Marree onto the Oodnadatta track to William creek/ Oodnadatta

Follow old Ghan railway route to Dalhousie Springs/mount dare/charlottes water

To finke and see the lambert centre

Finke to Alice springs via old andado track
Take the bitty from Alice to Darwin/Litchfield /Kakadu

Back down to Katherine to kunanurra and lake argyle

Down to halls creek then onto tanami road back to Alice springs

Visit Uluru-Kata tjutu

Then onto Coober pedy for a night then home via the farm.

Sooooooooooo. .
First up is 4-5 weeks do able..
I realize we could do so much more but I think it's a nice "figure 8" threw the middle..
Cost?? $5000 be enough?
Thinking $1000 a week plus $1000 back up. (We have a larger backup if it all goes to shit)
Thoughts

threedogs
3rd July 2016, 10:51 AM
cost it out out $2 a litre [safety margin included]
Litchfield is a must I loved it.
How many Ks all up and Ill do some figures for you. lol

BigRAWesty
3rd July 2016, 11:02 AM
cost it out out $2 a litre [safety margin included]
Litchfield is a must I loved it.
How many Ks all up and Ill do some figures for you. lol
About 8000k's
So about 17L/100 average.. (We get 15 on the highway with the van.)
And average of $1.80 (mid way from good to bad)
Think $2500 in fuel..

threedogs
3rd July 2016, 11:18 AM
Might want to work on worse case scenario on fuel to
so 20l per 100K

Had a friend towing a van with a full roof rackin a V8 lc100s heading north
up the Stuart hwy into a howling north wind, the best he could manage was
55l/100 Ks he had to buy extra jerry cans at Mt Willoughby RH just so he could get to Alice.
Conditions do change so thats why I always work on worse casr scenario [WCS]

Or $250-$300 for every fill up so $2500 in fuels sounds ok.
Will you service along the way or before you leave and when you return

Fuel sounds about right,,,now what to take he He He

BigRAWesty
3rd July 2016, 11:29 AM
Might want to work on worse case scenario on fuel to
so 20l per 100K

Had a friend towing a van with a full roof rackin a V8 lc100s heading north
up the Stuart hwy into a howling north wind, the best he could manage was
55l/100 Ks he had to buy extra jerry cans at Mt Willoughby RH just so he could get to Alice.
Conditions do change so thats why I always work on worse casr scenario [WCS]

Or $250-$300 for every fill up so $2500 in fuels sounds ok.
Will you service along the way or before you leave and when you return
Major service prior to leaving and oil change in darwin..
And my van ain't even a ton lol. But yea best to have to much.
So 2500 fuel. $1500 spending..
We'll factor in park passes and permits out of that $5000 as we'll work out those closer to the date..

threedogs
3rd July 2016, 11:34 AM
are you cooking meals [cheaper] or buying meals or a bit of both.
Buying could be expensive, unless maybe a feed of fish and chips once a week etc

so is $300 a week on food and park fees enough you think,

BigRAWesty
3rd July 2016, 12:03 PM
are you cooking meals [cheaper] or buying meals or a bit of both.
Buying could be expensive, unless maybe a feed of fish and chips once a week etc

so is $300 a week on food and park fees enough you think,
Both.. probably mainly cook our own food 5 of the 7 days a week..
Daily waters is on the "it's happening" list lol..

$300 a week will be spending..
Food,
Not counting park fees etc in this initial $5000.

TPC
3rd July 2016, 12:14 PM
Sounds like a great trip.
Would suggest a stop over at Mataranka if you can, the hot springs are brilliant especially if you have snorkeling gear with you.
When we did the Kimberleys in 2014 we took the Tanami up to Halls Creek and were planning to go back the same way, decided to go back via bitumen instead as the Tanami was so bad.
I do not mind a bit of corrugations but the Tanami was 700KM long and 70% of it was corrugated, shook the shit out of everything.

As Threedogs said, do your calculations on 20L/100KM.
It is a big trip to do in 4-5 weeks, make sure you plan to spend a reasonable amount of time in some places so you are not moving all the time and if you can be flexible with your plans you may want to stay longer somewhere and skip another place.
We were away for 6.5 weeks for our Kimberley trip and cost us over 10k but we did a lot of extravagant things like helicopter flights, Horizontal Falls and expensive camp sites, if we were careful with money and cut out a few things we could have done the trip for 5 or 6k.

When are you planning this for?

threedogs
3rd July 2016, 12:25 PM
X 2 on Mataranka awesome spot

BigRAWesty
3rd July 2016, 12:26 PM
Sounds like a great trip.
Would suggest a stop over at Mataranka if you can, the hot springs are brilliant especially if you have snorkeling gear with you.
When we did the Kimberleys in 2014 we took the Tanami up to Halls Creek and were planning to go back the same way, decided to go back via bitumen instead as the Tanami was so bad.
I do not mind a bit of corrugations but the Tanami was 700KM long and 70% of it was corrugated, shook the shit out of everything.

As Threedogs said, do your calculations on 20L/100KM.
It is a big trip to do in 4-5 weeks, make sure you plan to spend a reasonable amount of time in some places so you are not moving all the time and if you can be flexible with your plans you may want to stay longer somewhere and skip another place.
We were away for 6.5 weeks for our Kimberley trip and cost us over 10k but we did a lot of extravagant things like helicopter flights, Horizontal Falls and expensive camp sites, if we were careful with money and cut out a few things we could have done the trip for 5 or 6k.

When are you planning this for?

Thanks mate. That's the info were after..
And yea not planning the tanami twice lol..
Making Alice the cross over of our "figure 8" so basically I'll week of dust, week of bitty, week of dust, week of bitty..
Planning for basically this time next year.
Last 2 weeks of June and first 2 weeks of July as school holidays start on the 7th of July next year..

threedogs
3rd July 2016, 12:45 PM
Katherine gorge and the Cutta Cutta caves are worth a visit when down Katherine way,

Cuppa
3rd July 2016, 04:00 PM
Kallen, thoughts off the top of my head, heed or ignore them as you choose.

It’s an ambitious trip for 4 or 5 weeks, a high driving time to stopping time ratio, particularly if it’s your first time up there. Do-able, but I reckon you would have a far better time if you cut out the leg to Kunnanurra & Halls Creek. Depends on what you want, & also when you want to go. I can tell you from experience that it can become very tiring, especially if it’s hot.

There is plenty to see without heading west at Katherine.

Here are my recommendations (& not an exhaustive list ). Others will probably add their personal favourites.

Your planned route to Alice. I’ve only done parts of it. Lots of history along the way, Lots to stop & explore/photograph as well as the ‘remote’ experience. ? Could easily spend a week to 10 days.

Alice itself is not that special, stop there to stock up with supplies , but plan to camp out in the east & West Macdonnells. A good overnighter in the West Macs if you have your own toilet is Howards Lookout. Fantastic views. A good base camp in the West Macs is at Ormiston Gorge - toilets, showers & shelters. Explore from there - easily a couple of day trips, or longer if you like a bit of bushwalking. Out in the East Macs there is a reasonable campground at Trephina Gorge with basic facilities (toilets, water & shelters) but the camp ground at Ross River Homestead is really nice if open. A couple of days + in the East Macs.

Uluru & Kata Tjuta - ‘magnificent’ & something every Aussie should see at least once in their life! Allow a day to travel from Alice to the rock, to set up camp & have a dip in the pool. Another day to see the Rock at dawn & dusk, & to walk around it/visit the info centre. Break camp and spend 3rd day visiting Kata Tjuta & doing the Valley of the Winds walk if you are feeling reasonably fit spending that night at the Spring Creek free camp (no facilities) en route to Kings Canyon. A further day/overnighter at Kings Canyon.

Plenty to stop & look at between Alice & Darwin.

An overnight camp behind the Devils Marbles a bit south of Tennant Creek

Katherine Gorge.

Everyone raves about Mataranka, but honestly Bitter Springs just 10 minutes away is far more appealing. There is a caravan park there & the creek is natural, beautifully warm, crystal clear & just take a floatie & allow the current to carry you. Rather like Mataranka thermal pool was years ago before they concreted it like a swimming pool. Actually it’s better.

Edith Falls. Fantastic camp north of Katherine, brilliant swimming in the lower pool & up in the top pools. Full facilities & a kiosk. I would never bypass Edith Falls.

