PDA

View Full Version : Auto Hubs

Eds where?
16th April 2011, 04:23 PM
Hi I have an intermittent noise coming from my front hubs. It sounds like something hitting spokes and when you come to a stop a thud happends. When I bought the car the hubs was in lock position so when I noticed it 3 days later I moved it to auto and thats when the noise started. It some times lasts 30 seconds and other times all day! I have tried it back in lock but it didn't do it. Any ideas?
Cheers
Ed

YNOT
16th April 2011, 11:08 PM
Check this thread Ed; http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?596-Fixing-GQ-GU-auto-hubs&highlight=fixing+auto+hubs

Tony

the evil twin
16th April 2011, 11:16 PM
The dude who sold you the car put them in "locked" because the Hubs are either stuffed or badly in need of a service and he was covering that up... I would lean towards stuffed.

The 'thud' might just be a bit of transmission windup, so service the hubs and see how you go

Eds where?
17th April 2011, 01:36 AM
I bought the patrol from a dealer so with this info in mind I will be taking it back under warranty. Will see if they try and fob me off?
Will it harm the car running them in the lock possition as it does not seam to make the noise?

growler2058
17th April 2011, 08:06 AM
My belief is to never run ur hubs locked on the blacktop

AB
17th April 2011, 08:22 AM
I bought the patrol from a dealer so with this info in mind I will be taking it back under warranty. Will see if they try and fob me off?
Will it harm the car running them in the lock possition as it does not seam to make the noise?

Hi Ed, yes mate I would be taking that back asap with this info and get that sorted now before it becomes a more serious problem.

YNOT
17th April 2011, 08:50 AM

Running on blacktop with the hubs locked is OK, just make sure you stay in 2wd. The problems start when you have the hubs locked AND 4wd selected.
It sounds like you hubs are faulty, if they are not fixed or replaced soon it could do further damage to axles and CV joints.

Tony

the evil twin
17th April 2011, 08:22 PM
Yeah, what the boys all said...

Put them back in locked and you can drive OK in 2WD till you get it back to them.

If the dealer was dodgy enough to lock 'em for sale then he is also probably dodgy enough to botch any service or repair BUT give hime the option certainly.

I would be getting a second opinion if the Dealer does "fix" them as that thud could possibly be something more serious

Eds where?
18th April 2011, 09:11 PM
Ok will keep them locked until the garage can book me in. Thank you for your help guys

Chambo Off to Work We Go
23rd May 2011, 11:26 PM
I had same problem middle of last year.
My auto hubs kept clicking and then the thud.
Got fed up with it and put AVM manual hubs on and haven't had a problem since.

Seems to be quite a few people have had this problem with the Auto hubs and this seems to be the standard approach.
Don't know why some do the clicking and some don't.

Reckon the AVM hubs were somewhere about $330 from ARB.

XLR8
23rd May 2011, 11:56 PM
Can I suggest, before doing anything, jack the front up and sit the diff on stands. Set the hub to auto and rotate each wheel to see if they spin freely. Also watch for movement in the drive shaft while the wheels are turning. If the shaft turns the hubs are not unlocking and need to be serviced. If the wheels spin freely, it may be a bigger problem whereby drive is being transferred through the axle causing the hub to lock in. This is common in auto hubs where Lokkas are a factor

dassloth
5th June 2011, 03:24 PM
The "thud" is when the hub engages at speeds below 30kph. easy to fix for you of the dealer. check to make sure transfer case has dexIII in it, if not drain fill with it.
Secondly remover the auto hubs in the locke position degrease them place a small amount of molly grease in the end of them (splined part), then tip a cap or two of engine oil in to the outer part and refit. i have done this and no longer have the greif of clack clack clack-thud :). i had to do this as the dealer i bought if off (couldn't fault it).

Eds where?
7th June 2011, 10:52 PM
Ok guys managed to find my password! lol. Up date on my hubs, it's been back in the garage and they had a look at the diff oil and it was far too thick! some garage had put the wrong grade in! thats why it mainly did it when it was cold, thick oil was pushing hubs into lock, when it warmed up oil became thinner and hubs we're fine. So they changed front & back oil under warrenty. now thats why I dont trust garages, if you want a job doing do it your self.... by the way the thud sound was the rear exaust snapped off above the axel (from 4x4ing but don't tell the wife)

growler2058
8th June 2011, 04:49 AM
Ooops won't tell a sole