PDA

View Full Version : Madigan 2016

Rossco
14th July 2016, 03:21 PM
start packing he says if I could get Jane out of the car
I could finish packing
glad its fixed mate what channel do you want to use

Janeo's keen, bless her she must be getting hungry by now! Yep not long now, thought it was bout time we started a thread.
Guess we'll stick to trusty ch17 if your happy, see on the top of the hill soon. . .

Sir Roofy
14th July 2016, 03:31 PM
Janeo's keen, bless her she must be getting hungry by now! Yep not long now, thought it was bout time we started a thread.
Guess we'll stick to trusty ch17 if your happy, see on the top of the hill soon. . .

Alls good 3more sleeps and we can free Jane,o

the book don't forget it or I'm history lol

mudski
14th July 2016, 03:40 PM
Lucky mofos...

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk

macca
14th July 2016, 04:15 PM
Lucky mofos...

Thinking the same....

TPC
14th July 2016, 04:56 PM
Wish I was going with you, would love to do it again.
Took us over 2 weeks in 2010 because of all the detours because of the flooding, spent a lot of time going where there were no tracks.
Are you going to all the Madigan camps? You could have some trouble getting to some of them if Eyre creek is flooded.

This photo is looking across Eyre Creek in 2010, it was about 1km wide at this point and about half way across is Madigan camp 20.

This was our trip log.

AB
14th July 2016, 06:06 PM
Thinking the same.... Arn't you going too Macca???

Have a ball gents, very jelly!

Looks pretty wet up there so be careful blokes!

MudRunnerTD
14th July 2016, 06:11 PM
Lucky bastards!!! Good luck and travel well.

I assume you guys have read the Cecil Madigan book? If not Janeo should read it out loud in the car on the journey up. Well worth the read

Rossco
14th July 2016, 06:19 PM
Alls good 3more sleeps and we can free Jane,o

the book don't forget it or I'm history lol

Don't worry Roofy, no chance, it's in the pile ready to be packed.

Wish I was going with you, would love to do it again.
Took us over 2 weeks in 2010 because of all the detours because of the flooding, spent a lot of time going where there were no tracks.
Are you going to all the Madigan camps? You could have some trouble getting to some of them if Eyre creek is flooded.

This photo is looking across Eyre Creek in 2010, it was about 1km wide at this point and about half way across is Madigan camp 20.

This was our trip log.

Wow, looks awesome, expecting that we could encounter similar conditions. We're allowing for couple a couple of weeks, doing most camps but not 2, 3 & 4 as well as 23 & 24 I think?, Maccas got that end of things covered. How much fuel did you end up using Tony if you remember?

macca
14th July 2016, 06:23 PM
[QUOTE=AB;687319]Arn't you going too Macca???QUOTE]

Hell yeah, just agreeing they are lucky mofo's haha

We have 2 more sleeps, perishable shopping in the morning put everything in the pod, bar the toothbrushes and us then wait for 6.00am Saturday morning.

About 18? months ago Roofy said would we go with him and Jane'O across the Madigan? Asked Mrs Woman and got an immediate YES! and now we are about to go Yehaa.

MudRunnerTD
14th July 2016, 06:23 PM
I used 205lts and was the heaviest use in our group.

Rossco
14th July 2016, 06:24 PM
Lucky bastards!!! Good luck and travel well.

I assume you guys have read the Cecil Madigan book? If not Janeo should read it out loud in the car on the journey up. Well worth the read
Yeah that's the book I've got at the moment on loan from Janeo. Made a start but haven't finished it yet, I'll get stuck into it on the way up. . . or not a bad idea, Janeo could read it over the radio on the way up ☺ . . .

macca
14th July 2016, 06:27 PM
I used 205lts and was the heaviest use in our group.

Carry 295 so should be good.

Muddy do you remember how many K's and did you go to Geosurveys Hill?

Winnie
14th July 2016, 06:29 PM
Have an awesome trip guys and please keep us updated on your travels.
Just over 2 years ago we did the Simpson together!

MudRunnerTD
14th July 2016, 06:31 PM
I thought it was camp 4 & 5 you could not get to on Indigenous land? I'm sure we did camp 2? That at the twin rocks I thought? Why arnt you doing 23 & 24? They are on the Cattle Station from memory? Would they not let you on?

MudRunnerTD
14th July 2016, 06:32 PM
Carry 295 so should be good.

Muddy do you remember how many K's and did you go to Geosurveys Hill?

No we didn't do Geosurvey, spewing! Would have been a great detour for sure!

MudRunnerTD
14th July 2016, 06:34 PM
We got lost at Camp 20 though and spent nearly an entire day trying to find a way through.

Sir Roofy
14th July 2016, 06:43 PM
I thought it was camp 4 & 5 you could not get to on Indigenous land? I'm sure we did camp 2? That at the twin rocks I thought? Why arnt you doing 23 & 24? They are on the Cattle Station from memory? Would they not let you on?

Poor Rossco he's feeling very sick at the moment a bit excited and having a
touch of memory loss
but once we meet up wolla of we go

TPC
14th July 2016, 06:56 PM
I was in a mates Hilux that used 145 liters and he was the most economical.

We had a 4.8 petrol Patrol in our group and he used 340 liters and ran out just after Big Red, he had rock crawler gears in it that made it bloody thirsty in low range.

100 Series diesel Cruiser used 190 liters.

Rossco
14th July 2016, 07:00 PM
Poor Rossco he's feeling very sick at the moment a bit excited and having a
touch of memory loss
but once we meet up wolla of we go
Yeah i did mention I'm not to good with numbers haha. Had a quick look @ our emails but probably I'm not the best one to ask. . .

TPC
14th July 2016, 07:01 PM

I think it is 3,4 & 5 you cant do. We got permission to do 21-23 from land owner but he told us not to go through if it was to boggy, as it was we could not get there anyway.