If staying in Katherine, the Manbulloo Station camp about 9kms out of town is right on the banks of the Katherine River & a very laid back sort of place. Much nicer than the CP’s in town. I’d prefer staing there & doing a day trip to Katherine Gorge. Go early to beat the heat of the day. Didn’t like the campground at the gorge.

Daly Waters pub. Camp ground next to the pub.

Kakadu - River/Billabongs/wildlife + Aboriginal heritage + Stone country.

Turn off at Pine Creek - Gunlom Falls - relax in a pool with extensive views at the top of a waterfall. Campground.
Yellow Waters - Get up early & take the breakfast cruise. You’ll think you’re in the middle of a david Attenborough doc. Huge variety of birdlife close up & plenty of crocs (also close up).
Cahills Crossing - stay at one of the NP campgrounds - ‘Merl’ is the closest. Make sure you are at the crossing at the turn of the tide for all the croc action - better than paid for jumping croc tours & free to boot. Ask at the Border Store when the tide time will be. If up for an easy walk the Bardejilledji walk is close by & takes you through some interesting stone structures & if you keep your eyes open some unusual rock art that many folk don’t see.
Ubirr rock, also close by has probably the best display of refreshed rock art as well as one of the best Kakadu views from the top of the rock. Kakadu can be either disappointing or mind blowing, this is largely dependent upon when you visit. If you are lucky to be there when the many billabongs have there water levels low enough for wading birds you’ll be rewarded by the sight of millions of birds as far as the eye can see. These are what I’d recommend for a short (?3 day) visit. There is much more to see if you stay longer.

Leave Kakadu heading toward Darwin. The campground at Annaburroo Homestead has a typically unique NT flavour as well as a croc free Billabong for swimming & canoeing, plenty of roos, a bar, & all facilities. Entrance off the highway directly opposite the Bark Hut Inn.

I guess Darwin is somewhere you have to check out whilst up that way. I liked it almost 30 years ago but these days it’s become a mining boom fuelled strip development which does little for me.
If you’ve never been, there is stuff worth checking out, but I’d doubt it will be a trip highlight.

Litchfield is mainly about waterfalls, rightly so, but leaving your camper in a campground & taking the car around the tight track into the ‘Lost City’ will reward you with an interesting & easy walk.

Mate, there are so any other things you could see whilst covering that ground but you’d need several months. Over your 4 or 5 weeks you’ll just be scraping the surface & seeing the highlights. Don’t underestimate the tiring nature of travelling every day, especially when hot, allow for as much stopping time as travelling time. Far better to be relaxed & appreciate what you are seeing than to try to do too much, get tired & grouchy & end up standing in front of magnificence wondering why you bothered! I’ve done it both ways!.
When driving try to take a break every couple of hours & have a good look at the country you are standing on when you do. Plan to set up camp by mid afternoon on each travel day.Too many people describe travelling through hundreds of kilometres of ’nothing’. They wouldn’t say that if they stopped & took notice of their surroundings every so often. They miss so much. It’s the little unexpected stuff which stays in the memories just as much as the big ticket stuff.

You might find some of the photos in the relevant sections of my (now aging) trip blog will whet your appetite. http://www.cuppa500.com/_Big_Trip/Archive.html

BigRAWesty
3rd July 2016, 05:04 PM
Kallen, thoughts off the top of my head, heed or ignore them as you choose.

It’s an ambitious trip for 4 or 5 weeks, a high driving time to stopping time ratio, particularly if it’s your first time up there. Do-able, but I reckon you would have a far better time if you cut out the leg to Kunnanurra & Halls Creek. Depends on what you want, & also when you want to go. I can tell you from experience that it can become very tiring, especially if it’s hot.

There is plenty to see without heading west at Katherine.

Here are my recommendations (& not an exhaustive list ). Others will probably add their personal favourites.

Your planned route to Alice. I’ve only done parts of it. Lots of history along the way, Lots to stop & explore/photograph as well as the ‘remote’ experience. ? Could easily spend a week to 10 days.

Alice itself is not that special, stop there to stock up with supplies , but plan to camp out in the east & West Macdonnells. A good overnighter in the West Macs if you have your own toilet is Howards Lookout. Fantastic views. A good base camp in the West Macs is at Ormiston Gorge - toilets, showers & shelters. Explore from there - easily a couple of day trips, or longer if you like a bit of bushwalking. Out in the East Macs there is a reasonable campground at Trephina Gorge with basic facilities (toilets, water & shelters) but the camp ground at Ross River Homestead is really nice if open. A couple of days + in the East Macs.

Uluru & Kata Tjuta - ‘magnificent’ & something every Aussie should see at least once in their life! Allow a day to travel from Alice to the rock, to set up camp & have a dip in the pool. Another day to see the Rock at dawn & dusk, & to walk around it/visit the info centre. Break camp and spend 3rd day visiting Kata Tjuta & doing the Valley of the Winds walk if you are feeling reasonably fit spending that night at the Spring Creek free camp (no facilities) en route to Kings Canyon. A further day/overnighter at Kings Canyon.

Plenty to stop & look at between Alice & Darwin.

An overnight camp behind the Devils Marbles a bit south of Tennant Creek

Katherine Gorge.

Everyone raves about Mataranka, but honestly Bitter Springs just 10 minutes away is far more appealing. There is a caravan park there & the creek is natural, beautifully warm, crystal clear & just take a floatie & allow the current to carry you. Rather like Mataranka thermal pool was years ago before they concreted it like a swimming pool. Actually it’s better.

Edith Falls. Fantastic camp north of Katherine, brilliant swimming in the lower pool & up in the top pools. Full facilities & a kiosk. I would never bypass Edith Falls.

If staying in Katherine, the Manbulloo Station camp about 9kms out of town is right on the banks of the Katherine River & a very laid back sort of place. Much nicer than the CP’s in town. I’d prefer staing there & doing a day trip to Katherine Gorge. Go early to beat the heat of the day. Didn’t like the campground at the gorge.

Daly Waters pub. Camp ground next to the pub.

Kakadu - River/Billabongs/wildlife + Aboriginal heritage + Stone country.

Turn off at Pine Creek - Gunlom Falls - relax in a pool with extensive views at the top of a waterfall. Campground.
Yellow Waters - Get up early & take the breakfast cruise. You’ll think you’re in the middle of a david Attenborough doc. Huge variety of birdlife close up & plenty of crocs (also close up).
Cahills Crossing - stay at one of the NP campgrounds - ‘Merl’ is the closest. Make sure you are at the crossing at the turn of the tide for all the croc action - better than paid for jumping croc tours & free to boot. Ask at the Border Store when the tide time will be. If up for an easy walk the Bardejilledji walk is close by & takes you through some interesting stone structures & if you keep your eyes open some unusual rock art that many folk don’t see.
Ubirr rock, also close by has probably the best display of refreshed rock art as well as one of the best Kakadu views from the top of the rock. Kakadu can be either disappointing or mind blowing, this is largely dependent upon when you visit. If you are lucky to be there when the many billabongs have there water levels low enough for wading birds you’ll be rewarded by the sight of millions of birds as far as the eye can see. These are what I’d recommend for a short (?3 day) visit. There is much more to see if you stay longer.

Leave Kakadu heading toward Darwin. The campground at Annaburroo Homestead has a typically unique NT flavour as well as a croc free Billabong for swimming & canoeing, plenty of roos, a bar, & all facilities. Entrance off the highway directly opposite the Bark Hut Inn.

I guess Darwin is somewhere you have to check out whilst up that way. I liked it almost 30 years ago but these days it’s become a mining boom fuelled strip development which does little for me.
If you’ve never been, there is stuff worth checking out, but I’d doubt it will be a trip highlight.

Litchfield is mainly about waterfalls, rightly so, but leaving your camper in a campground & taking the car around the tight track into the ‘Lost City’ will reward you with an interesting & easy walk.

