PDA

View Full Version : P 40 Serial Number

Alex Ruby
12th July 2010, 02:21 AM
Hello Everyone, I'm new to this website. I have been bouncing all around the internet for the past 8 months looking for someone with the ability of looking up the serial number that is on a P40 engine to tell what year and make vehicle the engine is from. I understand that the P40 was in Patrols as well as Nissan Cabstars and Forklift.
The serial number is as follows:
P
S23696

Thanks for taking time to read. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Minx
12th July 2010, 09:10 AM
Welcome to the forum Alex.

I know this site doesnt have that function but hopefully someone here can help ya.

patch697
12th July 2010, 10:01 AM
Have you tried Nissan themselves? I did a search but suspect you would have already found all the info I just did.

Cheers
Paul

Alex Ruby
12th July 2010, 11:54 AM
Yeah, I've tired several different people with Nissan. Nobody seemed to want to take time to help...they just kept referring me to someone else. I've even tired Nissan Japan and couldn't find anyone that spoke English. Do you know any contacts with Nissan that I could contact? What did you discover in your search on the internet? This whole process has been a huge learning experience and have run into alot of great people along the way.

Thanks, Alex Ruby

patch697
12th July 2010, 12:23 PM
Yeah, I've tired several different people with Nissan. Nobody seemed to want to take time to help...they just kept referring me to someone else. I've even tired Nissan Japan and couldn't find anyone that spoke English. Do you know any contacts with Nissan that I could contact? What did you discover in your search on the internet? This whole process has been a huge learning experience and have run into alot of great people along the way.

Thanks, Alex Ruby

Mate I got a contact through a dealership but he is telling me the chances of him finding out anything is slim at best as Nissan motor company do not have a engine number cross referencing system only a VIN cross referencing system.

Cheers
Paul

patch697
12th July 2010, 03:45 PM
Just had my mate get back to me & no luck sorry to say. That is going to prove to be a pain but I wont give up & will post back here if I find out anything.

Cheers
Paul

Alex Ruby
13th July 2010, 01:02 AM
I appreciate your willingness to help out.
Do you or your Nissan contact have any knowledge regarding the elevolution of the P40 engine, ie when the bolt pattern on the flywheel changed. That might help narrow it down.
I own a 1964 L60 Patrol. I bought it about a year ago. It needed a new engine when I bought it. I did quite a bit of research prior to purchasing the remanufactured engine and didn't see anything about the engine ever changing.
When the new engine arrived my mechanic noticed that the existing flywheel and clutch didn't work with the new engine. The bolt patterns are different.
The gentlemen doesn't have a clue what he sold me, just that its a Nissan P40.
I still have the original engine and could ultimately, get it remanufactured, but I would perfer to get the new engine operational.

Thanks, Alex Ruby

DX grunt
13th July 2010, 01:43 AM
Alex,

Does this link help? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_P_engine
If it doesn't, there's still good info we can all learn from

Ross

Alex Ruby
13th July 2010, 01:59 AM
Yeah, I've saw this page when I was researching if the P40 changed at all. I would assume that the "P" that is stamped in my engine references the "P" that is noted on this page, straight 6. But there are five other rows of a combination of numbers and letter that I would assume reference the year and make vehicle the engine came from. Here is the combination of letters and numbers that are stamped on the engine.

P
S23696

I think that the majority of Patrol owners on this site are new than the 1964 that I own. Let me know if you or anyone else can look at the serial number stamped on the engine and let me know if any of these codes jive with the codes on your engines.

Thanks, Alex Ruby

DX grunt
13th July 2010, 02:32 AM
Alex

I'd send a pm to the evil twin on this forum. He's a very knowlegable bloke and there's not much about Patrols he doesn't know about. Give it a try. He goes by ET for short.

Ross
DX grunt

Alex Ruby
13th July 2010, 02:47 AM
DX......what's a pm and where do I find ET?

Thanks, Alex Ruby

DX grunt
13th July 2010, 03:01 AM
A pm is the abreviation for a personal message.

To find out somebody's name, look on the bar thingie up the top of the page to 'Community'. Click on that and a drop down tag will appear. Click on member list and when you get there you can go to 'Filter Results'. Click on the alphabetical first letter of their first name and you will see a page full of names, starting with that same letter.