MudRunnerTD
14th July 2016, 07:15 PM
I think it is 3,4 & 5 you cant do. We got permission to do 21-23 from land owner but he told us not to go through if it was to boggy, as it was we could not get there anyway.

Hi Tony, hope your well mate, hope your young fella is smashing it!! I note on your Map you didn't plot Camp 1? Only 1a? Could you not find Camp 1? It was very isolated and when we did it there was no sign of any trail or traffic at all at camp 1

jack
14th July 2016, 07:16 PM
Have a great trip guys (and gals), these will be more memories to last a lifetime.
Enjoy, take care and most importantly stay safe.

gaddy
14th July 2016, 07:33 PM
Just follow the bits of jayco camper trailer , there is a group from opposite lock Newcastle ( they have a facebook page about it ) there at the moment towing one on the madigan ,
Have a safe and awsome trip .

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

macca
14th July 2016, 08:02 PM
The access has changed this year it seems as those of us that got our permits early have different conditions to the last permit issued.

Camp 2 (the Twins) is a "request not to visit".

3 & 4 are no go areas.

5 was no go but the approved route on the map they provided shows a track from 1 / 1a to 5 now so no need to get to "the Crossing".

We have permission to cross the Qld National Park that is 18 & 19 camps.

We also have permission to enter "Adria Downs" but not 23 & 24 camps as they are close to the homestead and yards according to the correspondence.

Geosurvey's from the north is now restricted but not on my permit I got earlier.

The thing is to be respectful and not drive on clay pans etc as some have stones laid on them for ceremonial purposes. We might not realise what we are looking at and that is the problem.

Maybe someone has done just that (driven over sites) and restrictions introduced.

It is so much busier now that when Muddy was there, so the owners are adapting to the demand is my guess.

Rossco
14th July 2016, 08:07 PM
Just follow the bits of jayco camper trailer , there is a group from opposite lock Newcastle ( they have a facebook page about it ) there at the moment towing one on the madigan ,
Have a safe and awsome trip .

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Hmmm, maybe I'll take mine, seems a bit silly lol. The madigan is no doubt going to be an epic adventure, however in this day & age of the interweb dvds etc places and trips are getting more & more well known and is getting harder to find remote places. Still going to be awesome and very very glad to be doing it now, don't mean to be too much of a Debbie downer! ☺ . . .

MudRunnerTD
14th July 2016, 09:45 PM
Yeah bugger, the Twins was great and our night 2 camp. Night 1 was Old Andando.

Yes camp 23 $ 24 are well inside the managed farm station.

With the very wet conditions Clay Pans will be your worst nightmare!!! Stay clear!!!

We had a fair bit of trouble at camp 20 finding a way out as the recent floods had wash away all signs of life. If you find camp 20 stake you will note it it attached with a tek screw and engraved by hand. We did this repair as it had been submerged for an extended period and was unreadable.

I understand that there has been significant traffic on the Madigan over the last 4 years. Roofs you should expect a defined track similar to the WAA Line .

You will have a great time guys.

TPC
14th July 2016, 11:48 PM
Hi Tony, hope your well mate, hope your young fella is smashing it!! I note on your Map you didn't plot Camp 1? Only 1a? Could you not find Camp 1? It was very isolated and when we did it there was no sign of any trail or traffic at all at camp 1

Hi Darren, son is doing well thanks.
We did find Camp 1 and it is marked on there but not easy to see on that screenshot.

68142 68148

macca
15th July 2016, 05:30 PM
Just opened a frosty after finishing the packing, all that can be done tonight.

Up early in the morning put the toothbrush in, lock the house and away we go!

Stropp
15th July 2016, 06:03 PM
Now I'm getting the jitters, wish I could have made it 😟😟

Rossco
15th July 2016, 06:34 PM
Now I'm getting the jitters, wish I could have made it 😟😟
It's not too late stropp. . .

jack
15th July 2016, 06:48 PM
Expecting an epic write up Macca, plenty of pictures as well from all of you.

macca
15th July 2016, 07:16 PM
Expecting an epic write up Macca, plenty of pictures as well from all of you.

Wasn't me. It was Roofy who did it, I'm exercising my right to not incriminate myself LOL

Maxhead
15th July 2016, 07:36 PM
Have a great trip guys, I am sure it will be!
I'm yet to do this one and if all goes well I'll be there next winter if we don't go back to Fraser lol

….................... On the move

Sir Roofy
15th July 2016, 07:37 PM

X2 Stropp throw some tucker in and get a wriggle on

Sir Roofy
16th July 2016, 10:29 PM
Packed ready to go fridges full beer getting cold fuel up Madigan here we come

TPC
16th July 2016, 10:34 PM
Enjoy yourselves guys and take lots of photos.

Sir Roofy
16th July 2016, 10:37 PM
Enjoy yourselves guys and take lots of photos.

Will try our best
say hi to the young fella from Jane
and me

Stropp
16th July 2016, 11:14 PM

Unfortunately my offsider at work will be in NZ

Winnie
17th July 2016, 06:50 AM
All the best for your trip guys and I look forward to seeing all your photos!

Rossco
17th July 2016, 07:45 AM
On the road . . .

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/07/183.jpg

happygu
17th July 2016, 07:46 AM
Awesome Stuff .. Have fun

Maxhead
17th July 2016, 08:06 AM
Enjoy yourselves guys!!!

Bob
17th July 2016, 09:23 AM
On the road . . .

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/07/183.jpg

The Kettle is on and will see you in 2-3 Hours

Plasnart
17th July 2016, 09:41 AM
All the best roofy and co! Definately a trip on my bucket list! Will be following with interest.

MudRunnerTD
17th July 2016, 09:53 AM
Have a great time guys. Travel safe, look after each other. Discover, Experience, Share, Amaze. Have a bloody great time. Has someone in the group got MaxTrax? A couple of sets could be handy.