Mate, there are so any other things you could see whilst covering that ground but you’d need several months. Over your 4 or 5 weeks you’ll just be scraping the surface & seeing the highlights. Don’t underestimate the tiring nature of travelling every day, especially when hot, allow for as much stopping time as travelling time. Far better to be relaxed & appreciate what you are seeing than to try to do too much, get tired & grouchy & end up standing in front of magnificence wondering why you bothered! I’ve done it both ways!.
When driving try to take a break every couple of hours & have a good look at the country you are standing on when you do. Plan to set up camp by mid afternoon on each travel day.Too many people describe travelling through hundreds of kilometres of ’nothing’. They wouldn’t say that if they stopped & took notice of their surroundings every so often. They miss so much. It’s the little unexpected stuff which stays in the memories just as much as the big ticket stuff.

You might find some of the photos in the relevant sections of my (now aging) trip blog will whet your appetite. http://www.cuppa500.com/_Big_Trip/Archive.html
As always mate everyone's input is regauded highly and as mentioned to Tony this is what I want to hear..
Much rather plan it then shoot off on a whim and not enjoy it..

Just to touch a few points..
Darwin.. I think we're stopping in to say we've done it..
Imo it's just a city and as you have put one that's been taken by b the mining.. I'd say it's similar to Roxby. Just closer to water lol..

We plan to spend more time bush than highway..

How many days should I expect on the Oodnadatta track?
Remembering were going threw to Dalhousie, mt dare and charlotte waters then onto Alice.

And also how many days on the Tanami? From reading it's about 2 days crossing..

threedogs
3rd July 2016, 05:39 PM
Boy have you got Darwin all wrong, its a booming town with all the signs of getting even bigger.
You'll not want for anything in Darwin it has the lot, great restaurants, a new wave beach.etc
I love Darwin,,, worked out of Darwin and have lived in Darwin for a short time too, it will blow your mind
Great WW2 history as well

the evil twin
3rd July 2016, 05:48 PM
What Cuppa said X 2 pretty much except Darwin

Must do's (in the order of your travel roughly) -
Dalhousie
Lambert Centre (tick box)
Chambers Pillar (note that it only does it's 'thing' at Sunset but the other formations there are equally speccy IMHO)
Alice Springs Transport Museum
Mataranka (Feed the Barra/Pools/Bitter Springs/Cutta Cutta as per your choice)
Katherine Gorge (Cruise or Chopper)

If you turn off near Pine Creek and go to Kakadon't
UDP (Gunlom) Falls is speccy esp if you have seen Croc Dundee #1 (bottom end of Park)
Maguk (bottom end as well)
Ubirr Rock and Cahills (top end of Park) agree as per Cuppa's post
and Twin or Jim Jim Falls or both or skip if limited time.
On the way out def stop at Bark Hut Inn for a look.
and 'Windows on the Wetland' is OK (and free)
at Humpty Doo, be reverent as you pass thru as that is where E.T. used to live.
(reverse the order if you go in from the Darwin end)

Darwin (I disagree with Cuppa here, yes, it isn't a frontier town now but there are heaps to do and see)
Def must see - Aviation Museum - Free IIRC (B52 Bomber),
Def must see - NT Musuem and Maritime Museum - Free (see how big Sweetheart the Boat Eating Croc was)
Def must see - East Point War Museum - Free
Def must see - QANTAS Hangar and Vintage Motor thingy at Parap - Donation Entry
Fannie Bay Gaol
Def must do if open - Mindil Beach Markets (Sunday Evenings)
Darwin Wharf Precinct
Litchfield National Park (Sandy Creek Falls and Buley Rockholes were my favs)

West NT and top of WA
Lake Argyle
Bungle Bungles

Uluru etc
Do at least a couple of the Gorges
Purchase the Meereenie Loop Road Pass shortcut to Kings
Kings Canyon (do the rim walk) if staying at Kings Resort and want power site book or get there early the day before but I like Kings Creek Station better
Yulara you will need at least two nights really, one so you can see the Sunset and one so you can actually get to time to see/cycle/walk around the Rockand also do the Olgas

Fuel ATM is
$1:40 ish in the off the highway NT like Jabiru
$1:60 ish top of WA and
$1:80 ish at the remote sites like Kings, Yulara etc but haven't heard about Yuendumu for ages
Scary at Oodnadatta/Mt Dare/Finke

I think you are more than OK for your fuel calcs assuming 8,000 K's but prob a fair bit low on your spend budget

threedogs
3rd July 2016, 06:04 PM
Plenty of history, Darwin was originally called Palmerston till 1911
where it was moved to its present location
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwin,_Northern_Territory

Hodge
3rd July 2016, 06:21 PM
This may or may not help you. Saw it earlier. Thought I'd show ya.

http://www.expeditionaustralia.com.au/free-big-lap-budget-spreadsheet/

BigRAWesty
3rd July 2016, 06:31 PM
This may or may not help you. Saw it earlier. Thought I'd show ya.

http://www.expeditionaustralia.com.au/free-big-lap-budget-spreadsheet/
Thanks mate. Just down loaded..

TPC
3rd July 2016, 07:05 PM

When I suggested Mataranka I meant Bitter Springs, that is where we stayed and really enjoyed floating in the creek. The caravan park pub had live music by Garry Booth while we were there too which was great.

MudRunnerTD
3rd July 2016, 10:11 PM
Sounds like a great trip, I agree, don't be in a hurry mate, if you have 5 weeks then plan to enjoy it and not come home cranky without lifetime memories.

Plan to give decent time to good places, if you can't get everywhere that's ok, you will get back again.

Question... Is your Dove an Off-road unit? If not then you have some work to do bud, corrugaions kill. Have a bloody good look at your unit and make changes, brace, strengthen, upgrade. If your damper is not up to it your trip could go to shit quickly mate. The Ghan Heritage Trail up to Finke is rough with sleepers still in the ground in sections.

I reckon your trying to fit too much in mate.

BigRAWesty
3rd July 2016, 10:14 PM
So after thinking about it more I think we'll drop the Oodnadatta track for this trip..
Shoot straight for alice..
May shoot into William creek and lake eyre is its got water in it..
And still undecided if to shoot into finke and do the Ghan line into alice to see the camber pillars. .
That should knock a few days off..

BigRAWesty
7th November 2016, 10:29 PM
Sounds like a great trip, I agree, don't be in a hurry mate, if you have 5 weeks then plan to enjoy it and not come home cranky without lifetime memories.

Plan to give decent time to good places, if you can't get everywhere that's ok, you will get back again.

Question... Is your Dove an Off-road unit? If not then you have some work to do bud, corrugaions kill. Have a bloody good look at your unit and make changes, brace, strengthen, upgrade. If your damper is not up to it your trip could go to shit quickly mate. The Ghan Heritage Trail up to Finke is rough with sleepers still in the ground in sections.

I reckon your trying to fit too much in mate.
Hey bloke I must have posted the same time as you, totally missed it..

The dove is not OB buy name but should be more than worth of the OB tracks.
Full length chassis upgrade, outback eye to eye springs, 31" tyres.
I am going over the whole lot though to ensure its ready for the trip..

happygu
7th November 2016, 11:22 PM
Kallen,

One of my first trips up that way was 4 weeks long, Melbourne to Broome via Alice and the Tanami, The Kimberley, across to Darwin and then straight back down the highway to home. So it is doable, but it is then go, go, go ..... Back then I wasn't on holidays till I was there, so it was drive flat out to get to the destination, and then wander about from there. Sometimes it is OK to have a trip like that and you will still see heaps and do heaps, and it is then an appetizer to go back and see the stuff that you couldn't the first time.

I would do the Oodnadatta on the way up, and the highway back ..... don't want to do the highway twice if you can help it. The Oodnadatta is interesting too.

These days the whole trip is part of the journey and I do much prefer to travel on different paths , rather than using the same road up and back if possible, and take things a little slower, but I had to go and do a trip like yours the first time to know that I wanted to go back and do it again.

There is so much to see and do, and I agree with most of the things that have been posted so far .... for me a couple of the highlights not already mentioned are Berri Springs - take mask and snorkel if you can to look at the fish in the crystal clear waters, The Lost City ( Helicopter ride - like the Bungle Bungles but on your journey itinerary ), and Howard Hot Springs. Contrary to others, I also loved Kakadon't, as I went with that attitude and was pleasantly surprised by how much better it was than what I thought it would be, but for me one of the highlights in Kakadu was rescuing 3 different vehicles on the way out to Twin Falls, and then driving back through the river at Jim Jim at night ( after staying too late at Twin Falls and performing too many recoveries ) with the crossing consisting of my headlights being submerged most of the way across with water coming up over the bonnet. The other was the vision of millions of Magpie Geese in one of the lagoons. This has left me with lasting memories that make this special in my mind, and you will find and come across your own special adventures wherever you go, and whatever you get up to.