Scroll down and click on their name. You'll learn heaps about that person. On the left hand side of the screen, you'll see where to send them a private message.

Good luck.

Ross

Alex Ruby
13th July 2010, 03:13 AM
Very cool.
I didn't see a evil twin or ET. Is he evil666?

Thanks, Alex Ruby

DX grunt
13th July 2010, 03:18 AM
the evil twin

DX grunt
13th July 2010, 03:28 AM
the evil twin

How'd ya go Alex?

Alex Ruby
13th July 2010, 04:12 AM
Worked like a charm. Just waiting for ET's response.

DX grunt
13th July 2010, 10:01 AM
Worked like a charm. Just waiting for ET's response.

Good onya. :bananarock: Glad I could help.

Ross

Alex Ruby
13th July 2010, 10:06 AM
I'll post when I hear something back from ET. Thanks for your help.

DX grunt
13th July 2010, 10:08 AM
Where's Reno, NV?

Alex Ruby
13th July 2010, 11:27 AM
Do you know where Sacramento Ca. is? Reno's about 1-1/2 hour east of there. Here is a link to a map. http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Reno&state=NV&country=US&latitude=39.529701&longitude=-119.812798&geocode=CITY.

You ever been over to the United States?

patch697
13th July 2010, 11:34 AM
Do you know where Sacramento Ca. is? Reno's about 1-1/2 hour east of there. Here is a link to a map. http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Reno&state=NV&country=US&latitude=39.529701&longitude=-119.812798&geocode=CITY.

I figured it was Reno in the US but said nothing encase I was wrong. So are you into the stuff that SteeevO's into?

Cheers
Paul

Alex Ruby
13th July 2010, 11:57 AM
Steeevo's into some pretty hard core stuff. I'm just getting started. I'm more of a recreational four wheeler, nothing competative. Where is Steeevo from?

patch697
13th July 2010, 12:38 PM
Steeevo's into some pretty hard core stuff. I'm just getting started. I'm more of a recreational four wheeler, nothing competative. Where is Steeevo from?

Yeah recreational is my thing as well but I do love watching them comp boys do there thing & I don't mind having a drool over there trucks as well.

As for Steve? CA I think but don't know for sure.

Cheers
Paul

DX grunt
13th July 2010, 07:24 PM

No never been east of Sydney. LOL Seen it on a map though.

Alex Ruby
14th July 2010, 02:45 AM
No never been east of Sydney. LOL Seen it on a map though.

It's winter time for you, right? How cold does it get down there? We're just getting started with our summer....best time of the year. Mid 60's at night and high 80's to low 90's in the day, pretty dry too.

Alex Ruby
14th July 2010, 03:10 AM
Yeah recreational is my thing as well but I do love watching them comp boys do there thing & I don't mind having a drool over there trucks as well.

As for Steve? CA I think but don't know for sure.

Cheers
Paul

Yeah, I saw his pictures...he's got California plates. That river he was crossing was gnarly. I'd rather fish it that drive through it.

DX grunt
14th July 2010, 09:26 AM
We are metric here, so I'm guessing it gets down to anywhere between 28 -32 deg. A town near me recently got down to minus 7 deg C. Now that's cold!

Marble Bar, in Western Australia, was recorded at 120.6 deg F (49.2). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marble_Bar,_Western_Australia That's right up north and inland from Port Hedland (on the coast).

Alex Ruby
14th July 2010, 10:12 AM
Ever get any snow?

I was just checking out Gnowangerup on Google Earth. Pretty quite little town?

heyhey_guess_who
14th July 2010, 02:35 PM
Not in Western Australia, its only in the alpine area of Victoria and New South Wales and some in Tasmania. We don't get the blankets of snow like other countries. We have to go and find the snow.

patch697
14th July 2010, 03:37 PM
Not in Western Australia, its only in the alpine area of Victoria and New South Wales and some in Tasmania. We don't get the blankets of snow like other countries. We have to go and find the snow.