Bacho86
17th July 2016, 11:04 AM
Have a great time guys, looking forward to all the photos!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob
17th July 2016, 11:28 AM
Refuelling at Bendigo

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/07/184.jpg

and Leaving

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/07/185.jpg

Woof
17th July 2016, 02:26 PM
Have a safe and enjoyable all

Chappy
17th July 2016, 06:05 PM
Have a fantastic & safe trip guys
Can't wait to see some photos.

rusty_nail
17th July 2016, 07:44 PM
Good luck guys have fun!

Sent from my bar of soap with a piece of string

jay see
17th July 2016, 08:22 PM
Photos, photos, photos please.
Safe travels all.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Rossco
18th July 2016, 09:28 AM
Nice little overnight spot just out of Berri. Off to Farina for a couple of days. . . Getting used to this☺

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/07/199.jpg

MudRunnerTD
3rd August 2016, 09:35 AM
I wonder how they are traveling? I hope all is well. I have been thinking of them. Anyone heard anything?

MudRunnerTD
3rd August 2016, 09:38 AM
Did anyone get a planned itinerary? What day are they hoping to hit Birdsville? +/- a couple of days would be good to know.

MudRunnerTD
3rd August 2016, 07:01 PM
Bump, anyone heard anything or know what date to start expecting them into Birdsville?

AB
3rd August 2016, 07:04 PM
Bump, anyone heard anything or know what date to start expecting them into Birdsville? I was thinking about these blokes the other day. I've tried ringing every couple of days but straight to message bank.

No itinerary?

Maxhead
3rd August 2016, 07:06 PM
Yes, thinking the same.

jack
3rd August 2016, 07:44 PM
I'm sure they're fine, to busy with Mick Taylor looking for Pokemons to bother about keeping us in the loop.

Stropp
4th August 2016, 06:26 PM
they were leaving mt dare on the 27th and taking 10 to 14 days was what i was told when i was trying to make it.

MudRunnerTD
4th August 2016, 07:07 PM
they were leaving mt dare on the 27th and taking 10 to 14 days was what i was told when i was trying to make it.

Cheers Lynton, that puts them in Birdsville from tomorrow through to Monday. I reckon we will see a post maybe Sunday all going well. I reckon the wet would be a real slog out there. I look forward to an update.

Stropp
4th August 2016, 07:16 PM
yeh mate, i think they would have done it tough

AB
4th August 2016, 07:29 PM
Thanks Stropp looking forward to the Birdsville reception report!

Maxhead
4th August 2016, 07:55 PM
I text Jane yesterday but no reply as yet. Too much fun by the looks of it

Rossco
5th August 2016, 04:31 PM
Just pulled into Birsville this arvo. Sorry guys was going to put up an eta but kind of left it a bit late and ran out of sevice!

Well its was a great trip but very easy mostly 2wd second and 3rd most the way. The madigan isn't what it was 5 - 10 years ago the track was very well defined once your on it but was still awsome. Got heaps of pics on the slr I'll try to get some up if i work it out. Had been wet but is starting to dry but lots of water around most of it bypassable. Would have been a different story a few weeks ago, but the desert was beutiful, lush flowers everywhere and heaps of birdlife.

Major major bummer was Macca bent his chassis coming over the French line from Birdsville to meet up at Dalhausie. Wasn't too too bad but made the decision to head out from mt dare after looking at to get it fixed in Alice. Apparently it's fixed better than new now, might end up catching up in birdsvlle hopefully. Lots of traffic french line apparently was rough as guts, there was a BT50 sitting out the back of mt dare with the chassis snapped clean through both sides, so guess we got away with it not too bad.

Anyway life is tough time for beer ☺. . .

Rossco
5th August 2016, 04:32 PM
Only a couple on the phone

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/57.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/58.jpg

mudski
5th August 2016, 04:34 PM
Snapped chassis!? Wow!

Rossco
5th August 2016, 04:44 PM
Snapped chassis!? Wow!

Yeah not good. Dual cab with Jerry can and tyre holder on the back and air bags as well. Saw a colarado at dalhausie that was starting to fold in half too. Apparently it's pretty common with dual cabs with a lot of weight and rough roads the chick at mt dare reckons. . .

Stropp
5th August 2016, 04:51 PM
good stuff Rosco, look forward to the pics, thats a shame about maccas vehicle :(

MudRunnerTD
5th August 2016, 04:56 PM
wow 2WD 2nd and 3rd!!! Wow! i spent 3 days in Low 1st! Crazy!

Glad you all OK and had a great crossing. did you see many people out there? did you get to all the Camps? How many cars in your Convoy? All the Best guys, enjoy the Beer. Camel Pie for Breakfast i reckon.

Rossco
5th August 2016, 05:53 PM
wow 2WD 2nd and 3rd!!! Wow! i spent 3 days in Low 1st! Crazy!

Glad you all OK and had a great crossing. did you see many people out there? did you get to all the Camps? How many cars in your Convoy? All the Best guys, enjoy the Beer. Camel Pie for Breakfast i reckon.
Yeah was good, would have been totally different when you did it, would have been awesome i reckon, but better late than never it was still great. Saw a few people on the track probably every two or the days. Five cars in convoy, although because we were ahead of schedule just us (me & Roofy & Janeo) decided to stay for a rest day and take it a bit slower so it was just us from camp 17. Did all camps apart from 1 (didn't do the side track from 1A) and 3 & 4 (aboriginal land), went near 2 but didn't look it because we weren't supposed to go there but we're were trying to find our bearings, so went around the base of the twins. Didn't do 23 and 24 because they're near the homestead at Adria Downs. Apart from that you pretty much follow the track and it goes straight past them!

Also did geosurveys hill (just us again) which was the highlight i reckon. Was a track but very feint and rough, lots of rocking through the spinifex. Was preatty much waking pace for about 45k one way took a day and a half to get there and back but was awsome, loved it. Saw some camels on the track slowly walking away from us and couldn't catch them! ! There was also one dune which was the only challenge on the trip which was fun. Took a few goes and unfortunately havd a pic of the GQ snatching the beastie over the top, although if Roofy aired down a bit more would have done it i reckon.

