PDA

View Full Version : My GU Wagon

Craigo4655
20th June 2016, 08:55 PM
This time last year I picked up my Manual 2005 ST-L with 189k on the clock paying only $17950 at a yard in Brisbane. Got it home to realise it'd need a whole new set of rubber (Old Conti's, Oddly sized on 18's... ewww). First though was tint, followed by the roof tray, Kings 2x3m Awning, uhf, Pioneer DVD and STEDI Light Bar. Finally getting around to tyres I had considered the Dynamic steel 16x8s but ended up repainting a set of the factory GU 16x8 wheels with Rolls Royce 'Guntmetal 2' that nicely set off the darker tone the car had taken. I got a good deal on the Hercules Terra Trac 2s off a local tyre retailer (With a 100,000km tready warranty.... 5x for $1300.00). I was finally set to comfortably go off road. Suspension wise the previous owner has taken a shortcut with 2" spring blocks and a set of Raw Nitro shocks in the rear. That will all go shortly in favour of a 2" spring/3" shock combo and finally I recently added the Ridge Ryder 12000lb dyneema winch and tested out blackening the Alloy Bar with Custom Wrap before permanently coating it with Linex or Duplicolor Bed Armour.

Further plans include cargo barrier, drawers, fridge, tent, solar, all the usual touring kit.

Cheers 🤘🤘

Touses
21st June 2016, 07:39 AM
Good looking unit. Seems you have the right idea on mods!

BigRAWesty
21st June 2016, 08:08 AM
The wrap looks good on the bar..
Very neat so far..
What engine are you running mate?

threedogs
21st June 2016, 08:36 AM
X 2 on the mods coming along very nice.

Can I suggest that piece of Dyneema poking out the
front be covered in some convoluted tubing to stop
it being sand blasted from road grit........

Craigo4655
21st June 2016, 11:05 AM
Good looking unit. Seems you have the right idea on mods!

Cheers Touses!!

Craigo4655
21st June 2016, 11:12 AM
The wrap looks good on the bar..
Very neat so far..
What engine are you running mate?

If I could get the Linex applied to the bar, itd give it some extra strength along with the look. Running the ZD30DDTi, I was disappointed with it when I got it but the S&B Filter and Dominator 3 Inch has made a massive difference!! Although Im seeing my boost drop off and egt rise to 400+ at 100km/hr so I think Ill have to go the Dawes and Meedle valve setup.

BigRAWesty
21st June 2016, 11:42 AM
If I could get the Linex applied to the bar, itd give it some extra strength along with the look. Running the ZD30DDTi, I was disappointed with it when I got it but the S&B Filter and Dominator 3 Inch has made a massive difference!! Although Im seeing my boost drop off and egt rise to 400+ at 100km/hr so I think Ill have to go the Dawes and Meedle valve setup.
Are you experiencing over boosting on the highway while cruzing after the exhaust?

Craigo4655
21st June 2016, 01:11 PM
I believe so yeah, Ive got to weld the port in for a boost guage yet but based off throttle feel and how quickly the egr spikes Im thinking so....

BigRAWesty
21st June 2016, 01:12 PM
I have the same issue..
Tillix valve will be on its way soon..

Craigo4655
21st June 2016, 01:24 PM
I have the same issue..
Tillix valve will be on its way soon..

Tillex Valve? Cant say Ive heard of em

BigRAWesty
21st June 2016, 01:29 PM
Tillex Valve? Cant say Ive heard of em
Like the dawes valve just imo a better design.
Also been talking to a few crd owners and they have no issues with just the tillix / dawes valve.. no needle needed is the word..
I'll see how true that is..

mudski
21st June 2016, 03:50 PM
Like the dawes valve just imo a better design.
Also been talking to a few crd owners and they have no issues with just the tillix / dawes valve.. no needle needed is the word..
I'll see how true that is..
Usually you will find the issues they are having is due to incorrect adjustment.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk

BigRAWesty
21st June 2016, 06:00 PM
Usually you will find the issues they are having is due to incorrect adjustment.

Yea that's a major part of most issues..
But the tillix is formed like a pin head. So more of a smoother and gradual increase of flow compared to the ball of the dawes..
Also tillix imo have rid the chance of the slug moving up into the spring as some have experienced over time with the dawes..

mudski
21st June 2016, 09:02 PM
Yea that's a major part of most issues..
But the tillix is formed like a pin head. So more of a smoother and gradual increase of flow compared to the ball of the dawes..
Also tillix imo have rid the chance of the slug moving up into the spring as some have experienced over time with the dawes..
Has someone done a flow test on the two valves?
To the op. Have you used the winch? Ridge Rider are from Supercheap arent they? Wondering what they are like.

BigRAWesty
21st June 2016, 09:12 PM
To the op. Have you used the winch? Ridge Rider are from Supercheap arent they? Wondering what they are like.
Dunno..
I have read the tillix has bigger internals..
But it's more the design which I like.