Isn't it just the best.....lol

Gotta Love our sun burned country

Cheers
Paul

DX grunt
14th July 2010, 09:27 PM

Apparently it snows in WA every 4-5 years. Read the link. I can see the Stirling Ranges - where the snow falls - from the end of my street. I was born in Victoria and I'm so over snow, it's unbelievable. http://www.feargod.net/wa-snow1.php

Ross

heyhey_guess_who
14th July 2010, 09:38 PM
Apparently it snows in WA every 4-5 years. Read the link. I can see the Stirling Ranges - where the snow falls - from the end of my street. I was born in Victoria and I'm so over snow, it's unbelievable. http://www.feargod.net/wa-snow1.php

RossOver snow! I love the stuff!
I hate the heat. Anything over 25C is too much. Its so uncomfortable.
Its like they say; Its easier to get warm than it is to cool down.

Minx
14th July 2010, 09:40 PM
Im right in the middle folks.

Give me 23 degrees sunny, no wind...arggh.....I'm there!

heyhey_guess_who
14th July 2010, 10:38 PM
Im right in the middle folks.

Give me 23 degrees sunny, no wind...arggh.....I'm there!
Your right on the money with the wind. Wind is the worst thing in existence! (and tojos)

patch697
14th July 2010, 11:35 PM
Your right on the money with the wind. Wind is the worst thing in existence! (and tojos)

The wind is a $hit thats true & I don't like it much myself but if I was stuck in the Mav on a windy day & a TOJO pulled up & offered to recover me then right at that point I would consider that TOJO my friend.......oh hang on this a Patrol forum..Down the TOJOs Grrrrrrrr

Alex Ruby
15th July 2010, 12:48 AM
Yeah, we get a little bit of everything here in Reno....snow, wind and heat. Usually doesn't get too hot here. Highest will be about 38 Celsius. It does get cold in the winter, gets down in the negatives on a regular basis. We're pretty high here, elevation of about 1372 meters. I like it though, you get all four seasons. I grew up in southern California, about an hour north of Los Angles. In the summer it would consistentley get up to 46 Celsius with a hot wind...like a blow drier. I agree...I hate the wind too.

Hey, DX, I haven't received any pm's back from the ET. Do you know of another way to get ahold of him?

DX grunt
15th July 2010, 01:16 AM
I sent him a pm too. He must be very busy, coz normally he's very prompt in responding. He thrives on Patrol adrenelin. He's a Patrol junkie (sorry ET) LOL

Alex Ruby
15th July 2010, 06:21 AM
Yeah, he's probably out tearing up the country side. How often, if ever, do you guys get together?

DX grunt
15th July 2010, 09:51 AM
I belong to a club called the Western Patrol Club www.westernpatrolclub.com in Western Australia and I'm a country member. It's based in Perth and I'm about 3.5hrs drive away. I've made a decision to attend 2 outings a year - not much, but considering I have to drive 700km round trip and the 'play' kilometres - I think it's a fair deal. Obviously I'd like to attend more, but coz I'm a shift worker too, it's a bit too hard.

Take care out there.

Ross

Alex Ruby
15th July 2010, 01:32 PM
That's funny...I was having beers with a good friend of mine after work and told him about this forum and you and me having alot of dialog. He told me that when he was in the US Navy they ported in Perth. This was probably back in the late 70's. He said thet when they ported you could sign up and get bored by a local family. He got hooked up with a group of people that took him to a local pub and then to a radio station. This was a long time ago, was is memory is a little faded, but he remember having a great time.

patch697
15th July 2010, 08:44 PM
That's funny...I was having beers with a good friend of mine after work and told him about this forum and you and me having alot of dialog. He told me that when he was in the US Navy they ported in Perth. This was probably back in the late 70's. He said thet when they ported you could sign up and get bored by a local family. He got hooked up with a group of people that took him to a local pub and then to a radio station. This was a long time ago, was is memory is a little faded, but he remember having a great time.

You gotta love us Aussies Mate the friendliest ppl around.

So when you coming over to check us out for yourself????

We have HOT Girlies..............lol

Cheers
Paul

Alex Ruby
16th July 2010, 03:24 AM
You gotta love us Aussies Mate the friendliest ppl around.

So when you coming over to check us out for yourself????

We have HOT Girlies..............lol

Cheers
Paul

I'd love to. One big problem......no money. It's gonna be a little while before I can save up enough scratch to come over and do it right.