Yeah looking forward to something different than sultana bran for brekkie that's for sure.

Haven't worked out exacty how much yet but put 80 litres in from the jerries and have just under a quarter of a tank and didn't even touch the sub tank.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

MudRunnerTD
5th August 2016, 07:23 PM
Awesome mate. How you describe the Geosurvey track was how the whole track was past the Hay River. I spent 3 days or more in low 1. Was a slog mate.

Glad you had a good run mate, sounds like you were in no hurry and just cruised along.

Ghee Wood must be getting bloody scarce out there now if it's had that much traffic!!

How is the night sky mate!! MAGNIFICENT!!

TPC
5th August 2016, 08:12 PM
Sounded like you had a good time. Cannot believe there were defined tracks, like Darren, when we did it in 2010 there were no tracks most of the time.
Did you sign the book at Geo-Survey Hill? How long ago was the last entry before you?
We did Geo-Survey Hill and Geo-Center in 2012 and the entry before ours at Geo-Survey was over a year before.

Rossco
5th August 2016, 09:10 PM
Awesome mate. How you describe the Geosurvey track was how the whole track was past the Hay River. I spent 3 days or more in low 1. Was a slog mate.

Glad you had a good run mate, sounds like you were in no hurry and just cruised along.

Ghee Wood must be getting bloody scarce out there now if it's had that much traffic!!

How is the night sky mate!! MAGNIFICENT!!
Yeah i was imagining what it would have been like, would have been a slog but bloody epic i reckon. Past the hay was a little rougher definatly spinifex country was still easy cruising.

Yep sleeping under the stars every night in the swag was AMAZING. Pretty lucky had near a full moon at the start of the trip then was down to a crescent and not up in the night in the desert so had some pretty clear skies.

Sounded like you had a good time. Cannot believe there were defined tracks, like Darren, when we did it in 2010 there were no tracks most of the time.
Did you sign the book at Geo-Survey Hill? How long ago was the last entry before you?
We did Geo-Survey Hill and Geo-Center in 2012 and the entry before ours at Geo-Survey was over a year before.

Yeah signed the book. Think the last entry was a few months ago, don't think to many people go down there fortunatly. Some of the guys that got their permits later said it that it wasn't permitted. To be honest I'm not sure how many people would bother with permits and permission. Yeah still reasonable amounts of wood but there's definatly more pressure out there.

Chappy
6th August 2016, 02:19 PM
Glad to hear that you all made it safe and sound. Can't wait to see the photos.

Rossco
7th August 2016, 02:15 PM
Managed to get some photos off the slr, hopefully it works 😕

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/66.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/67.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/68.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/69.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/70.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/71.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/72.jpg

Stayed at Farina for a couple of nights and spent a good day poking about, is a very cool place. Was lucky had an amazing sunset.

Rossco
7th August 2016, 02:28 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/73.jpg

Stayed a night at Albebuckila waterhole on the other side of the road from the bridge. Was a great spot waterhole was full, birds everwhere and no people, the bridge was quite busy tho.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/74.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/75.jpg

Whistling Kytes everywhere along the river.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/76.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/77.jpg

Sturt Desert Pea on the way to Dalhausie.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/78.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/79.jpg

A bit of water around Hamilton station on the way in.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/80.jpg

Dalhausie ruins.

Rossco
7th August 2016, 02:33 PM
Woops put two pelicans in here's the Wistling Kyte

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/81.jpg

Rossco
7th August 2016, 02:40 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/82.jpg

Crested Pigeon at Dalhausie. Spent about four days here waiting for the rest of the crew. Was very relaxing and certainly made use the springs for sure! Roofy even went in for dip, had to make some shorts by cutting down some jeans and then were blinded by very white legs hahaha . . .

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/83.jpg

Rossco
7th August 2016, 02:50 PM
Went for a drive Bloods ck ruins to charge the batteries. . .

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/84.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/85.jpg

Bloods Ck was full.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/86.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/87.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/88.jpg

Were pretty lucky to see the desert like this flowers everwhere and so lush.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/89.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/90.jpg

Saw a dingo on the gibber plain on the way back, was very cool.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/91.jpg

White Necked Heron chicks at Opossum waterhole. Birds were breeding everwhere like mad!

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/92.jpg

Big Orb spider.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/93.jpg

Red Mulga at 3 O'clock Ck

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/94.jpg

Rossco
7th August 2016, 03:04 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/95.jpg

Doesn't really need an explanation. . .

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/96.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/97.jpg

Poor old BT50 out the back. . .

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/98.jpg

On the way to Andado. Was a bit of water around in the western side but was starting to dry up. A few weeks earlier would have been tough.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/99.jpg

Old Andado, we arrived just in time for tea & scones yum!! Very cool place. .

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/100.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/101.jpg

This one's a classic i reckon. . .

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/102.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/103.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/104.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/105.jpg

Mac Clarke reserve - Wadi Trees (Acacia puce). Very cool spot only the spots there found and up to 1000 years old

MudRunnerTD
7th August 2016, 03:07 PM
Wicked!!! Great pics mate

Rossco
7th August 2016, 03:16 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/106.jpg

Start of the Madigan. This up to camp 2 shouldn't of really gone up there but followed the sign. Worked well anyway. . .

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/107.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/108.jpg

More flowers ! !

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/109.jpg

This was pretty typical of what the track was like most the way.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/110.jpg

Heaps of these on the dunes (Royal something Pea). . . Were very beutifull.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/111.jpg

Rossco
7th August 2016, 03:26 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/112.jpg

En route to Geosurverys

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/113.jpg

Saw some camels, Janeo got very excited. Tried to catch them but had no hope on that track!!

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/114.jpg

Beutifull little camp way down, just found a little patch in the spinifex.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/115.jpg

There it is, a little pimple on the horizon.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/116.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/117.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/118.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/119.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/120.jpg

This was the good one, of course looks flattish in the pics. Had to drop down to 15psi and give it a reasonable floggn to get over it.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/121.jpg

Stuck. .

