PDA

View Full Version : H260 and H233B questions

SteeevO
12th July 2010, 01:42 PM
I'm over here in U.S. and we haven't been fortunate enough to have patrols sent over here let alone any vehicle with the H260 differential or High Pinion H233B.

What are the available ratios for the H260? and does anyone know of where i can buy pair of H260 3rd members that would be willing to ship to the states?

Also.
We have H233B differentials in tons and tons of our trucks, however we don't have any High Pinion versions. What ratios are available for the HP H233B? do the High Pinion H233b's have the same bolt pattern making them an easy swap with the low pinion H233b? If they are interchangeable.. I'll be wanting a pair of High Pinion H233B's as well.

Any Help would be greatly appreciated.

patch697
12th July 2010, 02:29 PM
This is the Bloke you need to talk to. He has all sorts of stuff including diff gears transfer case gears & also a 5th gears reduction as well.
I don't know if he ships but I can't see why not? he does everything else

Cheers
Paul

"Marks 4wd Adapters"

Jump onto our website to have a look through our products, if you can't find the conversion you are after or have any further questions don't hesitate to give us a call.

p: 03 9702 7366 f: 03 9702 7566

http://www.marks4wd.com

For the month of July we have a special on our Nissan Patrol 43% low range gears, for each set sold we are adding a bonus 6 pack of offroad DVDs with a RRP of around $200.00
DVDs could include Tuff Truck, Cliffhanger, Rockcrawling USA, etc etc.
The 43% low range gears retail for $1350.00 plus freight.

If you want to come down and visit our showroom is located at:
1-3 Ventura Place, Dandenong South, VIC, 3175

Cheers

Marks 4wd Adapters

SteeevO
12th July 2010, 02:53 PM
Thanks for the feedback.
I'm actually working on a doubler for the TX-10 transfer case with Marks.
I wasn't aware that they did 3rd member builds.

Whats the 5th gear reduction all about? I've never heard of anything like that over here in the states.

patch697
12th July 2010, 03:02 PM
Thanks for the feedback.
I'm actually working on a doubler for the TX-10 transfer case with Marks.
I wasn't aware that they did 3rd member builds.

Whats the 5th gear reduction all about? I've never heard of anything like that over here in the states.

I don't know if he does do 3rd member builds but he would be your best shot to find out.
As for the 5th gear? It gives you a bigger overdrive to increase your fuel economy at highway speeds.

Some ppl use them to bring there revs back down in top gear after changing to a lower gear ratio in there diffs.

Cheers
Paul

SteeevO
12th July 2010, 04:16 PM
ah yes that would be nice. really nice.

In the H233B Front Axles.. in your experience whats the weakest part / first thing to break on the trail?

patch697
12th July 2010, 04:21 PM
ah yes that would be nice. really nice.

In the H233B Front Axles.. in your experience whats the weakest part / first thing to break on the trail?

CV joints & hubs if you want to count them in.

Cheers
Paul

SteeevO
12th July 2010, 04:36 PM
Paul I really appreciate all the info .
How common is it for you guys to break a shaft or to grenade a 3rd?
Whats the outer axle shaft diameter?

patch697
12th July 2010, 06:25 PM
From time to time thay will flog the slip joint out in a shaft (strangely enough in the front more so then the back). Never had a 3rd grenade & axle size would be a better question for Mark.

Cheers
Paul

YNOT
12th July 2010, 07:57 PM
We have H233B differentials in tons and tons of our trucks, however we don't have any High Pinion versions. What ratios are available for the HP H233B? do the High Pinion H233b's have the same bolt pattern making them an easy swap with the low pinion H233b? If they are interchangeable.. I'll be wanting a pair of High Pinion H233B's as well.

Any Help would be greatly appreciated.

All our coil sprung Patrols have HP H223b front diffs. Ratio's are 3.9:1, 4.11:1, 4.375:1 and 4.6:1. There may be more but they are the most common. Bolt pattern is the same as low pinion.
I have swapped a high pinion into a (formally low pinion) rear housing. Spline count is different (HP front 31 spline, LP rear 33 spline), but the crown wheel bolt pattern is the same.
The inside radius of the crown wheel where it bolts to the centre is slightly different, so a HP crown wheel will need to have the radius opened up slightly to fit a 33 spline centre.
Limited slip centres are available in 31 spline, as found in our R50 model Pathfinders (rear diff).
Limited slip 33 spline centres are very common.

I don't know as much about the H260 diffs.
From about '88 to '97 they came out in our leaf spring utes with semi floating hubs and drum brakes. From '98 on the leaf spring utes got the H260 with full floating hubs and disc brakes.
From '98 to about '05 some coil sprung wagons got a H260 with semi floating hubs and disc brakes. Coil sprung H260's are about 80mm wider than leaf sprung H260's.
We never got H260's as high pinion's or front/steer axles, although I think some may have converted H260's to steer axles for competition use.
I don't know what ratio's are available.

I hope this is some help

Tony

SteeevO
13th July 2010, 06:56 AM
outstanding!
Was a Factory E-Locker ever an option for you guys over there?
You guys have been a huge help and solidifies the direction i'm going with a new axle build.