If you are going to go this complete trip in the four weeks then I would think about ditching the camper, and using a quick setup tent. Going more lightweight will allow you to travel a little faster, and be a bit more agile.

Mic

BigRAWesty
8th November 2016, 01:52 PM
So we have dropped Oodnadatta and are making a B line straight for Ularu.
Anything south can be done in 2 weeks trips. .
And after working out a rough travel log it's definitely a 5 week trip.
Realistically taking the camper trailer isn't really going to cost us time, and setup times can be as little as 15 mins.
So apart from the bit extra fuel usage I think the camper is a certain thing.
Plus with the kids it's much easier to set up the camper compared to a tent..

But...
Talking to the caretakers of Lake Argyle Resort last night about booking times etc (it's only $44 a night!! Crazy cheap!!) The tanami will be sealed in 2 years!!
So this section for me is a must..

Ow and a pic of the Resort to drool over..
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/11/61.jpg

Cuppa
8th November 2016, 02:17 PM
Was cool & windy when we stayed a night at that Lake Argyle resort. Didn’t do much for me, but then caravan parks rarely do. So anyway if you are going across to Kununurra & Lake Argyle there is a ‘must do’ when you’re there. We didn’t do it but will next time we’re up that way ‘cos everyone I know who has done raves about how good it was .... The Triple J boat trip down the Ord river from Kununurra to Lake Argyle. Can be done both ways or one way with coach return. Keep River NP has some spectacular walks, The Bungles (best seen at ground level IMHO) are without comparison, & there is some great stuff up around Wyndham too (including a small laid back caravan park which was one of the few I actually enjoyed. If you went straight up the guts & across the Tanami to the Kununurra/Wyndham/Border area you could easily fill your 5 weeks & not see/do everything. The Gregory NP has some good free camping at Big Horse Creek campground 10kms from Timber creek. Easily accessible, loww cost with facilities & a good base for some 4wd day trips.

TimE
8th November 2016, 03:43 PM
For all the longer trips we (me and Mrs TimE) do I budget $1/k. That figure takes account of everything, fuel, food, grog, entertainment. eating out, park fees etc, and a contingency for R&M.

On our 17,000k trip this year I reckon I got close to spending the $17k. This included a new long range tank in Darwin (the old one split) and new shocks in AS.

If there are no big repairs costs I figure I've come out ahead :)

jay see
8th November 2016, 04:03 PM
Looking at that pic of oz.
I wish I get to do something like that..

Throbbinhood
8th November 2016, 04:53 PM
Looking at that pic of oz.
I wish I get to do something like that..

Yep. I look at that and think I need to start dealing drugs or something

BigRAWesty
8th November 2016, 04:59 PM
For all the longer trips we (me and Mrs TimE) do I budget $1/k. That figure takes account of everything, fuel, food, grog, entertainment. eating out, park fees etc, and a contingency for R&M.

On our 17,000k trip this year I reckon I got close to spending the $17k. This included a new long range tank in Darwin (the old one split) and new shocks in AS.

If there are no big repairs costs I figure I've come out ahead :)

For a Google Earth view of my travels try this link https://personal.filesanywhere.com/fs/v.aspx?v=8d6e678c606073aa71a1
That's a fair costing..
Hopefully maintenance is sorted prior to leaving..
Gu had just had new suspension put under it.
Have spent on quality suspension on the van..
Major service before we leave.
So hopefully by spending before we leave will make for a smoother trip..

BigRAWesty
8th November 2016, 05:00 PM
Was cool & windy when we stayed a night at that Lake Argyle resort. Didn’t do much for me, but then caravan parks rarely do. So anyway if you are going across to Kununurra & Lake Argyle there is a ‘must do’ when you’re there. We didn’t do it but will next time we’re up that way ‘cos everyone I know who has done raves about how good it was .... The Triple J boat trip down the Ord river from Kununurra to Lake Argyle. Can be done both ways or one way with coach return. Keep River NP has some spectacular walks, The Bungles (best seen at ground level IMHO) are without comparison, & there is some great stuff up around Wyndham too (including a small laid back caravan park which was one of the few I actually enjoyed. If you went straight up the guts & across the Tanami to the Kununurra/Wyndham/Border area you could easily fill your 5 weeks & not see/do everything. The Gregory NP has some good free camping at Big Horse Creek campground 10kms from Timber creek. Easily accessible, loww cost with facilities & a good base for some 4wd day trips.
We're planning 4 nights at Lake Argyle so those few things can definitely be done..

TimE
8th November 2016, 05:19 PM
That's a fair costing..
Hopefully maintenance is sorted prior to leaving..
Gu had just had new suspension put under it.
Have spent on quality suspension on the van..
Major service before we leave.
So hopefully by spending before we leave will make for a smoother trip..

Yep, major service and pre trip check over before the trip. Serviced in Darwin and AS along the way ............ but Murphy always manages to throw something up. My long range tank was 8 years old, fatigue cracks started from where the baffles are welded inside the tank. Had the crack welded up in Birdsville but it opened up again in Coburg. The shocks where only about 40k old, but I guess they where 40k rough ks. Used up 4 air filters and 3 punctures on the camper. The camper wears the same wheels and tyres as the Patrol, lots of tread but no match for bits of wire and mulga stakes.

PS Sig pic was taken at Ruby Gap, east of AS, well worth a look.

BigRAWesty
8th November 2016, 05:34 PM
Yep, major service and pre trip check over before the trip. Serviced in Darwin and AS along the way ............ but Murphy always manages to throw something up. My long range tank was 8 years old, fatigue cracks started from where the baffles are welded inside the tank. Had the crack welded up in Birdsville but it opened up again in Coburg. The shocks where only about 40k old, but I guess they where 40k rough ks. Used up 4 air filters and 3 punctures on the camper. The camper wears the same wheels and tyres as the Patrol, lots of tread but no match for bits of wire and mulga stakes.

PS Sig pic was taken at Ruby Gap, east of AS, well worth a look.
Yea the van will have the same tyres as the wagon, and 3 spares between 6 wheels, plus puncher kit..

Maxhead
8th November 2016, 06:17 PM
Most importantly Westy, don't forget to stop, enjoy and take in the serenity. Let the kids take it all in (and yourselves of course).
Best plan I had was not to have a plan :)

MudRunnerTD
8th November 2016, 06:30 PM
Most importantly Westy, don't forget to stop, enjoy and take in the serenity. Let the kids take it all in (and yourselves of course).

The Best advice you will get in this thread for sure!!! Don't try and do it all mate, there will be another time. Go and enjoy your family

Cuppa
8th November 2016, 07:15 PM

Yup. By all means have a couple of 'must do's', but make the rest 'maybe's'.

Avo
8th November 2016, 10:54 PM
take a third of what you think you'll spend on the trip just for repairs ,if you end up having none....stop at a pub close to home on the way back and spend it

Plasnart
8th November 2016, 11:23 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWDHl8ad9QE

BigRAWesty
9th November 2016, 09:39 AM

The Best advice you will get in this thread for sure!!! Don't try and do it all mate, there will be another time. Go and enjoy your family

Yup. By all means have a couple of 'must do's', but make the rest 'maybe's'.

You know what. Last night me a nissa were talking and we've sorta said f it..
Were going to set dates for Ularu, the ulgas, kings, tanami and lake argyle resort for the pure fact that booking a spot at the resort needs to be made as early as possible.
I realize it could all still go south if we have trouble on the tanami, but I'd prefer to have it booked than not..
Then after that were only planning be home date..
We talked about the idea of ditching darwin and just do the Kimberly but that'll mean tanami twice and Tbh, I think that'll probably be best left untill it's sealed lol..
To I think we'll leave the Bungles for this trip and maybe focus more on Litchfield more than Kakadu but it's all open..
We've looked at the boat trips Cuppa and although the Tripple J trip looks awesome with the kids were probably going to just do a smaller sunset trip on the lake.