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/122.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/123.jpg

Rossco
7th August 2016, 03:47 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/124.jpg

Bellied out but got over with a decent squirt. . .

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/125.jpg

What's this? ? . . . Some other Muppets had beaten us to it! !

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/126.jpg

Had a rest day and parted company with the rest the crew once again. Was good to relax but blowing a gale for a couple days.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/127.jpg

Zebra Finch

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/128.jpg

More flowers!

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/129.jpg

Getting into the clay pans around Eyre Ck. This is where i thought it might have been wet but wasn't too bad the creek was dry as a bone.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/130.jpg

Black Headed Cuckoo Shrike sitting on a nest.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/131.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/132.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/133.jpg

Thought this might have been an inland taipan but think it might just be a brown. Was on the QAA heading back into civilization.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/134.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/135.jpg

This signs a new one. Theres another track on the left where people have been trying to get up so would say that is why. . But of a shame.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/136.jpg

Big red, another pic of the GQ!!

Then into Birdville to relax. Nicole is flying in on Thursday then we head north through Bedourie, Winton to Longreach (us and Roofy & Janeo) and then part ways there . Kinda worked out not to bad theres been a fair bit of rain up there and has closed due to flooding, think Macca just made it through. Anyway should be interesting sounds like there's plenty of water around should be good.

TPC
7th August 2016, 03:49 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/123.jpg

Roofy, you should have prevented this photo being taken.

Great photo's, it looks just as green as it was when I went through in 2010.

MudRunnerTD
7th August 2016, 04:57 PM
Awesome pics guys!!!

MudRunnerTD
7th August 2016, 04:58 PM
Nice Trip Shirts!!!! Was that a 200?

Cuppa
7th August 2016, 05:19 PM
So good to get the photos. Thanks.

Last I heard from Macca he was in Alice where he had the crack in the chassis repaired. I saw a pic, not a huge crack but getting it repaired before it got bigger was wise. No doubt he’ll tell all when he gets back on here.

The Royal something Pea’s are what I know as Cunninghams Birdflowers. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crotalaria_cunninghamii

Rossco
7th August 2016, 05:21 PM
Roofy, you should have prevented this photo being taken.

Great photo's, it looks just as green as it was when I went through in 2010.
Yeah was a bit cheeky, did ask if i could put it up! You can see Roofys expression if you look close, it's like ah bugger, cheeky little so & so. . . ! !

Nice Trip Shirts!!!! Was that a 200?
Cheers! !, Thought we should dress up for geosurveys - special occasion ☺

Yeah 200 series, was us the 200 an 80 and the 40. Hate to admit it but had a bit of a soft spot for the 40, they are a classic, was a well set up pod as well.

AB
7th August 2016, 06:06 PM
Great report and photos Rossco!!

Love your new hat too old mate ;)

Plasnart
7th August 2016, 06:21 PM
Thanks for the pics rossco. Beautiful stuff! Im drooling again, must do another trip!

Bacho86
7th August 2016, 06:51 PM
Cracking photos Ross, thanks for sharing! Looks like a great time to be out there with all the flora around

jack
7th August 2016, 07:19 PM
Thanks Rossco, looks like a great trip.

katwoman
7th August 2016, 07:21 PM
Ah, the memories.. Makes me miss it. Was the bakery open at farina ? Give my love to Jane-O and the man in the hat.

Sprock
7th August 2016, 07:50 PM
Great photos Rossco 👍🏼 looks awesome , I'd love to do a trip like that , 1 day ....

Stropp
7th August 2016, 08:53 PM
Awesome pics mate, sounds and looks like you had a ball

threedogs
8th August 2016, 03:59 PM
Great memories right there we are in the LUCKY country thats for sure

Rossco
8th August 2016, 04:19 PM
Ah, the memories.. Makes me miss it. Was the bakery open at farina ? Give my love to Jane-O and the man in the hat.
Yep the underground bakery was open, went in there and got sum fresh bread - yum. Yep passed on my regards, Janeo & man in hat doing well , plus the beastie too - hasn't missed a beat. ☺

Winnie
8th August 2016, 11:28 PM
Awesome pics mate! Sorry I got your sms but I couldn't reply.
Looks like a really good trip guys!

gubigfish
9th August 2016, 01:02 AM
Have to put that on the list

Rossco
11th August 2016, 01:18 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/181.jpg

This one's not named after you Cuppa by any chance. . .

Been good chilling out in Birdsville the last however days (starting to lose track! !) but will be good to get on the road again tomorrow. Been eating a fair share of camel pies that's for sure- forgot how good they are!

Went up to Bedourie yesterday arvo Roofy & Jane got a genuine Bedourie camp oven and went for a swim in the local pool and spa straight from the artisian. Spa was about 40 degrees - bloody hot but so good☺

Cuppa
11th August 2016, 02:37 PM
I like to think so. :D

It looks like someone has got a bit confused about the relative distances at some point......... ah but perhaps not....... we were travelling in the opposite direction toward Birdsville.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/183.jpg

When we got to Cuppa Creek there was a shelter & a dunny, but no sign to say it was Cuppa Creek, so I felt compelled to do a bit of grafitti. :)

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/184.jpg

We spent a night at Cuppa Creek. The actual creek (dry of course) was a couple of hundred metres east (right).

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/185.jpg

gubigfish
11th August 2016, 03:05 PM
The question remains did you have a cuppa at Cuppa Creek?

Cuppa
11th August 2016, 03:42 PM
The question remains did you have a cuppa at Cuppa Creek?

Do bears sh*t in the woods? ;)

mudski
11th August 2016, 03:54 PM
Beautiful pics rossco. Makes me very envious. Too hard with kids at school though. I'll have to wait a few more years until they can fend for themselves.

macca
17th August 2016, 09:32 PM
Great read and piccy's Rossco.

