PDA

View Full Version : help me fix my damn horn

crash520
17th April 2011, 06:06 PM
Team,

i got a problem with my horn!!!! it looses earth and doesnt beep when the wheel is straight ahead!!
any idea's how to fix it!!!
oh, and if you see a GU ute swerving down the road its just me try to beep my horn cause it works great either side of center.

Greg

timbar
17th April 2011, 06:09 PM
must be an earth in the steering wheel is it factory or sports ??

Bigrig
17th April 2011, 06:17 PM
Hmmm .... I could be wrong, but if it was bad earth in the wheel itself, wouldn't the horn be getting a positive feed only and hence be on all the time??

timbar
17th April 2011, 06:21 PM
in my past experiance the steering column is an earth trigger for the horn and the horn itself is constantly powered and just needs the earth triger from the steering wheel and column

Patrolute4x4
17th April 2011, 06:28 PM
thanx for the post

crash520
17th April 2011, 08:04 PM
Guys
the copper/brass rub ring just under the wheel is powered all the time, so, the power supply to the horn relay is constantly on and earths when the button is pressed through the steering column. To keep the earth contant it requires metal to metal contact through bearings adn bush's etc, the issue i'm having is there must be some wear or loosness in those bearings adn bush's causing a very minor break in contact when driving staight ahead! thus causeing my horn to fail.
I guess I could try to attach an earth cable from the steering inner shaft in the engine bay with say a hose clamp to the body, problem is i gotta turn the steering wheel so the suprlus cable will have to flap around and not catch it's self etc.

Greg

Finly Owner
17th April 2011, 09:51 PM
Team,

i got a problem with my horn!!!! it looses earth and doesnt beep when the wheel is straight ahead!!
oh, and if you see a GU ute swerving down the road its just me try to beep my horn cause it works great either side of center.

GregI thought that's how Ipswich drivers were. LOL

Tim

molongmick
17th April 2011, 10:40 PM
I thought that's how Ipswich drivers were. LOL

Tim

Isn't that just all Qld drivers?

YNOT
18th April 2011, 06:37 AM
I thought that's how Ipswich drivers were. LOL

Tim

You'll upset Mayor Paul saying things like that, he's very proud of his town!

Tony

YNOT
18th April 2011, 06:39 AM
Isn't that just all Qld drivers?

We're aiming for cane toads so it's justified!

Tony

YNOT
18th April 2011, 06:42 AM
Team,

Greg

I would be removing the steering wheel and checking the horn ring and contact for wear.

Tony