PDA

View Full Version : Beach driving

rfrom7inoz
17th April 2011, 03:12 AM
Hi all,

New to the forum and also new to Oz. I am a keen on surfing and spearfishing and would like to find out what regulations are in place w.r.t beach driving in S.A. Is it allowed? If yes, are there no go zones?

Thanks

Roy

growler2058
17th April 2011, 07:07 AM
Gday Roy there are beaches around Metro Adel moana no good for drivin tho. Head down to Goolwa Beach down to the murray mouth good for fishin some times surf down there. Dont rekon id sper down the mouth bit Sharky for that. We used to spear around right island down Victor Harbour its between granite island and the bluff. Check regs tho no spearing on scuba, crays or round jettys.
Forgood beach driving you need to go South East SaltCK Robe to Beachport, Beachport to Southend Southend to Carpenters Rocks. Sand can be very very soft go with a mate many a vehicle has been stuck in this sand and needless to say salt water and cars dont mix real well. Lots of the beaches are closed winter time as it is so soft driver beware. Southend caravan pk real good with cabins powered sites and heaps of camp site behind the dunes.

rfrom7inoz
18th April 2011, 11:30 PM
Thanks mate. I'm starting in Adelaide for 7 weeks, but settling in Mount Gambier thereafter. So your advice will be well heeded. Going to try and hook up with some locals for dive buddies, otherwise i'll invest in a sharkpod and take my chances.... "rather die knowing than die wandering" :-). As to the beach driving, I'll be taking that very slowly as I have zero 4x4 experience, so baby steps there. Will also try to find some enthusiasts in the area and first pick up some skills before I try my own luck. Thanks again

growler2058
19th April 2011, 06:57 AM
Thanks mate. I'm starting in Adelaide for 7 weeks, but settling in Mount Gambier thereafter. So your advice will be well heeded. Going to try and hook up with some locals for dive buddies, otherwise i'll invest in a sharkpod and take my chances.... "rather die knowing than die wandering" :-). As to the beach driving, I'll be taking that very slowly as I have zero 4x4 experience, so baby steps there. Will also try to find some enthusiasts in the area and first pick up some skills before I try my own luck. Thanks again

Half ya luck mate there is plenty of diving to do down that part of the world and its crayfish country mmmmmmmmmm.(not at the mount) There are a couple of 4wd clubs down that way as well, will pay to get some local advice on drivin the sand. Our first time down southend to carpenters rocks nearly caught all three 4wds out, but they were lesser breeds 2xjeeps 1xprado some very very anxious moments and lotsa diggin

rfrom7inoz
20th April 2011, 11:34 PM
Now that's what i'm talking about! Looking forward to pulling some of those out! Man! Are the crays generally that size, or that one an exception? Thanks again for the feedback.

growler2058
21st April 2011, 09:03 AM
mate i cheated a bit there thats from King island but thay do have good crays down that neck of the woods. we stay at the southend caravan park right next to the warf and get crays whole or meat only. from the monger there yuuummmmmmmmo

rfrom7inoz
22nd April 2011, 12:51 AM
Ha ha. Thx for the honesty :-) Still looking forward to testing the waters.

304troll
1st September 2011, 08:03 PM
hey rfrom7inoz just wondering how you went moving down to mount gambier and if you have ventured over the sand dunes any where from carpenters rocks to robe ??

i live in millicent which is like 10 mins from sand hills and am constantly over there in my rig
Your right growlers pick the wrong time and the sand is mega soft ive seen ppl loose their cars on those beaches from neglegence

IF IN DOUBT LET MORE AIR OUT b4 you get bogged or stuck generally work on most beaches =)

good luck anyway mite see ya round the tracks

rfrom7inoz
16th March 2012, 11:55 PM
Hey troll. Finally back on the forum!
Settled in nicely in the mount, thx. Been doing a bit of driving at cape Douglas. Been for a short drive into Canunda from south end side. Very nearly got bogged other side of beach port that same day! Had a great drive through little dip @ robe... That one section of beach there is pretty hectic!

Mostly been cruising up and down the coast looking for surf and dive spots.

I work in Millicent once a week, nice town. Still want to go into Canunda from Millicent side and drive through to carpenters rocks at some stage.

Later

belzi82
19th March 2012, 02:06 PM
Settled in nicely in the mount, thx. Been doing a bit of driving at cape Douglas. Been for a short drive into Canunda from south end side. Very nearly got bogged other side of beach port that same day! Had a great drive through little dip @ robe... That one section of beach there is pretty hectic!

I work in Millicent once a week, nice town. Still want to go into Canunda from Millicent side and drive through to carpenters rocks at some stage.

Later

Love that area - my family is from Casterton - about an hour from the Mount (vic side). I am planning on heading home that way after loveday.
Beachport to Robe is some of the best sand driving I have ever done, you will have to organise a trip up that way I am sure there will be several members who would want to come.

Have you checked out the beach driving at Portland????

rfrom7inoz
19th March 2012, 02:23 PM
No not yet... Too much exploring to do locally :-)

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?vajy1b

bordertech
20th April 2012, 09:49 PM

LaterWatch out on Geltwood beach but down to 10 psi in the tyres you should be ok.

rfrom7inoz
28th April 2012, 01:41 AM
Thx mate. Will be weary!

jimmi
18th March 2013, 03:24 AM
im still kinda new to adelaide (2 yrs) are there any 4x4 beaches with quad access as well? there is a guy at kingston that allows dual roost (atv club) to ride there, but im after something that i can 4x4, camp and ride any time of year. any ideas?

BigRAWesty
18th March 2013, 03:32 AM
Thx mate. Will be weary!

G day mate. I'm a mount g man myself. Did you end up down here?

im still kinda new to adelaide (2 yrs) are there any 4x4 beaches with quad access as well? there is a guy at kingston that allows dual roost (atv club) to ride there, but im after something that i can 4x4, camp and ride any time of year. any ideas?

As mentioned up top down south end is really the only decent play area which your after.
If your after just some scrub bashing then head for the hills mate. Plenty of nice quiet tracks up threw there..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

Bluecrab
26th May 2013, 09:56 AM
GDAY, im Darren from Adelaide. I go SE amap during oct-may. Tow the cub camper, lookn for crays, abs. got 7yrs exp diving, alwaz lookn 4 a buddy, and back up in the dunes. give me a call? Email- scubabluecrab@gmail.com or 0458261217 Cheers

Mickyd188
31st July 2013, 04:27 PM
yeah its nice at south end, watch the beaches, they can eat you up at a drop of a hat