On a side note..
What's to do between Adelaide and Alice.
On the way up were doing an over night at Adelaide as the plan is to head to Alice with the parents and spend a few nights around Ularu with them.
But over night stops at Glendambo and Marla, with a look around Coober Pedy for lunch.
Again all the stuff south is doable in shorter trips, but I'd like to do different places on the way home..

take a third of what you think you'll spend on the trip just for repairs ,if you end up having none....stop at a pub close to home on the way back and spend it
Now that sounds like a winner..
But any extra left over will go back into savings for the next trip..
Planning on the trip being about $6000, but will have around $9000 total if needed..
Which works out more than $1/km..

MudRunnerTD
9th November 2016, 11:02 AM
Coward Springs is a good over night stop on the way up mate. Hot Springs. Showers. Clean Camp site. Not Big.

Argibukina Bridge is also a great stop.

happygu
9th November 2016, 11:08 AM
You know what. Last night me a nissa were talking and we've sorta said f it..
Were going to set dates for Ularu, the ulgas, kings, tanami and lake argyle resort for the pure fact that booking a spot at the resort needs to be made as early as possible.
I realize it could all still go south if we have trouble on the tanami, but I'd prefer to have it booked than not..
Then after that were only planning be home date..
We talked about the idea of ditching darwin and just do the Kimberly but that'll mean tanami twice and Tbh, I think that'll probably be best left untill it's sealed lol..
To I think we'll leave the Bungles for this trip and maybe focus more on Litchfield more than Kakadu but it's all open..
We've looked at the boat trips Cuppa and although the Tripple J trip looks awesome with the kids were probably going to just do a smaller sunset trip on the lake.

On a side note..
What's to do between Adelaide and Alice.
On the way up were doing an over night at Adelaide as the plan is to head to Alice with the parents and spend a few nights around Ularu with them.
But over night stops at Glendambo and Marla, with a look around Coober Pedy for lunch.
Again all the stuff south is doable in shorter trips, but I'd like to do different places on the way home..

Now that sounds like a winner..
But any extra left over will go back into savings for the next trip..
Planning on the trip being about $6000, but will have around $9000 total if needed..
Which works out more than $1/km..

It is always good to have a plan because you need to know where you want to get to, and how much time you have to spend, but add in some flexibility too, as when you talk to fellow travellers they will tell you about great spots you never heard of before you left, having some flexibility helps to accommodate this new information into the schedule, and there is nothing worse than finding a fantastic spot, to leave cause you 'have to stay on plan' and drive 80 k's up the road to the next spot you 'have to camp at', and find it totally full, trashed, or horrible. If you find a great spot, and everyone is happy, a bit of flexibility means that you can stay an extra night, and enjoy it.

As you have the kids with you, you will need to plan for down days anyway, as the kids won't want to travel 400 k's every day for 5 weeks. If you schedule in some Rest Days along the way ( 3 or 4 ), then these can be used to stay longer at fantastic spots, or give the kids a bit of a break from the constant travel.

gaddy
9th November 2016, 11:52 AM
It's interesting reading everyone's responses, just go's to show we all travel differently ! We have a basic plan of where we want to go , we never book ahead in the outback , I want to be able to relax and enjoy ( we are normally on a four week time frame )with the outback being what it is things can change in a hurry, weather road closures etc .
On the kid side of things we let them decide when we are stopping for a day or 2 , if they aren't happy the whole trip will be unhappy !

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

BigRAWesty
9th November 2016, 12:06 PM
Coward Springs is a good over night stop on the way up mate. Hot Springs. Showers. Clean Camp site. Not Big.

Will check them out..

It is always good to have a plan because you need to know where you want to get to, and how much time you have to spend, but add in some flexibility too, as when you talk to fellow travellers they will tell you about great spots you never heard of before you left, having some flexibility helps to accommodate this new information into the schedule, and there is nothing worse than finding a fantastic spot, to leave cause you 'have to stay on plan' and drive 80 k's up the road to the next spot you 'have to camp at', and find it totally full, trashed, or horrible. If you find a great spot, and everyone is happy, a bit of flexibility means that you can stay an extra night, and enjoy it.

As you have the kids with you, you will need to plan for down days anyway, as the kids won't want to travel 400 k's every day for 5 weeks. If you schedule in some Rest Days along the way ( 3 or 4 ), then these can be used to stay longer at fantastic spots, or give the kids a bit of a break from the constant travel.
Yea planning to have 4 extended stops..
Ularu the first, then lake argyle, Litchfield and then kakadu if we make it..
Still planning on doing finke, chambers pillars and Lamberts center on the trek home but again not critical.

MudRunnerTD
9th November 2016, 12:30 PM
When touring with my kids i have a Rule. we Eat on the move. When we stop for a Lunch break it is for Movement. get out, run to the top of that sand dune. whatever you like. No sitting in the car. No Electronics. Enjoy. make their lunch and they eat when they get back in the car and your rolling again.

gaddy
9th November 2016, 02:13 PM
When touring with my kids i have a Rule. we Eat on the move. When we stop for a Lunch break it is for Movement. get out, run to the top of that sand dune. whatever you like. No sitting in the car. No Electronics. Enjoy. make their lunch and they eat when they get back in the car and your rolling again.
See we are all different, once on the dirt we are early risers, start rolling early get a couple of hours in stop about 9 for about a hour , give the rig a once over while the mrs makes breaky/brunch kids burn around, stop again at lunch for another hour or so , give the vehicle another once over kids burn around again , finish the day around 3 or 4 , works for us and is the reason we travel solo , i hate schedules 😉

happygu
9th November 2016, 02:15 PM
the reason we travel solo , i hate schedules 😉

We are alike .... :smiley_thumbs_up:

Maxhead
9th November 2016, 04:53 PM
Another reason I don't like to plan is that you will meet so many travelers and grey nomads on the road who will give you ideas of places to check out. We found some really amazing places which we would have missed if we stuck to a plan.
Anyway you will have a ball and good on ya for taking the plunge.

Just remember it is very addictive and you most probably will not want to come back. If that's the case sell everything and keep going :)

BigRAWesty
10th November 2016, 08:59 AM

Just looked these up.
We've dropped onnadatta from this trip mate.
Bitumen to Ularu via Glendambo, Coober Pedy and Marla

threedogs
10th November 2016, 09:20 AM
Ive never travelled to a plan as so many things can change, stopping for a bit of fishing may turn into
2-3 days of trophy fish. A simple walk to some waterfalls may lead to more days exploring the area.
Throw the alarm clock away youre on holidays arent you, Just go and most of all enjoy, Uluru is very expensive
you used to be able to get PPLs passes at the servo at the turn off as the 4 day pass was too long for some.
They may have knocked that on the head, others may know more, sounds like a great trip lol

BigRAWesty
10th November 2016, 11:22 AM
Ive never travelled to a plan as so many things can change, stopping for a bit of fishing may turn into
2-3 days of trophy fish. A simple walk to some waterfalls may lead to more days exploring the area.
Throw the alarm clock away youre on holidays arent you, Just go and most of all enjoy, Ularu is very expensive
you used to be able to get PPLs passes at the servo at the turn off as the 4 day pass was too long for some.
They may have knocked that on the head, others may know more, sounds like a great trip lol
Ey TD good to see you about again.
Yea I'd love to do a unplanned trip, but this one needs some guidelines with work commitments and school..
Later on we'll just set off with no plans.

Cuppa
10th November 2016, 01:32 PM
5 weeks is plenty of time to 'hang loose'. When are you going?
Welcome back TD.

Dannyboyz
10th November 2016, 03:11 PM
Hey Westy I have a couple of apps for you that are pricless.

First one is Wikicamps. It looks like google maps but with every thing from roadside camps, to bush camp sites, to caravan parks. It has so much information about each different one. Also has a comments section for more info.

Second app is called Fuel map by wikicamps.
This one tells you what the fuel price and brand is at any servo you will come across. It relies on people updating the price when they are there so in more remote areas it is not quite as good but will still give you an idea. An example would be to seach Glendamo. It will say BP $1.57.9 2 days ago. Saved us a bit of money when we went to uluru. Big roadhouse at Urldundra which is the turn off to Uluru was 2 bucks a litre but little roadhouse 50ks further down the road was 1.60. It also has a cool feature which you put in your details when you fill up and it calculates your economy, averages and totals for your liters and dollers.