We are at home now and although not crossing the Madigan we had a great trip too. The ute was repaired in 2 & 1/2 days with the pod being removed to straighten the chassis.

Got it midday Saturday and I rewired / plumbed it. We were told it would be ready the following Wednesday due to a long weekend so we had a cabin booked and thought we may as well explore the area.

Giving you lot our Sat phone was a mistake, should have made you hire one! Then we might have felt a bit better about trying to catch you, that was before we knew the pace you ended up doing. Still we would have happily done it solo.

Had a look at the West McDonalds, East McDonalds including Ruby Gap, Up the (boring) Binns Track to Lake Nash on the Sandover. Tried buying fuel just to support the communities with no success and arrived at Urandangi with not a lot. They hadn't had the pump working for 7 months!
Sign said 145klm to Dajarra, nothing for it but give it a go, arriving at the pump with estimated 5 - 7 litres!!!
The tracks were interesting and not so easy to find the right one, using GPS, seat of the pants and which track looked most used worked eventually making it all the more challenging.

The car wrecks on that stretch would easily get past 100, where the locals take a sedan is amazing and the bits lying beside the track are testament to the carnage, most popular would be mufflers, tyres, batteries, bodywork roughly in that order LOL.

Great camp 19klm north of Dajarra, so a backtrack with full tanks was added to that days drive.

As you said heavy rains had closed access to the national Parks, with Diamantina under 2.0mtres at the camp and 2.5 at the causeway, the Ranger was very helpful with alternatives.

We ended up going to Longreach to see everyone before they headed home. All the stuff around Bedourie was closed and we couldn't contact you guys to find out when you might be in Birdsville.

We visited small towns trying hard to attract tourists, Ilfracombe, Isisford and Tambo are doing great jobs and full of interest as are the NP's especially Salvador Rosa, what a gem.

We did cross the southern Simpson and thoroughly enjoyed it, this would be a lot of travellers sole aim of an outback trip so we consider ourselves fortunate to see everything we did.

As for the car, on the WAA line is a particularly steep ridge that we needed a second go at. Carrying more momentum we just made the top but it was a bouncy ride. That night at camp we noticed the gap between the pod and cab was not right and crawled underneath to find some damage.
It was solid and not moving to get any worse so we got to Mt Dare ASAP, Tony (their mechanic) had a look from the pit in the workshop finding a 35mm crack on the drivers side (the other side wasn't cracked) but both sides were bent.

That's where we said goodbye to the other travellers and headed the 500klm to The Alice, the rest is history as the say.

Great to meet you Rossco and we are really sorry and disappointed not to spend more time with you, another time mate Iain & Pauly Mac

jack
17th August 2016, 09:55 PM
Bad luck Macca,

I really felt for you and Pauly when I heard about your troubles. Looks like you took the 'cup half full' attitude and made the most of it anyway.
Was really looking forwards another informative trip report form you. On the bright side you can still do the Madigan another time (now that you've retired) with so much time on your hands.

Cheers mate

Rossco
17th August 2016, 10:10 PM
Awsome macca sounds like you guys had a great trip despite what happened, would have been great to be together but sounds like you had a pretty good adventure! Love the east macs have to have a look at the maps as to where you headed near the sandover that sounded pretty cool.

We're just staying in a bit of luxury at the moment at a beutifull old queensland pub in Tambo. Heading off tomorrow to Carnavon gorge was actually in the process of deciding if we can sqeeze in Santa Rosa as well as the main gorge but think we will have a look, you guys went in there yeah?

After we left birdsville headed north through Bedourie, stayed a night in Middleton (awesome!!). Then onto longreach. Think we were pretty lucky water around but everything open. Then from there north to Porcupine Gorge which was nice and White Mountains NP which was interesting, then back down to Tambo.

Anyway glad you guys had a great trip and the cars all good (hopefully better than before). Guess was a good outcome looking at those not so fortunate such as the BT50 at Mt Dare. Yeah good to meet up and a shame it was short lived but guess we'll just have to do another one !

macca
18th August 2016, 07:41 AM
Awsome macca sounds like you guys had a great trip despite what happened, would have been great to be together but sounds like you had a pretty good adventure! Love the east macs have to have a look at the maps as to where you headed near the sandover that sounded pretty cool.

We're just staying in a bit of luxury at the moment at a beutifull old queensland pub in Tambo. Heading off tomorrow to Carnavon gorge was actually in the process of deciding if we can sqeeze in Santa Rosa as well as the main gorge but think we will have a look, you guys went in there yeah?

After we left birdsville headed north through Bedourie, stayed a night in Middleton (awesome!!). Then onto longreach. Think we were pretty lucky water around but everything open. Then from there north to Porcupine Gorge which was nice and White Mountains NP which was interesting, then back down to Tambo.

Anyway glad you guys had a great trip and the cars all good (hopefully better than before). Guess was a good outcome looking at those not so fortunate such as the BT50 at Mt Dare. Yeah good to meet up and a shame it was short lived but guess we'll just have to do another one !

Had a beer in the Tambo pub with Steve, enjoyed his stories. Good bloke. We camped by the river, there were about 25 camps there from riff-raff like us to the super caravan / motorhome mob.

Salvador Rosa was worth the drive with a nice campsite and interesting drive to the springs. We have been to Carnarvon Gorge twice now in 1983 and 2008 the place is amazing, during the intervening years has been damaged by "D" heads so it has changed to reflect that. The long walk is well worth doing as the previous mentioned element can not walk that far! Do all the side trips off the Gorge, the moss garden is outstanding.

The Binns we drove is on a lot of graded wide straight road, occasional rough stuff around water ways but thought the Sandover was a track we hadn't seen but was not really worth it. In saying that Lake Nash to Dajarra was great fun if not suffering from fuel stress for the second half!

There are signs painted on bonnets everywhere, some art work too at Alpurrurulam, it had us wondering until we saw all the abandoned wrecks. If travelling with others we would go the length of it and the northern region is worth a better explore.

