PDA

View Full Version : 1988 GQ Safari - Rear diff locks automatically when you engage 4wd

smallisbeautiful
17th April 2011, 04:32 PM
I just bought a GQ Jap import safari. When I put it into 4wd the rear diff locks up automatically. There is no vacuum actuator on the diff housing and no diff button in the interior like my other GQ had. The rear diff unlocks upon reengaging 2wd. It has no aftermarket diff locks installed.

I want to be able to isolate this from happening as I dont want it always locked in 4wd - any ideas?

timbar
17th April 2011, 04:39 PM
GDay welcome to the forum the best way to get an answer on this forum is to first Introduce yourself in the Introductions section then put yours post up and some one will be along to help with your problem !!

Timbar

YNOT
17th April 2011, 04:41 PM
Welcome to the forum, it's always nice to post an introduction before asking questions.

Are you sure you are feeling is not just normal 4WD wind up?

Tony

Clunk
17th April 2011, 04:43 PM
g'day mate, welcome aboard the forum

smallisbeautiful
17th April 2011, 04:46 PM
Cheers, sorry re the intros,
no not just wind up, well and truly locked...
Peter

timbar
17th April 2011, 04:50 PM
is it all the time or only when changing 4wd to 2wd ?

smallisbeautiful
17th April 2011, 04:55 PM
Unlocked in 2wd, locks when I put it in 4wd.
It is the auto front hubs, sway bar disconnect, pto winch version.

YNOT
17th April 2011, 05:27 PM
For the diff to manually lock (an automatic diff lock will not know whether it's in 2wd or 4wd) would require either an air line, vac hose or electrical cable going into the diff centre to operate the locker. What hoses/cables are going to your diff?

Tony

HippoNZ
17th April 2011, 05:30 PM
For the diff to manually lock (an automatic diff lock will not know whether it's in 2wd or 4wd) would require either an air line, vac hose or electrical cable going into the diff centre to operate the locker. What hoses/cables are going to your diff?

Tony
If it helps I'm pretty sure those ones are electric

YNOT
17th April 2011, 05:52 PM
If it helps I'm pretty sure those ones are electric

As far as I know all factory GQ lockers were vacuum operated.

Tony

HippoNZ
17th April 2011, 05:58 PM
As far as I know all factory GQ lockers were vacuum operated.

Tony

I stand corrected lol