Over here we've been straight axle conversions on the Pathfinders (same as your Terrano)
We're coming out with a H233B front axle with a fabricated housing (low pinion for now).
The axle will Use Dana 60 outters and 1.37" axle shafts with an ARB locker.
Gear ratio is still up in the air right now. We have 5.13's available, 5.42's are available in iceland.
With a 37" tall tire, the 5.42's are what we'll need mathematically but i'm also considering the 5.57's from Nissan given that they'l fit in the H233B 3rd member. Supposedly there was some kind of pinion design difference between the original H233 and the H233B made in the '90's

I'm also keeping in mind that I don't want to do go too deep of a ratio in fear of sacrificing strength of the 3rd/R&P gears.

I wouldn't be surprised if this truck ends up on 39" tires. We're gearing up to go play with the Toyotas in on the 'Hammers' Trails in Johnson Valley, CA where the King of the Hammers race is held every February.
Here are a few pictures from the "midnight Brawl" event that a yota club does every year:
http://ruggedrocksoffroad.com/gallery/v/rockbrawlers-night-09/?g2_page=1

Here is whats King of the Hammers is all about:
http://kingofthehammers.com/

patch697
13th July 2010, 09:15 AM
Man you boys know how to have some fun.... that Vid clip was well worth a watch. I don't know who's crazier now us Aussies or you Yanks?....lol

Thanks for the post Steve where always happy to help.

Cheers
Paul

SteeevO
13th July 2010, 09:38 AM
Ha ha... yeah ... thats there is the hardest rock course on the planet as far as we know. It's about 1.5 hrs driving time from here where i am.

We do have quite a few competitors that come from overseas as well. This last year was the 3rd annual race and it's only gotten significantly bigger every year. A few friends, myself and others that want to help out from the Rugged Rocks Forum come out to help work checkpoints and wherever else they need help. It's a good time every year.

But does anyone have any gear ratio input as far as the deepest ratio you guys are comfortable running in an H233B? I know all the yota guys out here don't go deeper than 5.29's because they start breaking too much. Being that the H233B is much larger, I'd assume that running a 5.42 would be ok, the 5.57's have me wondering and the 5.87's are also questionable in my mind. But you guys have been beating these axles up harder and longer than we have in the states.

patch697
13th July 2010, 10:21 AM
Mate that is more a question for the comp boys who run purpose built comp trucks & there are some on here so hopefully thay can answer that one for ya.

Cheers
Paul

SteeevO
13th July 2010, 10:51 AM
OK, Thanks Paul.
Can you recommend some other Patrol forums that i can check out as well?

patch697
13th July 2010, 11:29 AM
OK, Thanks Paul.
Can you recommend some other Patrol forums that i can check out as well?

Sorry mate but I will leave that one up to you to find out for yourself as IMO forums are very user beware & I don't wish to be responsible for any bad experience you may have elsewhere.

Good luck with your search & know you are always welcome here to post any questions you may have or even just to chat to as lot if nothing else.

Cheers
Paul

SteeevO
13th July 2010, 11:36 AM
lol.. i'll definitely be hanging around here.

patch697
13th July 2010, 11:46 AM
lol.. i'll definitely be hanging around here.

Glad to here it & im sure I can speak for everyone in saying you are already considered one of the boys & besides that IF????? I ever manage to get to the US I may need somewhere to stay....lol

Cheers
Paul

SteeevO
13th July 2010, 12:04 PM
hahaha... you can even have the master BR if you manage to smuggle a GU over here with you...

patch697
13th July 2010, 12:11 PM
hahaha... you can even have the master BR if you manage to smuggle a GU over here with you...

Lol...........I'll see what I can do........lol

Cheers
Paul

YNOT
13th July 2010, 02:31 PM
Was a Factory E-Locker ever an option for you guys over there?
You guys have been a huge help and solidifies the direction i'm going with a new axle build.

I forgot to mention the locker option. Some Patrols were sold with a factory rear diff lock option. The locker is vacuum operated, and was only available in H233b low pinion 33 spline. Not as strong or reliable as Detroits and Air lockers. I have seen many people ask if it is possible to fit the factory rear locker to a steer axle, but I've never heard of anyone succesfully doing it.

The deepest ratio I've heard of being used is 4.88:1, but I'm not involved in competition at all.

Tony

SteeevO
13th July 2010, 05:15 PM
Ah yeah i found the vacuum locker in the manuals that i downloaded earlier as i was flipping through.

you mentioned DetroitS... do you guys have a detroit for the 33-spline H233B? I'm only aware of one detroit and it's for the 31 spline H233B.
What other locker options do you guys have for the H233B-33spline. we only have ARB's here and of course the factory LSD.

on the ratios we have 5.14 available here, in fact i offer them to my customers. but they just aren't deep enough.
Supposedly the 5.875's came out of a cabstar truck you guys have... what do you guys know about these trucks? do you guys know the model code (eg. Y60, Y61 etc.)

YNOT
13th July 2010, 06:34 PM
Detroits are available by special order from Locked Drive Systems.
I'll have to check, but I think Eaton either have or are developing an E-locker (electricly operated) as well. I have a TJM pro Locker fitted to my rear (33 spline) diff.
Y60 and Y61 are Patrol model codes, what we call GQ and GU.

Tony

Finly Owner
13th August 2010, 08:59 PM
Lol...........I'll see what I can do........lol

Cheers
Paul

Hey paul in the master bed rooom is the bouble bed and his missus. not a bad swap for a used GU.