Stayed at Middleton in 2010, Lester and his wife were our hosts, and let us use their shower... great people. It was freezing and although Lester had a thick coat he had nothing on his feet, tough rooster.

Enjoy the rest of your trip and might try to catch up at Christmas, we are going to Pauly's mums in Yarragon.

Safe travels, Iain Macca

Rossco
18th August 2016, 08:23 AM
Ah cool, yeah will definatly head into Salvador Rosa (very soon actually), sounds nice shouldn't be to many crowds either. Expecting the main gorge to be relitvely developed / busy but looks beautiful, we'll do the full gorge walk up there.

The old boy still didn't have shoes on at Middleton, he's certainly a character, that shower is pretty epic. Interestingly they had just finished filming a movie using the pub and surrounding area called Goldstone, might have to check it out when we get back.

Most likely be heading to Mallacoota chrissy time so will be passing through some time so sounds good hopefully work something out.

macca
18th August 2016, 11:10 AM
Bad luck Macca,
I really felt for you and Pauly when I heard about your troubles. Looks like you took the 'cup half full' attitude and made the most of it anyway.
Cheers mate

Only way to go Jack, no point wasting energy on what was missed.
It is still there to do so one day...
We thought if we planned a trip to go where we did it would have been well received, so we were not disappointed.
Just missed the company of good friends that's all.

Rossco
18th August 2016, 12:12 PM
As luck would have it Roofy & Jane o stayed on the river at Tambo the last couple of nights just down from the pub. Caught up this morning then heading off to Santa Rosa after lunch, Roofy & Jane o are heading south to Chareville.

Had a look at where you traveled Macca, looked like a pretty good mission. How was the Sandover? Would have been a fair stress the last bit running on empty! Would of been good to explore some new country as opposed to the Plenty. . .

Stropp
18th August 2016, 04:29 PM
Macca that was a bummer mate although the resulting trek would have been good as it was unplanned, next time you do the madigan let me know and this time i should be able to make it :)

Sir Roofy
18th August 2016, 05:47 PM
As luck would have it Roofy & Jane o stayed on the river at Tambo the last couple of nights just down from the pub. Caught up this morning then heading off to Santa Rosa after lunch, Roofy & Jane o are heading south to Chareville.

Had a look at where you traveled Macca, looked like a pretty good mission. How was the Sandover? Would have been a fair stress the last bit running on empty! Would of been good to explore some new country as opposed to the Plenty. . .

Made it to Charlieville. Thanks Rosco. And to the rest of you knobs we have photos. Lots of photos. ..
But will need help putting them on the forum. When we get home we will ask the kids for help. Bloody technology.
Also have Gopro footage. Still 1 1/2 weeks to go 😆

macca
18th August 2016, 06:07 PM
Macca that was a bummer mate although the resulting trek would have been good as it was unplanned, next time you do the madigan let me know and this time i should be able to make it :)

You are on!

macca
18th August 2016, 06:13 PM
Made it to Charlieville. Thanks Rosco. And to the rest of you knobs we have photos. Lots of photos. ..
But will need help putting them on the forum. When we get home we will ask the kids for help. Bloody technology.
Also have Gopro footage. Still 1 1/2 weeks to go 😆

Enjoy yourselves, know you will.
Talk when you get home.

Finally got mine clean, that dirt keeps appearing every morning. Stuffed if I know where it comes from.

Made an application to the insurers to cover the repairs, got everything crossed.

Gave them everything I could think of including photo's of the hill that would have done the damage as Pauly ran up (yes ran) with the camera, Jimmy took 3 goes to crest the bugger so she thought it would make a good photo... little did we know!

Happy travels you two.

macca
18th August 2016, 08:43 PM
Ormiston Gorge, West MacDonald Ranges.
A double row panorama with 10 photos in each row, I hope!

Glen Helen Gorge, 5 Photos this time

Stropp
19th August 2016, 12:17 AM
You are on!

Great I will keep that tucked away 😁

Bob
24th August 2016, 06:14 PM
Just to report that Roofy & Jane called in today and will be home in their own Beds toninght.

Lots of Photos & Vids that will keep Roofy busy for a Day or two.

Welcome home Guys

macca
24th August 2016, 06:58 PM
Just to report that Roofy & Jane called in today and will be home in their own Beds toninght.

Welcome home Guys

Tried calling an hour ago with no answer, thought they must be getting closer to home.
Now the work really begins!

Sir Roofy
24th August 2016, 10:36 PM

Welcome home Guys
Thanks Bob was great catching up again

Sir Roofy
24th August 2016, 10:43 PM
Tried calling an hour ago with no answer, thought they must be getting closer to home.
Now the work really begins!
Where home safe and sound but it's bloody cold now so got the
fire pumping

jay see
24th August 2016, 10:46 PM
fire pumping
Good to hear.

Looking forward to going through all the pics.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

TPC
24th August 2016, 10:58 PM
fire pumping

Hope you had a great trip, I have been jealous the whole time you have been away.
We all want to see lots of photos so don't let us down.

mudski
25th August 2016, 09:13 AM
Whats taking you so long Roofy? Wheres the pics? :D

Stropp
25th August 2016, 11:36 AM
Whats taking you so long Roofy? Wheres the pics? :D

slow and steady mate :)

Sir Roofy
25th August 2016, 11:50 AM
slow and steady mate :)

Bugger need a new computer this old girl is giving me grief grrrrrrrrr
can't find what I'm looking for old pics have gone but will get it all up for
you in a couple of days

Winnie
25th August 2016, 12:26 PM
but will get it all up for
you in a couple of days

There's a pill for that mate :)

Stropp
25th August 2016, 03:04 PM

ha ha ha pearler winnie.

threedogs
25th August 2016, 04:00 PM
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-Strong-850mg-Blue-Tablet-for-Stamina-Performance-Hard-Erection-Last-Longer-/272245800330?var=&hash=item3f631d3d8a:m:mvFysbV9tMKdiXhgpAHNmoQ

Dont think you'll need them yet but just in case ha ha

Sir Roofy
26th August 2016, 10:07 AM
Have they got a pill to shrink photos and movie pics to put on the forum

gubigfish
26th August 2016, 03:41 PM
Have they got a pill to shrink photos and movie pics to put on the forum

Nope but theres a computer program called irfanview that allows you to do batch resizes of photos

http://www.irfanview.com/

Rossco
28th August 2016, 10:03 AM
A few more pics from our travels, just in Byron Bay for a couple of days then head homewards slowlyish.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/317.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/318.jpg

Headed north from Birdsville through Bedourie and Boulia.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/319.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/320.jpg

Saw some Brolgas and got real excited, little did we know they were everwhere up there!