FYI mate we did 6,500kms, averaged 17/100 and spent $1400 on fuel.
Hope this helps a bit mate

BigRAWesty
10th November 2016, 08:02 PM
5 weeks is plenty of time to 'hang loose'. When are you going?
Welcome back TD.
End of June and all of July.

Hey Westy I have a couple of apps for you that are pricless.

First one is Wikicamps. It looks like google maps but with every thing from roadside camps, to bush camp sites, to caravan parks. It has so much information about each different one. Also has a comments section for more info.

Second app is called Fuel map by wikicamps.
This one tells you what the fuel price and brand is at any servo you will come across. It relies on people updating the price when they are there so in more remote areas it is not quite as good but will still give you an idea. An example would be to seach Glendamo. It will say BP $1.57.9 2 days ago. Saved us a bit of money when we went to uluru. Big roadhouse at Urldundra which is the turn off to Uluru was 2 bucks a litre but little roadhouse 50ks further down the road was 1.60. It also has a cool feature which you put in your details when you fill up and it calculates your economy, averages and totals for your liters and dollers.

FYI mate we did 6,500kms, averaged 17/100 and spent $1400 on fuel.
Hope this helps a bit mate
All over those apps Danny.
Been using fuel app for a while now..
Both awesome..

Dannyboyz
10th November 2016, 09:36 PM
Ah yeah. Probably should have asked if you knew of them before writing that novel. Ha ha. Ah well. Might be news to someone else who reads it. The wife and I stayed at uluru 4 nights and that was plenty. Keep in the back of your head that the pass into the park itself you only have 2 options. 3 days or 12 months. It was 25 per adult for the 3 day or 40 for the 12 month I think. Cant remember how much kids were as we left ours at home :-) Definitely allow a full day for the olgers. Out there for the sunrise. Do the valley of the winds walk if your feeling fit ( well worth it ) That leaves you with 2 more days for Uluru which was plenty for us. We then did 2 nights at kings canyon which was absolutely amazing. Cant recomend it enough. We were there start of july this year and the weather was just spectacular so you have picked a great time to go IMO. Thats as far north as i can help you mate as we started home towards the kids after that. All i can say is its a shame you have had to cut out the oodnadatta tk. But it is time consuming so best left for when the time allows. I plan on going back up to go look at things we had to drive past because we didnt allow enough time.

BigRAWesty
11th November 2016, 08:08 AM
Ah yeah. Probably should have asked if you knew of them before writing that novel. Ha ha. Ah well. Might be news to someone else who reads it. The wife and I stayed at uluru 4 nights and that was plenty. Keep in the back of your head that the pass into the park itself you only have 2 options. 3 days or 12 months. It was 25 per adult for the 3 day or 40 for the 12 month I think. Cant remember how much kids were as we left ours at home :-) Definitely allow a full day for the olgers. Out there for the sunrise. Do the valley of the winds walk if your feeling fit ( well worth it ) That leaves you with 2 more days for Uluru which was plenty for us. We then did 2 nights at kings canyon which was absolutely amazing. Cant recomend it enough. We were there start of july this year and the weather was just spectacular so you have picked a great time to go IMO. Thats as far north as i can help you mate as we started home towards the kids after that. All i can say is its a shame you have had to cut out the oodnadatta tk. But it is time consuming so best left for when the time allows. I plan on going back up to go look at things we had to drive past because we didnt allow enough time.

All good mate. Hopefully it does help someone..
Planning 3 nights at Ularu and one along kings somewhere.
We'll have my Olds with us for this bit so should be able to ditch the kids with them for a few hours to check out valley of the winds..

Yea I was a bit against cutting Oodnadatta track aswell but they have just redone the maree man so might plan to do that in the next couple of years as a 2 week dedicated trip.

BigRAWesty
7th June 2017, 04:10 PM
So for those who care this is still happening..
2 weeks time we are off..
Its getting real now.
Unfortunately things havent gone to plan and some unexpected expenses have eaten into our back up..
But owell.
Thats life..
We will hit darwin..
Might just have to work a few nights on the corner yo get home... 🤣

Avo
7th June 2017, 04:25 PM
Its getting real now.
Unfortunately things havent gone to plan and some unexpected expenses have eaten into our back up..
But owell.
Thats life..
We will hit darwin..

yoiu woin't earn a dime standing on a corner mate,we've seen your pics....

BigRAWesty
7th June 2017, 05:24 PM
yoiu woin't earn a dime standing on a corner mate,we've seen your pics....
Yea i play the pitty card..

happygu
7th June 2017, 06:35 PM
Its getting real now.
But owell.
Thats life..
We will hit darwin..

Just turn it off, and coast down the hills:smiley_thumbs_up:

BigRAWesty
15th June 2017, 08:22 PM
5 more sleeps

Maxhead
15th June 2017, 08:29 PM
5 more sleeps

Enjoy mate, I'll give you two days and you won't want to come back!
Relax and take it all in mate

Btw. Best experience for the kids as well, who need school[emoji3]

................on the road

BigRAWesty
15th June 2017, 08:34 PM

Cheers mate. Unfortunately been a stressful week.
Had a varicose vein rupture friday lol..
Fkn timing ey..
Anyway long story short its a work cover cas thats been dragging on since march last year and its gotten worse..
Anywho..
On the brighter side..
If had an extra week prepping lol

Plasnart
15th June 2017, 09:14 PM

I agree. I still have great memories of our 2 month trip when I was a kid in 1983 when the old man took long service leave. At the time my parents insisted my sister and I keep a daily diary which we hated doing at the time, but now I'm 44 I still have it up on the book shelf and still pull it down for a read from time to time. Glad they made us do that now. Brilliant memories and a landmark family trip no doubt.

Have a great trip Westy!

BigRAWesty
15th June 2017, 09:55 PM
I agree. I still have great memories of our 2 month trip when I was a kid in 1983 when the old man took long service leave. At the time my parents insisted my sister and I keep a daily diary which we hated doing at the time, but now I'm 44 I still have it up on the book shelf and still pull it down for a read from time to time. Glad they made us do that now. Brilliant memories and a landmark family trip no doubt.

Have a great trip Westy!
Our girls have a diary each and so does the wife..http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/06/154.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/06/155.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/06/156.jpg

Plasnart
15th June 2017, 10:11 PM
Our girls have a diary each and so does the wife..http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/06/154.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/06/155.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/06/156.jpg

Sensational! They will be very special books for your girls in years to come!

BigRAWesty
15th June 2017, 10:15 PM
Sensational! They will be very special books for your girls in years to come!
Thats the wifes book.
Shes got skills ey..
Apart from the van pics, that's all hand drawn

TPC
15th June 2017, 10:30 PM
I am very jealous, totally fed up with the cold and we are only 15 days into winter.
Make sure Nissa keeps the diary up to date so you can use it for a trip report on here.

BigRAWesty
15th June 2017, 10:35 PM
I am very jealous, totally fed up with the cold and we are only 15 days into winter.
Make sure Nissa keeps the diary up to date so you can use it for a trip report on here.
Haha..
Yea keen to boycott this cold..
But its been bloody sunny this year..
Ill be doing a video blog too.
Go pro on hand

Avo
15th June 2017, 11:19 PM
yeaqh i reckon you'd be a good couight....have fun numnuts

BigRAWesty
16th June 2017, 07:45 AM
yeaqh i reckon you'd be a good couight....have fun numnuts
Haha.
You never know

happygu
16th June 2017, 09:08 AM
I think you definitely have time for Chambers Pillar and Rainbow Valley ...... gotta rewrite the book cover

BigRAWesty
16th June 2017, 07:10 PM
I think you definitely have time for Chambers Pillar and Rainbow Valley ...... gotta rewrite the book cover
Haha yea well.
This trip is all about up north..
Everything around alice, macdonald ranges etc is a 2 week trip for us from mt gambier..

happygu
16th June 2017, 11:00 PM
Haha yea well.
This trip is all about up north..
Everything around alice, macdonald ranges etc is a 2 week trip for us from mt gambier..

OK - I get it .... make sure you spend plenty of time in the Bungle Bungles then as I think you will end up having time and you will love it .... I would even re-think about adding the Kimberley into this trip then, and skip some of the lower Terriitory hot spots ... just a brief taste

As you have 5 weeks, that will be plenty of time to add a taste of the Kimberley into your trip, and there are some magnificent spots to see and camp.