Alex Ruby
16th July 2010, 09:17 AM
I belong to a club called the Western Patrol Club www.westernpatrolclub.com in Western Australia and I'm a country member. It's based in Perth and I'm about 3.5hrs drive away. I've made a decision to attend 2 outings a year - not much, but considering I have to drive 700km round trip and the 'play' kilometres - I think it's a fair deal. Obviously I'd like to attend more, but coz I'm a shift worker too, it's a bit too hard.

Take care out there.

Ross

What's a shift worker?

AB
16th July 2010, 09:33 AM
What's a shift worker?

A shift worker is someone who doesnt have a set working time like 9am to 5pm 5 days a week.

They are normally on a roster and get called up to work at any time day or night and for whatever hours is needed for that shift.

Like the mining industry sometimes has shift workers or, taxi drivers, etc.

It can be quite hard being a shift worker as you may work all through the night and then you may get called up to work again the following day in the afternoon so it stuffs your body clock up a bit.

Minx
16th July 2010, 07:36 PM
Just to clarify, this was intended as a joke, not an actual dig at Grunty. Should perhaps have used a smiling emoticon at the end.

Cheers. One of these would have made a huge difference mate.:1062:

This symbol enables you to write absolute dribble and get away with it...lol

I'm sure he wouldnt give a rats you know what but, you know whats funny?

Text on the computer can be interpreted in so many ways. I once had a humungous fight with a sales rep and we ended up nearly smashing eachothers face in over a simple missinterpreted (not sure thats a word) sentence but after speaking one on one we both ended up cracking ourselves laughing.

Smileys do however show your joking so bring on the pics...lol

Alex Ruby
17th July 2010, 01:04 AM
One of these would have made a huge difference mate.:1062:

This symbol enables you to write absolute dribble and get away with it...lol

I'm sure he wouldnt give a rats you know what but, you know whats funny?

Text on the computer can be interpreted in so many ways. I once had a humungous fight with a sales rep and we ended up nearly smashing eachothers face in over a simple missinterpreted (not sure thats a word) sentence but after speaking one on one we both ended up cracking ourselves laughing.

Smileys do however show your joking so bring on the pics...lol

That's sweet...how did you attached that little smiley drinking?

patch697
17th July 2010, 01:08 AM

G/day Alex hows thing in the good old USA?

Use the "Go Advanced" key mate

Cheers
Paul

Alex Ruby
17th July 2010, 01:48 AM
G/day Alex hows thing in the good old USA?

Use the "Go Advanced" key mate

Cheers
Paul

Summer's in full swing here. Newspaper said its going to hit 100 F or 38 C. It usually doesn't get that hot here. Funny thing is there is still snow up in the mountains. Reno is right at the foot of the Sierra Nevada Mountain Range...Lake Tahoe.

Thanks for the info on the smiley drinking. I'm going to start playing around with it.

Danny
17th July 2010, 09:20 AM

When you click reply to write back, youll see a button on the bottom right that says "go advanced"....it brings up another page to reply back but with more features.

Alex Ruby
10th August 2010, 01:43 AM
I had an amazing stroke of luck over the weekend.

As most of you know, I purchased a replacement P40 engine for my 1964 Patrol and discovered after the engine arrived that it was slightly different. I have been trying to find out what year and make vehicle the replacement P40 engine came from based on the serial numbers that were cast in the block. I kept running into brick walls and was getting no where. About 2 weeks ago I was telling a buddy of mine about wy problems. He suggested to contact a machine shop and see if the parts I needed could be reproduced.

I relayed this information to my mechanic. Both my mechanic and Patrol are about a 4 hour drive from me (Reno Nevada, USA). He thought it was a good idea and worth pursuing. He began calling around to different machine shops in his area (Elko Nevada, USA). One of the machine shops inquired what vehicle he was working on. My mechanic told him he was working on a 1964Nissan Patrol. The guy at the machine shop then told him there was a old boy that has two 1960's Patrols that he was looking to get rid of. Apparently one of the Patrol is just a parts vehicle and the other one is in excellent shape, only needing a new starter. The best part is that he is nearly giving them away, he just wants $200 for the pair.

I figure that I can't go wrong here. Worst case, I purchase both vehicles and have to part out both to get my rig running. Best case, I purchase both vehicles and only have to pillage from the parts vehicle to get my rig running and only have to replace the starter to get the other rig running. Then I either sell the other rig or keep them both.