Stayed the night had tea and a few beers at the Middleton pub, awesome place.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/321.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/322.jpg

Sunrise @ Middleton.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/323.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/324.jpg

Just out Middleton, a hut they built for a movie they just finished making up there, used the pub too called Goldstone.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/325.jpg

Bustard

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/326.jpg

Brolgas everywhere! !

Rossco
28th August 2016, 10:41 AM
Stayed at Longreach a couple a days. Checked out the QANTAS museum and had a pretty good poke around the 747 there, was pretty amazing very very impressive machines.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/327.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/328.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/329.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/330.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/331.jpg

Headed north from there to Porcupine Gorge through Hughenden. Nice little back roads through the black soil plains. Saw a few locals who had a mishap with their tandem. Luckily the had a 6x4 on the tandem along with all the other stuff they had so they didn't have leave their gear but had a flat with no wheel brace so stopped gave them a hand.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/332.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/333.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/334.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/335.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/336.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/337.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/338.jpg

Beutiful swimming hole and was a very nice place in general.

Headed onto White Mountains National Park near Torrens Creek. Was interesting, stopped into the pub and asked the old boy there about it cos after bumping into the ranger and Jol Flemming at Birdville and having a chat, Jol said access might be a bit tricky and the pub might have a key to get in. Anyway no key but there were two areas one with a formal camp ground but "nuthin up there" and another area that haven't been opened to the public but there is a Gorge there you could bush bash down to. Said that sounded interesting so the old boy drew us a map try to try find it. As it was getting late decided to go to the formal camp ground and stayed there the night. Had a bit of a poke round the next day but the old boy was right, there wasn't much up there! Ummed and arred about weather to check out the other area but decided to and glad we did. Was a pretty spectacular sandstone Gorge and spent hours climbing around and trying to get down into it. Was pretty cool even found some aboriginal artwork up there. Nice camping spot in the middle of nowhere too. Could of spent days exploring round there I reckon.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/339.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/340.jpg

Fosilised termite mounds.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/341.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/342.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/343.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/344.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/345.jpg

Rossco
28th August 2016, 11:03 AM
Headed south from there through Aramac and Blackall and stayed the night at the Royal Carrangarra pub. Really beutiful old pub and the owner (Steve) is a great bloke who likes to get out there too. After a beer, lunch and a chat and headed off after catching up with Roofy & Jane O in the morning who were by chance staying down the river the same night!

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/346.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/347.jpg

Saw a Jabiru

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/348.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/349.jpg

Then headed into Salvator Rosie section of Carnavon Gorge NP. Beutiful little camp spot with only a couple of other campers around, nice country around there too.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/350.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/351.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/352.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/353.jpg

Bit daggy, but who cares! !

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/354.jpg

Belinda Springs.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/355.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/356.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/357.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/358.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/359.jpg

Rossco
28th August 2016, 11:28 AM
Headed onto the main section of Carnavon Gorge. Was a lot more busy and popular, but pretty impressive Gorge and thought the trails were done pretty well really, want too overdone.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/360.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/361.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/362.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/363.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/364.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/365.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/366.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/367.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/368.jpg

Did the walk up to the bluff in the morning, was a bit cloudy but all good.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/369.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/370.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/371.jpg

After Carnarvon headed over to Lady Elliot Island for a few days. Is a very cool island pretty small but the wildlife and coral was amazing. Saw Humpbacks from the plane coming in and off the island and heaps of sea turtles, fish, massive manta rays, a moray eel, sharks, dolfins to name a few!

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/372.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/373.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/374.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/375.jpg

Little Cessna Caravan.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/376.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/377.jpg

Weather want ideal all good, better than Victoria anyway!

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/378.jpg

White Crested Noddies everwhere.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/379.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/380.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/381.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/382.jpg

Nice sunset.

Winnie
28th August 2016, 11:40 AM
Sensational pics Rossco! Super jealous mate, looks like you're having a ball and the weather is behaving.
How long have you been gone for and how many kms have you done in the Patrol?

Rossco
28th August 2016, 12:06 PM
Sensational pics Rossco! Super jealous mate, looks like you're having a ball and the weather is behaving.
How long have you been gone for and how many kms have you done in the Patrol?

Yeah kinda feel a bit bad actually posting nice pics of enjoying it while everyone is working away (only a tiny bit tho!)

We left on the 17th of july so been on the road about 6 weeks, not bad going to be a shock getting back! Got another week so will be back on the weekend.

Think up to about 7000 k, stretching out this service till we get back. GQ has been good put a couple of dollops of oil in but not too bad concidering. The only funny thing was during the Madigan noticed an oil leak from the exhaust manifold from #1. Was a bit weird, got all paranoid thought cracked head but Roofy told me not to stress and thought it was valve stems leaking a bit from pretty much idling all day cos it was so cruisy. Got to big red and was still stressing and was going to take the chicken track but decided to give it a bit of a flogging and got up. Anyway after more normal driving dried up and is back to normal, so assume didn't like going slow too much. The only other thing is the red arc is playing up but put the manual override in which I'm glad i did so just do that. Apart from that all good, been reliable but slow think my turbo might be getting a bit tired. . .