filter and not a non-return valve. This filter would be good for relatively clean water from a bucket or jerry can. You could couple this with a Screen Filter (http://www.joolca.com.au/screen-filter) as linked already. The SF would sit inside the river/ creek and it would keep out all the larger stuff.

Also, you'd be using standard LPG BBQ type gas bottles with these units. From what I understand, if you wanted to use the small gas canisters the unit would probably not work as the small gas canisters don't have enough pressure.

NissanGQ4.2
31st August 2016, 05:01 PM
Bump as last post went into moderation

Rip'n'Shred
13th March 2018, 05:59 AM
Did anyone end up with one of these and if so what are your opinions of it?

ozjeff
30th March 2018, 07:45 PM
I love my joolca Hottap. Had a Aquacube before hand and purposely sold it with the camper trailer so I could get a Joolca for the new one :)