I am super excited.

AB
10th August 2010, 08:57 AM
Well done Alex, that's a great find!!!

patch697
10th August 2010, 10:39 AM
Mate some of the best bargains are found that way a stroke of luck indeed...... Well done

my third 256
25th August 2010, 07:41 AM
just found this imfo try the link http://www.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl=http://www.earlydatsun.com/img268.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.earlydatsun.com/patrol.html&usg=__ojHhKc_5vvBERxZQ4WxZezxGQ_A=&h=284&w=500&sz=36&hl=en&start=231&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=Evz6a53QBJdw0M:&tbnh=74&tbnw=130&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dpictures%2Bof%2Bnissan%2Bpatrol%2Bmod els%26start%3D216%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26nd sp%3D18%26tbs%3Disch:1

Finly Owner
25th August 2010, 10:43 PM
Alex how lucky can you get?

Alex Ruby
26th August 2010, 01:08 AM
I've always been of the opinion that if its too good to be true it probably is!
So a couple weeks back my mechanic went over to talk to the old boy and look at the Patrols. He wasn't trying to sell two Patrol he was actually selling four for $100. WOW.
One is full operational, has a really bad oil leak but not a bad little rig. Wouldn't take a whole lot to make it a realiable rig. One is in decent shape needs the engine rebuilt and the other two are strictly parts car, no hope of running without a major overhaul.
Everything checked out the the Patrols and the old boy who is selling them. I talked to a friend of my brothers who is a Police Officers in the little town where the old boy lives. He's been there forever and a total straight shooter.
So I paid the $100 and got the titles. My mechanic is still making arraingement to get the Patrols over to his shop.
With any luck here in the next couple of months, I'll be the proud ower of three 1960's Nissan Patrol. I've read that less than 3,000 of these Patrols were ever brought over here. It's just amazing that this old boy had four of them.....now I have five.
To me, what's even more amazing than the fact he had four of them is the price he was selling them for. I've seen the side doors selling for $300 a pair, rear ambulance doors selling for $200 a pair, instrument cluster selling for $75 each.....etc. Just the scrap value for the steel is worth more that $100. I've got no idea why he sold them for so cheap, but I'm not going to look a gift hourse in the mouth.
If anyone know of someone who needs parts from the 1960's series Patrol just have them drop me a line.
As soon as I get some picutres I'll post.
Thanks, Alex Ruby

Alex Ruby
26th August 2010, 01:15 AM
just found this imfo try the link http://www.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl=http://www.earlydatsun.com/img268.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.earlydatsun.com/patrol.html&usg=__ojHhKc_5vvBERxZQ4WxZezxGQ_A=&h=284&w=500&sz=36&hl=en&start=231&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=Evz6a53QBJdw0M:&tbnh=74&tbnw=130&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dpictures%2Bof%2Bnissan%2Bpatrol%2Bmod els%26start%3D216%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26nd sp%3D18%26tbs%3Disch:1

Here's a link to what these Patrol look like. There not as clean as this one is, but this will give you guys an idea. http://www.spudsgarage.com/vehicles/64NissanPatrol/index.htm

Alex Ruby
16th September 2010, 07:08 AM
Here are some pictures of the Patrols that we stumbled upon. I'm super stoked about the red one, just needs a new starter. The orange has an excellent engine and the white needs a lot of love. Plan right now is to yank the motor out of the orange one and put it in the Patrol we've been messing around with for the past year. Then when the resources are available ($$$$$$), get the engine in the red one worked on, leaks an obscene amount of oil. The white one I have a pegged for a good buddy of mine, minus the engine, I'm gonna drop that into the orange one, again when I have money. My buddy wants to do his own thing with it, probably drop in a Chevy 350 and make it a rock crawler. You can barely see the fourth on in the background of one of the pictures of the white one. It will only be good for selling as body parts.

The father of the old boy I bought them from owned a dealership that sold these rigs back in the 60's and 70's.

patch697
16th September 2010, 07:38 AM
Great to see you back again Alex & top score too BTW.

Sounds like your well & truly on your way new so keep us posted on you progress.

Cheers
Paul