Craigo4655
21st June 2016, 09:58 PM

Ill do a little reasearch on these Tillix valves.... Interested to see a flow/running comparison.

I havent used my winch yet, and hope not to too often lol but I'll be completely honest. Ive sold them for 7 years here in my home town and only ever have I seen 2 problems. The first was in a unit 3 revisions ago who snapped the internal part of the mechanism which allows you to engage and disengage the clutch releasing the clutch under load. The second was where the pins in the plug socket corroded out of the Solenoid Box. I was looking a few weeks back and weve sold over 150 9500lb and 223 12000lbs in that same period....... with that being said I chose mine over a Dominator or Grande because of those numbers..... Youll find the Ridge Ryder Recovery range to be on par and comparable to most gear similarly priced on the market. And if you've a good relationship with your local Store you'll be well looked after being a house brand too.

Craigo4655
21st June 2016, 09:59 PM
Mudski is the poor adjustment you speak of Adjustment on the Dawes and Needle setups or that 1/4 turn job on the turbo?

BigRAWesty
22nd June 2016, 06:07 AM
Mudski is the poor adjustment you speak of Adjustment on the Dawes and Needle setups or that 1/4 turn job on the turbo?
I'd say he means the dawes adjustment as most people diy it..
Imo never touch the limit screw on the vnt unless you 200% know what you are doing..

Craigo4655
22nd June 2016, 07:12 AM
I'd say he means the dawes adjustment as most people diy it..
Imo never touch the limit screw on the vnt unless you 200% know what you are doing..

Yeah x2 on the limit screw

mudski
24th June 2016, 09:11 AM
Yeah what Kallen said. Never play with the rod adjustment unless you know what your doing.

Craigo4655
24th June 2016, 09:54 AM
Yeah what Kallen said. Never play with the rod adjustment unless you know what your doing.

Thats easy sorted then as I dont :smileyvault-cute-bi. Cheers

threedogs
24th June 2016, 11:16 AM
I believe so yeah, Ive got to weld the port in for a boost guage yet but based off throttle feel and how quickly the egr spikes Im thinking so....

Save you welding in a port and at this price you cant go wrong

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/331875396276?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

BigRAWesty
24th June 2016, 01:04 PM
Save you welding in a port and at this price you cant go wrong

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/331875396276?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
That's regular price

threedogs
24th June 2016, 01:29 PM
That's regular price

My one cost me $50 normally they are $60plus so being $25
someone has come to there senses, Make the job you want to do
very neat IMO Id like to see the brass barb as an elbow facing
the turbo, but thats just me

BigRAWesty
24th June 2016, 01:31 PM
My one cost me $50 normally they are $60plus so being $25
someone has come to there senses, Make the job you want to do
very neat IMO Id like to see the brass barb as an elbow facing
the turbo, but thats just me
Yea right..
Supply and demand maybe..
$30 has been the going rate for the last month or so.
Been looking.
I have a nice spot just to the side of my crd intercooler so I'm going to drill and tap into there..

mudski
24th June 2016, 01:34 PM
Yea right..
Supply and demand maybe..
$30 has been the going rate for the last month or so.
Been looking.
I have a nice spot just to the side of my crd intercooler so I'm going to drill and tap into there..
Yeah wow. Last time i looked they were around 70.

threedogs
24th June 2016, 02:10 PM
Yeah wow. Last time i looked they were around 70.

One mob was even selling them at 2 for $80.
Might be worth stocking Mark, great bit of kit
in a Dawes package, no drilling ,welding etc.
Where they originally drilled mine was under the IC
in the alloy, since changing it I had to re adjust big time.
All Teflon hose cracked so kept winding boost into it all good now though. lol
Going to change mine from the straight 4mm hose barb to an elbow,
just might make it look a tad neater

Craigo4655
3rd July 2016, 09:15 PM
Just on those adapter kits is it really worth the extra 20-30 bucks for the two bolts and 2 spacers? Ive left my engine cover in the back for now whilst I contemplate the ARE Upgrade Cooler....

Corsta0211
2nd October 2016, 06:13 PM
It looks like you have a nice rig there.

Craigo4655
2nd October 2016, 08:01 PM
It looks like you have a nice rig there.

Cheers Corsta!! Ive since popped a Roo Systems Tent up top, just got the IWG75 Wastegate Actuator while I consider a chip....... The bugs bitten 😁😁😁😁

Ryanbaxwar
7th January 2017, 03:03 PM
very nice bus mate, and some good information on this thread

maltalian0
25th March 2017, 07:37 PM
Nice rig mate. Just recently bought a GU as well.

threedogs
25th March 2017, 07:43 PM
Nice rig mate. Just recently bought a GU as well.

put some pictures up of your Patrol in the Members ride section.
That way you can follow your build $$$$$$$$$$$ ha ha ha ha

neilehh
27th April 2017, 02:45 PM
done a great job mate beautiful and such an informative read. thanks