My rough plan for a trip like this would be:
Five days to Katherine .... 4 Days in Litchfield .... 4 Days in Kakadu .... Edith Falls, Berri Springs, Howard Hot Springs 1 day each ... 1 in Darwin .... 10 Days in the Kimberley ....2 Days in the Bungles ... 2 on the Tanami ... 2 around Uluru and Kings Canyon, then home

BigRAWesty
16th June 2017, 11:34 PM
OK - I get it .... make sure you spend plenty of time in the Bungle Bungles then as I think you will end up having time and you will love it .... I would even re-think about adding the Kimberley into this trip then, and skip some of the lower Terriitory hot spots ... just a brief taste

As you have 5 weeks, that will be plenty of time to add a taste of the Kimberley into your trip, and there are some magnificent spots to see and camp.

My rough plan for a trip like this would be:
Five days to Katherine .... 4 Days in Litchfield .... 4 Days in Kakadu .... Edith Falls, Berri Springs, Howard Hot Springs 1 day each ... 1 in Darwin .... 10 Days in the Kimberley ....2 Days in the Bungles ... 2 on the Tanami ... 2 around Uluru and Kings Canyon, then home
The Kimberly is just to far north west for us this trip.
Were dropping into lake arygle after the tanami for a few days as its a must do for the wife.
But also with the kids being young we want a more staggered trip..
When the kids are a bit older we can push more of a touring trip but this one is more a setup and explore style trip.
Thus wht uts 3 nights at uluru and ulgas.
3 nights on tge tanami
3 niggts at arygle
And then the rest is as we see fit..
Are planning a few nights in darwin though to see the city and the markets..
Got plenty of time to see aus..
Im half way to long service so when that hits ill have a lot of time up my sleves...

TPC
16th June 2017, 11:48 PM
The Kimberly is just to far north west for us this trip.
Were dropping into lake arygle after the tanami for a few days as its a must do for the wife.
But also with the kids being young we want a more staggered trip..
When the kids are a bit older we can push more of a touring trip but this one is more a setup and explore style trip.
Thus wht uts 3 nights at uluru and ulgas.
3 nights on tge tanami
3 niggts at arygle
And then the rest is as we see fit..
Are planning a few nights in darwin though to see the city and the markets..
Got plenty of time to see aus..
Im half way to long service so when that hits ill have a lot of time up my sleves...

My opinion, you would be better off skipping Lake Argyle and going to Bungle Bungle instead, that was one of the hilights of our trip and you are going past it.

BigRAWesty
16th June 2017, 11:50 PM
My opinion, you would be better off skipping Lake Argyle and going to Bungle Bungle instead, that was one of the hilights of our trip and you are going past it.
Maybe dropping into the bungles..
Maybe.
It really is an open trip.
Unfortunately still have a time frame..

happygu
17th June 2017, 12:07 AM
Lake Argyle is just that ... a lake, of which standing on the bank and looking out means you don't see that much. Yes, there are some nice things to see and do around Kununurra itself so you can spend three days there easily enough, but it all depends on whether the girls will like walking around, as some of the highlight spots involve a bit of shanks ponying to get amongst it.

The Bungles is different ... still a lot of walking to do to totally experience it, but it is totally different to anything else you will see around, and some of the walking is at least done in the shade which makes a big difference in the heat.

BigRAWesty
18th June 2017, 06:38 PM
So anyone else stress out before trips like this..
Everything i do im questioning is it needed?
Were is it needed and how often.
Will it survive there..
Ive got the roof bag on with blow moulded table, portable solar pannels and eunsuit tents on top.
Foam mats are wet so once they dry will be in there too..
Reason being these buts will onky be needed on extended stays..
Im now thinking i should have mounted my pannel up front of the rack and had it connected to the second battery at all times..
To late now..
We've pushed D day foward to tuesday now..
So well take the south road into uluru..

BigRAWesty
18th June 2017, 06:39 PM
AB Clunk Avo
Its been a while..............http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/06/186.jpg
TPC i finally got a meassure for you.
Its smack in 2m to the top of the rack

Avo
18th June 2017, 07:52 PM
Will it survive there..
Ive got the roof bag on with blow moulded table, portable solar pannels and eunsuit tents on top.
Im now thinking i should have mounted my pannel up front of the rack and had it connected to the second battery at all times..
To late now..

NO.....as long as everything is serviced you shouldn't have to much to worry about,maybe a flat or a bearing but we can be prepared for that...we do big km every year to see my daughter,sometimes up to 10000 km round trip depending on way home....sometimes the hardest thing is hoping the track you are taking is the one you are meant to be....

Avo
18th June 2017, 07:54 PM
AB Clunk Avo
Its been a while..............http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/06/186.jpg
TPC i finally got a meassure for you.
Its smack in 2m to the top of the rack

is that a REDBACK ROOFTOP BAG @AB

BigRAWesty
19th June 2017, 08:37 AM
NO.....as long as everything is serviced you shouldn't have to much to worry about,maybe a flat or a bearing but we can be prepared for that...we do big km every year to see my daughter,sometimes up to 10000 km round trip depending on way home....sometimes the hardest thing is hoping the track you are taking is the one you are meant to be....
Not even the first time??
This is the longest trip by far that we've done in time and distance.
Previous to this its only 14 days in the old gq and tent and 2200km doing the gawler ranges in the gu..

happygu
19th June 2017, 10:18 AM
Will it survive there..
To late now..

Time to hook up the camper and go ... it will all be good. You WILL have a great time.

What's done is done, and what isn't doesn't matter ..... as you travel you will find out what you REALLY need, and what you can do without.

As for the solar panel, if you are sitting for a day or so, then connect up the panel, but if you are like us, you end up doing something most days anyway, so the solar panel just becomes a backup, and rarely gets used.

BigRAWesty
19th June 2017, 01:38 PM
Time to hook up the camper and go ... it will all be good. You WILL have a great time.

What's done is done, and what isn't doesn't matter ..... as you travel you will find out what you REALLY need, and what you can do without.

As for the solar panel, if you are sitting for a day or so, then connect up the panel, but if you are like us, you end up doing something most days anyway, so the solar panel just becomes a backup, and rarely gets used.
Thats all the solar is but the weaco is running as a freezer so is pulling 17-22 amp a day..

BigRAWesty
21st June 2017, 01:05 PM
Well first day done.
Made the overland corner.
Stopped in on relies at pinnaroo to find the fridge contents sprawled over the floor, clup vibrated off...
So another stop in on a canvas worker to have a tauno cover occy strap put the fridge and door so its solid as now.
But dam what a vista this morning..

Now in berry..
Decided last night to do the oodnadatta track up to oodnadatta and across to marla then doung the mulga park track into uluru..
Thatll fill 4 days...http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/06/208.jpg

happygu
21st June 2017, 01:35 PM
Awesome .... good to see you are on your way.

Nice pic, and good to see you are going to do the Oodnadatta ... much better to do this on the way up when you have the time, and then have the highway option for the way home when you just don't want to come back :D

Rossco
21st June 2017, 02:16 PM
Awesome Kalen & Co. Have an awsome trip very jelly, must be nice heading to sum warmth and awesome country . . .

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

gaddy
21st June 2017, 05:22 PM
Keep the photos coming ! We will be up the oddnadatta in a couple of months 😊 we have allowed 2 weeks for the track !

MB
21st June 2017, 07:41 PM
Safe travels Kallen & Nissa, like others have said, keep those pictures rolling in for us mates :-) !

BigRAWesty
24th June 2017, 05:15 PM
Hey guys. Cheers foe the good praises..
Fingers crossed its smooth sailing from here because Oodnadatta was anything but..
First up wife wiped out a side mirror on a shrub she wasnt watching.
Nice dents down the side of the car..
And the van lol..
She did it right thats for sure..

And then when pulled up for the night at the Peak Ruins ive noticed the hand brake level missing.. wow what a hit..
But no..
What's happened is the backing plate mounts have sheared the welds and started spinning on the axle and have wrapped the cable around the axle before it snapped..
Dam..
But first i have to repair the tyre..
Luck would have it that i have pulled up with a buldge showing on the top.. ffs..
So out with the air jack wife bought me as a christmas pressy..
Yep air jack. It has a pump!!!
Start pumping..
Cars not even off the ground and bang the pump blows apart!!!!!!!!!!
Ffs..
Out with the wind jack..
Cant find the long rod!!!!!!!
So under the car and winding it with just the handle.. using the annex ad a mat!!
We got there...

So limp into Oodnadatta for a welder.
Nup its broken. Bugger..
Tie up the hubs to try and stop them rotating and limp into Marla.
Local mechanic is shut.. fark.
Drive past a nice big open workshop i though i have to ask..
Knock on the door and an old lady comes out.
Turns out her husband is a concreter and is away west on a job.
I mentioned im a welder and that eased her nerves a little, we talked a price and then she showed me the workshop and let me loose....
Hurray.
So hubs are re welded and now welded on all 4 sides and hopefully we can repair the electrical over the next few days between sight seeing here at uluru..
I have also noticed this arvo one tyre is scrubbing on the van..
It was scrubbed a bit when i bought it but ill have to keep an eye on it.
Hopefully i havent bent the axle as we did get air once on the track.
A cattle grid completely caught me off gaurd amd shit we hit hard..
Its the kitchen side wheel so a lot more weight in it..

So 1/4 travelled and what a trip..
Thank fark we have an emergency account..
We're gunna need it..

Pics are as followed
Tyre issue..
The war memorial is Farina.
Then peak ruins.
And then Agnes Creek
And then the main event..http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/06/248.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/06/249.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/06/250.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/06/251.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/06/252.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/06/253.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/06/254.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/06/255.jpg

Cuppa
24th June 2017, 07:07 PM
An eventful time & only 3 days into it, that’ll be worth a story or two in years to come!

Mate, you may not listen ............ but I’ll say it anyway .............SLOW DOWN! You are racing though gods own country & giving your car, your camper & yourselves a hard time. Now you’re at one of the countries most spectacular & special places & you’re having to think about fixing stuff. I’m sure that’s not where you want your head to be at. You’ve dreamt of this for ages & I’ll hazard a guess that a series of repairs were not part of that dream. You have plenty of time, it’s not a race - 3 days from home to Uluru via the Oodnadatta ... Phew! You missed the cattle grid, caught the bushes , got air .........

The journey is the destination.

BigRAWesty
24th June 2017, 09:08 PM
An eventful time & only 3 days into it, that’ll be worth a story or two in years to come!

Mate, you may not listen ............ but I’ll say it anyway .............SLOW DOWN! You are racing though gods own country & giving your car, your camper & yourselves a hard time. Now you’re at one of the countries most spectacular & special places & you’re having to think about fixing stuff. I’m sure that’s not where you want your head to be at. You’ve dreamt of this for ages & I’ll hazard a guess that a series of repairs were not part of that dream. You have plenty of time, it’s not a race - 3 days from home to Uluru via the Oodnadatta ... Phew! You missed the cattle grid, caught the bushes , got air .........

The journey is the destination.

Yea i wish we didnt do oodnadatta but im sorta glad we did as its exposed some issues i need to cover before doing the tanami.
Ive limped threw Oodnadatta but you cant limp the tanami..
We still enjoyed the tracks.
Very much so.. some absolutely awesome spots and some great spots to bank for next time..
The peak ruins next time will be a full day to truly take in the old town ship and mine..

But your right. I am foward thinking repairs.
My brother is raa so is kitted out here with us so we will repair slowly over the next few days.
Axle is another issue but will watch the tyre as it was scrubbed when i bought it..

Unfortunately its coming in as rain monday and over this arvo and tomorrow are overcast so the sunset views will be shot (we'll still venture out there for it though), but hopefully on the flip side we see a rearer event. Waterfalls off the great rock....

Anyway.
We will rebuild..
Also this is 5th night.

TPC
24th June 2017, 09:21 PM
Where are you staying along the Tanami?

BigRAWesty
24th June 2017, 09:33 PM
Where are you staying along the Tanami?
No idea.
But id like to say wolf creek

TPC
24th June 2017, 09:41 PM
You would not want to drive through to Wolfe Creek in a day, we stayed at Renahans Bore and then Wolfe Creek.

Plasnart
24th June 2017, 10:27 PM
Just going to put an opinion out here which is something I would do if I was on such a landmark family trip as you Westy. Can I just say, write a trip report when you get home and ditch the running updates while you're on your travels? Everyone here is hoping and wishing you have the best trip of your life and can't wait to hear all about it, but everyone also has an opinion, a suggestion, a comment, and these may differ from yours. If you constantly feed back during your trip you're going to get constant comments and suggestions (well intentioned of course). But this is your trip so live it and ride it!. Enjoy the brilliant places you go. Enjoy your family. Ensure you and your family are making the decisions. Deal with the problems and mistakes you will make (which I most certainly have also made). Enjoy your wins with your family, and solve your problems as they crop up. Don't live it online, live it with your family. I think that's what it's all about, and that's what makes bloody fantastic memories. I'm not having a go at anyone feeding back to you here (has actually been good advice), but personally that's what I would do. Forget the outside world just for a little bit. Your trip, your decisions, your rules, your responsibility and your family's life-long memories, good and bad.

Have a cracker mate!

Cuppa
24th June 2017, 10:37 PM
Yep, you’re right Plassy.
Safe travels Kallen.

Plasnart
5th August 2017, 06:38 PM
OK westy youve been back a while now. Looking forward to hearing all about your trip mate! :)

BigRAWesty
5th August 2017, 11:36 PM
OK westy youve been back a while now. Looking forward to hearing all about your trip mate! :)Same here bloke.
Unfortunately ive been flat out dealing with WC and am currently not allowed back to work..
So been sorting the BS.
Ill get around to it though. I still havent even looked at the video footage..

mudski
5th August 2017, 11:38 PM
Hurry up! I wanna see your trip pics and vids.

BigRAWesty
6th August 2017, 12:01 AM
Hurry up! I wanna see your trip pics and vids.Have you not been on fb??

Clunk
6th August 2017, 12:10 AM
Have you not been on fb??Not much use for those on here not in FB ;)

BigRAWesty
6th August 2017, 12:15 AM
Not much use for those on here not in FB ;)I also have to try recover a week of photos as my card decided to curupt, and pics are gone from phone..

Clunk
6th August 2017, 12:28 AM
I also have to try recover a week of photos as my card decided to curupt, and pics are gone from phone..Best get crackin then hey? Lol

mudski
6th August 2017, 12:48 AM
Have you not been on fb??

I haven't been on anything much lately. Got a job now with Nic and the hours are really off tap and I pretty much just flake it from exhaustion when I get home.

BigRAWesty
6th August 2017, 12:56 AM
I haven't been on anything much lately. Got a job now with Nic and the hours are really off tap and I pretty much just flake it from exhaustion when I get home.Fair enough mate.
Yea well will soon enough.
Cuppa if gunna flip once he reads the damage report..
Broken backing plates..
Ow it gets worse..

rusty_nail
6th August 2017, 08:08 AM
I haven't been on anything much lately. Got a job now with Nic and the hours are really off tap and I pretty much just flake it from exhaustion when I get home.Hahaha come on mate I'm not working you that hard!!

Sent from my BV7000 Pro using Tapatalk

TPC
6th August 2017, 09:21 AM
Did you end up doing the Tanami and get into Wolfe Creek?

We need a trip report mate, its what keeps us going while we are not on trips ourselves.

MudRunnerTD
6th August 2017, 11:26 AM
Nothing to see here...............@kallen!!! Sort this out fella! You had a Cracka!!

Cuppa
6th August 2017, 03:21 PM
Cuppa if gunna flip once he reads the damage report..
Broken backing plates..
Ow it gets worse..

Flip me flip me! Warts n all. :) It’s all part of the journey.

Hey we all learn one way or another.

So far our ‘damage’ has been limited:- Part of the drawer runners for the Tvan kitchen has disintegrated making putting it away a matter of brute force, discovering that the need to brush away all dust build up around the seals of the Tvan’s side storage & kitchen doors EVERY time we open them as failure to do can result in the door refusing to open a second time without risk of permanent damage, but the prize goes to my taking chunks our of the tow bar by having the DO35 hitch upside down. Boy did I feel stupid when telling someone about the ridiculously limited sideways articulation only to be told I had the thing upside down. It got worse when we flipped it over to discover a sticker saying ‘Top’.